Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,325 members, 7,808,089 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:01 AM

Do Nigerians Really Know About Their Own Country - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Do Nigerians Really Know About Their Own Country (1196 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Confuse Bride Price And Dowry. / Why Do Nigerians Treat Foreigners Differently? / Why Do Nigerians Treat Foreigners Differently? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do Nigerians Really Know About Their Own Country by alfonso36(m): 10:47am On Aug 28, 2015
I am shocked most Nigerians know little about their Country.
I go to Kano they call me Nyamiri.
I go to Ekwulobia they call me Onye Hausa
Here in Lagos some call me Northerner, others call me Aboki, still others call me òmò Ibo.
To make matters worse, I get into trouble when I tell the Hausa man in Kano that I am not Nyamiri but a Kogite. Yauwa, he switches to Hausa and camaraderie begins. His joy is short lived when I say banaji Hausa. He doesn't believe a man from Kogi, a State is the `North' doesn't even know what Inakwana means. I cut him short by saying I am from the middle-belt, and that is where problem begins. He doesn't want to talk to me anymore - I am a traitor he says. The Christian man from Kogi, Benue, or Plateau prefers to say he is from the middle-belt, his Muslim brother thinks otherwise - he is a Northerner. Wahala de there.
And here in Lagos, I am battling to tell my colleague who has lived all his life in Lagos that Kogi is not a Yoruba state and more than 70% of Kogites do not speak Yoruba. Sometimes in Church some persons are surprised that a 'Haruna' can pray and even speak in tongues.
In Onitsha main market, every 'Kopa' that is not Yoruba is Onye Hausa. That bad.
I have studied the map of Nigeria several times, I have been to Kano, Bauchi and Kaduna. I grew up in Kogi and I have lived in Plateau, Abuja, and Benue. NYSC took me to Umunya, Oko, Ekwulobia, Uga, Awka, Umunze and many places in Anambra state. Asaba, Orlu, Owerri, Okigwe, and Portharcourt became home to me after NYSC. And at some point Bere-Oje-Felele
-Challenge-Oluyole-Bodija-Iyaganku have played host to me.
I am an IGALA man from Kogi State and my hometown which is East of River Niger and South of River Benue is less than 200km from Enugu. How, then, did I become Onye Hausa?
If you accepted Sunday Awoniyi, my brother who lives across the Niger as leader of Arewa Consultative Forum, and my State Governor is a member of the 19 Northern Governors Forum, why do you still refer to me as Nyamiri?
You say Wa, I say nawa. You say lò I say lo. You say èja I say èja. You say èran I say èla. You say Ichanâ I say Achana. You say èwa I say ègwa. Our languages are very similar, but while you see an Itsekeri man as your brother you prefer to refer to an Igala man as Aboki or òmò Ibo. My dear, go find your ancestors make dem tell you your story.
One important lesson I have learnt from my waka waka around Nigeria is that we are not seperated by the tongues we speak but by our Understanding of the one and only God - Edumare, Chukwu, Allah, Odoba Ogagwu.
So, if you out there thinking I am Aboki, Onye Hausa, Northerner, or whatever you decide to use to differentiate between you and I, sorry, dem never born you; you are still in the womb. And if you still think Edumare is different from Allah, Chukwu or God, my brother, you are still a toddler and you have a chance to study your Baibulu or Aluquran again.
For those of you who have succeeded in removing the veil of religion, ethnicity, Country and race, and now see me as your brother and God as our Father, well done, for to you belongs the Kingdom of God. As I write, Angels are in jubilant mode, Heaven is agog, and a throne is being prepared for you. Perhaps, it is time for you to leave this world to go rest in peace where you belong.
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know About Their Own Country by alfonso36(m): 10:48am On Aug 28, 2015
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know About Their Own Country by Nobody: 10:48am On Aug 28, 2015
shocked
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know About Their Own Country by Nobody: 10:49am On Aug 28, 2015
Lagoon called nigeria undecided
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know About Their Own Country by tonychristopher: 10:58am On Aug 28, 2015
alfonso36:
Here in Lagos some call me Northerner, others call me Aboki, still others call me òmò Ibo.
To make matters worse, I get into trouble when I tell the Hausa man in Kano that I am not Nyamiri but a Kogite. Yauwa, he switches to Hausa and camaraderie begins. His joy is short lived when I say banaji Hausa. He doesn't believe a man from Kogi, a State is the `North' doesn't even know what Inakwana means. I cut him short by saying I am from the middle-belt, and that is where problem begins. He doesn't want to talk to me anymore - I am a traitor he says. The Christian man from Kogi, Benue, or Plateau prefers to say he is from the middle-belt, his Muslim brother thinks otherwise - he is a Northerner. Wahala de there.
And here in Lagos, I am battling to tell my colleague who has lived all his life in Lagos that Kogi is not a Yoruba state and more than 70% of Kogites do not speak Yoruba. Sometimes in Church some persons are surprised that a 'Haruna' can pray and even speak in tongues.
In Onitsha main market, every 'Kopa' that is not Yoruba is Onye Hausa. That bad.
I have studied the map of Nigeria several times, I have been to Kano, Bauchi and Kaduna. I grew up in Kogi and I have lived in Plateau, Abuja, and Benue. NYSC took me to Umunya, Oko, Ekwulobia, Uga, Awka, Umunze and many places in Anambra state. Asaba, Orlu, Owerri, Okigwe, and Portharcourt became home to me after NYSC. And at some point Bere-Oje-Felele
I am an IGALA man from Kogi State and my hometown which is East of River Niger and South of River Benue is less than 200km from Enugu. How, then, did I become Onye Hausa?
If you accepted Sunday Awoniyi, my brother who lives across the Niger as leader of Arewa Consultative Forum, and my State Governor is a member of the 19 Northern Governors Forum, why do you still refer to me as Nyamiri?
You say Wa, I say nawa. You say lò I say lo. You say èja I say èja. You say èran I say èla. You say Ichanâ I say Achana. You say èwa I say ègwa. Our languages are very similar, but while you see an Itsekeri man as your brother you prefer to refer to an Igala man as Aboki or òmò Ibo. My dear, go find your ancestors make dem tell you your story.
One important lesson I have learnt from my waka waka around Nigeria is that we are not seperated by the tongues we speak but by our Understanding of the one and only God - Edumare, Chukwu, Allah, Odoba Ogagwu.
So, if you out there thinking I am Aboki, Onye Hausa, Northerner, or whatever you decide to use to differentiate between you and I, sorry, dem never born you; you are still in the womb. And if you still think Edumare is different from Allah, Chukwu or God, my brother, you are still a toddler and you have a chance to study your Baibulu or Aluquran again.
For those of you who have succeeded in removing the veil of religion, ethnicity, Country and race, and now see me as your brother and God as our Father, well done, for to you belongs the Kingdom of God. As I write, Angels are in jubilant mode, Heaven is agog, and a throne is being prepared for you. Perhaps, it is time for you to leave this world to go rest in peace where you belong.

but igalla have historical and cultural affinity to Igbo
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know About Their Own Country by MegMich(m): 11:26am On Aug 28, 2015
My point exactly, no reading culture. The desire and hunger to know stuffs nko? For where....not when we have a fixated mentality. Illiteracy is rife; tribalism the other of the day.

God bless Naija
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know About Their Own Country by AfricanApple(f): 12:10pm On Aug 28, 2015
this your copy and and paste no get source?
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know About Their Own Country by Angelou(m): 12:40pm On Aug 28, 2015
tonychristopher:

but igalla have historical and cultural affinity to Igbo
that is due to their geographical proximity to the south east. (some parts of ibaji even bear igbo names).. But linguistically (in spoken language) they are more similar to yorubas

1 Like

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know About Their Own Country by Angelou(m): 12:42pm On Aug 28, 2015
Op how does Sunday Awoniyi sounds like an Igala name
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know About Their Own Country by scholes0(m): 1:09pm On Aug 28, 2015
Angelou:

Sunday Awoniyi is a Yoruba man from the Western half of Kogi state.
What he is trying to say is that if Northerners are able to accept the Yoruba man as the head of the Arewa Consultative Forum, why do they see an Igala man from the same state as not being part of them.

2 Likes

Re: Do Nigerians Really Know About Their Own Country by tonychristopher: 12:36am On Aug 29, 2015
Angelou:
that is due to their geographical proximity to the south east. (some parts of ibaji even bear igbo names).. But linguistically (in spoken language) they are more similar to yorubas

yeah and some igalla people migrated from Igbo and don't forget we have Igbo in Benue ..so you have the best if both worlds

relax
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know About Their Own Country by Angelou(m): 12:41am On Aug 29, 2015
tonychristopher:

yeah and some igalla people migrated from Igbo and don't forget we have Igbo in Benue ..so you have the best if both worlds

relax
the Igalas present in Anambra and other south eastern states are the descendants of warriors which a certain Attah (king) Igalla left there after a failed invasion into Igbo land
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know About Their Own Country by tpiander: 12:45am On Aug 29, 2015
AfricanApple:
this your copy and and paste no get source?

of course not.
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know About Their Own Country by tpiander: 12:46am On Aug 29, 2015
Angelou:

the op is not Igala.
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know About Their Own Country by scholes0(m): 1:10am On Aug 29, 2015
tpiander:

the op is not Igala.

The OP is Igala.
did you even read what he wrote up there?
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know About Their Own Country by Funjosh(m): 3:01am On Aug 29, 2015
alfonso36:

Op continue wasting your time and energy on. Explanation, when they ask them to do Geography in school na run dem dey run comot for class. lipsrsealed
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know About Their Own Country by tonychristopher: 8:58am On Aug 29, 2015
Angelou:
the Igalas present in Anambra and other south eastern states are the descendants of warriors which a certain Attah (king) Igalla left there after a failed invasion into Igbo land

but during the olden days the ochi of igalla would pay obeisance to NRI in anambra and one of NRI sons found igalla clan

but wait is that attah crazy to think of invasion in mainland Igbo ?

so you can see why they see you as an Igbo ..even me my guy in abuja looks Igbo but he is igalla

there must be this nexus ,
Re: Do Nigerians Really Know About Their Own Country by tonygee1(m): 11:06am On Aug 30, 2015
Indeed travelling is the best part of education

(1) (Reply)

Jesus Christ Is Black (negro) / Family's Deity / Shocking Photos Of An Incredibly Overcrowded Prison In The Philippines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.