Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,769 members, 7,806,120 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:45 AM

An Awkward Moment At The Office Today - Family (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / An Awkward Moment At The Office Today (32947 Views)

See Heartwarming Moment Father Consoles His Daughter During Her Wedding (photo) / 13 Awkward Things Married Women Do That Destroy Their Marriage. / Check Out The Killer That Was Killed At My Office Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by gurunlocker: 9:35pm On Aug 29, 2015
IHate9ja1:
Gbese re o
Wetin happen
Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by AmakaDNB(f): 9:47pm On Aug 29, 2015
lipsrsealed

Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by Ndolarr: 9:50pm On Aug 29, 2015
I believe the witches in delta are responsible for the woman not taking in again! The children belong to the man as they are miracle children! The neighbor has no fault in this matter, abi?!
Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by mayorbillz(m): 9:59pm On Aug 29, 2015
Where is the confidentiality in ur profession?

3 Likes

Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by Nobody: 10:06pm On Aug 29, 2015
Another titles for this thread are 1) A rising in the sun 2)If we must die 3)We wear the mask 4)Yet do I marvel 5)Yellow purple. Thank you,may God settle them.
Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by tintingz(m): 10:07pm On Aug 29, 2015
MuhdG:

Lol. Didn't u understand d story?
I was booking space. Lol.
Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by Royver(m): 10:20pm On Aug 29, 2015
mayorbillz:
Where is the confidentiality in ur profession?
No names or dates were mentioned. This may have happened years ago. And its possible the story isnt even true.

1 Like

Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by rabbuy(m): 10:43pm On Aug 29, 2015
Ishilove:

Cheeeeiiii!!! shocked shocked

Some women sef embarassed

The man on his part was living in self deception. He knew in his sub-conscious that you can't father a baby with low sperm count but he opted to live in a fool's paradise. Shior.

After the devil, fear women cheesy grin
Gbam....
Awa wife you have spoken well ehn..
But the issue now is what is to be done cause does kids life are on the verge of a swerve
Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by spiralwedge(m): 10:48pm On Aug 29, 2015
Rover, pls educate me on the analysis... what should a normal sperm count be? what does sluggish mean?
Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by cococandy(f): 10:52pm On Aug 29, 2015
eyinjuege:
I really don't feel any pity for the man. It's obvious he's not the father of those kids. But then again, his marriage was built on lies right before it even took off. He knew he had low sperm count and still went ahead to get married without letting his spouse know.
They both deserve each other.

Exactly.
Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by alstacs(m): 10:54pm On Aug 29, 2015
Royver:
So this guy enters my office with a seminal fluid analysis report.
Time collected - 10am
Time tested - 10.15am
Motile 0%
Sluggish 20%
Dead/Immotile 80%
Sperm count 1 million.

I tell him the result and he says there is improvement. Previously Sluggish was less than 10%.

I ask how long he has been managing low sperm count. He said he discovered it just before his marriage of about 7yrs.

I ask if he has ever Impregnated anyone in the past and he tells me no but that he has two kids by his wife. In fact despite his low sperm count he has never had any problem getting his wife pregnant so much so that the wife has gotten pregnant on many other occasions but miscarried. That there were no issues until they moved from their previous neighbourhood to delta state. He recalls his wife and neighbor were very emotional when they left. Since they came to Asaba she has not so much as taken in...

I look at him and he looks slowly back at me as realisation sets in.

Awkward silence.

I do hope this is not a true life story. If it is, then you didn't do well to post your encounter here. Medical practice and all the support professions are guided by strong ethics and one of the greatest of them is confidentiality. Details of encounter (even if names and addresses are not mentioned) must never be discussed outside official Medical circles.
The rule on ethics instructs you to keep the secret the patient has entrusted to you even after the patient has died unless if you are compelled by law to do otherwise.

3 Likes

Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by alstacs(m): 11:01pm On Aug 29, 2015
Royver:

No names or dates were mentioned. This may have happened years ago. And its possible the story isnt even true.

It is good names were not mentioned, it however doesn't sound good to think this is permissible because it might have happened a long time ago. This should not be divulged even if the patient died 20 years ago.

1 Like

Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by Nobody: 11:02pm On Aug 29, 2015
ladyF:
Maybe its the stress of relocation lol

Its [size=20pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin
buhahaha! Or the semen experienced change of environment?

1 Like

Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by Nobody: 11:18pm On Aug 29, 2015
Ishilove:

Cheeeeiiii!!! shocked shocked

Some women sef embarassed

The man on his part was living in self deception. He knew in his sub-conscious that you can't father a baby with low sperm count but he opted to live in a fool's paradise. Shior.

After the devil, fear women cheesy grin
He thought they were miracle children. cheesy
Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by Roseey0(f): 11:28pm On Aug 29, 2015
Sharp op. Why the silence?
Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by Fearcom(m): 11:37pm On Aug 29, 2015
alstacs:

I do hope this is not a true life story. If it is, then you didn't do well to post your encounter here. Medical practice and all the support professions are guided by strong ethics and one of the greatest of them is confidentiality. Details of encounter (even if names and addresses are not mentioned) must never be discussed outside official Medical circles.
The rule on ethics instructs you to keep the secret the patient has entrusted to you even after the patient has died unless if you are compelled by law to do otherwise.

Seconded.
Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by Nobody: 11:55pm On Aug 29, 2015
spiralwedge:
Rover, pls educate me on the analysis...
what should a normal sperm count be?
what does sluggish mean?

A standard sperm count is 20million> (per ml), but based on the Nigerian climate/stress level_ 15million(per ml) can pass.

Motility is the speed of the sperm (40%> is viable), how fast does it move( that answers your sluggish question). Here his sperm's motility is 0%_ that means it ain't going nowhere baby. Pregnancy is not achievable.

In a situation where the count is high but motility is a bit low, then the numbers (count) can cover up. His case is a case of 'severe oligospermia'. They sometimes don't get better, except if they try ARTs (IUI, IVF/ICSI...)

Taking zinc and folic acid helps. Then lifestyle is an important factor.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by femi4: 12:19am On Aug 30, 2015
Na wa o, out of one million spermatozoa, not even one dey mobile
Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by Ishilove: 12:51am On Aug 30, 2015
rabbuy:

Gbam....
Awa wife you have spoken well ehn..
But the issue now is what is to be done cause does kids life are on the verge of a swerve
Hmmm, it is a very serious issue. She should confess who own the children. It isn't fair that the man is fathering and bearing his neighbour's children. Return to sender!! cheesy
Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by BuddhaPalm(m): 12:52am On Aug 30, 2015
Royver:
So this guy enters my office with a seminal fluid analysis report.
Time collected - 10am
Time tested - 10.15am
Motile 0%
Sluggish 20%
Dead/Immotile 80%
Sperm count 1 million.

I tell him the result and he says there is improvement. Previously Sluggish was less than 10%.

I ask how long he has been managing low sperm count. He said he discovered it just before his marriage of about 7yrs.

I ask if he has ever Impregnated anyone in the past and he tells me no but that he has two kids by his wife. In fact despite his low sperm count he has never had any problem getting his wife pregnant so much so that the wife has gotten pregnant on many other occasions but miscarried. That there were no issues until they moved from their previous neighbourhood to delta state. He recalls his wife and neighbor were very emotional when they left. Since they came to Asaba she has not so much as taken in...

I look at him and he looks slowly back at me as realisation sets in.

Awkward silence.

Oh chit!

1 Like

Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by Ishilove: 12:53am On Aug 30, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

A standard sperm count is 20million> (per ml), but based on the Nigerian climate/stress level_ 15million(per ml) can pass.

Motility is the speed of the sperm (40%> is viable), how fast does it move( that answers your sluggish question). Here his sperm's motility is 0%_ that means it ain't going nowhere baby. Pregnancy is not achievable.

In a situation where the count is high but motility is a bit low, then the numbers (count) can cover up. His case is a case of 'severe oligospermia'. They sometimes don't get better, except if they try ARTs (IUI, IVF/ICSI...)

Can you explain more on the lifestyle factor?
Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by Ishilove: 12:53am On Aug 30, 2015
BuddhaPalm:

Oh chit!
Esigbo chit grin grin
Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by Nobody: 12:54am On Aug 30, 2015
meaning the kids are not his?
Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by Ishilove: 1:00am On Aug 30, 2015
alstacs:

It is good names were not mentioned, it however doesn't sound good to think this is permissible because it might have happened a long time ago. This should not be divulged even if the patient died 20 years ago.
O nigga puhleese!! No names were mentioned so what is the big deal??

Royver please keep on posting these experiences for us to read and learn from. As long as the identities of those involved are hidden, then I find alstacs concerns irrelevant.

What do we then say about doctors who publish medical memoirs with details of cases which they have handled? Usually the identities of the patients are hidden and sometimes events and dates are changed to further protect them, but the core of the cases remain real.

5 Likes

Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by olajorn(m): 1:06am On Aug 30, 2015
Am sure he knows about it,he is just trying to Have his own real children...I just pity those children,because he wont be nice if later have his own children

1 Like

Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by t2luv1: 1:45am On Aug 30, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

Are you kidding me!!!! If I follow your analysis correctly just leaving in Nigeria has some other side effects that are beyond comprehension. That Kosi Kosi Kosi nah wah oo. Kosi electricity, kosi owo, kosi water now I need to add kosi sperm. Yee mogbe.

4 Likes

Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by t2luv1: 1:48am On Aug 30, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

Are you kidding me!!!! If I follow your analysis correctly just leaving in Nigeria has some other side effects that are beyond comprehension. This Kosi Kosi Kosi Country, nah wah oo. Kosi electricity, kosi owo, kosi water now I need to add kosi sperm. Yee mogbe.
Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by t2luv1: 1:59am On Aug 30, 2015
Ishilove:

Hmmm, it is a very serious issue. She should confess who own the children. It isn't fair that the man is fathering and bearing his neighbour's children. Return to sender!! cheesy

Imagine if the poor guy reside in USA, having signed the freaking kids birth certificate at birth, the law says he will be responsible for the kids welfare until they turn 18. If he ever decide to leave the woman he is still on the hook for child support for the kids that might be his own. I am not condoning a man killing his wife in this sort of situation but as a man I will understand where the man might may be coming from. Like I always say Mama babies, Daddy's maybe. Having DNA done at birth is a must even if the woman is your wife. Woman even though you my wife, and I trust you, having this DNA on this child is just my own affirmation of the trust I have in you. Now ain't that a valid reason.

1 Like

Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by AreaFada2: 2:27am On Aug 30, 2015
Wendie94:
When them tell people say Karma is a bit*h, them go dey do gragra. How can you take a lady from her father's mansion to the BQ you live in without telling her that you got low sperm count. He just got served.
But there could be reasons. Maybe he could not bear to break up the engagement. He said he found out "just" before the marriage. OP should have found out "just how close to wedding" it was. Anyhow paying bad with bad does not cut it.

This is coming from a guy who was once duped by an infertile girl. Wasted two years with her only to find out about 6 months to marriage. From a clinical source. No single doubt. She had destroyed her womb through abortion. One was ready to forgive but for the continued lies and denial by her and her mother. One wanted her to get any possible treatment like IVF and bills no problem. If they just admit and come clean. But they continued the lies. Their dad didn't know of her abortion. As usual mothers and daughters keep these secrets. All they both wanted was just for her to get abroad. So everything had to end.

One funny thing is many people, even educated folks, still regard male infertility to be same as impotence. Very funny hearing it in a clinical setting. grin

In another news: 50% of first born kids belong to another man & 30% of all kids belong to another man. Men's infertility is NOT responsible for all that.
Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by Royver(m): 4:12am On Aug 30, 2015
alstacs:

What confidentiality have I broken? Do you know how many people come to the hospital everyday with oligospermia? Do you know how varied the results are? Do you even know if these results are true? So a doctor cannot site an example if he wants to educate or pass across a message because he is afraid maybe someone will start tracing all the patients he has seen for twenty years to know which patient he is talking about? So if I tell you of a patient I saw ten years ago who had HIV and refused to tell her husband and managed to have three children by him without infecting him then I have broken patient confidentiality?

It doesn't work that way bro. I have written a lot of short stories and encounters here, some fictional and some real and I can assure you you can't tell which is which. That's why they are called stories. As long as I don't mention the names or ages or specific details of such people I haven't done anything wrong. That is why doctors can write memoirs. That is why Ben Carson can write about his encounters.
All the same thanks for your concern.

5 Likes

Re: An Awkward Moment At The Office Today by Originalsly: 4:20am On Aug 30, 2015
Hmmm....my friend has been married for 7 years.....with 2 kids....has moved to Delta State.... Asaba.... and there were rumours that his neighbour was a bit too close to his wife. I would direct him to this thread....the test results maybe very familiar to him. @OP....you have given more than enough information for the person to be identified. You can now try to cover yourself by saying this is all made up. I guess your mouth has made the local rounds and now decide to take this confidential information worldwide. Did you for a second think about the repercussions your loose lips can cause?...the lives it can severely affect? I wish you get kicked out of the medical field ...but can direct you to another field of employment where your loose lips can be gainfully employed. And we wonder why men are afraid to go do medical check up.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Churches And Wedding Wahala. What Is Your Take On This? / Woman Quits Marriage, Marries Daughter’s Boyfriend In Kano / Day-old Baby Found Inside Uncompleted Building In Ondo (pictured)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.