Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:15 AM

General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction - Properties (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction (4367409 Views)

Discuss Anything Property And Lets Make Money In The Process / Residential Building Construction Mistakes In Nigeria You Need To Avoid / General Topic Thread - The Roforofo Thread Of Construction Activities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (3662) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:29am On Aug 28, 2015
brabus:

Yes it is. You can drive down the cost of doing a coping using this method by 50% when you compare the cost with the traditional method and materials needed.

Thank you Oga Brabus. The information has been saved for future implementation for cost saving.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by segcymoor(m): 3:51am On Aug 28, 2015
brabus:

Yes it is.

Materials needed:

1. Cement
2. Sharp Sand
3. Plywood (to make the templates)
4. Water
5. Binding wire
6. Concrete Nails
7. PVC sheets or Any other items to cover the block holes.
8. Skilled artisans to cast the precast belts and a bricklayer to finish the top surface.

You can drive down the cost of doing a coping using this method by 50% when you compare the cost with the traditional method and materials needed.

1. Various sizes of planks
2. Nails
3. 8mm or 10mm iron rods
4. Binding wire
5. PVC sheets or any other materials to cover the block holes
6. Sharp sand
7. Gravel or Granite (1/2 inch down)
8. Cement
9. Carpenter
10. Iron bender
11. Casters
12. Bricklayer to plaster after casting
13. Extra cost of plastering
I actually find it difficult to agree with you guys that precast copings does save cost in comparison.

As a matter of fact, one may do conctrete in-situ without any reinforcement and no need for iron bender grin
Even, ordinary stone dust may do and no need of plastering (Yes. But if one used marine plywood or nylon)

However, precast is more beautiful eventually.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by mufutau55(m): 3:54am On Aug 28, 2015
segcymoor:

I actually find it difficult to agree with you guys that precast copings does save cost in comparison.
As a matter of fact, one may do conctrete in-situ one without any reinforcement and no need for iron bender grin
Even, ordinary stone dust may do and no need of plastering (Yes. But if one used marine plywood or nylon)

Thank you sir. This is another money saving alternatives... Good suggestions. Noted too.

Hajji M.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 6:42am On Aug 28, 2015
brabus:

I'm not lucky with those old pics. The job was done in early 2013 and painted last year. But the PVCs are just offcuts of the regular types. We just used them to cover the block hollow spaces before pouring the concrete.

Since we tend to have a lot of this would broken tiles not work in place of the pvc.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 6:45am On Aug 28, 2015
gabbytabby:

Since we tend to have a lot of this would broken tiles not work in place of the pvc.

Anything that prevent concrete waste will do the magic. Not compulsorily pvc. I used pvc because of its length and I have them in abundance.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 7:09am On Aug 28, 2015
EgunMogaji:

How much is the block?

Did you offer it to us on here or just to limited audience like clients?

If it's adequately priced, I'll decide after calculating price of materials and adding a prudent amount for labour, then I'll buy enough to do my foundation. Even if it's made of titanium alloy, there's still a price point for us consumers.

There is a block maker close to me in ajah his block are of good quality he uses cement sharp, granite dust, machine mixers also his blocks are 180 for 9 Inches and 160 for 6 inches. I would rather use this any day than the 150 and 130 that you find in ipaja ayobo who use myias and dagbolu.

4 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 7:09am On Aug 28, 2015
segcymoor:

As a matter of fact, one may do conctrete in-situ without any reinforcement and no need for iron bender grin

I also share these exact sentiments, how about my barbed wires, where will they be rooted if I don't have my concrete coping?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by skimanski(m): 7:16am On Aug 28, 2015
spyder880:

I also share these exact sentiments, how about my barbed wires, where will they be rooted if I don't have my concrete coping?

Those ones can be Casted in some Hollow sections of the Fence Block Links and the Height Calculated before the Design is Done or Can still be done Properly after the Design, before you block off the Top
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 7:22am On Aug 28, 2015
skimanski:

Those ones can be Casted in some Hollow sections of the Fence Block Links and the Height Calculated before the Design is Done or Can still be done Properly after the Design, before you block off the Top

Okay, this throws up more cost as the longer poles will cost more, and do you say it could be done after the design? which means we still cast with concrete? Then where is the savings?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 7:33am On Aug 28, 2015
spyder880:

Bros, there's no rule that says those Y angle iron must be installed at a particular point. I'm my case, I planned using electric wire and the pipes will be installed on the columns (concrete columns anyway) which are standing at 3m interval.

This method is not just about function. It's about function and aesthetics with less wahala. Sorry to say this, if I have a way of doing without carpenters in my projects, I'll do so without a second thought.
90% of formwork end up been a waste in the long run. And most beautiful structures we see on houzz today aren't constructed using our traditional approach.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by gabbytabby: 7:36am On Aug 28, 2015
rotecch77:
More of it

I only have one fence left to do as the others have been done the traditional way.

My bricklayer also does the work of a skilled artisan. We are going to drive down cost even more cos what we are going to use is

For fence coping materials

sharp sand
plaster sand
cement
broken blocks/pvc to cover the holes.

watch this space for pictures.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 7:44am On Aug 28, 2015
brabus:

Bros, there's no rule that says those Y angle iron must be installed at a particular point. I'm my case, I planned using electric wire and the pipes will be installed on the columns (concrete columns anyway) which are standing at 3m interval.

This method is not just about function. It's about function and aesthetics with less wahala. Sorry to say this, if I have a way of doing without carpenters in my projects, I'll do so without a second thought.
90% of formwork end up been a waste in the long run. And most beautiful structures we see on houzz today aren't constructed using our traditional approach.

Y angle irons must be installed about 1.2 meters if you are not using electric fencing bros, else they will be without adequate supports. What I understand is that the cost saving method will work for only those doing electric fencing? There is need for carpenters in the fence coping, the type of fence coping I do adds a layer of reinforcement to the top of the fence. Making it difficult to collapse either by natural or man made impacts. Remember, a fence is a security unit, the first point of protection for the house.

Those fence you see on houzz? They are not in rural Nigeria, where there are no police patrol vans parked to protect common man like us, in fact, they can do without a fence grin

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 8:03am On Aug 28, 2015
Oga spyder880, when I say there's no rule. I mean the Y irons can be on pillars and in block holes.

Anyway, it's a great way to start a new day. Nice discussion.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by abdulwastecx(m): 8:04am On Aug 28, 2015
skimanski:
MAke Una no use Arthritis Derail this thread. Na una talk am say no Other topic. Infact no laff for this Thread on Serious issues. lol cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

Now my 2 kobo on this matter of Materials used in Nigerian Architecture. Like I always say, it depends on the balance between the client, the economy and contractor. i.e what the contractor has in store, what the Client is ready to accept and what the economy can favour.

1 THE ECONOMY
The Nigerian Economy isn't organized enough to enable a company that produces the wood they use in Building houses to stay and make profits. Hence me must import, there by increasing cost of Building with wood relatively. infact no business they make am, just say some business no get choice other than to stay. I'm even sure that the government will intentionally allow an unfavourable environment for these simple Building business Ideas so as to allow thoses their paddies that have cement Factory all over africa to continue making it.

2 THE CONTRACTOR
Some contractors are too based on how much they can make out of a project, and so if any process will slow that cash flow because they'll have to think extra, then its bye bye to such process. What i think is when contractors pick up a project. the first thing they should think of which is what I think of is how best can I make the house the finest and most creative around the environment and not bring a calculator out to calculate how best he can maximise his profit.

CLIENT
Some (Arsene Wenger Mr. BABA IJEBU) clients wants to build cheap house. Them want to use the cheapest labour. them wan use the cheapest professionals, them want the cheapest Architectural design, and the funny thing is them still want the finest Outcome. ahh thats not fair. We will never get a creative house from that. Not possible. How will some1 say he's looking for a tiller that will lay tiles for N200/m2.Make Una still dey sorry for all these workers, some get families ooo. (Oga 3strike, no Strike me oooooo. Na only example i dey make oooo no be u be Arsene Wenger oooo grin grin grin grin grin).

Nigeria economy is big enough to support small to large scale building materials manufacturing, i don't really consider an economy of $540billion ( nominal) or $1.2trillion ( ppp) undeveloped for company that produces these materials to set up base.
market is big if these company can produce cheaper alternatives, e.g if a company processed bamboo flooring panels that cost say N500/m2 and if the panels are well finished like those in China. I'm majority of Nigerians we buy them.

We seriously need to look into cheaper and alternative ways to build better structure. Why spend 5 million naira to build raft on sandy soil that will carry suspended floor with floor load of 30KN/m2.
Why frame bungalows when brick can easily be produce and sold less than N15 for every 150x150x300.

Electricity is a problem but the potential of setting up and running these film is bigger than the Nigeria bottlenecks. we have polystyrene film in Abuja, producing light weight wall panels, concrete facial, slab rib etc. The potential is more and smaller building film can also start.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by spyder880(m): 8:05am On Aug 28, 2015
brabus:
Oga spyder880, when I say there's no rule. I mean the Y irons can be on pillars and in block holes.

Anyway, it's a great way to start a new day. Nice discussion.

Well done bro, how work over there? I hope its not as hard as ours here, rain rain everyday. cheesy

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 8:19am On Aug 28, 2015
spyder880:

Well done bro, how work over there? I hope its not as hard as ours here, rain rain everyday. cheesy

The builders association here don bribe rain o. We even get July break. Now it's August holiday! grin

We are trying small, small.

I referred one Owerri man to you. I think you should get a call from him anytime soon. A student in diaspora who's trying to do something positive. I told him you can help. Make long throat no come kill person.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 8:37am On Aug 28, 2015
@abdulwastecx

A fast growing population without a corresponding rise in mass housing development we are. Let's cut the chase, there's no cheaper alternative to building if we continue the way we are going.

Lagos HOMS is a step in right direction and I wish most government and investors will look into Multi Dwelling Houses. We cannot really talk about driving down costs if we still have to invest heavily on things like septic tank, borehole, and even roads to mention few in every residential builds.

How do they do it in developed countries? Shared facilities. The water plant, sewage system, gas, electricity, etc aren't individual responsibility. Land use is another prob. We are the architect of our own misfortune.

A lot is wrong with the system and we need a good blueprint to get back on track. Honestly, there are good guys doing it right now. Warri business park, rivtaf in PH, UPDC and so many developers have stepped up their game.

So the small builders also need to bring in the A-game and see how we can drive down the cost of construction without compromising on quality.

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by peaceland(m): 11:14am On Aug 28, 2015
Good day all;
Initially this thread seems to be only about wine & women and I was totally uninterested.
Thankfully the boat seems to be moving in more interesting directions now.
I am really trying to crack my head on how to go about finishing of a house.
I have a small ongoing project and by the time I ran estimates for the fittings: (POP-PVC-Tiles-Painting-Sanitary fittings-Electrical fittings-PHCN-Solar power-Fence plastering-compound flooring-cabinets/wardrobes) i realized that the cost far outstrips the cost of putting the structures up in the first place!!!.
I will appreciate some tips on how to go about this. Trust me the estimates are all simple ones; not fanciful so when I see a lot of fanciful things going on; I keep wondering how people are doing it really.
This project makes me to really appreciate my parents a lot; they were able to achieve theirs with much more less resources and more mouths to feed!!.
As an aside; Please how do you determine the type of PVC clips (U; H; L) to use for a building ceiling. Thank you
Thank you.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by twinskenny(m): 11:31am On Aug 28, 2015
peaceland:
Good day all;
Initially this thread seems to be only about wine & women and I was totally uninterested.
Thankfully the boat seems to be moving in more interesting directions now.
I am really trying to crack my head on how to go about finishing of a house.
I have a small ongoing project and by the time I ran estimates for the fittings: (POP-PVC-Tiles-Painting-Sanitary fittings-Electrical fittings-PHCN-Solar power-Fence plastering-compound flooring-cabinets/wardrobes) i realized that the cost far outstrips the cost of putting the structures up in the first place!!!.
I will appreciate some tips on how to go about this. Trust me the estimates are all simple ones; not fanciful so when I see a lot of fanciful things going on; I keep wondering how people are doing it really.
This project makes me to really appreciate my parents a lot; they were able to achieve theirs with much more less resources and more mouths to feed!!.
As an aside; Please how do you determine the type of PVC clips (U; H; L) to use for a building ceiling. Thank you
Thank you.

God will surely provide for you sir.. and u will have a house of.your dream
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by smiley001(m): 11:58am On Aug 28, 2015
seriously learning from my Papas.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by kopell: 1:21pm On Aug 28, 2015
@peaceland, God will help you complete the project. You took the right step by starting it, but let me quickly correct your impression about this thread. It as never being of wine, women or girls from the begining. It's about serous minded people with interest in building and builders share ideas and knowledge on how to do this right.

2 Likes

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by peaceland(m): 1:39pm On Aug 28, 2015
Thanks,
my 'impression' was meant as a joke; I follow some good people here so gets regular updates.
Thanks. Just want us all to concentrate not only on building the structure but also on furnishing it which seems to be an aspect lacking adequate attention on NL.

kopell:
@peaceland, God will help you complete the project. You took the right step by starting it, but let me quickly correct your impression about this thread. It as never being of wine, women or girls from the begining. It's about serous minded people with interest in building and builders share ideas and knowledge on how to do this right.
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 4:05pm On Aug 28, 2015
peaceland:
Thanks,
my 'impression' was meant as a joke; I follow some good people here so gets regular updates.
Thanks. Just want us all to concentrate not only on building the structure but also on furnishing it which seems to be an aspect lacking adequate attention on NL.

We shall get there
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by Nobody: 4:29pm On Aug 28, 2015
kopell:
@peaceland, God will help you complete the project. You took the right step by starting it, but l[b]et me quickly correct your impression about this thread. It as never being of wine, women or girls from the begining. It's about serous minded people with interest in building and builders share ideas and knowledge[/b] on how to do this right.

Ditto.

And creating a "serious" thread to ask questions is always free and the office is open 24/7
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by peaceland(m): 4:59pm On Aug 28, 2015
Thanks
on a lighter note:
Sir; anytime I see your username here I always fear fear!
The pictures of those who bears the name (as nicknames) is truly awesome.

EgunMogaji:

Ditto.

And creating a "serious" thread to ask questions is always free and the office is open 24/7
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 5:37pm On Aug 28, 2015
We are sorry Oga Peaceland.. But we are not really sorry

Because this thread is like a pub. It was created to unwind, talk about work, ideas, make friends, sip some non-alcoholic henessy. grin and all about ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. Contracts are sealed in at Ibadan Tennis Club, Polo club, Rec club etc while playing Tennis or Golf..

If you won't mind a bottle of nonalcoholic Hennessey at the Ibadan Tennis club, you're welcome..

Even serious people should unwind don't you think?

1 Like

Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 5:37pm On Aug 28, 2015
gabbytabby:

There is a block maker close to me in ajah his block are of good quality he uses cement sharp, granite dust, machine mixers also his blocks are 180 for 9 Inches and 160 for 6 inches. I would rather use this any day than the 150 and 130 that you find in ipaja ayobo who use myias and dagbolu.

You're one of a kind..
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by KolaShangOne(m): 5:42pm On Aug 28, 2015
@ericko2k2 You talked about using a mixer for mortar.. Doesn't work. The sand and cement mixture with water tends to stick to the sides of the mixer.

What do u think?
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by BankeSmalls(f): 6:01pm On Aug 28, 2015
HAAA! grin

I smell a con grin grin

I think brabus/nexthome/bosun is out of job and seriously looking for another mugu to fall, that is why he's been yarning a lot of trash of recent in the hope of catching another victim. grin grin grin maybe his money is finish grin

brabus dey view grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 6:02pm On Aug 28, 2015
KolaShangOne:
@ericko2k2 You talked about using a mixer for mortar.. Doesn't work. The sand and cement mixture with water tends to stick to the sides of the mixer.

What do u think?
It works like magic I have done this b4.U can check youtube. Cement and sand mix proper. How do you think they do it I. The west to lay brick?I'm at wrk wen I gt home I will post you a clip on here
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by erico2k2(m): 6:04pm On Aug 28, 2015
KolaShangOne:
We are sorry Oga Peaceland.. But we are not really sorry

Because this thread is like a pub. It was created to unwind, talk about work, ideas, make friends, sip some non-alcoholic henessy. grin and all about ANYTHING and EVERYTHING. Contracts are sealed in at Ibadan Tennis Club, Polo club, Rec club etc while playing Tennis or Golf..

If you won't mind a bottle of nonalcoholic Hennessey at the Ibadan Tennis club, you're welcome..

Even serious people should unwind don't you think?
Me want Origin. I discovered that drink December last year grin grin
Re: General Topic Thread-To Discuss Anything And Everything in Building Construction by brabus(m): 6:20pm On Aug 28, 2015
erico2k2:

It works like magic I have done this b4.U can check youtube. Cement and sand mix proper. How do you think they do it I. The west to lay brick?I'm at wrk wen I gt home I will post you a clip on here

You're very right. I have an electric mixer used for that purpose. Mixing concrete for interlock stones, small lintel works and mortar mixes. But the bricklayers didn't find this easy.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (3662) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: tikristinimi21, walexyll(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.