Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,051 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:04 AM

Why Are You A Christian? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are You A Christian? (807 Views)

10 Practical Ways To Battle Sexual Temptation In A Christian's Life / Things That A Christian Shouldn't Buy Or Sell / Is It Right for a Christian to Expose False Prophets and False Teaching ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are You A Christian? by dejiariyo: 6:24pm On Mar 30, 2009
i just wanna know why most of us call ourselves christians and whats are we doing to justify that tag called christians
Re: Why Are You A Christian? by domwas2(m): 7:14pm On Mar 30, 2009
Why we call ourselves Christians?
Because we are Christ like
Act11:26---And when he had found him, he brought him unto Antioch. And it came to pass, that a whole year they assembled themselves with the church, and taught much people. And the disciples were called Christians first in Antioch. {with, : or, in the church}
Eph4:17---¶ This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their min

Why Are You A Christian?
Because we are chosen-
Isaiah 43:10- Ye are my witnesses, saith the LORD, and my servant whom I have chosen: that ye may know and believe me, and understand that I am he: before me there was no God formed, neither shall there be after me. {no, : or, nothing formed of God}

John1:12- But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: {power: or, the right, o

whats are we doing to justify that tag called christians?

1Cor 6:11---And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.
Rom5:9---Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
Re: Why Are You A Christian? by dejiariyo: 10:47pm On Mar 30, 2009
is this why you a christian?i asked you a question that is personal and you are qouting a bible,that means u not following what God said.know him before you worship him not just read and follow
Re: Why Are You A Christian? by KunleOshob(m): 10:57am On Mar 31, 2009
Most christians don't know what it means to be true christian, they just go to church and pretend as if they are holier than thou. True christianity taught and preached by our lord Jesus christ is hardly being practised today. What is being practised today is churchianity. https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-148850.0.html
Re: Why Are You A Christian? by banom(m): 12:27pm On Mar 31, 2009
Because my parents born me into it.
Re: Why Are You A Christian? by origina9ja(f): 12:33pm On Mar 31, 2009
because i'm a follwer of christ and i believe in him
Re: Why Are You A Christian? by KunleOshob(m): 1:25pm On Mar 31, 2009
I think every serious christian should ask his/herself the question the poster has asked and do some serious soul searching. are you really practising christianity the way christ taught us or are you following the teachings of the world.
Re: Why Are You A Christian? by Horus(m): 1:47pm On Mar 31, 2009
We Africans must stop allowing ourselves to be broken down. You Christians are broken up into all kinds of Stupid Splinter groups battling against each other over who's Religion is the right way of life. When you get into Christianity,you have The seventh day Adventist,  the Jehovah's witnesses,The Mormons,The Pentecostals, The Protestants, The Baptists, The Orthodox and the Catholic Church, etc, etc,  And guess what, All of this has been set up to Divide you in mind. And to this point it has worked! Overstand that the power of US Africans coming together Mentally can and will affect the world. But our differences must be put aside for an Agenda that will uplift us all. Not just a select few.
Re: Why Are You A Christian? by georgecso(m): 2:44pm On Mar 31, 2009
[size=14pt]Because my works/good deed alone cannot take me to heaven. Therefore I need Christ (Saviour) in my Life[/size]
Re: Why Are You A Christian? by PastorAIO: 8:38pm On Mar 31, 2009
This is an excellent question.  I have often tried to make the distinction between carrying the title of Christian on the head and actually living the christian life.  This is a very important distinction and one that Christ makes himself. 

"How terrible it will be for you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs that look beautiful on the outside but inside are full of dead people's bones and every kind of impurity.

I know for certain that it is not the professing of christianity that makes one a christian.  On this forum I've been accused of being all sorts from being an atheist (simply for agreeing with evolution) to being a babalawo (for having knowledge of Ifa) etc.  Over the last few weeks I've given some thought to these accusations (I say 'accusations' because they were phrased as accusations).  While I've not being initiated into Ifa so I cannot by any means be called a babalawo there are many precepts found in Ifa that I agree with and would strive to live my life by.  If the aim of Ifa is to achieve Iwa Pele, that is a harmonious state of being, then I share that ambition.  I might go about it differently from the way most Ifa worshippers  go about it but I appreciate the common goal.  Outwardly then I am not a babalawo but inwardly I might even be more aligned to it than the initiates. 

When I read the Tao Teh Ching, I find many precepts that I can apply to my life and take.  Does that make me a Taoist?  Just because I am not wearing the label and going to the group meetings many Taoists might say 'no' I'm not one of them.  But really?  Does it require recognition by A group to become a member of the religion? 

I don't believe that anywhere in the world God leaves himself without a witness such that any discerning person can perceive.  The heavens declare the glory of God.

1 The heavens are telling of the glory of God;
And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
2 Day to day pours forth speech,
And night to night reveals knowledge.
3 There is no speech, nor are there words;
Their voice is not heard.
4 Their line has gone out through all the earth,
And their utterances to the end of the world.

True knowledge of God is all around us.

My position is that all these tags and labels are highly overrated and are often quite meaningless.  Most christians are christian in nothing but the name, while many others are very christian in everything but the name.
Re: Why Are You A Christian? by JeSoul(f): 8:41pm On Mar 31, 2009
Pastor AIO:

This is an excellent question.  I have often tried to make the distinction between carrying the title of Christian on the head and actually living the christian life.  This is a very important distinction and one that Christ makes himself. 

"How terrible it will be for you, scribes and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs that look beautiful on the outside but inside are full of dead people's bones and every kind of impurity.

I know for certain that it is not the professing of christianity that makes one a christian.  On this forum I've been accused of being all sorts from being an atheist (simply for agreeing with evolution) to being a babalawo (for having knowledge of Ifa) etc.  Over the last few weeks I've given some thought to these accusations (I say 'accusations' because they were phrased as accusations).  While I've not being initiated into Ifa so I cannot by any means be called a babalawo there are many precepts found in Ifa that I agree with and would strive to live my life by.  If the aim of Ifa is to achieve Iwa Pele, that is a harmonious state of being, then I share that ambition.  I might go about it differently from the way most Ifa worshippers  go about it but I appreciate the common goal.  Outwardly then I am not a babalawo but inwardly I might even be more aligned to it than the initiates. 

When I read the Tao Teh Ching, I find many precepts that I can apply to my life and take.  Does that make me a Taoist?  Just because I am not wearing the label and going to the group meetings many Taoists might say 'no' I'm not one of them.  But really?  Does it require recognition by A group to become a member of the religion? 

I don't believe that anywhere in the world God leaves himself without a witness such that any discerning person can perceive.  The heavens declare the glory of God.

1 The heavens are telling of the glory of God;
And their expanse is declaring the work of His hands.
2 Day to day pours forth speech,
And night to night reveals knowledge.
3 There is no speech, nor are there words;
Their voice is not heard.
4 Their line has gone out through all the earth,
And their utterances to the end of the world.

True knowledge of God is all around us.

My position is that all these tags and labels are highly overrated and are often quite meaningless.  Most christians are christian in nothing but the name, while many others are very christian in everything but the name.  

A post of incredible substance. I concur most especially with the last paragraph.
Re: Why Are You A Christian? by OBVIOUS(m): 8:42pm On Mar 31, 2009
Because I've seen gods power manifest in my life.

I was raised up from the dead. literally speaking, tongue tongue
Re: Why Are You A Christian? by Truth11: 8:55am On Apr 01, 2009
Christian by birth, born again because:

God showed love towards me when I was in my filthiest time of life. I mocked God and christians but in return God showed love through his son Jesus crucified for me on the cross.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Rom 5:8

I was sinking but God lifted me up through Jesus. I had no vision, he gave me reason and purpose to live. I was unaware of tomorrow he revealed eternal life to me. His favours are endless,

How to live up to that tag: deep desire to be Christlike, live by the spirit and reject the flesh continuously, do the will of Him
who called you, bear fruit that will last.

blessings
Re: Why Are You A Christian? by dejiariyo: 11:03am On Apr 01, 2009
JeSoul:

A post of incredible substance. I concur most especially with the last paragraph.

you always make my day with your posts.thank you
Re: Why Are You A Christian? by banom(m): 1:51pm On Apr 01, 2009
OBVIOUS:

Because I've seen gods power manifest in my life.

I was raised up from the dead. literally speaking, tongue tongue

Pardon
?
Re: Why Are You A Christian? by origina9ja(f): 2:30pm On Apr 01, 2009
OBVIOUS
YOUR POST IS NOT ALWAYS OBVIOUS
SO CLEARER EXPLAINATION NEEDED PLS

(1) (Reply)

Which Is More Lucrative? Running A Bank Or Running A Church / Let's All Pray For Our Sick Leader! / Collective Laziness Under “prayer”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.