Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,876 members, 7,802,817 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:33 PM

Travelling To Canada Part 9 - Travel (48) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Travelling To Canada Part 9 (1036407 Views)

Travelling To Canada Part 11 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Travelling To Canada Part 10 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (401) (Go Down)

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by chichi89(f): 8:43pm On Sep 21, 2015
kwenu:
hey house what are the steps for applying to a university in canada for undergraduate studies?

do i need TOEFL or and standardized test? is it a must?
i saw a school whose tuition fee is about $5000 but its (web-metric)web ranking is very low will the embassy grant me visa if i apply to such school.

how long does it take the Canadian embassy to grant visa after admission letter is been given?

please all help me with advice on how to go about studying there
Hi for TOEFL, it depends on the school and level of study. University of waterloo does not require English language testing for graduate students from Nigeria. So you will need to confirm with the school.
As for web ranking and all, if the school is a designated learning institution, I don't see any problem. Confirm that on the CIC website.
Processing times are not consistent. It ranges from weeks to months, so it is advisable you apply as early as is possible. smiley
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Nobody: 9:43pm On Sep 21, 2015
hello good samaritans,

I'm tryin to apply online. Can i pay with my gtb naira mastercard?
Also, can i scan and upload a passport photo, or do i go collect the original from the photographer?

Thanks a lot as you kindly asnswet my questions. May God bless you. smiley
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by soji0509: 10:40pm On Sep 21, 2015
Yes GT debit card works fine.
Yes you can scan a passport photo too but let it be a recent one and there is a size specification. Visit CIC site for the right spec.
lookingbuoy:
hello good samaritans,I'm tryin to apply online. Can i pay with my gtb naira mastercard?
Also, can i scan and upload a passport photo, or do i go collect the original from the photographer?
Thanks a lot as you kindly asnswet my questions. May God bless you. smiley
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by steffans(m): 11:25pm On Sep 21, 2015
Sammypraise:
That's the same school I got admission, thou I was refused visa this month, but I believe that what God does for one, is a prove that he can also do it for many more others..
may He perfect mine and others looking unto God for their TRV as well.
Pls post the doc you submitted.. congratulations!

I believe he will do it for you..
Remain blessed!

2 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by justicia: 12:00am On Sep 22, 2015
hi all, am sorry this is coming late. I got to Canny on Saturday morning, flew Egypt Air from lagos to Egypt to Toronto, not as bad as I heard. at poe, I was asked everys and I responded accordingly. The vo asked for my loa, proof of tuition payment, reason for coming late since school resumed 2 weeks ago - I showed her my mail to the school saying I was going to resume late. she then issued my study permit immediately. to all awaitees I wish u all the best. now another life begins here.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by sholay2011(m): 12:02am On Sep 22, 2015
justicia:
hi all, am sorry this is coming late. I got to Canny on Saturday morning, flew Egypt Air from lagos to Egypt to Toronto, not as bad as I heard. at poe, I was asked everys and I responded accordingly. The vo asked for my loa, proof of tuition payment, reason for coming late since school resumed 2 weeks ago - I showed her my mail to the school saying I was going to resume late. she then issued my study permit immediately. to all awaitees I wish u all the best. now another life begins here.
Congrats. Welcome!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by justicia: 12:09am On Sep 22, 2015
sholay2011:
Congrats. Welcome!
abeg u get team12 email address

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by ceemac: 12:37am On Sep 22, 2015
chichi89:
Hi. I am not sure about standardized tests for undergraduates because I am a graduate student. And no a low tuition fee uni should not be a red flag. Unless there are inconsistencies with your application, I don't see why the tuition cost will be a problem

Hello Chichi... I wanna study for Masters of Power Systems and Energy in Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering... The only issue is getting an Academic Supervisor before getting admitted, was this same with yours? How do you think I can get admission there? My CGPA is 3.9/5 and last two years links 4.2/5.. What do you think I should do to getting admission as getting an Academic supervisor is posing difficult.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by sholay2011(m): 12:50am On Sep 22, 2015
justicia:
abeg u get team12 email address
Nope I don't.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by NaD720: 12:51am On Sep 22, 2015
ajaereogechi:
I just got an email to do my medical.tanks jesus.
Congratulations bro! Wish you all the best!

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by chichi89(f): 1:06am On Sep 22, 2015
ceemac:

Hello Chichi... I wanna study for Masters of Power Systems and Energy in Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering... The only issue is getting an Academic Supervisor before getting admitted, was this same with yours? How do you think I can get admission there? My CGPA is 3.9/5 and last two years links 4.2/5.. What do you think I should do to getting admission as getting an Academic supervisor is posing difficult.
Hi, I didn't need a supervisor because my program is course based, no thesis.
You should contact the department's program coordinator for more information on that. I've been told some don't need you to have a supervisor before they admit but that's hearsay. I can't confirm + I'm an arts student.
As for your cgpa, before I applied I sent an email to the graduate program coordinator with a soft copy of my transcript and I was advised to apply . You can try that as well and see how it goes. No harm in trying.
I'm sorry I can't be of much help.
All the best.
Also go through the list of professors in the program and look for someone whose research interests align with yours and contact them (that's if you've not done that).

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by standupguy(m): 1:45am On Sep 22, 2015
#######
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by thesoj: 1:52am On Sep 22, 2015
Bros, I would highly recommend that you go back and critically read at least 200 pages of Part 7 or Part 8. This would do you a lot of good particularly since your application is complex. Please don't be lazy (no offense intended), you need to do this for yourself. All of the questions you are asking have been repeatedly answered on this thread over and over and over. See below for my responses to your present questions.

Sammypraise:

1. Travel history(I have never travelled abroad before, how do I defend this?, I have only travelled to Ghana couple of times through seme over 10 years ago?)
2.Family ties in Canada and in your country of residence(pls how do I prove this?)
These two issues normally go with Purpose of Visit so I suggest you don't focus excessively on them.

Sammypraise:
3. purpose of visit.(Is it the same as SOP or LOE)
This is the main issue that you should focus on. The visa officer is not convinced of your purpose of visit to Canada. In your case specifically, it is likely that the VO is not convinced that you are a genuine student, given your peculiar education and employment history, and given that you are a BSc applicant who finished secondary school fifteen years or so ago. This is why I in a previous post suggested you write a statement of purpose (aka SOP or LOE or whatever you want to call it) to clearly and convincingly clarify your story to the VO.

Sammypraise:
4.personal asset and financial status(My sponsor is not a close relative, he just agreed to be my sponsor with SOA=17M, Does it realy matter?)
Given that you haven't convinced the VO of your purpose of visit, the VO feels that you have insufficient personal assets and financial status to come back to in Naija. This has absolutely nothing to do with your sponsor. This denial reason is also closely related to the VO's skepticism about your purpose of visit. Given that you have been working for some years already, the VO expects to see some assets of your own... but a good SOP can mitigate this issue a bit.

Sammypraise:
5.Someone said to me that I was refused because I failed my medical but If I failed medical I suppose the CIC should specify, would it be necessary to run another medical test or I should use the previous one since it last for 1 year ?
Absolutely not true. The embassy would have notified you if that were the case. In the last 100 pages of Part 8, you will see that CIC now calls people for medicals even without having approved their application already. You don't have to redo medicals, use the same one.

Sammypraise:
6. @ Favour, thesoj: in your last comment, you talked about the study leave letter 4 four years, if they might find it hard to believe? should I remove it in the next application?
My guy, think think think (no offense intended). Is a study leave of 4 years credible given that you have only worked at the company for 2-3 years? The decision is yours.

My chief recommendation is that you read the whole of either Part 7 or Part 8. You need to be very strategic in your re-application. If you apply again without having fully fixed most of your issues in your previous application, then you likely will be denied again. The best course of action is for you to patiently repackage, even if this means deferring your admission until you are ready.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by thesoj: 2:28am On Sep 22, 2015
Anybody can be your sponsor, but it is up to you to prove said sponsorship to CIC. I would recommend that you think about any documentary evidence that proves that said sponsor has had a relationship with you and your dad for a long time. You should go find old pictures of: him & your dad; him, your dad, and you; and him and you. If you have such pictures, especially ones that are really old (more than ten years old is preferred imho) then this may help establish a pre-existing connection between him and your dad. Yes, data page of his international passport is extremely important as it proves that he is a real person and not fabricated.

Also, see if you can get your hands on any official documents of any dealings (e.g. a business or family relationship...) between him and your dad. You will also need him to credibly explain why exactly he is sponsoring you. Make sure it is a reason that makes solid sense, otherwise CIC won't find it credible. Another thing I'd suggest is for said sponsor to pay one semester or one year of your tuition and attach documentary evidence of the transfer receipt from his account, as well as the tuition payment receipt from the school. This would demonstrate his commitment to funding you. Best of luck.

Also, make an endeavor to read the thread and you will become better at packaging your application. Read large chunks of Parts 5, 6, 7, or 8.
iykedare:
Hi thesoj, My sponsor is my dad's friend. Hope that won't be a problem. How do we prove our relationship? Does he need to supply me with data page of his international passport? In general,what do I get from him?

5 Likes

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Nobody: 3:24am On Sep 22, 2015
@Standupguy

This your case, ehn, i cant even place it.

There appears to be something CIC wants from you which you havent provided or have previously overlooked-You do seem to have Finance, and the choice of course appears to be in your favour.

The one problem i see is you being single, and of course your sister sponsorshi and housing - which in fairness, is usually a red flag even for American visa applications.

Like u rightly noted tho, the oversight wrt your date of completion of previous program also did not help matters.

My advice is; if you have ur previous gcms files, please look deeply into it and relate it to the documents you submitted or didnt submit - No application is perfect, and i dont want to believe they are unethically exploiting you or anyone-If your application convinces them, they will gladly issue you a TRV.

I believe you will get it, just dont give up.

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by thesoj: 3:36am On Sep 22, 2015
So sorry to hear that. Pls share your profile (undergad or post-grad? What course? What was ur previous educational course & certificate level & when? What have you been doing since then?) with the house so we can help you. Also, share with the house the list of documents you submitted.

In the mean time, I highly recommend you start reading from page 1 of Part 7 or 8. Don't rush to reapply until you are sure that you know why you were delayed in the first place, otherwise your next app may be delayed again.

temitopede:
i was refused Canada visit visa today based on this}

travel history
purpose of visit
family ties in canada and in country of residence.

please any information as regards how to go about this? cos i plan re-applying on monday

1 Like

Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by GboyegaD(m): 7:17am On Sep 22, 2015
Fpr those looking for jobs to raise a few cash, McDonalds is having a part time recruitment fair on Thursday.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by standupguy(m): 7:40am On Sep 22, 2015
darefestus:
@Standupguy

This your case, ehn, i cant even place it.

There appears to be something CIC wants from you which you havent provided or have previously overlooked-You do seem to have Finance, and the choice of course appears to be in your favour.

The one problem i see is you being single, and of course your sister sponsorshi and housing - which in fairness, is usually a red flag even for American visa applications.

Like u rightly noted tho, the oversight wrt your date of completion of previous program also did not help matters.

My advice is; if you have ur previous gcms files, please look deeply into it and relate it to the documents you submitted or didnt submit - No application is perfect, and i dont want to believe they are unethically exploiting you or anyone-If your application convinces them, they will gladly issue you a TRV.

I believe you will get it, just dont give up.

My brother I done tire sha, i never give up on things but time isn't friendly sha.
No be force to marry na .....LOL haha George Clooney still dey single na.
My sister isn't married yet so I am not sure I see anything wrong in sharing an apartment while I save funds.
Her sponsorship was actually a formality because despite paying off my tuition I still had about 14,000CAD in my acc at the time of application.

My only problem was that nothing stopped CIC to highlighting these things in my previous application so they can be address altogether, people are refused with up to 7 reasons at once, but in my own case it was just one for each application how unfair is that?
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by phonesNgadgets: 7:52am On Sep 22, 2015
Hello house. Can I pay the visa & biometric fee at VAC office in cash or the only option is to make the payment online via CIC website?
I wanna be sure.
Thanks in anticipation. smiley
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by lekan008(m): 7:57am On Sep 22, 2015
Good morning to everyone. Please, is there anyone in University of Saskatchewan here? Pls, an information is urgently needed. Thanks.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by bimbofela: 8:28am On Sep 22, 2015
phonesNgadgets:
Hello house. Can I pay the visa & biometric fee at VAC office in cash or the only option is to make the payment online via CIC website?
I wanna be sure.
Thanks in anticipation. smiley

From my understanding, if you are applying online then you should pay online but if it's through paper route then you would have to pay at vfs in cash. I hope this helps. Cheers
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by benefe: 9:03am On Sep 22, 2015
chichi89:
I'm a UW student. Here to help if I can smiley
Hi Chichi, I will like to know how long does admission process take for engineering graduate studies. secondly did you do TRV, I am a bit confused because on CIC, I saw that temporary resident visa is for visitors but here I can see students still apply for it. kindly enlighten me. thanks
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Gu2015: 9:06am On Sep 22, 2015
lekan008:
Good morning to everyone. Please, is there anyone in University of Saskatchewan here? Pls, an information is urgently needed. Thanks.
yea,am presently in U of S
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by benefe: 9:18am On Sep 22, 2015
berexio1:
Am a prospective graduate student of waterloo.
And for ur question, yes cos a few pple have done it and got a favorable outcome. So package well and give it a try!
thank you Berexio1. what course are you going for? I plan to apply for engineering
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by berexio1: 9:22am On Sep 22, 2015
@standupguy..Its good u ordered the gcms. And from the gcms,CIC even keeps track of the number of refusals. Now I have a feeling that its thesame person that worked on ur previous refusals that the file goes to.

Dat 8yrs thing na the koko....was it like that in ur 2 previous app?That is a great error cos they might just think u won't be able to complete school and that's irrespective of whether u got admissions or not.

And again, was it really necessary to state that u will be living with ur sis?Many pple didn't show proof of accommodation neither did they pay for any and got TRV. Some info like this is not advised at all especially if ur funds are in order just like urs is...

I know u are already looking into Australia, bt should u wanna try again. Fix this!

Cheers!
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by lekan008(m): 9:24am On Sep 22, 2015
Gu2015:
yea,am presently in U of S
Wow, thanks.i will send u a pm
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by berexio1: 9:25am On Sep 22, 2015
benefe:

thank you Berexio1. what course are you going for? I plan to apply for engineering
Chemical Engrg
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by lekan008(m): 9:40am On Sep 22, 2015
lekan008:

Wow, thanks.i will send u a pm
I've sent you a pm bro
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by tosanlfaith(f): 9:47am On Sep 22, 2015
berexio1:
Chemical Engrg

aii
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by Nobody: 9:47am On Sep 22, 2015
soji0509:
Yes GT debit card works fine.
Yes you can scan a passport photo too but let it be a recent one and there is a size specification. Visit CIC site for the right spec.
Thanks to you. Do you think the fact that I once lived in Turkey for about two years will have an effect on my visa? With Turkey now being the route to getting into ISIS' Syria. This was in 2012 I lived there for training.
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by berexio1: 9:54am On Sep 22, 2015
lookingbuoy:

Thanks to you. Do you think the fact that I once lived in Turkey for about two years will have an effect on my visa? With Turkey now being the route to getting into ISIS' Syria. This was in 2012 I lived there for training.
Lmao..which training u go do for turkey?Oga I dey suspect u..

Them go just run background checks..U shouldn't worry if u are not a terrorist!
Re: Travelling To Canada Part 9 by standupguy(m): 10:34am On Sep 22, 2015
berexio1:
@standupguy..Its good u ordered the gcms. And from the gcms,CIC even keeps track of the number of refusals. Now I have a feeling that its thesame person that worked on ur previous refusals that the file goes to.

Dat 8yrs thing na the koko....was it like that in ur 2 previous app?That is a great error cos they might just think u won't be able to complete school and that's irrespective of whether u got admissions or not.

And again, was it really necessary to state that u will be living with ur sis?Many pple didn't show proof of accommodation neither did they pay for any and got TRV. Some info like this is not advised at all especially if ur funds are in order just like urs is...

I know u are already looking into Australia, bt should u wanna try again. Fix this!

Cheers!

I didn't specifically write anywhere that I live with my sister. Neither did I show prove of any acomodation.
They probably saw our addresses on the application form and the SOAs.
The same thing they did in my second application where they said I wanted to go and join my brother because he coincedentally moved to the town where the school in applied with was just because they saw his address.

While I take the blame for the 8yrs thing, it is still within the officially specified time to complete a B.Eng .
It has always been like that from my first application.
Yet purpose of visit and length of stay was never highlighted in my previous applications

Most times being all truthful in applications is not a good thing.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) ... (401)

General Australian student Visa Enquiries Part 2 / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program - Connect Here Part 8 / Usa Visit Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.