Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,998 members, 7,806,898 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:38 AM

My Mercedes Takes too Long To Get Warm in The Morning - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Mercedes Takes too Long To Get Warm in The Morning (1854 Views)

Engine Takes Too Long To Crank / My Mercedes Benz CLS 500 Wont Change Gear From Gear 1 / Help! My Audi A4 Takes Too Much Fuel!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Mercedes Takes too Long To Get Warm in The Morning by MrPristine: 9:14am On Sep 03, 2015
Car gurus in the house I will appreciate your advice on this problem I am having with my car. I drive an E240 211 model, of recent it takes a long time for it to get warm in the morning and as such it drives sluggishly until it gets warm. What can the problem be and what is the likely solution? I already took it for a scan but the scanner could not read the engine.
Re: My Mercedes Takes too Long To Get Warm in The Morning by amnesty7: 9:17am On Sep 03, 2015
I hope the charlatans did not remove your thermostat.
Re: My Mercedes Takes too Long To Get Warm in The Morning by MrPristine: 2:54pm On Sep 03, 2015
amnesty7:
I hope the charlatans did not remove your thermostat.

No my thermostat was not removed, though had it changed recently due to the fact that the car started over heating when the AC is on. The problem about the car not warming on time has been on before the over heating issue though.
Re: My Mercedes Takes too Long To Get Warm in The Morning by oweniwe(m): 4:28am On Sep 04, 2015
^^ Are u sure d thermostat is still there? Cos Kazeem fit no replace am... you dey think say e dey inside.

But it's really there, hmmm... maybe it wasn't properly installed.
Re: My Mercedes Takes too Long To Get Warm in The Morning by Denn(m): 5:59am On Sep 04, 2015
How do you know the engine is not warm?

Did you use a thermometer, possibly the one on a scanner? What values are you comparing it with?

Or are you judging by the engine 'sound' ?

If by sound, it could mean a lot of things apart from temperature.
Re: My Mercedes Takes too Long To Get Warm in The Morning by MrPristine: 2:10pm On Sep 04, 2015
oweniwe:
^^ Are u sure d thermostat is still there? Cos Kazeem fit no replace am... you dey think say e dey inside.

But it's really there, hmmm... maybe it wasn't properly installed.

Thermostat is definitely there as it was changed in my presence. However as i said the problem started before i changed the thermostat and i changed it for an entirely different reason.
Re: My Mercedes Takes too Long To Get Warm in The Morning by MrPristine: 2:12pm On Sep 04, 2015
Denn:
How do you know the engine is not warm?

Did you use a thermometer, possibly the one on a scanner? What values are you comparing it with?

Or are you judging by the engine 'sound' ?

If by sound, it could mean a lot of things apart from temperature.

It only happens when the engine is still cool na, as in when i start the car first thing in the morning. After driving it a bit it becomes warm and the the drive becomes smooth.
Re: My Mercedes Takes too Long To Get Warm in The Morning by Denn(m): 3:49pm On Sep 04, 2015
MrPristine:

It only happens when the engine is still cool na, as in when i start the car first thing in the morning. After driving it a bit it becomes warm and the the drive becomes smooth.

I still maintain my question. How do you determine when the engine is warm?

When the possible misfire stops?
When the stuck throttle fully opens?
When the RPM drops?
When it no longer burns too rich?
When the carbon on the plugs burn off per chance?
When you hit that next pot hole and the loose spark plug wire adjusts?

Etc

You might think it is just the engine getting warm slowly, but we need to be sure

1 Like

Re: My Mercedes Takes too Long To Get Warm in The Morning by MrPristine: 4:14pm On Sep 04, 2015
Denn:

I still maintain my question. How do you determine when the engine is warm?

When the possible misfire stops?
When the stuck throttle fully opens?
When the RPM drops?
When it no longer burns too rich?
When the carbon on the plugs burn off per chance?
When you hit that next pot hole and the loose spark plug wire adjusts?

Etc

You might think it is just the engine getting warm slowly, but we need to be sure

The engine warms up about five to ten minutes after starting the engine, that's when the misfiring stops.
Re: My Mercedes Takes too Long To Get Warm in The Morning by mayor2013: 8:48pm On Sep 04, 2015
MrPristine:

The engine warms up about five to ten minutes after starting the engine, that's when the misfiring stops.

How do you know it takes time for it to warm up. If your thought is right. Then its either your thermostat is not there or was not properly installed cos the thermostat helps bring the engine to an optimum tempterature.perhaps your thermostat is stucked close
Re: My Mercedes Takes too Long To Get Warm in The Morning by cardoctor(m): 9:38pm On Sep 04, 2015
If your thermostat is still in place, then the only other possible reason my be that when you had the overheating issue, your mechanic/ electrician wired your radiator and aircon fans to work continuously bypassing the thermo switch. Its a common practice here in naija.

Is that the case?

If that's the case, then you have your car engine cooling immediately on start up thereby slowing down engine warm up time.

Car-doctor
Re: My Mercedes Takes too Long To Get Warm in The Morning by MrPristine: 5:26pm On Sep 06, 2015
cardoctor:
If your thermostat is still in place, then the only other possible reason my be that when you had the overheating issue, your mechanic/ electrician wired your radiator and aircon fans to work continuously bypassing the thermo switch. Its a common practice here in naija.

Is that the case?

If that's the case, then you have your car engine cooling immediately on start up thereby slowing down engine warm up time.

Car-doctor

Thanx for this, yes the fan is wired to work continuously but the problem is recent compared to the length of time it has been wired directly.
Re: My Mercedes Takes too Long To Get Warm in The Morning by abatically(m): 6:29pm On Sep 06, 2015
MrPristine:

Thanx for this, yes the fan is wired to work continuously but the problem is recent compared to the length of time it has been wired directly.

Then ur first step of diagnosis would be to revert the fans to the factory specs. If the problem persist then go to the next step.
Re: My Mercedes Takes too Long To Get Warm in The Morning by inze(m): 9:25pm On Sep 06, 2015
abatically:

Then ur first step of diagnosis would be to revert the fans to the factory specs. If the problem persist then go to the next step.

. . . i couldn't have said it any better
Re: My Mercedes Takes too Long To Get Warm in The Morning by MrPristine: 3:46pm On Sep 07, 2015
abatically:

Alright thanx but what is the next step after reverting to factory specs and the problem persists?

(1) (Reply)

Little Vibration From Right Front Wheel -- '05 EOD / . / Is It Ok Using A Minibus (Korope) As A Family Car?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.