Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,737 members, 7,802,219 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:14 AM

I Was Eager To Meet With PMB Over Good Governance – Ban Ki-moon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Was Eager To Meet With PMB Over Good Governance – Ban Ki-moon (707 Views)

Nigerians Mock Tinubu For Blasting Kachikwu Instead Of PMB Over Petrol Scarcity / Buhari, Obama, Ban Ki-Moon At UN General Meeting (Photos) / Corruption Probe: GEJ In Secret Meeting With PMB - Sahara Reporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Was Eager To Meet With PMB Over Good Governance – Ban Ki-moon by wise7(m): 7:12am On Aug 25, 2015
The United Nations secretary general, Mr. Ban Ki-Moon, yesterday said that he was impatient to meet with President Muhammadu Buhari due to his strong political commitment to good governance, participatory democracy and his commitment to fighting terrorism.

In his address at a dialogue on democracy, human rights, development, climate change and countering violent extremism, hosted by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Abuja and chaired by Vice President Yemi Osinbajo, Ban Ki-Moon stated that he was in Nigeria to visit President Buhari and to ensure strong United Nations (UN) partnership with the country.
He commended Buhari for pledging to tackle inequality and corruption in his inaugural speech, urging the government against marginalising the citizens.

Ban Ki-Moon urged Nigeria to tackle terrorism and extremism, noting that insecurity takes root due to mismanagement of resources, injustice, marginalisation of vulnerable and minority groups and inequality.

He stated that the UN has the ambition of ensuring sustainable development goals, ensuring gender parity, ending hunger and poverty and combating corruption by 2030.
The secretary-general stressed the importance of tackling climate change, noting that sustainable development goals may not be realised without addressing the phenomenon.

He said, “Apart from the Chibok schoolgirls, many other boys and children have been kidnapped by Boko Haram. But why has insecurity and extremism been able to take root among the people?

“I think that comes from mismanagement, bad governance, inequality and injustice. When you have no hope for your future, when leaders do not care about inclusive government, people find some other ways. The five-year war in Syria started because the leaders had not been paying attention to the people and the country became a perfect breeding ground for extremism.”
In his remark, Osinbajo noted that about 110million Nigerians are poor, adding that the government is working to develop the nation’s economy so that the citizens could be empowered.

He stated that the federal government would continue to work hard to provide jobs and alternatives for Nigerians.

On climate change, he said Nigeria will join the rest of the world in tackling the menace.

The Sultan of Sokoto, Alhaji Sa’ad Abubakar, urged the United Nations secretary general to assist Nigeria to recover its stolen money stashed in foreign countries by corrupt politicians.

Source :http://leadership.ng/news/456129/i-was-eager-to-meet-with-pmb-over-good-governance-ban-ki-moon
Re: I Was Eager To Meet With PMB Over Good Governance – Ban Ki-moon by harysterol: 7:14am On Aug 25, 2015
Ok nice
Re: I Was Eager To Meet With PMB Over Good Governance – Ban Ki-moon by shaddoww: 7:17am On Aug 25, 2015
Good name is better than riches they say
Re: I Was Eager To Meet With PMB Over Good Governance – Ban Ki-moon by Adeyinka12(m): 7:19am On Aug 25, 2015
Is great to have Good leader.
Re: I Was Eager To Meet With PMB Over Good Governance – Ban Ki-moon by Teryfik(m): 7:28am On Aug 25, 2015
Dat is wat appens wen ur leader is a man of INTEGRITY....meanwhile check my signature
Re: I Was Eager To Meet With PMB Over Good Governance – Ban Ki-moon by Factism(m): 7:39am On Aug 25, 2015
Re: I Was Eager To Meet With PMB Over Good Governance – Ban Ki-moon by Emphany: 7:58am On Aug 25, 2015
This paid n obssessed idiats(Buhari people) has started again. I wonder if some people even kw what GOOD GOVERNANCE means. It is too early to criticise as well as too early to judge PMB on governance. To me... I am yet to hear or see his work on GOVERNANCE lets forget the GOOD for now.
Re: I Was Eager To Meet With PMB Over Good Governance – Ban Ki-moon by PassingShot(m): 7:59am On Aug 25, 2015
TANoids will not like this news. They have special averseness to good news.

“Apart from the Chibok schoolgirls, many other boys and children have been kidnapped by Boko Haram. But why has insecurity and extremism been able to take root among the people? “I think that comes from mismanagement, bad governance, inequality and injustice.
Mismanagement of resources (corrupt practices mostly in our case) has caused us many years of development. PDP in the last sixteen years failed to bring glory to Nigeria.
Re: I Was Eager To Meet With PMB Over Good Governance – Ban Ki-moon by ultraGM: 8:00am On Aug 25, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Amaechi Shuns Wike’s Judicial Panel As EFCC Begins Probe / A Passionate Plea To Mr President / If Seun Was A Northerner.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.