Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,503 members, 7,808,852 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:58 PM

Is The Problem Of Nigerian Youth Unemployment Or Unemployability? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is The Problem Of Nigerian Youth Unemployment Or Unemployability? (1424 Views)

Unemployment - Why A Fool Is Always Successful In Job Hunting Than A Wise Man / The Unemployability Of Nigerian Graduates / Why Entrepreneurship Is Not The Solution To Unemployment In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Problem Of Nigerian Youth Unemployment Or Unemployability? by kingdejy: 12:10pm On Aug 29, 2015
I will always emphasized and reemphasized that the only panacea in solving Nigeria problem in this 21st century is the holocaust drive for human capital development. The citizen must be educated, trained and be retrained. I have seen and heard the well-meaning and patriotic Nigerian, especially my great mentor Fela Durotoye how they have taken it as their sole responsibility to be a nation builder by building this country. They are developing the human capital from different sphere, contributing to nation building. They have a dream to make Nigeria one of the most desirous nations in the year 2025 which I am gladly keen to this vision and I pledge to contribute my own quota of development for the actualization of this dream.
One of the major problems plummeting the youth in Nigeria is unemployment. But I want to ask this thought provoking question, is unemployment the problem or unemployability? Before we can make our conclusions, we have to define these two terminologies. Unemployment as we were told in economic is a process whereby an able, learned, skilled man or woman is unable to get a good job due to unavailability of jobs. While unemployability is the process whereby an able, learned man or woman is unable to get a good job due to lack of prerequisite skill to get a job.
Some might say there is no job; yes I agreed with you that there are limited jobs out there. But let me remind you that there are some people in country that change job the way they like. I met a young man recently and we were discussing about the high level of unemployment and he agreed with me that the major issue is unemployability and not employment. Within the last three years he has worked in four different major corporations. He said, ‘’I can’t work in any organization that would not give me private car and the least salary i can take is 400,000 income in a month’’ and he graduated 5years ago. He said, no interviewer can turn me down, what would happen is that they would not be able to meet my requirement.
Anytime I remembered this guy, I always asked myself, is this man a special creature? No! He worked on himself and makes himself special, desirable and irrefutable in the corporate world. Your case is not different; you can even be better and more desirous than him. Only if you can follow what he did and what he is doing, which I will be explaining as we progress in this treatise.
Let stop today to avoid any bulky story. We will continue tomorrow, it is exciting and I can guarantee you, it will transform your life.
Stays bless and see you at the top.
kingstrainingsystem@gmail.com
KING
Re: Is The Problem Of Nigerian Youth Unemployment Or Unemployability? by victor2fresh(m): 12:13pm On Aug 29, 2015
Re: Is The Problem Of Nigerian Youth Unemployment Or Unemployability? by eme1n(m): 12:39pm On Aug 29, 2015
Imho, employability. Many lack depth and quality, reading and learning culture is low.

1 Like

Re: Is The Problem Of Nigerian Youth Unemployment Or Unemployability? by orunto27: 12:59pm On Aug 29, 2015
The problem of Nigeria is no jobs, no money, no food and there is economic depression every where. There is also no free fresh any where around any more.
Re: Is The Problem Of Nigerian Youth Unemployment Or Unemployability? by Paschal001: 1:10pm On Aug 29, 2015
Hmmm.... You have a point but my dear, all hands are not equal, most people have struggled to acquire a degree in various fields, to make yourself better would require more money especially all this professional courses and computer related skills, eg how much would it cost an average Nigerian to learn CISCO, SPSS, I wanted to get a diploma in project management and the price was 45k, haba, were can I get such money, I opted for HSE, and that one was like 60k. .. .. So guy.. For one to be well equipped, he needs money
Re: Is The Problem Of Nigerian Youth Unemployment Or Unemployability? by dayo23(f): 3:09pm On Aug 29, 2015
kingdejy:

I will always emphasized and reemphasized that the only panacea in solving Nigeria problem in this 21st century is the holocaust drive for human capital development. The citizen must be educated, trained and be retrained. I have seen and heard the well-meaning and patriotic Nigerian, especially my great mentor Fela Durotoye how they have taken it as their sole responsibility to be a nation builder by building this country. They are developing the human capital from different sphere, contributing to nation building. They have a dream to make Nigeria one of the most desirous nations in the year 2025 which I am gladly keen to this vision and I pledge to contribute my own quota of development for the actualization of this dream.
One of the major problems plummeting the youth in Nigeria is unemployment. But I want to ask this thought provoking question, is unemployment the problem or unemployability? Before we can make our conclusions, we have to define these two terminologies. Unemployment as we were told in economic is a process whereby an able, learned, skilled man or woman is unable to get a good job due to unavailability of jobs. While unemployability is the process whereby an able, learned man or woman is unable to get a good job due to lack of prerequisite skill to get a job.
Some might say there is no job; yes I agreed with you that there are limited jobs out there. But let me remind you that there are some people in country that change job the way they like. I met a young man recently and we were discussing about the high level of unemployment and he agreed with me that the major issue is unemployability and not employment. Within the last three years he has worked in four different major corporations. He said, ‘’I can’t work in any organization that would not give me private car and the least salary i can take is 400,000 income in a month’’ and he graduated 5years ago. He said, no interviewer can turn me down, what would happen is that they would not be able to meet my requirement.
Anytime I remembered this guy, I always asked myself, is this man a special creature? No! He worked on himself and makes himself special, desirable and irrefutable in the corporate world. Your case is not different; you can even be better and more desirous than him. Only if you can follow what he did and what he is doing, which I will be explaining as we progress in this treatise.
Let stop today to avoid any bulky story. We will continue tomorrow, it is exciting and I can guarantee you, it will transform your life.
Stays bless and see you at the top.
kingstrainingsystem@gmail.com
KING
Both of them
Re: Is The Problem Of Nigerian Youth Unemployment Or Unemployability? by Nobody: 6:16pm On Aug 29, 2015
Well, I guess it's every man for himself, for me am employable, and I'll employ people sometime soon, everyone for himself.
Re: Is The Problem Of Nigerian Youth Unemployment Or Unemployability? by RAFZY(m): 6:39pm On Aug 29, 2015
I beiief the major problem is unemployement because the job vacancies available are not commensurate with the number of graduates out there
Re: Is The Problem Of Nigerian Youth Unemployment Or Unemployability? by kingdejy: 1:58pm On Aug 31, 2015
I love your responses,Rafzy, Engrkenny, paschal, orunto, we are all right from our different perceptions. you know were the shoe is pinching you the more. if you think is unemployment you are right and if you think is unemployability you are right too. i want you to follow the other part of the story, may be at the end we will justify it all together.
Re: Is The Problem Of Nigerian Youth Unemployment Or Unemployability? by kingdejy: 2:01pm On Aug 31, 2015
IS THE PROBLEM OF NIGERIAN YOUTH UNEMPLOYMENT OR UNEMPLOYABILITY? Part 2

Good days folks, how was weekend? Hope you having an awesome day? This morning I will like to continue the story of my new friend, how he made himself indispensable in the corporate world and I am telling you also that your own case cannot be different. You also can be like him and even better. He told me, ‘’I never believed there is no job in this country, if I leave where I am working today, I can’t stay 2days before getting another job because lot of companies are on the queue to get me’’. I was startled when I heard this, I was interested the more, I turned myself to an interviewer getting every information I could get from him and he was glad to release them.

Let me ask you this question, what is the different between this guy and other youths out there? I know some might say, it is connection, I can categorically tell you based on the fact I got from him, he was only connected to his closed family and the next person he knows is God. He even lost his father when he was about to write his waec, so connection is very far from him. Some can say he is favoured, yes I don’t deny that fact but remember something will in treat the favour and faith without work is death.

Once again what is the different between this man and other unemployed youth out there? The different is knowledge and preparedness. This my friend has started preparing himself for the work place right from university days. He has attended different training about work place ethic, he is acquainted with relevant skills needed in the corporate place, and he wrote some professional courses right in the university. He read about how to compile winning CV right in 300 level and he wrote his CV and started helping other graduates to write their CVs while in school.

When his colleagues are goofing off or reading what their lecturer thought them in class, my guy will get a self-development book and start devouring them. He paid more attention to self-education rather than school education, from books, he knows that school education will do more but life education will do much for him. He is acquainted with the dos and don’t of corporate places and he is also aware of employer psychology.

He said something that was so profound, he said ‘’in my final year, I already know the industry I will like to work’’ he caught a niche for himself; the department he specialized on is totally different from what he studied in school. As a graduate waiting for NYSC he was earning income for writing CVs. SO can you see the different between this guy and you, and the other graduate out there. How many young professional or young graduate is aware of what this guy knew when he was in the university, very few and that is why we have myriads of them on the street.

Let stop here for today, I will finish the guy story by tomorrow, I guess you followed the steps, how he did it and how he made it to the top in his career. As I said earlier, it is not a magic, it is commitment and preparedness, and it pays for him. Check your life and make an adjustment, you are responsible for your life and your present situation.

Thanks for your time, hear from me again by tomorrow, if you have an idea or contribution, feel free to drop it in our blog or Facebook page. God bless you, have a glorious week ahead.

See you at the top. Kings Training System

King.
Re: Is The Problem Of Nigerian Youth Unemployment Or Unemployability? by kingdejy: 1:23pm On Sep 01, 2015
IS THE PROBLEM OF NIGERIAN YOUTH UNEMPLOYMENT OR UNEMPLOYABILITY? Part 3
Good morning, happy new month of September to remember for good. This is the concluding path of the story of my friend and then we will make our resolutions whether the main issue of Nigerian youth is unemployment or unemployability. When he told me how he has been writing winning CVs from year three in the university and I looked at my life and I remembered, I started writing my CV after my NYSC and it was even a copied one. How can I attend the same interview with this guy then and it would not dust me.
I guess you can see that life will always reward those that prepared for it. To be candid majority of graduates are not doing what this guy did and till today he is still studying and learning to always remain at the top in his field. This should be the same story to majority of young graduate out there. I was privilege to conduct an interview for some graduates in my former place of work, there, I confirm that majority of the graduate are half baked as they are called. Some people CVs are so ridiculous. Some that have better CVs cannot defend them because it was copied. The day I saw my friend CV, I was mesmerized, not because he has some fantastic qualifications but the way he packaged it, it would be difficult for any organization to turn him down.
Just imagine for a seconds, how would a company have 3 vacancies and it has to interview over 200 people to get the three, it is not what I told I was involved in the selection exercise. People are clamoring there is no job but the guardian and vanguard sell more on Tuesdays and Thursdays, week in, week out more than any national paper because of vacancies. If the companies that advertise don’t have the vacancies they would not have incur the cost of advertising in the papers. Some companies would even hire the service of recruiting agent to get the employee and they have to pay them.
In short this tells us that there are jobs in this country but it might not be surplus as we want them. If you have adequate knowledge, acquired prerequisite skills needed in the corporate world, you will surely get your job. As the prospective employee is clamouring there is no job, so also the employers of labour are clamouring there are no competent employees for their jobs. How do we strike the balance? Most of the graduates are human resource and not human capital, they have potentials but they have not been developed. They have not been trained and their skills are not producing result. Most of the organizations today do not want to go through the rigor of training graduate on some fundamental skills they should have learnt from school or by themselves.
In conclusion, as much as there is unemployment, unemployability is the major issue; the limited job is a survival of the fittest. The only way to be the fittest is through adequate knowledge of the workplace; you have to learn some skills needed in workplace both hard and soft skills. You have to understand employer psychology, what an average employer is looking for in his would be staff. Problem solving skill is inevitable and lot more.
That is why in kings training system we have made it our responsibility to train people and made them acquainted with relevant skills and knowledge needed to be successful in the corporate environment.
Follow us on our blog, we will daily share with you some of these skills needed to acquire your dream job and how to sustain yourself in the 21st century corporate world. Thanks for your time. We meet again tomorrow. Have a blessed day
Happy new month.
King.
Re: Is The Problem Of Nigerian Youth Unemployment Or Unemployability? by kingdejy: 8:26am On Sep 02, 2015
What you need to acquire your dream job in the 21st century workplace.

Good morning folks, hope you have a wonderful night? Previously I have been telling the story of my friend how he made himself indispensable in the corporate world. How he changes job as if he knows all the MDs of all these major corporations and nevertheless he knew his family members and God. There is one thing that stood him out among the crowd that is knowledge. Someone once said knowledge is one thing that you will invest in and you will never regret it. If you have been missing the story you can visit our blog kingstrainingsystem. or our facebook page kingstrainingsystem to follow it.
Do you know that most graduates remain unemployed not because they lack mental aptitude but they lack mental attitude towards getting job. People complain there is no job, do you realized some people change job intermittently, what is the different between those that are unemployed and those that change job like sachet water? Not because they are so much intelligent than others but they are acquainted with employer psychology, they know what the employer want. They know what to tell the interviewers that would make them irrefutable during the interview. They make themselves desirable not available, they are human capital not a human resources.
Like I said earlier knowledge cannot be overemphasized in the school of job acquisition. What you don’t know will hurt you, you will pay for what you don’t know but you will be paid for what you know. I am saying this because of one terrible experience I had sometimes ago due to the lack of knowledge. I went for an interview and I messed up myself in the presence of some young ladies and guys that was the interviewer. Barely, a year after my NYSC, I was called for an interview in a growing company, we were like twenty in attendance and they were calling us in one after the other.
When it came to my turn, I was called inside, I sat and they were asking me different questions and because I have crammed very well I was flowing, speaking big grammar, with my suit and tie well fitted, tall, handsome and good looking. When it was time to receive this big blow, the youngest among them which I believe I will be older than or been in the same age bracket asked me this opprobrious question. What kind of soft skills do you have that will make you effective and productive in our organization? I said to myself this is a very simple question.
I will stop here today to avoid bulkiness, don’t worry I will continue tomorrow and I will give you my beautiful answer to their question and some other things you need to do acquire your dream job.
Have a glorious day and see you at the top. Kings Training System
KING
Re: Is The Problem Of Nigerian Youth Unemployment Or Unemployability? by kingdejy: 11:16am On Sep 03, 2015
Hello, good morning, how was your night? Hope you slept well? Yesterday I was talking about how I was berated due to lack of knowledge. There is one thing I know and I am very sure of, if you bring 100 fresh graduate in a room and asked them this question, I am cork sure 90 of them will flaunt it. You may ask how do I know this, I have trained over 500 people on soft skills at different platforms and at the beginning of my presentation; I always asked the meaning of soft skill. I have not gotten up to 30 responses which is less than 10%, so when I am talking I know what I am saying.
When I started training people on soft skills, I pacified myself for the mistake I made in the past, realizing that I am not the only victim in this area. If you want to confirm this, you can ask people around you the same question and you will hear their response like a baby trying to learn how to talk. I never heard anything like that throughout my days in university or maybe I heard it and I didn’t put cognizance to it, I am not sure.
So during the interview as the lady asked me the question, my mind when straight to computer software, I was talking like parrot, pouring out words like a tap that lose control. The fact that I did a computer programme prior to that time, I was pouring out. One thing I noticed, the lady was asking, ‘’are you sure of what you are saying’’ and as she was asking, she was looking at the face of other interviewers and they were smiling. The funniest thing was that I was answering with poise like a man that is wooing a lady, so pathetic!
I never realized the gravity of what I did, because they said they would get back to me and I walked majestically out of the room but till today, I never got any response from them. It was after two years that I attended a seminar in university of Lagos and one of the speakers was telling us about soft skills. I almost cried that day, then I realized my blunders, how I turned myself to puppeteer performing at the front of those ladies. That is why I said yesterday that you will pay for what you don’t know but you will be paid for what you know. Today I am been paid for soft skills because after the seminar I made up my mind that I will learn anything I can learn about soft skills and I will let others be aware of it too.
The fact that you don’t know or heard of soft skills does not mean you are not intelligent, I answered all the questions very well except the soft skills and the risible of it was that, the lady saw it in my CV that was she asked me. It is your mental attitude toward job and not your mental aptitude that will get you the job. It is not only about graduating with good grade but are you acquainted with corporate world practice? Life in school is different from life outside the school. Most of the things being thought in school are irrelevant in the corporate world. For you to get your dream job you must equip yourself with corporate world terminologies, skills, knowledge and requirements, they are key and inevitable.
From tomorrow I will start sharing with you some of the skills and knowledge needed to be outstanding in the corporate world, that will make irrefutable and indispensable in the 21st century workplace.
Thank you for your time, hear from me tomorrow, have a great day. KINGS TRAINING SYSTEM.
KING
Re: Is The Problem Of Nigerian Youth Unemployment Or Unemployability? by kingdejy: 3:02pm On Sep 04, 2015
THE RELEVANCE OF SOFT SKILLS IN THE CORPORATE WORLD

Hello once again, how has your day been? I said yesterday, I will be sharing with you some of the skills needed to be irrefutable and indispensable in the 21st century corporate world. I might not be able to tell you everything now; when you attend our free training you will get to understand some things you need to know. Today I will like to expose you to soft skills. The reason why I love to teach soft skills is because of my experience in the past. And I also realized it is not thought in our schools, therefore majority of our graduates are not acquainted to it.
Soft skill is one of the requirements to become a human capital, I have discussed something in my previous post on human capital, and you can refer to that for better understanding. To become a human capital you need both soft skills and hard skills but for this treatise, I will be dwelling on soft skills. Before I proceed, I want to differentiate between soft skill and hard skill. Soft skills are your personality trait, habit and character that we exhibit as an individual that mark our way of life and how we interrelate with other people in our environment.
They are the emotional intelligence, they are skills which cannot be seen with your naked eye but there impact can be felt. While hard skills are the qualifications required to be successfully at a job, they are teachable and technical skills, example your accounting, computer, mathematics, writing, engineering skill etc. Hard skill may get you the interview but soft skill will get you the job and secure the job for you.
Hard skills will teach you how to count money while soft skills will teach how to make money. Hard skill will give you knowledge while soft skills will give you knowledge and wisdom. You can be successful without hard skills but you can’t be successful without soft skills. Hard skills give paper or academic qualification while soft skills give you real life experiences. Hard skills will make you a job seeker while soft skills will make you job creator.

There are lots of things soft skills will give you and hard skills will never give you. The evolvement of service based companies, increases the relevance of soft skill, most organizations now rated soft skills in their priorities list for their day to day business activities.
Employers are more interested in the employee with relevant soft skills because hard skills such as computer programming or any new technology are easy to learn while soft skills such leadership, attitude and problem solving skill are very difficult to learn because they have been ingrained into the system through perceptions.
The importance of soft skills can never be over emphasized in the 21 century corporate world. That is why as a graduate you can work anywhere, now you see someone study Yoruba education, working in the bank. They are not so much interested in his or her qualifications they interested in his soft skills, his attitude towards their client, how he would be able to communicate effectively with the customer. How he can proffer solution to their problems when they arise. So these are the things that are interested to them not your Yoruba.
We have different kind of soft skills that are peculiar to a particular organization; by tomorrow I will be sharing some of the soft skills that are very common to most of these organizations. Thanks for your time. Have a bless day.
KINGS TRAINING SYSTEM
KING
Re: Is The Problem Of Nigerian Youth Unemployment Or Unemployability? by kingdejy: 3:26pm On Sep 05, 2015
THE RELEVANCE OF SOFT SKILLS IN THE CORPORATE WORLD (part 2)
The original design of education by the philosophers and the missionaries was to give both hard and soft skills. However, due to lack of focus, priorities have been lost and the head has been turned to be the tail. Some of our lecturers in schools met the process and they are transferring the process to us too.
The essence of education is to train people on hard skills which are teachable skills, and soft skills which are attitudes, morals and ethics. The former has overshadowed the later; credence is no more given to soft skills any longer.
All they (lecturers) are interested in is for you to come to class, attend lectures, read your books, write your exams and pass; forgetting that examination is not a true test of human ability.
All the activities in school are to teach us one thing or the other. Being in school without your parent monitoring, teaches you how to be independent. Studying with different people from different race and background should teach you team work. Also your exams and tests are to develop your problem solving skill. But all these are no longer recognized and they are to play a vital role in education and in the life of the student in general.
I will be discussing with you some of the important soft skills – positive attitude, communication skills, problem solving skills, effective team work, leadership and lots more. These are what every organization needs from you. You are been employed in an organization because of the problems they have and need you to solve.
The vacancy in an organization is a challenge and that is why they need you to help them fill the vacuum and proffer solution to their problem. That is the major reason for your employment, not because of the money or income you will get.
Once you can convince your interviewer and let them know the reason behind your employment, that you are coming to help and not to create more problems, you have created an opportunity for yourself. Once you have this at the back of your mind and you are able to express it, you have scored 50% already.
Tomorrow I will be discussing positive attitude and I will be sharing different skills one after the other until we are done and move to other crucial aspect.
Also you can attend our free training and you will be exposed to details of all these skills from experts and you will be glad you did.
We catch tomorrow and we will continue from here. Have a nice day and blissful weekend.
KINGS TRAINING SYSTEM
KING
Re: Is The Problem Of Nigerian Youth Unemployment Or Unemployability? by kingdejy: 3:44pm On Sep 07, 2015
POSITIVE ATTITUDE TOWARDS GETTING A JOB
Good day, hope you have a wonderful weekend? I said to you on Saturday that I will be discussing with you positive attitude. I said during one of my posts that most people are unemployed not because they lack mental aptitude but because they lack mental attitude. They are jobless not because they are not intelligent or smart but because they don’t have the right attitude to get job
There are positive and negative attitude. In order to be relevant and successful in the corporate world or for you to acquire your dream job, you must portrait a positive attitude.
There is no place for people with negative attitude in the workplace or in any endeavor in life. There is an attitude required of you as a graduate looking for job. There is an attitude require from you by your employer. There is an attitude of the corporate world you must portrait.
The greatest attitude in life is the attitude of gratitude; you must show and exhume gratitude in every place at every time. When you are grateful for little you will get more. For instance if you are invited for an interview, it is an opportunity among the myriad of unemployed out there. So when you are invited, the first thing to do is to show gratitude.
If there is an email or number from that company, send a message showing how grateful you are for inviting you for the interview. Also you must show gratitude when you appear at the interview panel.
Another attitude you must show is, you must radiate happiness, and you must be excited always. As you come into the interview room, greet everyone gracefully with a charming smile. Let them know you are happy, even though you trek to the venue or you have not eaten for days, you must still be happy. You must always see possibilities and not challenges or limitations in every situation. You must not let your challenges overwhelm you enough that you lose focus or concentration.
Positive people focus on opportunity in everything and not limitation and that is the kind of attitude any employer would want his or her staff to have. They must be able to know that after employing you and challenges arises you must be able to manage it effectively. Not fidgeting, shy away or sissy in the mist of challenges. Every organization is looking for courageous people not a weakling.
You must be optimism, upbeat and vivacious. You must learn how to respond to situation and not reacting to it. You are positive when you respond and negative when you react to situations. Your attitude is your passport to a great and successful life in any endeavor, whether in career, finances, family, relationships, etc.
Always remember this; it is your attitude and not your aptitude that will determine your altitude in life. Let stop here today we will continue tomorrow for the later part of it. Thanks for your time and have a glorious day’
KING TRAINING SYSTEM
KING

(1) (Reply)

Direction Need Frm Alaba To Okota- Isolo Very Urgent / Call Centre Agents Job At Total Health Trust Limited / I Need A Ghost Writer!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.