Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,545 members, 7,809,002 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:55 PM

Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward (12554 Views)

Jonathan: Hero Or Coward / General Buhari : A Hero Or Villain / Chief Obafemi Awolowo: National Hero Or Villain? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by sammyj: 11:40am On Apr 13, 2015
Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by Gamesmart: 11:42am On Apr 13, 2015
Afam4eva:
I probably would have done what Ogundipe did if i was in his position. I'm saying this as a civilian who has no military background. Ogundipe was simply scared that he'll be wasted just like Aguiyi Ironsi.

And which human beings (bar mentally-ill patients or drugged up addict) do you know that would not be scared of being wasted?

Once you join the army, you are suppose not to fear death?
Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by Gamesmart: 11:44am On Apr 13, 2015
gocare:
To stay to rule a country when you do not have a sufficient power base is simply foolish. And even if you do why would you risk civil war. Far better to seek a mutually beneficial arrangement. Especially when you have a family. After he retired he was killed by a stroke. A result of his high blood pressure.

Please where did you get this info from?
Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by SLIDEwaxie(m): 11:48am On Apr 13, 2015
Bialegend:
A true coward of the highest order. As they say, it is in the blood.
true...I heard he puts on woman wrapper and tied head gear to escape to ivroy coast then... grin grin grin

Mumu

4 Likes

Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by russellino: 7:57am On Dec 14, 2017
Gamesmart:

Some people think until you get yourself killed out of idiocy is the only time you can be seen as "brave", "hero" and "intelligent".

What makes him a Brigadier?

Is it by mere putting the tag on the forehead? Or from an appointment and responsibility to command an army of men?

Some people think it is the former, not the latter.

If those men decide to not take command, how does that reflect on you when you have not done anything out of character to warrant that respond?

I understand your point but he was faced with suicidal devotion to duty or retreat from sure death. Mandela, Ojukwu, and many others have done it all through history. I am sure he thought Nigeria would break as the northerners were calling for araba

1 Like

Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by stonemasonn: 8:21am On Dec 14, 2017
Gamesmart:

This is the kind of stupidity many see as heroism and bravery.

What did Fajuyi achieve with his action?

Nothing.

He is dead, the person he tried to protect is dead, the people that killed them ruled Nigeria for years.

Choosing meaningless death is heroic?
I wonder why there were few yoruba soldiers in the army
Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by Duru1(m): 8:40am On Dec 14, 2017
maxsiollun:
Fajuyi did not give his life for Ironsi. It seems he was a target of the northern mutineers all along and would have been killed with Ironsi regardless. It was the Western Region publication "Fajuyi The Great" that started the myth that Fajuyi "chose to die with Ironsi". The myth was later embellished in subsequent publications. One of the most ridiculous of which was Fajuyi: The Martyred soldier, by Sanmi Ajiki. Ajiki claimed that Fajuyi told Ironsi: "I make bold to declare to you that, I am with you soul, spirit and body. And mark my words, whatever happens to you today, happens to me. I am your true friend, dear J.U.T like the dove to the pigeon, and by the grace of our good God, so will I humbly yet proudly remain till the very end." [/i]According to Ajiki, Ironsi replied [i]"Yes! Francis, I retain my absolute confidence in you. I have never for once doubted your integrity." That might sound nice and heroic for their family members, but the accounts given by the soldiers that were present suggest that no such fluffy dialogue took place.

William Walbe (one of the officers that led Fajuyi and Ironsi to their death in Ibadan) publicly confirmed in an interview that Fajuyi was destined to share Ironsi's fate and that they (the northern mutineers) wanted Fajuyi dead because they were convinced he was an ally of the Janaury 1966 Majors and helped them plan their coup. The interview is quoted in Gowon's biography entitled "Gowon: Biogrpahy of a Soldier Statesman".

Lt-Gen Danjuma later corroborated Walbe's account in an interview with a Nigerian army civil war historical team. Danjuma went even further than Walbe and said that the soldiers that killed Ironsi and Fajuyi could not stand Fajuyi. They felt he deserved to die even more than Ironsi.

Nobody in Nigeria tells cock and bull fairy tales like Yari.ba people. These jokers are colorful narrators. Even Capt. Andrew Nwankwo corroborated William Walbe's account.

1 Like

Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by Duru1(m): 8:50am On Dec 14, 2017
maxsiollun:
Ogundipe was no coward. He tried to take over after Ironsi's dissapearance but could not do much because northern soldiers refused to take orders from him. He gave an order to a northern Sergeant in the Federal Guards, and the Sergeant bluntly refused the order and replied "I do not take orders from you until my (northern) captain comes". The Captain was of course Captain Joe Garba.

Funny story indeed. I guess Ogundipe was no coward because he tried to take over by pacing around and cowering inside NNS Nigeria. Even 2Lt Odu who was physically present at the scene of so-called order said it was a fat lie. In addition, Lt. Cdr. Soroh narrated that Ogundipe never left his ship until he boarded another ship to London.

1 Like

Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by PFRB: 8:50am On Dec 14, 2017
Arnold1:

What about Ojukwu who ran to Ivory Coast with millions rather than stay and fight ? Isn't he a coward ?

Ojukwu was a coward. Ogundipe was a coward. Gowon was a coward. Buhari was a coward. Babangida was coward. OBJ was a coward.

1 Like

Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by russellino: 9:30am On Dec 14, 2017
PFRB:

Ojukwu was a coward. Ogundipe was a coward. Gowon was a coward. Buhari was a coward. Babangida was coward. OBJ was a coward.

Obasanjo was the biggest coward

“Then, Murtala was killed. I think it is public knowledge that Obasanjo fled on the day Murtala Muhammed was killed. He remained in hiding until the coup was aborted and he reached out, first, to M.D Yusuf (Inspector-General of Police) who then called him and he came out of hiding, and joined us in Dodan Barracks. -TY Danjuma
Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by gidgiddy: 9:51am On Dec 14, 2017
Ogundipe is a classic case of Yoruba cowardice.

With the death of Ironsi, Brigadier Ogundipe waa next in line to be President as the next highest ranking Officer. But what did he do? He ran away to London without a fight despite the fact that he had the support of two Military Governors, Ojukwu and Ejoor.

Ogundipe could have declared himself commander in chief, rallied his fellow Yorubas in West, Igbos in the East and Governor Ejoor in the Mid-West to stop the Northerners. But he ran away like the true coward he was.

Ogundipe was chased out of Yorubaland, his own fathers land, by Northerners.

At least Ojukwu fought for 3 years before running away, Ogundipe ran away without a fight.

Thats why I laugh at Yorubas who call Ojukwu a coward. At least Ojukwu fought before running away, what did your own son do? Ogundipe submitted to Northern domination like a Chicken

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by oilyngbati(m): 10:14am On Dec 14, 2017
Duru1:

Funny story indeed. I guess Ogundipe was no coward because he tried to take over by pacing around and cowering inside NNS Nigeria. Even 2Lt Odu who was physically present at the scene of so-called order said it was a fat lie. In addition, Lt. Cdr. Soroh narrated that Ogundipe never left his ship until he boarded another ship to London.
grin
Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by slinger: 10:22am On Sep 12, 2019
So, this is 2019 and I'm reading this book - The Biafra Story (The making of an African Legend) - by this British author Frederick Forsyth. In the book, he narrates the events that led to the civil war and mentioned that at some point then Colonel Ojukwu reached out to Brig Ogundipe asking him as the most superior officer to declare himself Supreme Commander that he'd back him.

He says Ogundipe gave a "Crass", 3-minute speech asking everyone to be calm and disappeared to Dahomey from which he migrated to London.

I wouldn't know the exact circumstances and Ogundipe's thought process so I can't say for sure but as a Military Man in that position, I think it is both customary, logical, morally right and even almost honourable that He'd have taken over (Gee! the killings were sporadic and unidirectional - targeting Easterners), get united with the other military governors and prolly given Northern Nigeria their wish for ARABA.

Okay, he eventually migrated to London and became High Commissioner, I haven't found any record of anything he did to assuage tensions in the country from where he was. I think that is messed up.

I wouldn't say he was a coward cos this would be highly opinionated and would depend on perspective, I would say he was a terrible soldier in every sense of the word and doesn't deserve my respect.

And folks who think Ojukwu was a coward, I think you should get your facts right, at least try to. Read about how much wealth his dad amassed across the country and how Ojukwu was fully aware that they'd lose the lot of those if he went to war and still went cos he was fighting for what he believed - that called putting your money and spirit where your mouth is. Have a little respect.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by T9ksy(m): 6:23pm On Sep 13, 2019
stonemasonn:
I wonder why there were few yoruba soldiers in the army

The answer to your silent question is simple- Awo's free education for his people.

Awo was an orphan at the age of 9 yet he rose up to be a luminary lawyer. Even the pepper in the market have dreams of her wards going to greater heights like Awo than se fing them into the military (where she may lose them to war)

It's on record that at that particular time in our history as a young nation, only yorubas didn't fulfill their quota in the armed forces with barely 500 servicemen out of a grand total of 10, 050.

2 Likes

Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by pmartineze(m): 12:42am On Mar 30, 2020
I think Brigadier Ogundipe was not a coward but the environment he found himself didn't allow him to act. Agui ironsi populated national guard with northerners. All the commanders of national guard were northerners. All the officers commanding troops were northerners. Igbos and yorubas occupied positions where they did not command troops. He made wise decision as he commanded no troops. Ironsi caused all the problems.
Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by 989900: 11:54pm On Jun 06, 2020
slinger:
So, this is 2019 and I'm reading this book - The Biafra Story (The making of an African Legend) - by this British author Frederick Forsyth. In the book, he narrates the events that led to the civil war and mentioned that at some point then Colonel Ojukwu reached out to Brig Ogundipe asking him as the most superior officer to declare himself Supreme Commander that he'd back him.

He says Ogundipe gave a "Crass", 3-minute speech asking everyone to be calm and disappeared to Dahomey from which he migrated to London.

I wouldn't know the exact circumstances and Ogundipe's thought process so I can't say for sure but as a Military Man in that position, I think it is both customary, logical, morally right and even almost honourable that He'd have taken over (Gee! the killings were sporadic and unidirectional - targeting Easterners), get united with the other military governors and prolly given Northern Nigeria their wish for ARABA.

Okay, he eventually migrated to London and became High Commissioner, I haven't found any record of anything he did to assuage tensions in the country from where he was. I think that is messed up.

I wouldn't say he was a coward cos this would be highly opinionated and would depend on perspective, I would say he was a terrible soldier in every sense of the word and doesn't deserve my respect.

And folks who think Ojukwu was a coward, I think you should get your facts right, at least try to. Read about how much wealth his dad amassed across the country and how Ojukwu was fully aware that they'd lose the lot of those if he went to war and still went cos he was fighting for what he believed - that called putting your money and spirit where your mouth is. Have a little respect.

You're 90%+ correct.
Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by Throwback: 12:18am On Jun 07, 2020
See intellectual debate without the bigotry that has now engulfed the forum.

I blame the pitiable current state of the forum to the moderators and the owner who are always to slow to action, resulting in a rejoinder to bigotry that eventually escalates into an online war of daily battles.
Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by 989900: 12:18am On Jun 07, 2020
I got a telephone call from Brigadier Ogundipe about ten days after he left the shores of Nigeria. He was speaking from Las Palmas. They had been taken to board the M.V. Aureol the night I dropped them off and the ship set sail the following day at noon.

It was only when they were safely out of the way that the Head of State could make his announcement.

Ogundipe told me they were having a two week holiday in Las Palmas, after which he had been asked to assume duty as the Nigerian High Commissioner in the United Kingdom.

Ogundipe told me that he had been asked to attend the meeting at Lion Building so that he would voluntarily relinquish power to Gowon who was junior to him. As long as Ogundipe was around. Gowon could not assume leadership.

All along, we never knew that this was what was causing the delay in the proclamation of the Head of State.

The 72 hour delay was essential for all key participants to be reconciled, before peace could be restored. My life had taken many strange twists and turns, but never had I imagined that I would be giving shelter to someone who was Head-of-State in waiting!

-Theophilus Oluwole Akindele, a former Director of Communications, narrated this in his ‘Memoir of Mixed Blessings’, The Book Company Limited, 2009, pp.129-140

The full story from Theo and some other sources are online . . . piecing them together, there is no way absolving Brigadier Ogundipe of Nigeria's woes from thereafter.

He was a soldier that carelessly and undeservedly occupied a very sensitive position.

Imagine a Tunde Idiagbon, Fajuyi, or Raji Rasaki in those situation before, during, and after the counter-coup . . . consequences of Ogundipe's act of cowardice, carelessness, and dereliction of service, live with us down to this day.
The least he would have done was to take sides with the Midwest and the East, and we would have ended this North vs South drama once and for all.
Even if he had to run, how about some self-esteem, dignity, honour . . . not be some errand boy high commissioner.

P.S. The OP's illustration didn't actually happen, at least not in the way described.
Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by manuelreports: 4:26am On Jun 07, 2020
To answer your Question
Did any of their tribe carry out any Coup in Nigeria
Corwadice runs in their blood
Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by Nobody: 5:10am On Jun 07, 2020
Bialegend:
A true coward of the highest order. As they say, it is in the blood.

Like Agbariojuwku Ojukwu like ogundipe gringringrin

2 Likes

Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by Nobody: 5:14am On Jun 07, 2020
T9ksy:

U mean this??

2 Likes

Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by Nobody: 5:15am On Jun 07, 2020
Gamesmart:

And which human beings (bar mentally-ill patients or drugged up addict) do you know that would not be scared of being wasted?

Once you join the army, you are suppose not to fear death?

Why then did Agbariojuwku fear death n sacrifice 3 millions Igbos.

Upon that,the present igbo stil serve Fulani

2 Likes

Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by Nobody: 5:19am On Jun 07, 2020
gidgiddy:

With the death of Ironsi, Brigadier Ogundipe waa next in line to be President as the next highest ranking Officer. But what did he do? He ran away to London without a fight despite the fact that he had the support of two Military Governors, Ojukwu and Ejoor.

Ogundipe could have declared himself commander in chief, rallied his fellow Yorubas in West, Igbos in the East and Governor Ejoor in the Mid-West to stop the Northerners. But he ran away like the true coward he was.

At least Ojukwu fought for 3 years before running away, Ogundipe ran away without a fight.

Thats why I laugh at Yorubas who call Ojukwu a coward. At least Ojukwu fought before running away, what did your own son do? Ogundipe submitted to Northern domination like a Chicken

Yes ooo.. My brother you are very right.....

Agbariojuwku fought and ran away... He saved his life and killed 3 millions Igbos... Sacrificed ur fore fathers...

Ogundipe ran and did sacrifice anybody...

Agbariojuwku Ojukwu didn't escape Nigeria as an Ojukwu, he escaped like a pussy gringringringringringringringrin;d

Ogundipe escape like a man with balls n dick grin

U see the difference so??

2 Likes

Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by Nobody: 5:23am On Jun 07, 2020
gidgiddy:

Now see ur leaders bending n licking buhari toes grin

Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by 989900: 6:02am On Jun 07, 2020
Unfortunately, the thread would always take the shallow tribal route.
Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by T9ksy(m): 3:16pm On Jun 07, 2020
timekeeper1:

Yes ooo.. My brother you are very right.....

Agbariojuwku fought and ran away... He saved his life and killed 3 millions Igbos... Sacrificed ur fore fathers...

Ogundipe ran and did sacrifice anybody...

Agbariojuwku Ojukwu didn't escape Nigeria as an Ojukwu, he escaped like a pussy gringringringringringringringrin;d

Ogundipe escape like a man with balls n dick grin

U see the difference so??

@ bolded.....................that's the true definition of a HERO in alaibo parlance!

A "general" who led his people into war and later fled but not before sacrificing 3million of his people on a "chicken run".

He came back, less than a decade after his reprehensible flight to lick the bu.tt hole.s of the same northerners who slaughtered his people during the

war......................but his emotionally-gullible folks named him, a HERO, conferred myriad chieftaincy titles on him such as Ikemba, eze wuruwuru ati

bebelo and also gifted him (for his courage-nay-cowardice) with the prettiest "animashaun"-olosho in the land, as a child bride.

1 Like

Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by Sagay212: 4:29pm On Jun 07, 2020
Call him whatever you like. At least he did not lead millions of his kinsmen to their early grave like agbari ojukwu.
A brave man in igbo land is that man that leads millions of gullible and daft men to war, gets them slaughtered like chickens and absconds to Abidjan dressed like a woman. He got to abidjan and started phucking ashawos with money he stole from his daft followers.

That's the same thing dilector is doing presently. You will think people who claim to be brave and smart would have learnt from their fore father's foo.lishness...but it seems they are cursed with it.

1 Like

Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by Uchek(m): 5:55am On Oct 11, 2023
Agree with u!
Dede1:
As a seasoned soldier, the antics of Brigadier Ogundipe and many other rank and file of Yoruba stock in Nigeria army were not only display of cowardice but lack of vision. If the political actions of Yoruba and the ethnic minorities of southern Nigerian baring the Ibibio, Atama, Annang, Ogoni, Kalabari and Ijo of Bayelsa State were tactical, than it manifested into today’s Nigeria, a complete cesspit. I think the Yoruba sold out for the development of Lagos and few economic leftovers while the ethnic minorities go stadia for their bidding.
Re: Brigadier Ogundipe A Hero Or Coward by Uchek(m): 5:58am On Oct 11, 2023
Interesting!
maxsiollun:
Fajuyi did not give his life for Ironsi. It seems he was a target of the northern mutineers all along and would have been killed with Ironsi regardless. It was the Western Region publication "Fajuyi The Great" that started the myth that Fajuyi "chose to die with Ironsi". The myth was later embellished in subsequent publications. One of the most ridiculous of which was Fajuyi: The Martyred soldier, by Sanmi Ajiki. Ajiki claimed that Fajuyi told Ironsi: "I make bold to declare to you that, I am with you soul, spirit and body. And mark my words, whatever happens to you today, happens to me. I am your true friend, dear J.U.T like the dove to the pigeon, and by the grace of our good God, so will I humbly yet proudly remain till the very end." [/i]According to Ajiki, Ironsi replied [i]"Yes! Francis, I retain my absolute confidence in you. I have never for once doubted your integrity." That might sound nice and heroic for their family members, but the accounts given by the soldiers that were present suggest that no such fluffy dialogue took place.

William Walbe (one of the officers that led Fajuyi and Ironsi to their death in Ibadan) publicly confirmed in an interview that Fajuyi was destined to share Ironsi's fate and that they (the northern mutineers) wanted Fajuyi dead because they were convinced he was an ally of the Janaury 1966 Majors and helped them plan their coup. The interview is quoted in Gowon's biography entitled "Gowon: Biogrpahy of a Soldier Statesman".

Lt-Gen Danjuma later corroborated Walbe's account in an interview with a Nigerian army civil war historical team. Danjuma went even further than Walbe and said that the soldiers that killed Ironsi and Fajuyi could not stand Fajuyi. They felt he deserved to die even more than Ironsi.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Lagos Ohanaeze Lists Conditions For Fashola’s Endorsement / Coronavirus: Buhari Urges ECOWAS To Use Agriculture, Technology To Boost Economy / Nigeria Still Has A Date With Truth!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.