Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,414 members, 7,808,473 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:30 PM

The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala (85174 Views)

History: Arhuanran -the Giant Warrior Prince Of Benin Kingdom / AZIA Yam Festival 2017 In Ihiala Anambra State / Anambra Man Laments Killing Of Pythons [PHOTOS] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by nwadiuko1(m): 9:55am On Sep 01, 2015
free2ryhme:
what is the meaning of nweke?
means a person born on one of the market days.....that is eke
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by muscoliscious(f): 9:56am On Sep 01, 2015
Seems you are a passer by in ur own state .Idemili both north n south LGA does that and their neighbours like example Ogbunike respect their culture and won't kill it
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Emmanuel602(m): 9:56am On Sep 01, 2015
Ok i suppose those python pictures were taken from a zoo right?

1 Like

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by focus7: 9:57am On Sep 01, 2015
kennyjodeci:

Zoo girl....insulting Igbos on a thread like this is totally uncalled for...but expect this kinda zoo behavior from a zoo person living on a zoo country
I guess you miss fire. This story of the igbos living with pythons has clearly shown to all that igbo land is a zoo and the people from their are nothing but .......

1 Like

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by vaca1: 9:58am On Sep 01, 2015
really scary
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Nobody: 9:59am On Sep 01, 2015
focus7:
You won't know even if I tell you, but if you want me to show a proof try send your snake around and you will see how I butcher it to pieces. You know what, now I know why igbo people manifest snake spirit at deliverance.

Well big you a bigot, a common bigot cannot tell what he has achieved, maybe I can tell you what my father, a man has achieved in his 30+ in lagos as a semi literate.

My father came to Lagos when he was around 25 years, a young man with a vision to succeed. My father started hawking medicine from one hospital to another, from mainland to the island, smelling under hot scorching sun.
My father, saved enough to rent a face me house, there he continued to visit local hospitals where he sold syringes, Ivs and cotton wools, first aid materials.
My father at some point did cabu cabu to sustain himself.
My father married my mom at 30 and had 6 children.
My father due to years of experience who started from small hospital later started supplying for big hospitals in the island and ikoyi
My father trained all 6 of us, presently we are 4 graduates, all for from Federal universities while the remaiining two is coming out soon, both from federal university as well.
My father has built his own house in lagos and in the village
My father is still struggling at age 58.Hell he just sent money for the recent surgery I did, not because I asked but because he felt until I get married, he is still responsible for me.

Let me remind you that my brothers are not here ON NL lazying around.Two of them are into my father business already. Let me also remind you that both has bought their own lands too from this age long business of running under hot scorching sun, this time around with suit and tie the took up after seeing the gain it would fetch them than working or waiting for employment.

I also want to remind you that for over 30 years, he paid his tax.
I want to remind you also that in his warehouse he was robbed countless times by thieves , Omo niles. He didn't call the police, because most of the yoruba guys then, he knew their parents. He will complain, forgive and then come home to mourn his loss.

Now I ask again, what have you achieved even as a graduate with technology at his disposal. What have you achieved as an Omo nile? Because my father didn't get the little he can boast of today by sitting down and waiting for manners to fall from heaven. He learnt Yoruba language so very well that I have seen him fit in perfectly well with Alayes of lagos island. When they break bottle, he breaks his own bottle.

You know, when I see sone ignorant folks make jest of igbos who sell lacasera and petty things on the streets, I just laugh. Because I am a product of such struggle. My father did that. My father, as an igbo man isn't a lazy man. My father is more than a man, he is a warrior. He has achieved what most graduates can never achieve in 50 years! The experience I learnt from being the daughter of an igbo man is exactly what I can't get in the university, be it in the north west or in the East. As woman, I carried cartoon of syrings, as a woman I supplied drugs to hospitals, just like my father.You as a guy can never compete with me when it comes to business. I will best you even when I am seriously sick.

Again, I ask did you start from scratch to get to where you are today?

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:00am On Sep 01, 2015
[size=38pt]NICE CULTURE AND RELIGION!

TEACHES GOOD VALUES LYK RESPECT WOMEN AND DONT HARM ANIMALS.

FVCK THAT DEAD MAN JESUS AND ALL THOSE BAS.TARD SLAVE-BORN XTIANS WHO COMENTED RUBBISH AGAINST OUR CULTURE ABOVE[/size]

3 Likes

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:01am On Sep 01, 2015
kraftykc:

A python will almost never be able to eat a normal sized 10 year old talk less of grown people. Also, please don't take that biblical story literally, you are bound to be made stupid by it.

true. fvck jesus. dirty jewish superstitions.
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:02am On Sep 01, 2015
NnamdiN:
ojoto obofia. It's sacred in my place even though I don't care about it. We don't harm or kill it, we don't worship it either. It's just culture and somehow the animals are aware,those things crawl freely without fear.
The abaliki guys that eat it might be doing it discreetly. It's not everywhere in anambra though, I've heard it's a delicacy in other parts of anambra. I know with time, most of these traditions would fade.

Do you know ojoto very well?

it wont fade. that dirty christianity u ppl profess will fade just lyk it has faded in London.

Nigeria must progress!
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by vaca1: 10:03am On Sep 01, 2015
focus7:
Funny!! If an Umuohi woman is maltreated a phython appears in the house, the igbos better warn their eke not to appear in a Lagos compound, I swear it will be killed and be served as pepper soup. So primitive set of people going everywhere to make noise how they developed Lagos, Abuja and Kano while they lives with pythons in their village.

so childish. port to politics section where you can heap your insults.

7 Likes

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by CashVessel(m): 10:03am On Sep 01, 2015
NigAmbassador:
Such culture is found only in Amambra state. In my igbo community, we murder such evil creatures... #war_mood

That's not true. It is found in other parts of the country; in some parts of Imo (Umuagwo) the eke is respected. Some other communities honour different animals: Eguana in Orogun and Usiefrun of Delta states, Lion in Umuagu of Imo state etc.
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Nobody: 10:03am On Sep 01, 2015
thekingsmen:
Its rampant all through Orsu- Oru- Orlu- Isu- Njaba all in imo... so get ur facts right before spewing ignorance

Fixed ...we do no such thing

1 Like

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:04am On Sep 01, 2015
Orikinla:
[size=28pt]Let us pray.
We must never idolize or worship man made deities or gods. [/size]

[size=28pt]Let us pray.
We must never idolize or worship dead jew lyk jesus and his LovePeddler mary magralene. fvcking basta.rd! [/size]
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Nobody: 10:05am On Sep 01, 2015
EggovinMma:

Yes, thank you.I think oba is the Onitcha Imo way.
Aba is the Onitcha awka way.
My village is around the later. cheesy
I think it's Abba not Aba.
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:06am On Sep 01, 2015
wiseoneking:
ALL THIS PYTHON THING IS JUST IN LESS THAN 2% COMMUNITIES OF THE WHOLE OF IGBO LAND. IT IS NEITHER IN IMO, ENUGU,ABIA, EBONYI. IT IS JUST IN ANAMBRA AND MAJORLY IN TWO LOCAL GOVT OF IDEMILI AND IHIALA. THEY NEED TO DESTROY THAT FETISH CONVENANT.

They need to destroy your fvking dead jew called jesus and his idols littered across Nigeria. dumbarse slave !
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by focus7: 10:06am On Sep 01, 2015
Luckygurl:

Ignorance is not a good thing...
You are right, I suggest guys needs screening equipment to screen girls from the south east lest they carry the one with python spirit.
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by CashVessel(m): 10:06am On Sep 01, 2015
PAGAN9JA:
[size=38pt]NICE CULTURE AND RELIGION!

TEACHES GOOD VALUES LYK RESPECT WOMEN AND DONT HARM ANIMALS.

FVCK THAT DEAD MAN JESUS AND ALL THOSE BAS.TARD SLAVE-BORN XTIANS WHO COMENTED RUBBISH AGAINST OUR CULTURE ABOVE[/size]

You strike me as an slowpoke. What needs is there to insult Jesus or Christians, are you the custodian of the culture, don't we all have similar cultures?
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by nwadiuko1(m): 10:07am On Sep 01, 2015
free2ryhme:

is there any relations with the eke mentioned in this op thread
no.....dia r different pronunciations for eke (market day) and eke ( python)
Note the word eke can mean different things in igboland depending on how you pronounce it.....I.e stress pattern

Eg in some parts of Abia and Imo eke can mean God the creator
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by scholes0(m): 10:08am On Sep 01, 2015
PAGAN9JA:

[size=28pt]Let us pray.
We must never idolize or worship dead jew lyk jesus and his LovePeddler mary magralene. fvcking basta.rd! [/size]

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin
grin grin
grin

Laugh wan tear my belle ooo!! hhahahahaha
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Nobody: 10:08am On Sep 01, 2015
LadyFiona:
I think it's Abba not Aba.

Yes, Abba. smiley
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by uche77zero(m): 10:09am On Sep 01, 2015
BabyDaddy20:
Sorry.
We don't practice such culture in Anambra state.
It is quite obvious that you don't travel home, what yoruba name has your neighbours given you.
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Ephemmm: 10:09am On Sep 01, 2015
kennyjodeci:

[s]Zoo girl....insulting Igbos on a thread like this is totally uncalled for...but expect this kinda zoo behavior from a zoo person living on a zoo country
[/s]

Na so you go talk: if na another tribe, you could have started having orgasm on this post saying they are so fetish.

1 Like

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:10am On Sep 01, 2015
wacoj:

I schooled in Anambra state and i know that this nonsense culture is VERY pronounced there.
Go to a place like NIBO or NISE in Awka south LGA, they practice same culture.
The funny thing is that they are also scared of going close to eke when they see one.
I once challenged a native of the town to touch it if it doesn't bite.
My fellow students once killed a very giant eke at night and NO shit happened.

I am from Abia state and we kill anything called snake. They are evil.

YOU KNOW WHATS NONENSE CULTURE

WHEN FVCKING NEGRO SLAVES LYK YOU WORSHIP IDOLS OF DEAD JEWS LYK JESUS IN UR SHED AND DISPLAY YOUR HYPOCRISY HERE. WHEN PASTORS RAPE YOUNG KIDS IN CHURCH. AND RUN A MONEY RACKET IN THE NAME OF THEIR DEAD god. WHEN PPL SPEAK LYK MENTAL PATIENTS IN SO-CALLED TONGUES IN CHURCH .

AND YOU KNOW WHATS GOOD CULTURE? WHEN BOKO HARAM DESTROYS AND BOMBS YOUR DIRTY FETISH CHURCHES IN THE NORTH.

2 Likes

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Luckylife(m): 10:11am On Sep 01, 2015
BabyDaddy20:
Sorry.
We don't practice such culture in Anambra state.
Speak for ur village. Some have expunge a lot of their culture because they have found the true GOD through our LORD JESUS CHRIST.
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by anigold(m): 10:12am On Sep 01, 2015
The snakes look beautiful and lovely until when you witness these monsters on NAGEO WILD about to swallow a full grown deer....

1 Like

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:12am On Sep 01, 2015
Evaromantik:
Anambra is the craddle of Igbo civilisation,so as the first child,we ought to keep such unbloody cultures to ensure our cultures before the arrival of the whiteman doesn't die away so justly......we Igbos have know who God is,b4 the arrival of Bekee

VERY GOOD BROTHER.

WE ARE SOON GOING TO START A MISSION TO SPREAD ODINANI IN IGBOLAND. WE NEED THE LIKES OF YOU TO THROW AWAY MANWORSHIP (CHRISTIANITY) OUT OF IGBOLAND.

3 Likes

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Osyxcel(m): 10:12am On Sep 01, 2015
softysparky:

Don't try me oooo.
Happy new month.

No worry, ah go carry my black mamba come visit you. undecided
HNM to you too. smiley
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:13am On Sep 01, 2015
Luckylife:
Speak for ur village. Some have expunge a lot of their culture because they have found the true GOD through our LORD JESUS CHRIST.

jesSUS Is a DEAD god. an idol of the jews. a fvcked up man who died the death of a traitor.
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by vitality22(m): 10:14am On Sep 01, 2015
Rapmoney:
In many places in Igboland, the python is regarded as a ‘sacred being’ which no one is expected to kill, harm or maltreat. It is an age-long observance because to most Igbo communities, Eke or python is seen as the symbol of the sea or river goddess. It protects and provides for the people, both in terms of wealth, fertility and long life. To the people, eke is a harmless ‘being’ and it is actually harmless to those who do not kill it. To them, eke symbolises peace, prosperity and abundance, especially in the waters.

At Umuohi, Okija, in Ihiala local government area of Anambra state, a man called Ukata Nnanna in an interview gave a clearer picture of why the eke has come to be regarded as being so sacred and in some places is worshipped as a goddess.

"The story of eke we have here is sacred and different. But before we go on, it is good to point out that the mystery surrounding eke is greater than most of us can actually understand. Our own case is quite peculiar. In the olden days, our people used to provide shelter for strangers. This was how the issue of eke became a symbol of respect and regards here in our village", Nnanna said, grinning and shaking his head repeatedly.

"There was one certain aged widow who was said to have been driven away by her husband people. She set out on a journey, a journey she did not know where it would take her. When she got to Umuohi, Okija, she stopped and begged our people to provide a place for her to rest her feet. She was by then too tired to continue on her way.

"Our people did not only give her a place to settle down, she was also asked to remain with us. Without knowing it, our people had given shelter and hope to a woman with plenty of mysterious powers. Before the woman died she made a lot of promises to our people. In the first place she asked that her house be built by the riverside. No one knew why she made that sort of request. But then at her death she decreed that no Umuohi woman should be maltreated by her husband people. And wherever she is married to, on the first night of her arrival, a python would appear to encourage and strengthen her. To date, this situation still exists; that once an Umuohi woman is being threatened at her husband’s place, a python appears, sometimes a very big one that would frighten people out of their wits. For this reason, a lot of people are sceptical about marrying an Umuohi woman.

"The woman did not even die. She turned into eke. She lives inside the Okpu stream or if you like river, which is along Owerri-Onitsha road, Anambra state. There you can see this big python and it comes out once the sun is out to suntan. This is what it does everyday. It is so huge that a lot of people are scared of it," Nnanna stressed. "But we the Umuohi people are not," he boasted.

The python which is called eke ogwugwu-mili therefore is said to be the mother of all the pythons that litter the length and breath of Igboland. Today, anyone who kills or maims eke either knowingly or unknowingly is compelled to buy all the necessary materials with which to bury it. These range from white cloth, to coffin, kola nuts, white chalk and so on. The coffin would be placed in a conspicuous place where passers-by are wont to pay condolences and show some sign of remorse. Where one fails to bury the eke in the traditional way, more stringent punishments will be placed on him and members of his family. Sometimes he would be ostracised or banished from the land depending on the circumstances of the death of the python. Some even have small pox sickness placed on them.

It is because of all these that eke does not bite the natives of Okija and other places where these observances are made. If eke bites one by error, all it does is to hiss, and then the bite will have no effect on the person. Even then, Christians also obey the law; they too do not kill eke. Why would anyone kill it when it does not harm him? Some people would often ask. Eke is a common sight in many places in Igboland where they are at liberty to crawl without let or hindrance. There is the eke Idemili (for Idemili, river). There is also eke Ogba which is supposed to be the king of all the pythons. That one lives inside huge forests and so has no contact with human civilization.

Each area gives the eke a name according to what it does for them and the deity it represents. For some, it is eke atamili’ or eke nkwo ocha, all in the name of what place it has in their communal lifestyle and existence. Today at Umuohi, Okija, eke still remains their symbol, some kind of rallying point. And you are not expected to treat their daughters with disdain and disrespect.

http://www.thenationonlineng.net/archive2/tblnews_Detail.php?id=26454
Hmmmm, that's my home town. I always get really scared when these snake comes visiting my late grand mother. The snake comes and rest most times on the ceiling of her mud house. When she notice that we are afraid, she just keeps saying in Igbo language "Eke, look at Christians ooo, they are coming" after saying that the snake slowly comes down and crawl away. Because of the snake, I hardly enter her house whenever my dad takes us to the village on holidays then. Mehn, those snakes are really really huge.
Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by Nobody: 10:14am On Sep 01, 2015
These pythons are sacred, it's high time you guys stop posting pictures of them here. They are harmless and are free to go wherever they want within the confines of the town.

1 Like

Re: The Giant Pythons Of Ihiala by CUM4WHAT(m): 10:14am On Sep 01, 2015
EggovinMma:

Well big you a bigot, a common bigot cannot tell what he has achieved, maybe I can tell you what my father, a man has achieved in his 30+ in lagos as a semi literate.

My father came to Lagos when he was around 25 years, a young man with a vision to succeed. My father started hawking medicine from one hospital to another, from mainland to the island, smelling under hot scorching sun.
My father, saved enough to rent a face me house, there he continued to visit local hospitals where he sold syringes, Ivs and cotton wools, first aid materials.
My father at some point did cabu cabu to sustain himself.
My father married my mom at 30 and had 6 children.
My father due to years of experience who started from small hospital later started supplying for big hospitals in the island and ikoyi
My father trained all 6 of us, presently we are 4 graduates, all for from Federal universities while the remaiining two is coming out soon, both from federal university as well.
My father has built his own house in lagos and in the village
My father is still struggling at age 58.Hell he just sent money for the recent surgery I did, not because I asked but because he felt until I get married, he is still responsible for me.

Let me remind you that my brothers are not here ON NL lazying around.Two of them are into my father business already. Let me also remind you that both has bought their own lands too from this age long business of running under hot scorching sun, this time around with suit and tie the took up after seeing the gain it would fetch them than working or waiting for employment.

I also want to remind you that for over 30 years, he paid his tax.
I want to remind you also that in his warehouse he was robbed countless times by thieves , Omo niles. He didn't call the police, because most of the yoruba guys then, he knew their parents. He will complain, forgive and then come home to mourn his loss.

Now I ask again, what have you achieved even as a graduate with technology at his disposal. What have you achieved as an Omo nile? Because my father didn't get the little he can boast of today by sitting down and waiting for manners to fall from heaven. He learnt Yoruba language so very well that I have seen him fit in perfectly well with Alayes of lagos island. When they break bottle, he breaks his own bottle.

Again, I ask did you start from scratch to get to where you are today?
u are a sthupid god4sakin barstard for publishn ur dads history. Foolishneess runs in ur vain.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Virgins Initiated Into Womanhood At Okrika Market Yesterday / Alaafin Adeyemi And His New Wife, Chioma (Photo) / The 5 Most Powerful Traditional Rulers In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.