Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,980 members, 7,799,343 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:16 PM

The true meaning of the word Biafra - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The true meaning of the word Biafra (11224 Views)

The Real Meaning Of NNPC And DSS By Reno Omokri / What Is The Full Meaning Of EFCC? See Hilarious Answers / Why Are Nigerians Afraid Of The Word Biafra. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The true meaning of the word Biafra by Omololu007(m): 11:06am On Aug 28, 2015
Please,what is the meaning of Biafra in ibo language?

Modify:
A lot of ibos don't even know the meaning of biafra,yet they keep screaming biafra up and down.Biafra is a word that was gotten from the subgroup biafar or biafada of the Tenda ethnic group who reside in guinea-bissau.the European travellers refer to people from some part of cameroon,gabon and gambia as biafrans,so it has nothing to do with ibos alone or the eastern part of Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by Phinagold(f): 11:08am On Aug 28, 2015
Ask google
Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by Nobody: 11:10am On Aug 28, 2015
Omololu007:

Amu'nna gi

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by Nobody: 11:12am On Aug 28, 2015
Omololu007:

Meaning is France Come!

It was actually the war of the Seven Sisters, France sponsored the civil war using Elf as front. France needed a share of Africa's largest deposit while UK wanted ownership of the deposit too. So UK sponsored Nigeria side to put Shell BP here.

The war that destroyed us, was actually sponsored by people who wanted to dominate our oil. Research about Seven Sisters, and the harm they have caused the world. From Lybia, to Iraq, Syria, Biafra/Nigeria to Sudan. These wars are orchestrated by the Oil Companies and their countries. Even Boko Haram was sponsored to distabilize Jonathan and give way for continuous depletion of the resources. No one wants to lose OML/OPL.

Can we escape the Seven Sisters ? ....Its almost impossible.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by Omololu007(m): 11:14am On Aug 28, 2015
BiafranNigerian:

Meaning is France Come!

It was actually the war of the Seven Sisters, France sponsored the civil war using Elf as front. France needed a share of Africa's largest deposit while UK wanted ownership of the deposit too. So UK sponsored Nigeria side to put Shell BP here.

The war that destroyed us, was actually sponsored by people who wanted to dominate our oil. Research about Seven Sisters, and the harm they have caused the world. From Lybia, to Iraq, Syria, Biafra/Nigeria to Sudan. These wars are orchestrated by the Oil Companies and their countries. Even Boko Haram was sponsored to distabilize Jonathan and give way for continuous depletion of the resources.
are you alright sha? What's the meaning of dis nonsense you wrote up there

8 Likes

Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by Omololu007(m): 11:15am On Aug 28, 2015
HeartRobber:

Amu'nna gi
meaning?
Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by sdindan: 11:20am On Aug 28, 2015
Omololu007:
Please,what is the meaning of Name pls. I am a Bastard.
You are right dude, you are a Bastardxx

1 Like

Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by Omololu007(m): 11:21am On Aug 28, 2015
sdindan:

You are right dude, you are a Bastardxx
mr man tell me what biafra mean jawe
Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by Nobody: 11:31am On Aug 28, 2015
Omololu007:

it means "come and join"

oyah face your front

2 Likes

Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by Princewill1(m): 11:35am On Aug 28, 2015
Omololu007:
Bi means 'come' in igbo
Afra means 'to join' or 'to attach'
So it means 'come and join'
In other words it means asylum.

Now Yoruba busy body focus more on Odua republic

3 Likes

Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by opiaoku: 11:40am On Aug 28, 2015
Omololu007:
meaning?

Your papa dickkk grin

1 Like

Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by Omololu007(m): 11:43am On Aug 28, 2015
opiaoku:

Your papa dickkk grin
k
Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by brize(m): 11:47am On Aug 28, 2015
Come and join..... Oya what of eko?
Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by Omololu007(m): 11:48am On Aug 28, 2015
Princewill1:
Bi means 'come' in igbo
Afra means 'to join' or 'to attach'
So it means 'come and join'
In other words it means asylum.

Now Yoruba busy body focus more on Odua republic
you are wrong,bia is come in ibo language,not ''bi''
Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by Omololu007(m): 11:49am On Aug 28, 2015
brize:
Come and join..... Oya what of eko?
so you mean the portugues formed the word biafra,from ibo language?
Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by brize(m): 11:56am On Aug 28, 2015
Omololu007:
so you mean the portugues formed the word biafra,from ibo language?
who told you that?
Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by Brooklynsouth(f): 11:56am On Aug 28, 2015
Omololu007:
it means come and join

2 Likes

Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by sdindan: 11:59am On Aug 28, 2015
Omololu007:
mr man tell me what biafra mean jawe

The name Biafra, its origin and meaning:
There was a Biafra before 1967which lost its sovereignty to colonial powers. “ Early modern maps of Africa from the 15th-19th centuries, drawn by European cartographers from accounts written by explorers and travellers, reveal that the original word used by the European travellers was not Biafra but Biafara, Biafar and sometimes also Biafares.” Now let me correct one impression about the meaning of Biafra as some believed it is a name given by Portuguese explorers. Biafara people are already known and addressed as Biafara people before they came in contact with the first European merchants. The word Biafra has its generics from “Ephraim” as pointed out by Martin Simon Ukegbe (a religious activist who suggested that the new Republic of Biafra of 1967 be called the Christian Democratic Republic of B”Ephrayim) the B there signifies the bay or bight so the word Biafara or Biafar has its root from B”Ephraim but the Europeans at that time called it Biafar-Biafara or Biafares. Researchers hold the view that the region is inhabited by descendants of Ephraim.
Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by Nobody: 12:06pm On Aug 28, 2015
HeartRobber:

Amu'nna gi
grin
HeartRobber:

Amu'nna gi
Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by Princewill1(m): 12:22pm On Aug 28, 2015
Omololu007:
you are wrong,bia is come in ibo language,not ''bi''
Then if afra means 'to join'

What is the pronounce and meaning of 'Bia-fra'
Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by Omololu007(m): 12:27pm On Aug 28, 2015
Princewill1:
Then if afra means 'to join'

What is the pronounce and meaning of 'Bia-fra'
is not ''bia-fra'' but 'bi-a-fra'
Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by Omololu007(m): 12:31pm On Aug 28, 2015
sdindan:

The name Biafra, its origin and meaning:
There was a Biafra before 1967which lost its sovereignty to colonial powers. “ Early modern maps of Africa from the 15th-19th centuries, drawn by European cartographers from accounts written by explorers and travellers, reveal that the original word used by the European travellers was not Biafra but Biafara, Biafar and sometimes also Biafares.” Now let me correct one impression about the meaning of Biafra as some believed it is a name given by Portuguese explorers. Biafara people are already known and addressed as Biafara people before they came in contact with the first European merchants. The word Biafra has its generics from “Ephraim” as pointed out by Martin Simon Ukegbe (a religious activist who suggested that the new Republic of Biafra of 1967 be called the Christian Democratic Republic of B”Ephrayim) the B there signifies the bay or bight so the word Biafara or Biafar has its root from B”Ephraim but the Europeans at that time called it Biafar-Biafara or Biafares. Researchers hold the view that the region is inhabited by descendants of Ephraim.
i dont still understand what Ephraim has to do with biafra,it has no connection
Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by Nobody: 12:40pm On Aug 28, 2015
Bight of Biafra.
Read about it.

1 Like

Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by SonOfEl(m): 12:41pm On Aug 28, 2015
Omololu007:
i dont still understand what Ephraim has to do with biafra,it has no connection

you weren't expecting an interesting explanation, so you got TKOed!
Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by Princewill1(m): 1:00pm On Aug 28, 2015
Omololu007:
is not ''bia-fra'' but 'bi-a-fra'
Abeg go and sit down! Look at omo odua teaching me my language.

Bia-fra is how I pronounce it FULL STOP!

Go and face Odua republic!

4 Likes

Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by basilo101: 1:02pm On Aug 28, 2015
at least Bia obviously mean come in igbo
Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by johnmark1234(m): 1:02pm On Aug 28, 2015
Omololu007:
meaning?
Otu NNE gi

1 Like

Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by Omololu007(m): 1:05pm On Aug 28, 2015
Princewill1:
Abeg go and sit down! Look at omo odua teaching me my language.

Bia-fra is how I pronounce it FULL STOP!

Go and face Odua republic!
biafra is not an ibo word,period.
Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by Omololu007(m): 1:06pm On Aug 28, 2015
SonOfEl:

you weren't expecting an interesting explanation, so you got TKOed!
biafra is not an ibo word,so u ibos should stop claiming what is not yours
Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by Omololu007(m): 1:08pm On Aug 28, 2015
basilo101:
at least Bia obviously mean come in igbo
it is not bia-fra but bi-a-fra,,so you ibos should stop claiming what is not yours
Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by Princewill1(m): 1:13pm On Aug 28, 2015
Omololu007:
biafra is not an ibo word,period.
YOU ARE BEYOND REDEMPTION!
If its an english word;tell me what it means in english.
If its a portuguese word;tell me what it means in portuguese.
Maybe it is a yoruba word?
I'm waiting for its meaning from ur own perspective BUSYBODY!
Re: The true meaning of the word Biafra by OfoIgbo: 1:13pm On Aug 28, 2015
Biafra is not an Igbo word, as the word does not apply to only Igbos.

Biafra applies to Efik, Ibibio, Izon, Igbo, Igala, Kalabari e.t.c

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

3 Arrested, Driver Flees Over Adulterated Petroleum Product In Imo / APC Convention: South West Picks Kekemeke, Omisore / How Influencers, Politicians Mislead Nigerians Ahead Of Elections

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.