Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,798 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:40 AM

What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? (5499 Views)

Romeo And Juliet By Shakespeare (read Full Story Here) / What Is Ya Favorite Shakespeare Novel? / Shakespeare: Complete Works, Free Ebook. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by bogeyman: 6:53pm On Jan 09, 2006
romeo and juliet
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by GL(f): 3:07am On Feb 15, 2006
I've read a lot of them. I LOVE 'Comedy of Errors' the most.

the next would be Much Ado about Nothing
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by reniks(f): 1:28pm On Feb 27, 2006
I love Twelfth Night n Macbeth,Hamlet n Julius Caesar.Infact my final yr project is on Characterisation and use of supernatural elements in Macbeth and Hamlet.Advin wat u wrote about Shakespeare's has come in handy 4 my project,thanx
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by pearl2(m): 2:03am On Mar 04, 2006
Shakespeare is incomparable!
I started with Lamb's Tales until I read Macbeth.Then it became difficult to stop.I read Romeo and Juliet,Julius Caesar,Merchant of Venice,Hamlet,Othello,Twelfth Night,e.t.c
Its difficult to choose one.Romeo and Juliet stands out for its language and tragic ending,may be more for its subject matter!But Macbeth and Julius CAESAR for brillant analysis of the human nature rank among the best books of the human genius.
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by Nobody: 7:56pm On Mar 12, 2006
pearl2,u must be a good reader!!!
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by pearl2(m): 8:30pm On Mar 13, 2006
ariba:

pearl2,u must be a good reader!!!
Really? thanks.But I even love to read more,its more difficult for me nowadays because of the cares of this world!
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by crave(f): 5:36pm On Mar 17, 2006
I love the comedies. My favorites are, Much ado about nothing, Comedy of errors and Taming of the shrew.
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by Zahymaka(m): 7:30am On Apr 16, 2006
As you Like It remains my all-time favourite although I love Much Ado About Nothing and Julius Caesar.
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by my2cents(m): 6:35pm On Apr 20, 2006
Definitely "A Mid-summer Night's dream" - Eat no more, for I must have your food LOL
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by Zahymaka(m): 3:48am On Apr 24, 2006
You're obviously making a mistake. "Eat no more. . ." was from Orlando in As You Like It.
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by my2cents(m): 4:05pm On Apr 24, 2006
Zahymaka,

Considering the last time I read Shakespeare was around 1985, I will assume you are right and accept your answer cheesy
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by Zahymaka(m): 4:59pm On Apr 24, 2006
I think so too rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by Rhodalyn(f): 5:00pm On Apr 24, 2006
U thk so ma
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by sweetchic(f): 6:43pm On May 08, 2006
midsummer's night dream and as you like it.
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by eveseh(f): 7:42pm On May 11, 2006
romeo and juliet is cool
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by funty(f): 7:41pm On May 14, 2006
i luv MACBETH.i've read different books of it loads of times and i watched the old and modern version of the film.the whole story is like so in my head.
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by ThoniaSlim(f): 10:02pm On Dec 09, 2006
romeo and juliet smiley
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by sakish(f): 5:22pm On Dec 13, 2006
i can't stand to read his books but i love romeo and juliet 's play
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by GL(f): 9:49pm On Dec 14, 2006
COMEDY OF ERRORS!!!

That's my all-time favourite. I really enjoyed reading Taming of the Shrew and Much Ado about Nothing. I love all the shakespeare books i've read tho.
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by Nnenna1(f): 1:46am On Dec 15, 2006
Funny enough, I just wrote my last final exam for the semester this morning, which was for my Shakespeare class. I had put off reading a good number of the plays until the exam began to encroach, and was forced to "read and digest" them in bulks prior to today. The plays I read were thus:

Merchant of Venice
Taming of the Shrew
Othello
The Tempest
Twelfth Night and
Macbeth

Of the plays, I really enjoyed Twelfth Night and Taming of the Shrew. By far my favorite was Othello, not just because the protagonist was of African heritage, but the passion and emotion that drove the plot (I mean Othello here). Othello was very visual, and the coversations were almost very real. I prefer the prosey parts of the plays to the verses, and Othello had a lot of these. Othello (the character) was so foolish I wanted to strangle him, but I enjoyed the ride. Nice thread. Not many people I meet would love to have Shakespeare as a friend, much less an author of a book they love (horrid trying to translate early modern English into lay man's language).

BTW, it's funny how one finds the many sexual innuendos and profanities in Shakespeare's plays once they graduate from Charles and Mary Lamb's fairytale edition. And I mean many.
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by TerraCotta(m): 6:42am On Dec 15, 2006
All those who said "A Midsummer Night's Dream" get the thumbs-up from me.

On the innuendos--I still remember my English teacher's embarrassment at explaining why Mercutio compared himself to a "poperin pear".

Hint--pop-her-in.

Whoever said that Shakespeare's plays are similiar to your average dinner theatre is not too far off the mark. Shakespeare wasn't writing for an academic audience or some sophisticated theatre-goers: the people who came to see his plays are the same sort of people who would watch soap operas and reality shows today. His genius is in his inventive language and endless double-entendres--the plots are nothing to write home about, and some of them are even re-workings/plagiarizations of earlier plays. You should think of Shakespeare as a dancehall reggae artist--he might get on the same riddim that ten other guys have used for their song, but if he's good, his lyrics and his delivery are going to make his song unique.
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by culasi(m): 7:19am On Dec 15, 2006
Macbeth
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by naijacutee(f): 7:32am On Dec 15, 2006
King Lear, The merchant of Venice
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by JOSSYTEM(f): 11:12am On Dec 15, 2006
I read them all and they are all nice but the one I love must is twelfth night or as you like it
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by ladykool(f): 9:16pm On Dec 15, 2006
romeo & juliet that is the only one i liked out of all of them the rest r just rubbish!
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by Nobody: 9:27pm On Dec 15, 2006
i love all shakespear plays but come to think of it, i am thinking of re writting the script of most shakespear plays into african setting.will it be nice?
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by culasi(m): 9:28pm On Dec 15, 2006
kennygee:

i love all shakespear plays but come to think of it, i am thinking of re writting the script of most shakespear plays into african setting.will it be nice?

If you get the right cast and crew. Yes!!!!!!!!!!! smiley
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by Dauda(m): 4:06am On Dec 16, 2006
The Tempest
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by nkechy: 1:34pm On Dec 16, 2006
othello,the tempest, macbeth ,12th nyte!
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by MerC2(f): 3:07pm On Dec 16, 2006
Ma fav ones are Macbeth, The Tempest, Hamlet and Othello
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by Memunah(f): 5:48pm On Dec 16, 2006
I ve read a lot of his books,but i love MERCHANT OF VENICE,really nice novel
Re: What Shakespeare Book Thrills You Most? by DeepSoul(f): 6:38pm On Dec 16, 2006
It's gotta be Othello and Macbeth! Unsex me!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pacesetters Novels In PDF / My Fans Are A Source Of Encouragement- Serah Iyare (shewrites) / Free Ebooks, Magazines, Textbooks, Television Series Download For All

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.