Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,131 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:33 AM

History Of Udiroko Festival In Ado Ekiti - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / History Of Udiroko Festival In Ado Ekiti (6936 Views)

200-Year-Old Crocodile Showcased At Ero Okeliwo Festival In Ogun (Photos) / PHOTOS From Udiroko Festival In Ado Ekiti / Fayose Steals The Show At Udiroko Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

History Of Udiroko Festival In Ado Ekiti by shorxynla(m): 11:11pm On Aug 29, 2015
ADO-EKITI is an ancient city, founded in the year 1310. A.D by His Royal Majesty the Ewi Awamaro the son of Ewi Apa (Biritikolu) after the defeat of King Elesun of Ilesun or Emure Kingdom and the destruction of his Empire.

Ewi was not only a King , he was also supreme military Chief -General of his army and when his kingdom became extremely larger than the Original settlement in Osunle Odo (Odo-Ado), and moved to Oke-Ibon where he settled and founded Oke-Ewi the Ado mother town, the administrative and cultural demands of his office as a paramount ruler did not allow him to go on military expedition any longer.

Therefore he delegated his military position to his military second in command they were IIJC3Rlords who later became the traditional war Chiefs headed by Chief Barafon. It was the duty of each war chiefs to report his military achievements to the EWI.

The arrival of each successful war-chief was embraced with joy and various traditional songs. The people of Ado-Ekiti would assemble under IROKO TREE in front of Ewi’s Palace to welcome the military chiefs and rejoice with Ewi. At a point in time. EWI decided to be meeting all his war chiefs once in a year on a specific day for such post-war reports. Ewi picked ” OLORUN B’ORUN DAY the day that was initially specified for all Indigenes of Ado-Ewi to make offering of Kolanut and Walnuts in propitiation to their heads (ORI) known as OLORUN-BORUN for that purpose.

On the day of Olorunborun, prayers were said in every home in the town, and in the evening same day, the entire Ado community would assemble in Ewi’s Palace to receive Ewi’s Blessing as it was believed that Only Ewi have the power to make prayers accepted quickly by the Heavens. The assemblage of people under Iroko tree in Ewi’s palace on Olorunborun Day for the ceremony later became ” ODUN UDIROKO”. UDIROKO festival the Ado- Ekiti’s most important feast was desighted to feature both the NATION DAY and the NEW YEAR DAY in the defunct Ado Kingdom.

The Ewi is the principal celebrant while the War Chiefs (Elegbes) and others participate. Udiroko festival is usually an occasion of Happiness and merriment in Ado kingdom. The people generally rejoice that another milestone is covered or reached in their life’s journey: they have safely scaled the past year over to the new year.

No deity is worshiped in Udiroko and no ceremony is performed. It is a RITUAL FREE FESTIVAL . Udiroko festival attracts a great number of people and spectators from far and near, even in the past to see or know the EWI who is in all things supreme and divine and is rarely seen in public.

He entirely lives in ceremonial seclusion in his palace subject to many rituals and would appear to the people of his kingdom on the Udiroko day. ” TRADITIONS DIE HARD UDIROKO is still a crowd-pulling festivity in Africa.
EWI’ BE MI UA UDIROKO ELEITAJI ‘BE MI ESUN-SU OKO EWI ME YOO JUDI AJARO-RAN OWA TAJI ME YOO M’OWO JONA ORI ‘KOSE K’OLOJA MEJI MAJISE AJAKA OMO ARERE-OTU
TRANSLATION: EWI requests my participation in his Udiroko festival Eleitaji requests my participation in his Esun-su Oko festival Ewi, I cannot participate in Esunsu-Oko festival Two Ruler’s requests should not be rejected out-right I will comply with that of AJAKA omo- Arere-Otu.

Surf ice it here to say that the above poem brings into mind the historical importance of the Ewi and his Udiroko festival. To usher in the festival. The celebration begins early in the morning with booming of guns in all parts of the city and which adds splendor and grandeur to the festival.

The WAR Chiefs (Elegbes) entertains the people in their respective communities with food, drinks and Walnut and Kolanuts which are generally served to people. The war Chiefs (Elegbes) with their hunters in their domain converge with dance at the war Chiefs leader, Barafon’s lodge (Akodi) to have their prayers for Ado-Ekiti and Barafon will entertain them after they dance from there to the EWI’S Palace the Venue of the Celebration drumming and singing WAR SONGS like: OMO AROGUN S’ULE O (2ce) UROO DE..
OMO AROGUN SOYIN SEE OMO AROGUN SULE (2ce) UROO DE OMO AROGUN SOYIN SEE Chief Barafon the head of the wars Chiefs comes last dancing to bata drum with the following WAR SONGS. Solo: BAFON PARA KOGUN OP’ IKOGOSI KOGBON OP’ IKOGOSI TAN, O K’ AGOGO OJE. ‘BE WALE BAFON N’GOKE ALO IRUNMUNDUN NKUN YUNMUN-YUNMU Chorus: BABA O MOJA, O MOJA K’ARIJE NIBE BABA O MOJA Solo: AMUGBEYIN OBUNTUN RE NRAUN SORO O RAO BAFON URO IKUN B’IJE AIYE, KUN TUN B’IJE ARORUN Chr: BABA O MOJA KARIJE NIBE BABA O MOJA Solo : OGUN LE BARAFON O SOMO EWI NU AN RORI AKIN RA L’OJA OMO EWI ILORI ATE Chr: BABA O MOJA, O MOJA KAA RIJE NIBE BABA MOJA
The principal celebrant is High Royal Majesty EWI with his following war Chiefs (Elegbes)- Participating:- ELEGBE WAR CHIEFS OF OKE-EWI; • Barafon • Eleyinmi •Onigemo •Onikasomi •Olujoja •Akogun •Onigbepa •Olugbalesun – Oke- Ewi •Elesha •Osukoti •Ojomu •Oniloda • Osunmo – irona •Saruku – irona •Obanla – irona • Osindinle – Oke-Age • Egbedi – Orere Owu •Imi – irona • Orunnaja – Okesa •Elejofi – Okesa ELEGBE WAR CHIEFS OF ODO-ADO; Egbedi – Odo-Ado Elewere Oisape Oluloda Odo-Ado Saruku Oisangan Elejoka Elejua Elegbira Omoniare Saruku- Irode Saruku- Isao ELEGBE WAR CHIEFS OF OGBON META (OKE ILA); * Saruku -Ila * Olonje * Emila * Olubedo – ila * Oisape Udiroko festival of Ewi- Ado is a big parade of fashions in which new and modern clothes, ornaments and jewels are brought into display.
His Royal Majesty the Ewi rises three times to change his royal regalia robes and crowns while a MINIATURE EXHIBITION of ancient and modern crowns is mounted for the people to see. Traditional greetings and renewal of Oaths of Allegiance:- Oke- Ewi Chiefs: Olori marun (Oke-Ewi king makers) led by Chief Odogun salute His Royal Majesty the Ewi in the traditional way (shouting Ogo-Iyin three times) Chief Ologunsinkin leads the Elumo Chiefs (Elesi and Ijegbe) of Oke-Ewi to salute the Ewi also in the Traditional way ( shouting Ogo-Iyin three times)

ODO-ADO Chiefs : iare Merin led by Chief Odofin will also salute the Ewi-Ado ( shouting Ogo-Iyin three times)
Ogbon Meta (Oke-Ila) Olori Ogbon meta chiefs led by Alarierin salute His Royal Highness the Ewi in their own traditional way. ( shouting Ogo-Iyin three times)
Chief Balemo leads the ELU Chiefs to greet Ewi in their traditional way.( shouting Ogo-Iyin three times)
The Ewi Consorts- Eyesorun leads the Oloris to pay their homage to the Ewi With the ancient drums which is only seen during the Udiroko festival
The Elegbe (War Chiefs) dance in turns before His Royal Majesty the Ewi to renew their OATHS of allegiance and loyalty to him. ( shouting Ogo-Iyin three times)
Chief Barafon the head of War chiefs dance last in different actions like chasing people with his war sword and war staff and renew his Oath of allegiance and loyalty to His Majesty.
(shouting Ogo-Iyin three times)

Thereafter all Titular and Untitled Princes, distinguished sons and daughters in general salute the Kabiyesi in the traditional way shouting Kabiyesi Ooo” Elemupe Ekiti and other intermittent praises on the EWI.
The EWI would, in his speech on the throne, give general report of his Kingdom for the out-going year and resolution and advice for the New Year that is pregnated with certainties and uncertainties and bless every Ado-Ekiti indigenes (INU ODI) neighboring town (EYIN ODI) and Ekiti in general.
Udiroko festival is usually celebrated between the middle August and first week of September of every year. Udiroko the biggest among Other festivals in Ekiti is a traditional culture depicting the socio-religious aspect of the people’s way of life.

SOURCE: http://ekiti247.com/history-of-udiroko-festival-in-ado-ekiti/#sthash.U8hsI6G6.dpuf

1 Like 1 Share

Re: History Of Udiroko Festival In Ado Ekiti by odinese(m): 11:15pm On Aug 29, 2015
Allit
Re: History Of Udiroko Festival In Ado Ekiti by Nobody: 6:54am On Aug 31, 2015
Macof, please school us on this thread.

After I read through, I'll ask questions and your help will be greatly needed.
Re: History Of Udiroko Festival In Ado Ekiti by absoluteSuccess: 9:53am On Aug 31, 2015
Great piece. Ado is recurring decimal in Yoruba history, one of the 'forgotten heros and maker of Yoruba civilization'. I pray for more insight and intellectual materials to resocitate the great accomplishments of this patriarch and his peers, the 'owun Adaludo' of the earliest time. To God be the glory. #Omo Alado Moro Okege Agbon. Awayo Ogun o K'Ado ri...
Re: History Of Udiroko Festival In Ado Ekiti by brunofarad(m): 4:03pm On Aug 31, 2015
Educative indeed
Re: History Of Udiroko Festival In Ado Ekiti by Afam4eva(m): 9:59pm On Aug 31, 2015
I just saw this festival on TV like few days ago
Re: History Of Udiroko Festival In Ado Ekiti by shorxynla(m): 6:20pm On Sep 01, 2015
Afam4eva:
I just saw this festival on TV like few days ago
yes. It is an annual festival and it was celebrated last saturday.
Re: History Of Udiroko Festival In Ado Ekiti by macof(m): 7:09pm On Sep 01, 2015
9jacrip:
Macof, please school us on this thread.

After I read through, I'll ask questions and your help will be greatly needed.

Anyway I can be of assistance sir, am at Igede right now sef

(1) (Reply)

The Miship People Of Plateau State, Nigeria / Funny Naija Street / Area Names / Scarification In African Cultures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.