Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,192 members, 7,780,323 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 12:28 PM

Do You Agree Or Disagree With Euthanasia Or Mercy Killing? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Do You Agree Or Disagree With Euthanasia Or Mercy Killing? (6420 Views)

Senators Disagree On Offa Bank Robbery / Bukola Saraki Disagree With Army On IPOB / Why I Disagree With The Attorney General Of The Federation On Kogi-john Aruoture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Agree Or Disagree With Euthanasia Or Mercy Killing? by Nobody: 1:29pm On Sep 02, 2015
[b]Euthanasia is the deliberate advancement of a person's death for the benefit of that person. In most cases euthanasia is carried out because the person asks to die, but there are cases where a person can't make such a request.
A person who undergoes euthanasia is usually terminally ill.Euthanasia can be carried out either by doing something, such as administering a lethal injection, or by not doing something necessary to keep the person alive (for example failing to keep their feeding tube going).

In my opinion it's not moral to kill a person but this is a logical and moral exemption, but there are people that disagree. These are my reasons...

* It relieves suffering
If a terminal patient faces a long, slow, painful death, surely it is much kinder to spare them this kind of suffering and allow them to end their life comfortably. Pain medications used to allieviate symptoms often have unpleasant side effects or may leave the patient in a state of sedation. It is not as if they are really ‘living’ during this time; they are merely waiting to die. They should have the right to avoid this kind of torturous existence and be allowed to die in a humane way.

*Appeal to "naturalism" is a very bad argument. We take medical pills, we put up an umbrella to avoid having rain fall on us, we try to not live in a tribal manner like our ancestors where we deem ourselves to live a civilized life where we do not simply kill eachother and rape eachother because its the "natural conclusion" of our actions. Suffering may a part of the human condition and it can be argued to be useful in preventing us from self-destructive habits, physical dismemberment or physiological damage due to negligence of the body, etc. However, does that justify that we ought to endure a pointless pain just because it must be part of life's experience? Just because life is unfair doesn't mean we should start treating others unfairly, or just because sex is a part of the human experience, that we have an obligation to perform intercourse. Also, if an argument of biological existence is made, then why is it limited to humans in the treatment of this manner? What is the difference between existence and living? Do people want to live in a state where they cannot progress, breathe, talk, hear, see, suffer from paralysis and slowly die? People do want to live, and merely existing is not enough. If we just had to exist, then why do we need a spectrum of other human experiences? Why do not we just limit ourselves to sleep, eat, reproduce, etc? There is more to life than existing in such a state.

*Relatives spared the agony of watching their loved ones deteriorate beyond recognition
A person dying from cancer feels weak; exhausted and loses the will to fight. Muscles waste away, appearance changes and the patient starts to look older. A cancer patient becomes confused, no longer recognising family and friends. Motor neurone disease causes the sufferer to lose mobility in the limbs, having difficulty with speech, swallowing and breathing. Those suffering with Huntington’s Disease develop symptoms of dementia, such as loss of rational thought and poor concentration. Involuntary movements, difficulties with speaking and swallowing, weight loss, depression and anxiety may also occur. Families of individuals suffering with such diseases see their bright, happy relative reduced to a shadow of their former self. Their loved one suffers a slow and painful death. Surely, it is kinder to put a mother, father, brother or sister out of their misery and allow them to die a peaceful death, as is their last wish.

* It reduces the spread of diseases
When a person is sick, there a chance that a contagious agent exists within the host. The longer the duration that the individual is kept alive, it may increase the risk of others being affected by the disease if the individual is not handled properly.

*It removes the economic burden from relatives
[/b]

So what do you think? Is it right or wrong or you are indifferent about it?

http://debatewise.org/debates/861-do-you-agree-or-disagree-with-euthanasia-or-mercy-killing/
Re: Do You Agree Or Disagree With Euthanasia Or Mercy Killing? by chukzey442(m): 1:42pm On Sep 02, 2015
With God all things are possible, in as much as your arguments are true and logical, I still think nature should take it's course.
Re: Do You Agree Or Disagree With Euthanasia Or Mercy Killing? by Nobody: 1:51pm On Sep 02, 2015
chukzey442:
With God all things are possible, in as much as your arguments are true and logical, I still think nature should take it's course.
Noted.... Some people ask for it tho.... What do you think in that case?
Re: Do You Agree Or Disagree With Euthanasia Or Mercy Killing? by Nobody: 2:15pm On Sep 02, 2015
It depends
Re: Do You Agree Or Disagree With Euthanasia Or Mercy Killing? by destino24(m): 2:28pm On Sep 02, 2015
cry
A very complex question.
logically, it's OK. Morally, not too OK.
Besides, the potential for abuse must also be considered, and that could be very disastrous.
Re: Do You Agree Or Disagree With Euthanasia Or Mercy Killing? by Nobody: 3:13pm On Sep 02, 2015
shokky24:
It depends
On what?
Re: Do You Agree Or Disagree With Euthanasia Or Mercy Killing? by Nobody: 3:14pm On Sep 02, 2015
destino24:
cry
A very complex question.
logically, it's OK. Morally, not too OK.
Besides, the potential for abuse must also be considered, and that could be very disastrous.
Morality is judged by who and what?
Re: Do You Agree Or Disagree With Euthanasia Or Mercy Killing? by destino24(m): 3:23pm On Sep 02, 2015
Freemanan:
Morality is judged by who and what?
that's why it's a complex question
Re: Do You Agree Or Disagree With Euthanasia Or Mercy Killing? by chukzey442(m): 3:47pm On Sep 02, 2015
Freemanan:

Noted.... Some people ask for it tho.... What do you think in that case?

Well in that case, their dying wish should be granted. I honestly don't know if this is acceptable in the Christian doctrine. # issues of life and existence are so much complicated #
Re: Do You Agree Or Disagree With Euthanasia Or Mercy Killing? by Nobody: 3:59pm On Sep 02, 2015
chukzey442:

Well in that case, their dying wish should be granted. I honestly don't know if this is acceptable in the Christian doctrine. # issues of life and existence are so much complicated #
I guess so. It's not always easy for the family members to grant such wish even... A caring wife might not...
Re: Do You Agree Or Disagree With Euthanasia Or Mercy Killing? by chukzey442(m): 4:01pm On Sep 02, 2015
Freemanan:

I guess so. It's not always easy for the family members to grant such wish even... A caring wife might not...

That's true
Re: Do You Agree Or Disagree With Euthanasia Or Mercy Killing? by Viktor1983(m): 11:10pm On Sep 02, 2015
I remember a ghastly auto accident in the past ,There was this dude that was cut into two by a huge truck.
All that was on my mind was who would be kind enough to relieve him from the pains and suffering.
Re: Do You Agree Or Disagree With Euthanasia Or Mercy Killing? by cbravo3: 8:34am On Apr 19, 2017

(1) (Reply)

The 2016 Prophecies, By Rev. Gabriel Israel, President Of NEWLIFE WORD CHURCH / A Little View Of Sango Ota Ogun State / Sugar Mummy/daddy Hookup

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.