Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,810 members, 7,806,275 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:53 PM

Travelling To Canada Part 9 - Travel (310) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada Part 9 (1037085 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 11 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 10 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (307) (308) (309) (310) (311) (312) (313) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by ceemac: 9:34am On Feb 20, 2016
Mizbaby:

Thanks....I intend to start the masters in September. I used the pgd admission to apply because it was for January. I'm heading to Edmonton in September grin
I'm a pharmacist not paramedic o

Just Curious tho, When will you be departing for Canny and will you still be using your PGD program to kill time before you resume for your Masters in Sept? Or you will just wait till around Sept before you travel? I will appreciate your answer as this will lead on a similar case in hand.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Mizbaby(f): 9:46am On Feb 20, 2016
ceemac:

Just Curious tho, When will you be departing for Canny and will you still be using your PGD program to kill time before you resume for your Masters in Sept? Or you will just wait till around Sept before you travel? I will appreciate your answer as this will lead on a similar case in hand.

I hope to travel in late March, then I will discuss with the pgd school and make a decision then.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by shalewa18: 11:20am On Feb 20, 2016
Please am new here and what ve be reading here has been giving me hope, my cgpa is 2.2 and am planning on applying for a pgd program in a college my pro is the fear of using an agent for fear of being scammed. Pls how should I go about it
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by TimTam2014: 11:38am On Feb 20, 2016
@bugzi

Thanks for that. As per ur question...it is PGC because the MSc is expensive and most university offering the course in Canada requires first class or upper second class and I graduated with 2:2..the course is on this new data analysis thing called Big Data...
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by gabrola: 1:08pm On Feb 20, 2016
ikem01:

It's family asset, I was refused in my first application, an part of the reasons were personal asset, that's y I want to know what am meant to do
get a deed of transfer then
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by charles316: 1:51pm On Feb 20, 2016
shodexy:
Favour0011 has brought his case why doing a masters in a university in Canada is a better choice. Who is the lawyer that will bring his case for why doing a pgd/pgc in a college in canada may be a better choice. cheesy

Then d judges will give their verdict.

I think the colleges prepare their students better for work purposes while the universities lead you towards research. Another advantage is that the colleges are cheaper than the universities. I stand to be corrected tho. Guys in Canada can shed more light.

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by favour0011: 3:33pm On Feb 20, 2016
Some universities are cheaper tho. Like mun and U of R. But looking at the bigger picture, most Nigerians use the study visa just to emigrate to Canada..lol. The main target is PR then later citizenship and studying a masters will make it quicker to get your PR. On the other hand, I also think you are correct about colleges giving better preparation for work purposes. They are both good but generally I think masters has more benefits even right from visa application as we must have seen here already.
charles316:

I think the colleges prepare their students better for work purposes while the universities lead you towards research. Another advantage is that the colleges are cheaper than the universities. I stand to be corrected tho. Guys in Canada can shed more light.

3 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by adeyemidare(m): 3:41pm On Feb 20, 2016
Going through all necessary forms for paper application, can't but notice error with downloading IMM1294E. Saying PDF viewer may not be able to display. How do I overcome this hurdle?

#Note: am familiarizing myself with CIC website. No admission yet.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Eruditor: 4:14pm On Feb 20, 2016
favour0011:
Some universities are cheaper tho. Like mun and U of R. But looking at the bigger picture, most Nigerians use the study visa just to emigrate to Canada..lol. The main target is PR then later citizenship and studying a masters will make it quicker to get your PR. On the other hand, I also think you are correct about colleges giving better preparation for work purposes. They are both good but generally I think masters has more benefits even right from visa application as we must have seen here already.

I am surprised the OGs of the house haven't corrected you.

1. On average University education is far more expensive than college education. U of R and MUN may only appear cheaper for courses whose terms last for 1 year. Other than that colleges are way cheaper.

2. Studying masters is not an easier way to get PR at all. The reason is simple: you have less reasons and time to stay in the country to qualify for that and even if you did, most of the PR sponsored programmes favor those who have reason to stay longer in the country which masters doesn't afford (atleast not more than colleges).

3. College education gives you a chance to get a 3-year work permit. No masters programme warrants the Canadian embassy to give anyone more than the said 1 or 2 years. Now I'm not saying those who undertook their masters in Canada were forced to leave immediately but on average college students stayed longer.

Perhaps some of my facts may not be set-in-stone. But that's the general consensus based on even quotes from here and my personal research.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Mizbaby(f): 4:27pm On Feb 20, 2016
Eruditor:

1. On average University education is far more expensive than college education. U of R and MUN may only appear cheaper for courses whose terms last for 1 year. Other than that colleges are way cheaper.

2. Studying masters is not an easier way to get PR at all. The reason is simple: you have less reasons and time to stay in the country to qualify for that and even if you did, most of the PR sponsored programmes favor those who have reason to stay longer in the country which masters doesn't afford (atleast not more than colleges).

3. College education gives you a chance to get a 3-year work permit. No masters programme warrants the Canadian embassy to give anyone more than the said 1 or 2 years. Now I'm not saying those who undertook their masters in Canada were forced to leave immediately but on average college students stayed longer.

Perhaps some of my facts may not be set-in-stone. But that's the general consensus based on even quotes from here and my personal research.

Number 2. What do you mean by less reasons and time to stay in the country?
What better reason do I have than to finish my thesis-based msc program and start a PhD which is my target?
I don't get these your points at all.
My msc program costs 9k per year and my pgd costs 15k for a year.
I get offer of stipends for d msc and a co-op of just 3 months for d pgd.
Number 3. also makes no sense.

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Nobody: 4:32pm On Feb 20, 2016
Eruditor:

Guy please do a lot of research before posting stuff on here

98% of what you wrote up there is wrong info

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by hildarela: 4:44pm On Feb 20, 2016
Everyone, please I need your take on this

My husband got admission to study graduate certificate in Computer network technician at Saskatchewan to start in august.
I'm going for the open work permit and we are applying together April/May.
I'm pregnant at the moment and baby arrives anytime in April so we want to wait for baby's arrival before applying.
I have a fairly successful business in hospitality sector and that's my own tie. I plan to state in sop that I want to go with him to support him as 9 months is a lot of time to stay apart especially with a new baby.
What do you think so far?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Eruditor: 4:46pm On Feb 20, 2016
brandymcmb:

Guy please do a lot of research before posting stuff on here

98% of what you wrote up there is wrong info

Because if someone takes a cursory look at my posts and yours they will come up with the notion that I do less research?

Mehn, come off your emotional horse and rebut facts with facts. All I need to claim now is that I have lived in Canada for 20 years and then say that Canada has a GDP higher than the USAs and some people will believe me.

Appeal to the facts and not your history on this thread.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Huzzie: 4:48pm On Feb 20, 2016
Mizbaby:

I hope to travel in late March, then I will discuss with the pgd school and make a decision then.

Congratulation, happy on your TRV. Your case is similar to mine, I got my TRV with Centennial college but moved to Brock uni......I sent you a PM, i would like to chat with you regarding the content of the mail you sent to the embassy.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Eruditor: 4:55pm On Feb 20, 2016
Mizbaby:

What better reason do I have than to finish my thesis-based msc program and start a PhD which is my target?

There were deviations to my post and your number 2 is one of such.

1.Clearly, thesis-based Msc programs last for atleast 2 years which necessitates a longer spell in the country than some taught-based programs that are just for a year. Pushing for the Ph.D afterwards is also within that scope and sure enough the PR too is within scope.

So let us put 2 years on the Msc and 3 years on the Ph.D. How is this (5 years) a shorter time to get the PR when juxtaposed with a 2 year college program with 3 years work permit in which the PR can be got at the end of the 1st year of the work permit?

And after the Ph.D what are the job prospects going to look like? On average, Research based programs are more suited for R& D or Academia. That's what I read online. It could be wrong.

2. Your Msc costs that low because most if not all thesis-based programs are subsidised. I am even surprised you have that much to pay in a year. Most of the people I know had their complete tuitions waived- but this ONLY applies to thesis-based Mscs. No taught-based program grants one such luxury.

This is an aside from the fact that your case is not the consensus (hence why I said ON AVERAGE Masters programs cost more than college programs). It is not even close. Google is your friend.

3 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by afor01(m): 4:56pm On Feb 20, 2016
[quote author=AdexStudio post=42640916]
I printed 5months SOA. Yes I'm working. But with 50k as salary. Incase you don't have friends or family to trust you wt their money it's dangerous to sponsor yourself if you don't have a very bouyant income. In my own case I discussed with about 3 friends with good income, I used transfer and withdraw method. What that mean is that they will pay d money into my account with details , and pay them back d following day with my own little income too. I did that for five month before asking someone to help me with 5m as I was about printing my SOA. D 5m was paid into my account in bit to avoid lump sum. To God be the glory I have my TRV approved . [the money they pay wit details does it show dat ur salary is higher?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by hayqinsbFX: 4:57pm On Feb 20, 2016
number 3 is absolutely gibberish.

I will say a diploma or advanced diploma has more advantage than a PGC or MAsters....

1)As someone said, college education prepares one for the target work while a masters is more for people who wants to be in the education line.
2)As foreigners that we are in canada, we all know that a canadian with an advanced diploma stands more chance than you with a PHD...so if you intend to stay in canada and work a college diploma or advanced diploma gives you more options to start with.

3) Most masters and PHD graduates( as i've read on this forum) tend to settle for jobs lower than their qualification just for the sake of staying in Canada (So why the hastle).....NB: there are lucky ones though..

4) As a masters or PHD graduate in Canada you tend to be over qualified for majority of the jobs as 80percent of employers and okay with advanced diploma graduates from colleges.

5) its true a masters offers an easier route to PR...this in itself is not automatic you have to be in the right province and have met the requirements.....But after 2years in a college you could get a PGWP and the a PR....(so why cant i chill)

I feel College students face more scrutiny during visa processes because the VO knows that the qualification is more or less mostly useful for you in Canada than in your home country...( Nigeria where masters sef never see Job you come talk say na PGC you wan collect to see job).
A masters or above is more useful for you in your home country than in Canada

Mizbaby:

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Mizbaby(f): 4:58pm On Feb 20, 2016
Huzzie:

Congratulation, happy on your TRV. Your case is similar to mine, I got my TRV with Centennial college but moved to Brock uni......I sent you a PM, i would like to chat with you regarding the content of the mail you sent to the embassy.

Thanks. I am going to do my pgd program but I will discuss with the school to accelerate it. You can submit your Brock uni letter at Poe if u want to change.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Mizbaby(f): 5:14pm On Feb 20, 2016
hayqinsbFX:

I will say a diploma or advanced diploma has more advantage than a PGC or MAsters....

1)As someone said, college education prepares one for the target work while a masters is more for people who wants to be in the education line.
2)As foreigners that we are in canada, we all know that a canadian with an advanced diploma stands more chance than you with a PHD...so if you intend to stay in canada and work a college diploma or advanced diploma gives you more options to start with.

3) Most masters and PHD graduates( as i've read on this forum) tend to settle for jobs lower than their qualification just for the sake of staying in Canada (So why the hastle).....NB: there are lucky ones though..

4) As a masters or PHD graduate in Canada you tend to be over qualified for majority of the jobs as 80percent of employers and okay with advanced diploma graduates from colleges.

5) its true a masters offers an easier route to PR...this in itself is not automatic you have to be in the right province and have met the requirements.....But after 2years in a college you could get a PGWP and the a PR....(so why cant i chill)

I feel College students face more scrutiny during visa processes because the VO knows that the qualification is more or less mostly useful for you in Canada than in your home country...( Nigeria where masters sef never see Job you come talk say na PGC you wan collect to see job).

You are assuming that everyone that applies for a study permit has immigration as their prime reason. This is what VO's also assume and that is the reason every application is scrutinized thoroughly especially that of pgd applicants.
VO's know that pgd programs are comparatively easier to get and as such most unemployed persons with little prospects in Nigeria can get hold of this admission for the sole purpose of fleeing the country.
These are not genuine prospective students.
Experience has also taught these VOs that when these people graduate and can't find a job, they become a menace to their society because they have nothing to return home to.
Why then do you think masters applicants are given preference? If they will not be able to find jobs when they graduate?
A PhD holder who can't get a decent job in Canada will most likely have a PR. He does not necessarily have to be remain in Canada. These are those who become citizens and can live anywhere in the world that they wish to.
Also number 5 makes no sense, a 2 year masters program gets you a 3 years PGWP same thing with the 2 years in college.

3 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Nobody: 5:15pm On Feb 20, 2016
Eruditor:

Because if someone takes a cursory look at my posts and yours they will come up with the notion that I do less research?

Mehn, come off your emotional horse and rebut facts with facts. All I need to claim now is that I have lived in Canada for 20 years and then say that Canada has a GDP higher than the USAs and some people will believe me.

Appeal to the facts and not your history on this thread.

Not even gonna argue with you

Let others on the forum give their input on this
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Eruditor: 5:31pm On Feb 20, 2016
hayqinsbFX:

I share reasoning with most of what you said.

Be that as it may, the VOs are human even if some are trained psychologists. You have to also factor in that some Nigerians just submit really bad and shallow applications.

The Canadian embassy is mandated to allow 250k immigrants every year to keep their population growing and balanced. Following the Syrian crisis and the need to accept refugees that number has reduced by 10%. This means VOs worldwide are hand-tied to show more scrutiny in approving visas and as such the increase in rejections is not aberrant.

Whether Msc benefits one in their own country albeit plausible, is neither here nor there and very dependent on some fields. In O and G for example, all the IOCs as well as NNPC and NLNG have positions for advanced Diploma holders. They do not tamper with these positions at all, so that even if one has a bachelors or higher, they will still recruit only advanced Diploma holders into those positions.

It is now left for the applicant of the visa to be able to convince the VO that such positions will become available to him/her on acquiring the Diploma in Canada.

NB: the VOs know also that their diploma programs are better than ANY Bachelors or Masters program in Nigeria with the testament that some Canadian citizens with higher degrees are well-known to still apply to colleges to get same diplomas.

3 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Eruditor: 5:38pm On Feb 20, 2016
Mizbaby:

You are assuming that everyone that applies for a study permit has immigration as their prime reason. This is what VO's also assume and that is the reason every application is scrutinized thoroughly especially that of pgd applicants.
VO's know that pgd programs are comparatively easier to get and as such most unemployed persons with little prospects in Nigeria can get hold of this admission for the sole purpose of fleeing the country.
Experience has also taught these VOs that when these people graduate and can't find a job, they become a menace to their society because they have nothing to return home to.
Why then do you think masters applicants are given preference? If they will not be able to find jobs when they graduate?
A PhD holder who can't get a decent job in Canada will most likely have a PR. He does not necessarily have to be remain in Canada. These are those who become citizens and can live anywhere in the world that they wish to.
Also number 5 makes no sense, a 2 year masters program gets you a 3 years PGWP same thing with the 2 years in college.

I don't think the emboldened is true. I stand corrected if wrong.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Mizbaby(f): 5:43pm On Feb 20, 2016
Eruditor:

I don't think the emboldened is true. I stand corrected if wrong.

I also advise, do a lot of research before posting.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Nobody: 5:46pm On Feb 20, 2016
brandymcmb:

Not even gonna argue with you

Let others on the forum give their input on this

Pheew!

Hi brandy, hayqinx, and evr1 here; you guys are doing a great job here. Currently on mid-semester break, so just checking on and want to extend my regards.

Time flies here like Usain Bolt coupled with intense school workload.

Congrats to successful applicants.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by hayqinsbFX: 5:48pm On Feb 20, 2016
i never said it doesnt...all i said was you get the same benefit with a college program so masters holds no advantage.

in all you said you only concurred to what i said about what the VO thinks about college applicants....
Mizbaby:

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Jesusgang(m): 5:56pm On Feb 20, 2016
@ Mizbaby, Eruditor and Hayqinsbfx

Most coys list Bsc as their minimum educational qualification for applicants and all other degrees will be added advantage. YOUR SKILLS ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT. Also please take note that some coys reserve some positions for only PHDS.

@ Eruditor, a 2-year POST SECONDARY Education qualifies you for a 3-year PGWP as stated on CIC website.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Mizbaby(f): 5:56pm On Feb 20, 2016
hayqinsbFX:
i never said it doesnt...all i said was you get the same benefit with a college program so masters holds no advantage.

in all you said you only concurred to what i said about what the VO thinks about college applicants....

I did not concur, read your post again. VOs scrutinize college applications not because they have better prospects in Canada but because they may not and might have nothing to return home to.
Plus their authenticity is questionable.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by hayqinsbFX: 6:18pm On Feb 20, 2016
I didn't say they scrutinze them Cos dey hve better prspects in canada..

I said because their qualification is of less relevance in their home country as a masters sef never see JOB so shey na diploma or PGC go improve you when you're back.

Try to read thorouhly ma..
Mizbaby:

I did not concur, read your post again. VOs scrutinize college applications not because they have better prospects in Canada but because they may not and might have nothing to return home to.
Plus their authenticity is questionable.

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by ganiyuadeoye: 6:21pm On Feb 20, 2016
Like when should someone expect admission for fall season?
DPizzy:

Pheew!

Hi brandy, hayqinx, and evr1 here; you guys are doing a great job here. Currently on mid-semester break, so just checking on and want to extend my regards.

Time flies here like Usain Bolt couple with intense school workload.

Congrats to successful applicants, and wishing hopefuls God favour.

Any1 coming to Mun or av any question about Mun can Quote this msg or pm me as a way of giving back.

thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (307) (308) (309) (310) (311) (312) (313) ... (401)

Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Worker Program - Connect Here Part 11 / General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 8

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.