Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,249 members, 7,807,841 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:33 PM

Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! (4549 Views)

Bigdeals Has Scamming Tendency. Buyers Beware! / Fraud Alert;Buyers Beware!(caveat Emptor) / Caveat Emptor!!! LATEST AUTO-SCAM TECHNIQUE (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by calculusx(m): 7:10pm On Aug 28, 2015
Dear People of Nairaland, these Scammers have come again ooo, with another technical & smart technique involving Buyer and Seller and they acting as middle-men, the more enlightenment is made on this their new technique the better everyone beware.

Gone are those days where fraudsters scam dealers or vendors with fake credit alert before upgrading to fake custom auctioning of Cars. This new Technique will sweep you off your feet. He came very close but thank GOD oluwa is involved. BRB

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by jayzon: 7:14pm On Aug 28, 2015
Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by calculusx(m): 7:26pm On Aug 28, 2015
I know quite well that YOU, Christopher {if that is your real Name} will be reading this but one advice I have for you is to desist from this act or you will ever regret what action will befall you soon. I mean very soon.

1 Like

Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by InfinityEstates: 7:31pm On Aug 28, 2015
Please narrate what happened so that others can learn from it.
Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by damola1: 7:32pm On Aug 28, 2015
InfinityEstates:

Are you a learner?

1 Like

Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by InfinityEstates: 7:39pm On Aug 28, 2015
damola1:

Are you a learner?
Seriously?? undecided
Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by calculusx(m): 7:47pm On Aug 28, 2015
InfinityEstates:

Pardon me my brother, I'm still in shock that someone could come so close to scam me. Christopher, I can spend #1m to look for #100 Naira if I have your time. I will fish you out from wherever you are, thank your star we don't have a working system in Nigeria but aside that, whenever the Police wish to really do their job, they will do it excellently.
Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by calculusx(m): 7:51pm On Aug 28, 2015
A careful search on your Phone Number just revealed to me you are one of the fraudsters perpetrating on NL. Your days are Numbered

Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by Nobody: 7:51pm On Aug 28, 2015
calculusx:

[size=14pt] Pardon me my brother, I'm still in shock that someone could come so close to scam me. Christopher, I can spend #1m to look for #100 Naira if I have your time. I will fish you out from wherever you are, thank your star we don't have a working system in Nigeria but aside that, whenever the Police wish to really do their job, they will do it excellently [/size]
quit lamenting..wetin happen joor? Hw can sm1 as experienced as yoursef almost get scammed
Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by calculusx(m): 8:02pm On Aug 28, 2015
AlphaMoi:
quit lamenting..wetin happen joor? Hw can sm1 as experienced as yoursef almost get scammed

[size=14pt] He only tried to but when you have staffs and you give them strict instructions, some of them do not understand the reasons behind such instructions. I will try to make it brief as he will be viewing this thread with another moniker[/size]

1 Like

Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by Tomjazzy2: 8:04pm On Aug 28, 2015
I am so loving the atmosphere in the Auto section lately smiley

But Ogbeni, dem do you jazz join make you no fit narrate wetin happen undecided

3 Likes

Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by BONES488: 8:10pm On Aug 28, 2015
Following..
Their days are numbered.
Oga spill already

1 Like

Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by calculusx(m): 8:31pm On Aug 28, 2015
[size=14pt] I received a call as early as 8am this morning on a 2004 Lexus I have available for sale, my instinct after our conversation was negative, I went back to bed. Few mins later, he started calling me repeatedly I didn't pick until the call was unbearable for me. He told me he is very much interested in Purchasing the Lexus that can I move it to so so so place I said NO because it's out of my zone. I ended the call. He called back again showing soo much interest that it's a point and kill {inspect & pay} transaction without no stories, I obliged.
He pretended to be a buyer, but someone will inspect the Vehicle on his behalf before he credit my account, but WE later found out he was nothing but a scammer. 1hr after he gave me the contact number of the supposed person to inspect the Vehicle on his behalf, my instinct still tells me something is fishy. I didn't call the person nor pass the information across to any of my staff who will be taking the Vehicle down to the person for inspection.

The calls continued repeatedly until I pass the details across to one of my staff to take the Vehicle down. As a matter of fact, I ensured 2 people took the Car down and also Instruct them to make Photocopy of the Particulars and should in case the Vehicle Papers need to be verified, the photocopy should be given to them for verification. Brb time for dinner grin
[/size]

1 Like

Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by calculusx(m): 10:18pm On Aug 28, 2015
[size=14pt] Fast forward, scammer 09035551351 requested for my account details and contact number of my staff taking the Vehicle down for Inspection, I felt reluctant releasing my bank info because of my suspicion but at a point I sent him an account I don't have up to #5k in grin I left everything for my staff to take care of and I never heard back from the scammer 09035551351 not until when the issue of payment came into play {4hrs after}.

Let me digress a bit, at this point, he was calling me, calling my staff and at the same time calling the buyer, telling the buyer to be far away from my staff so as not to hear their conversation. The Buyer was also suspicious but decided to play along since the Vehicle is right in his front. For the first time I spoke with the buyer directly and he made me understand the Vehicle was offered to him for #2m but after further negotiations between them, he {scammer} claimed he needed money as soon as possible to settle customs in port so his other cars won't accumulate storage fee over the weekend, so they settled for #1.7m for a 2004 Tokunbo Lexus RX 330 oooo.

At this Point, the suspicion was very high and revealing to all parties { buyer, seller and scammer } about the deal. He { scammer 09035551351} called me to calm my staff down that he is about to hamper the transaction. I asked him why did he gave the buyer a different bank info from my own bank info? He claim the buyer had initially transferred some money to him and he needed to receive the balance from the buyer that he had already transferred the sum of #2.8m to my account when he was yet to receive the remaining balance from the supposed buyer. I reminded him he pretended to be the buyer when he contacted me in the morning and not the other way round in the afternoon, his story changed again.

From there, the buyer knew he had been talking to someone else pretending to be the real owner of the Vehicle and a different account was given to him to wire funds to. Out of suspicion, the buyer instructed the Cashier not to wire the funds yet until he instructs her to do so. Christopher, {if this is your real Name} your are doom and you will soon be apprehended, I can bet it with you. I will post your picture with handcuffs on your hand on NL. You and your accomplice like kings autos will soon spend the rest of your life behind bars.

You are actually waiting for the man's credit alert and in-between calling all of us at the same time to disrupt our conversation. The mistake I made initially was not to have googled your #, that would have saved me the whole stress and trauma you put everyone into Today. People like you now put the integrity of middle men who connect buyers with dealers into question by acting too smart and divert funds to your account. Your gimmick and latest scam will not work. I will do everything possible to create more awareness on this latest scam of yours so everyone can beware. Details of your Bank Account will be provided shortly. Get a life
[/size]
Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by Tomjazzy2: 10:28pm On Aug 28, 2015
confusing epistle you have up there @OP

4 Likes

Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by calculusx(m): 10:58pm On Aug 28, 2015
Tomjazzy2:

[size=14pt] Yes it sound confusing and that is the technicality in the scam but here is a summary. zixmotors contacted me this morning pretending to be the buyer while I take the Vehicle to someone to inspect on his behalf not knowing the person we took the Vehicle to was the real buyer. He ensured the buyer didn't discuss any transaction with my staff. As a buyer, what he needs to verify is the Vehicle which was right in front of him.

Neither me nor my staff knew about how much both of them agreed on, but the buyer was still very suspicious of the deal because of the price zixmotors said he should pay. Where my staff goofed was that he was in the bank with the man but didn't verify the account details the man was transferring the money to. He taught since I already gave zixmotors my bank info in the morning which he should have passed across to the man whom he taught only want to inspect the vehicle on behalf of zixmotors. It was later after they left the bank both of them discuss and got to know a different account and a ridiculous price was given to him.

The Technicality there is, he pretended as if he owns the Vehicle and ensure the buyer didn't discuss any details with the dealer that bring the Vehicle. Dealers who have sold cars through middle-men will understand how it works better. He then gave the buyer his own account info instead of the dealer's account info. Dealer will get to know of a change in bank info after buyer had already transfer money into middle-man's account awaiting to take possession of the Vehicle right in front of the Bank. Hope you get the drift now. Let he who have ears hear. These scammers are devising technique everyday
[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by evergreen247: 10:59pm On Aug 28, 2015
The buyer don't know the middle men (scammer) and does not know the real dealer? Did the buyer deposit any money to him ( middle men)? if yes, what is happening between the two now?
Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by vani86: 11:02pm On Aug 28, 2015
Tomjazzy2:

It aint cofusing at all. Just say you cant comprehend what he wrote.

Next time, take your time and read it through. OP did you get the buyers number? Both of you should work together and catch d crook
Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by calculusx(m): 11:08pm On Aug 28, 2015
evergreen247:
The buyer don't know the middle men (scammer)? [size=14pt] Yes. They don't know each other neither did I know the scammer too. A lot of middle man contact dealers for deals and vehicle will be taken to buyer who negotiates with the middle man and the transaction ends there. Sometimes, the middle-man work remotely and at times might be present. This is a norm especially in Lagos. [/size]

Did the buyer deposit any money to him? [size=14pt] YES he did but was suspicious of the deal so he instructed the Cashier not to transfer the funds yet until he instruct her to do so. It's very Technical. Had it been the buyer wasn't suspicious of the deal, the money is long gone. [/size]

sorry but these questions are bugging me.
Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by evergreen247: 11:16pm On Aug 28, 2015
Wow, this is real eye opener. Middle men business are in trouble. This scammers are just busy destroying the honest man's means to eat. Things are really getting worse everyday. Nawao. Thank God he didn't succeed.

1 Like

Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by NanaF: 12:14am On Aug 29, 2015
Na wa o.

From your end, since its middle man business, I guess you're not supposed to discuss price or get too close to the buyer since the middle man will rightly have added his own money.

Meanwhile, the buyer in his own mind won't likely discuss price with you because he feels he has been speaking with the owner of the car and hes just there to inspect the car and pay to the account he's been given (Scammer's a/c)

Buyer and Seller are given two different stories by the scammer.

Ha!

These people just sit down and devise evil strategies, instead of them to use their head for better things. That was a close one. He will get caught soon if he continues. This is mega scamming!

He would have been N1.7m richer, just like that and then the buyer would have been seriously confused and dragging you for car that he didn't pay for.

Thank God o!

1 Like

Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by Tomjazzy2: 8:22am On Aug 29, 2015
vani86:

Next time, take your time and read it through. OP did you get the buyers number? Both of you should work together and catch d crook

and assume you comprehended what I wrote undecided

I never said I didn't understand the OP's original post, I just made the remark which I understand he has already acknowledged
calculusx:

[size=14pt] Yes it sound confusing [/size]
Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by calculusx(m): 8:45am On Aug 29, 2015
NanaF:
Na wa o.
From your end, since its middle man business, I guess you're not supposed to discuss price or get too close to the buyer since the middle man will rightly have added his own money.
Meanwhile, the buyer in his own mind won't likely discuss price with you because he feels he has been speaking with the owner of the car and hes just there to inspect the car and pay to the account he's been given (Scammer's a/c)
Buyer and Seller are given two different stories by the scammer.
Ha!
These people just sit down and devise evil strategies, instead of them to use their head for better things. That was a close one. He will get caught soon if he continues. This is mega scamming!
He would have been N1.7m richer, just like that and then the buyer would have been seriously confused and dragging you for car that he didn't pay for.
Thank God o!

[size=14pt] imagine ooo. This is a mega scam. Christopher/zixmotors, as you wake up Today and you breathe fresh air, one prayer I have for you is may you meet your waterloo very soon.
The story didn't end here though, it continues. Will share soon
[/size]

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by lade007(m): 9:12am On Aug 29, 2015
People looking for unrealistic deals will almost always be scammed. One way not to be scammed is to be realistic
Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by lade007(m): 9:15am On Aug 29, 2015
calculusx:

[size=14pt] imagine ooo. This is a mega scam. Christopher/zixmotors, as you wake up Today and you breathe fresh air, one prayer I have for you is may you meet your waterloo very soon.
The story didn't end here though, it continues. Will share soon
[/size]

Thank God for your life Calculusx.....it would have been ugly and taken a whole lot of your time and money to get out of this if it actually pulled through.
Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by azpekuliar: 9:38am On Aug 29, 2015
vani86:

The first post was confusing at first, but he then clarified it with the second post.
Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by vani86: 9:44am On Aug 29, 2015
azpekuliar:

The first post was confusing at first, but he then clarified it with the second post.

The dude still did not get it until the 3rd clarification.

I aint trying to sound smart, but i got the gist in d 2nd post.
Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by vani86: 9:46am On Aug 29, 2015
lade007:
People looking for unrealistic deals will almost always be scammed. One way not to be scammed is to be realistic

Thank you, how can someone see a clean 2009 corrola sport for 750 k and think it is genuine.

If it sounds too good to be true, it aint true.

Even if that car will go for that amount, it means it has serious issues which 300k may not solve or stolen

1 Like

Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by deeonlyme: 11:51am On Aug 29, 2015
Different tricks every day... that means we all have to confirm account numbers with buyers in case there's a middle man involved
Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by calculusx(m): 12:30pm On Aug 29, 2015
deeonlyme:
Different tricks every day... that means we all have to confirm account numbers with buyers in case there's a middle man involved

[size=14pt] Yes ooo. When a 3rd Party is involved. As a matter of fact moving Cars around to show Customers is now Prohibited like I read on Property Section weeks ago where builders who travelled to far East were been kidnapped and made to withdraw money from their ATM [/size]
Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by betandwin8484: 1:10pm On Aug 29, 2015
calculusx:

[size=14pt] Yes ooo. When a 3rd Party is involved. As a matter of fact moving Cars around to show Customers is now Prohibited like I read on Property Section weeks ago where builders who travelled to far East were been kidnapped and made to withdraw money from their ATM [/size]

What ? ok things are getting out of hand, One has to be extremely careful
Re: Caveat Emptor!!! Another Scamming Technique!!!! Buyers & Sellers Beware!!! by calculusx(m): 3:41pm On Aug 29, 2015
[size=14pt] Still on the matter my people.... Trying to bring the buyer to make his input here so we all can learn about these Fraudsters modus-operandi.
Like someone said,the best way not to get scammed is to be realistic with deals. There is heavy tendency of getting scammed with unrealistic deals.
[/size]

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

SOLD! Tokunbo Mercedes Benz C300 2008 / Honda Accord EOD 03 Coupe Tokunbo (SOLD,SOLD) / ₦135million: Sylvester Stallone's Used 2019 Cadillac Escalade Up For Sale(Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.