Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,825 members, 7,802,632 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:52 PM

Transporters At War With FRSC On Speed Limit Device - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Transporters At War With FRSC On Speed Limit Device (1979 Views)

Members Of Biafra BSS On Speed Boat Patrol / Yahaya Bello And Udom Emmanuel At War Over Dino Melaye / Dasukigate: I’m Not At War With Buhari, EFCC Over Court Orders —CJN (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Transporters At War With FRSC On Speed Limit Device by pafra(m): 7:17pm On Aug 31, 2015
Of Speed Limit Device
A major crisis that may disrupt road transportation in Nigeria for a long period if not averted by the Presidency has broken out between commercial transporters in the country and the Federal Road Safety Commission, FRSC.
The crisis of confidence between the two parties arises over the decision by the commission to introduce speed limit device technology on commercial vehicles with effect from September 1 this year. N35,000 for device, N1,000 for installation.
It was learnt that the FRSC is working with a private Nigerian firm to enforce the controversial deal, which would require each vehicle owner to buy the device for N35,000 and pay additional N1,000 for installation.
The transporters claim that with each of the 25 million vehicles in Nigeria paying N36,000 to the FRSC, it would rake in at least N900 billion from innocent Nigerians for a technology that would not add value to their lives.
In a protest letter to the FRSC, the transporters warned the commission to desist from going ahead with the project, as it would endanger the lives of vehicles owners rather than protect them and accused the FRSC of bringing an outdated technology to Nigeria, which had long been phased out in Britain, India, Kenya, Tanzania, United States of America and Uganda because of its adverse negative effects.
The road transporters writing under the aegis of International Human Rights and Anti-corruption Society gave the FRSC one month with effect from August 17, 2015 to publicly declare the discontinuation of the device or face a court action. In the letter addressed to the Corps Marshal of the FRSC, and signed by the Director General, Dr. U.O. Udofia and Secretary General, Barrister E.A. Egbebu, the group also drew the attention of the commission that it lacks the power to introduce the said device under the Section 10 (3) of the FRSC Act of 2007.
It warned that the FRSC should adopt and use the world acclaimed Spider Technology that comes with a 3-in-one high definition camera with long range monitoring of highways to capture over speeding vehicles.
The group pointed out that while it does not oppose the use of technology to control road speed limit on the highways, it would not fold its hands and allow the FRSC to bring in anything for money-making purpose and endanger the lives of vehicle owners.
They complained that while the Spider technology was being used globally it was wrong for the FRSC to contemplate installing speed limiter on vehicles so that they do not run beyond the fixed limit even when pursued by armed robbers, kidnappers, hired killers and car snatchers. “Speed limiter in all developed and African countries had been banned.
Again speed limit device had been discovered to expose motorists to danger such as armed robbery and other dangerous exposures.
“Therefore, in a country like Nigeria where there is serious prevalence of insecurity, the installation of speed limiter in vehicles would be counterproductive and self-defeating,” the transporters said. Meanwhile, the Federal Road Safety Commission has insisted that the speed limiter will be enforced by the commission with effect from tomorrow.

3 Likes

Re: Transporters At War With FRSC On Speed Limit Device by omophunky(m): 8:54pm On Aug 31, 2015
Let's just wait and see where this whole drama will lead us angry
Re: Transporters At War With FRSC On Speed Limit Device by guokai: 9:59am On Sep 21, 2015
Hi, let me share my story with you guys in Nigeria about speed limiters.
we are one of the speed limiter manufacturer based in china for over 9years now. In 2015 beginning, we are invited by one of Nigeria company to develop a vehicle speed limier which suitable for Nigeria market Standards NIS-755-1<2>-2014. And also was required to provide SONCAP lab testing report and certification.

But from so far experience, we found it may will become a joke for our business. Becasue the first enforcement date is said as 2015-06-01. and then for some reasons, its postponed to be 2015-09-01.

today is September 21, 2015, and i was told by my partner in Nigeria this may will be canceled because FRSC enforcement may not be serious.
and as my information sources, FRSC get first 15companies as the accredited vendors in Nigeria market, none of them has been able to do installation. few them are importing speed limiters to Nigeria yet.

personally i think this wont be serious. It may eventually be replaced by an official enforcement of civil behavior

anyway, see our speed limter as the photos. smiley smiley smiley smiley

you are welcome to discuss and sharing us information you know.
my contact is :guokai.w@c2stek.com
whatsapp:+8613560797997

Re: Transporters At War With FRSC On Speed Limit Device by obailala(m): 10:41am On Sep 21, 2015
All these transporters, are they complaining of the cost or are they complaining of the inability to speed as they like?

I'm in total support of speed limiters in our public transport vehicles, anything to reduce the frequency and magnitude of carnages on our roads is a welcome development.

1 Like

Re: Transporters At War With FRSC On Speed Limit Device by Bevista: 10:51am On Sep 21, 2015
obailala:
I'm in total support of speed limiters in our public transport vehicles, anything to reduce the frequency and magnitude of carnages on our roads is a welcome development.
It would be nice if they found a way of achieving that objective at very minimal or no cost to motorists. Except the objective is revenue generation.

2 Likes

Re: Transporters At War With FRSC On Speed Limit Device by bamosagie(m): 11:09am On Sep 21, 2015
obailala:
All these transporters, are they complaining of the cost or are they complaining of the inability to speed as they like?

Imagine travelling in a commercial vehicle (That is equipped with a functional speed limit device) and you run into insidious depredator (armed roobers or kidnappers or militants/terrorist). of course they wont be using a speed limit device as their vehicle wont be a commercial one. Now fill in the gap.

1 Like

Re: Transporters At War With FRSC On Speed Limit Device by obailala(m): 11:19am On Sep 21, 2015
bamosagie:

Imagine travelling in a commercial vehicle (That is equipped with a functional speed limit device) and you run into insidious depredator (armed roobers or kidnappers or militants/terrorist). of course they wont be using a speed limit device as their vehicle wont be a commercial one. Now fill in the gap.
When you weigh the whole situation, the cost and the benefit, you will understand we have fewer victims of armed robbery than victims of avoidable accidents.

The big question is, do you know how many lives are lost on our roads due to accidents caused by unnecessary speeds?

A simple case study is ABC transport which undoubtedly has the least cases of accidents compared to other major transport companies; do you know why?... It's because they limit the speed of all their vehicles to 80km/h. Now are you trying to tell me that ABC vehicles have more cases of being attacked by criminals than others?

1 Like

Re: Transporters At War With FRSC On Speed Limit Device by pafra(m): 11:18pm On Sep 21, 2015
the speed limit idea is a good one. the problem with it is in the price I feel is too expensive. this is what may slow the implementation of the whole process. the out cry of the public will draw the attention of the of the government which may want to review the process by postponing it
Re: Transporters At War With FRSC On Speed Limit Device by RainSABO: 7:56am On Jul 07, 2017
speed limiter is a good way to protect the transport safety and reduce the traffic accident. when there is traffic accident occur, it will destroy more than one family. we hope every one could drive at a safe speed, and create a safety environment.

Speed Limiter Manufacturer
SABO Electronic Technology
Add: Honghao Industry Zone, Xiayuan, Huangpu District, Guangzhou City, China.
Mob/Whatsapp: +86 13380019649
E-mail: info@sabo-speed.com

Re: Transporters At War With FRSC On Speed Limit Device by Jabioro: 8:07am On Jul 07, 2017
The advantage behind the speed limit tech are less than disadvantages.. the good are less than the bad side of it.. where's are the roads, the criminality,emergency ,then the financial bug and many others issues.. I am not in support of the tech..
Re: Transporters At War With FRSC On Speed Limit Device by EmeeNaka: 8:11am On Jul 07, 2017
Speed limiting device must be permanently installed on all Vehicles belonging to Dangote groups and Peace Mass Transit. They have wasted so many lives.
Re: Transporters At War With FRSC On Speed Limit Device by EmeeNaka: 8:14am On Jul 07, 2017
Jabioro:
The advantage behind the speed limit tech are less than disadvantages.. the good are less than the bad side of it.. where's are the roads, the criminality,emergency ,then the financial bug and many others issues.. I am not in support of the tech..
the advantages is bigger. 80km/hr is enough speed for drivers.
Re: Transporters At War With FRSC On Speed Limit Device by RainSABO: 9:46am On Sep 04, 2017
Road Speed Limiter manufacturer from SABO Electronic Factory. Any inquiry, welcome to contact us. Mobile/Whatsapp: +86 13380019649 E-mail info@sabo-speed.com

Re: Transporters At War With FRSC On Speed Limit Device by Joshuasaintiago: 11:00am On Sep 04, 2017
IS AN AVENUE TO SYPHON MONEY, my dear I tire, the worst is that it always expire every six months, what's the essence of road worthiness, if a car is not worthy must u pay before it is worthy, just corruption in high places, that's how road safety left their job and was seeking for guns, to use on who? road user, and Senate just passed speed limiter as if people who manufacture those cars are idiot, always making blind, policy, fix the road if u can't stop, collecting igr, road worthiness, THIEVES EVERYWHERE IN NIGERIA, I JUST LAUGH AT BUHARI HE HAS GOOD INTENTION BUST HIS BIGOTRY AND ILLITERACY CANT ALLOW HIM
Re: Transporters At War With FRSC On Speed Limit Device by aolawale025: 11:34am On Sep 04, 2017
#35000 is big money in Nigeria today. They should look for a way to make the installation less expensive

(1) (Reply)

Amaechi, Tam West, Odimegwu Makes Ministerial List / PDP Discovered NNPC GMD, Kachikwu - Olisa Metuh / how jonathan a biafra built amalgamation tower of biafra/north that cause war

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.