Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,580 members, 7,809,106 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:17 PM

Frustrated College Graduate Tries To Sell Her College Diploma On Ebay For $50,00 - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Frustrated College Graduate Tries To Sell Her College Diploma On Ebay For $50,00 (834 Views)

See The Officer Who Broke 20 Year Old Record At Armed Forces Command College / Frustrated With My Career What Should I Do / Are You Frustrated With Your Job,why Are You Still Keeping It? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Frustrated College Graduate Tries To Sell Her College Diploma On Ebay For $50,00 by Nobody: 6:10am On Aug 28, 2015
Please validate my use of time': Frustrated college graduate tries to sell her college diploma on eBay for $50,000 - after failing to find a job after four years
Stephanie Ritter is selling her Florida State University Bachelor's degree on eBay for a Buy It Now price of $50,000 - or the next best offer
The 26-year-old explains that the pricey degree and four years spent studying haven't helped her get a job
In addition to offering the actual piece of paper, Stephanie will give the buyer a tour of campus and access to her memories on Facebook
The California resident hopes to repay the $40,000 she owes in loans

Stephanie Ritter, a 26-year-old Florida State University alum, has listed her diploma on eBay for the staggering sum to cover the 'actual cost' of attending the school.
Now $40,000 in debt and living in Southern California, Stephanie is fed up with being unable to find a job in her field, despite having a Bachelor's degree - so she's come up with a drastic solution to pay off her loans and 'validate my use of time between 2007-2011'.
For sale: Stephanie Ritter (pictured) is selling her Bachelor of Arts in theatre from Florida State University for $50,000 in hopes of paying off her loans

For sale: Stephanie Ritter (pictured) is selling her Bachelor of Arts in theatre from Florida State University for $50,000 in hopes of paying off her loans
Stephanie majored in theatre and graduated from the public school in 2011 with honors - but now, unable to find work in her field, she has a job as an assistant.
'I thought this piece of paper has so much worth to so many people, but for a theatre major, it couldn’t mean less,' she told BuzzFeed. 'I’m doing the exact same things and probably getting paid the exact same amount as people that dropped out halfway through freshman year, except I’m still $40,000 in debt and they’re, well, not.'
So, to recoup some of those lost funds, Stephanie came up with the questionable idea of selling her degree for $50,000 - or the best offer she can get. That $50,000, she explains, will cover not just tuition, but also room and board, books, and 'memories'.

On her eBay listing, she writes that what she is really selling is her 'authentic' FSU 'experience', and the diploma is just paper proof - seemingly poking fun at the idea that some incoming freshman hold that it's worth it to take out loans to pay for a particular school because they can't get the same 'experience' anywhere else.
However, Stephanie is offering potential buyers a more abridged version of that college experience. In addition to mailing the diploma - for free, in case anyone is waffling over having to pay shipping charges - the graduate will give the purchaser a tour of the university, 'including everywhere you would have gone/eaten/partied in your four years at FSU'. She lists some of her own favorite restaurants and bars in the area.
She will also provide 'access to all of my college memories/Facebook albums for six months' and entry to a show at the FSU School of Theatre (tickets for which can cost $17-50), as well as various tours - including 'a very quick drive by my former drug dealer/yoga teacher's house' and 'the spots I got speeding tickets in between classes'.

Re: Frustrated College Graduate Tries To Sell Her College Diploma On Ebay For $50,00 by Nobody: 6:15am On Aug 28, 2015
Stephanie promises that the diploma itself is in mint condition, writing: 'Never been used to get a job before!'
In fact, she even lists several of the classes she took that 'led to her diploma' but didn't seen to actually provide any marketable skills that set her apart from other people in her field.
Some of those classes included Play Analysis (in which she studied 'a bunch of plays I haven't read or heard of since 2011), Set Design ('where I painted a 3x3 wooden block'), and Playwriting (during which her professor promised to arrange a meeting between Stephanie and Weeds creator Jenji Kohan but never followed through).
'Why waste four years of your life going to a state school for a piece of paper when you can just buy mine?' she entices, listing several ways the buyer could use the diploma - none of which are 'to get a job'.

Stephanie's situation is not unique, though her solution might be. According to the Economic Policy Institute and Slate, 8.5 per cent of college graduates aged 21 to 24 were unemployed between April 2013 and March 2014. And even those who are employed often aren't seeing their degrees put to good use. The Federal Reserve Bank of New York has reported that just 27 per cent have jobs related to their major.
Though Stephanie seems to recognize the unlikelihood that someone will actually purchase her very expensive piece of paper, she hasn't given up all hope of achieving financial stability, and told BuzzFeed that she dreams that 'a very rich family would adult Daddy Warbucks me.'
And if that doesn't work out either, she has a back-up plan.
'If that falls through, honestly, [I will] just do that thing where I pay the minimum for 25 years and then the government feels so bad for you that they wipe it clean,' she said.

Source: The Daily Mail
Re: Frustrated College Graduate Tries To Sell Her College Diploma On Ebay For $50,00 by Nobody: 6:21am On Aug 28, 2015
Re: Frustrated College Graduate Tries To Sell Her College Diploma On Ebay For $50,00 by ChappyChase: 6:47am On Aug 28, 2015
Hmm, na so e bad reach!
Re: Frustrated College Graduate Tries To Sell Her College Diploma On Ebay For $50,00 by bigx(m): 7:04am On Aug 30, 2015
Theater?
Re: Frustrated College Graduate Tries To Sell Her College Diploma On Ebay For $50,00 by fulanimafia: 12:14am On Oct 09, 2015

(1) (Reply)

My Interview Experiance / This topic is hidden. / Advice Needed Urgently On ICT Related Courses In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.