Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:20 AM

Nneka's Chinese Inspired Meal - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Nneka's Chinese Inspired Meal (2332 Views)

Checkout This Nigerian Inspired Christmas Hamper (photo) Lol / Men Eating Wedding Meal From Packer (Photos) / One Dies, 20 Hospitalised After Meal At Traditional Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nneka's Chinese Inspired Meal by touchmeder: 10:21pm On Sep 03, 2015
I'm back again with another coconut milk inspired meal and now I know what you're thinking so let me just say ''NO'' I don’t go looking out for them like a bloodhound! I visited a friend and she was making it and so na so I jam coconut milk inspired meal again. I took pictures of the process and decided to share. I asked her for the name but she couldn’t tell me so I decided to name the food in her honour. It is 'Nneka's Chinese inspired meal'
Lets go there. You'll need

1. Chicken

2. Carrot (N100 should do)

3. Spring Onions (N50)

4. Sweet corn

5. Green peas (you can buy that small type that mallam tie and sell in small nylon - N100)

6. Salt

7. Black Pepper (while replicating this dish, I personally used the small green type used in making fried rice. I would advise you to skip our
regular atarodo for it will completely alter the subtle taste of the sauce)

8. Seasoning of your choice

9. Large Bell pepper (N50 - N100)

10. Cornstarch (3 to 4 tablespoons of cornstarch)

11. Sweet chilli and garlic stir fry sauce

12. Light soy sauce

13. Rice

14. 3 Eggs

15. Garlic

16. Curry powder (a teaspoon)

17. Thyme

18. Groundnut oil

19. Coconut milk

20. Onion
Re: Nneka's Chinese Inspired Meal by touchmeder: 10:23pm On Sep 03, 2015
Process

• Cook your white rice as normal but just before the water dries off, crack your eggs and stir. Then add a little salt into your cracked eggs and pour over the rice. Allow it firm up a bit. Now empty the sweetcorn from the can and drain. Divide the sweet corn into two. You will use one half for the rice and the other half for the sauce. After the egg goes into the rice, add one half of the sweet corn in as well.

• Now set aside once the egg is cooked and sweet corn goes in.

• Boil your chicken as you would normally do and when it is ready, set aside (my friend didn’t fry her chicken but if you want to fry or grill yours, feel free)

Re: Nneka's Chinese Inspired Meal by touchmeder: 10:25pm On Sep 03, 2015
• Now to the sauce. Pour groundnut oil (just a little, half a cooking spoon would do. Less for the more concious cooks) in a pot or pan. Allow to heat then add the diced onions, pepper, spring onions (please use half of your spring onions at this stage), garlic and toss around.

• Now add HALF of the diced carrot, bell pepper and allow to incorporate. Don’t put in the sweetcorn or green peas at this stage because you don’t want to overcook them. You should do this at the tail end. Next add the coconut milk (my friend used a full coconut and this meal served 4 people with left over sef)

Re: Nneka's Chinese Inspired Meal by touchmeder: 10:32pm On Sep 03, 2015
• Include your seasoning, salt, sweet chilli and soy sauce. If you love some more pepper now is the time to sprinkle more in. Don’t forget your curry and thyme.

• Add your chicken (my friend had already boiled her chicken a bit so she just tossed it in at this stage to allow the flavour seep in. If you'd rather fry your chicken you can do that but add it in at this point so the flavour seeps in)

• Allow the coconut milk simmer for about 2 to 3 minutes but keep watching it. Remember you have vegetables in it and it shouldn’t boil over or cook for too long. Just long enough to heat up a bit. You don’t even need to place a lid and walk away.

1 Like

Re: Nneka's Chinese Inspired Meal by touchmeder: 10:38pm On Sep 03, 2015
My friend used up the whole sachet of the sweet chilli and garlic sauce. She used about two table spoons of the soy sauce

Re: Nneka's Chinese Inspired Meal by touchmeder: 10:43pm On Sep 03, 2015
• Now place about 2 to 3 table spoon of cornstarch in a bowl and add small water to it. The idea is to thicken the sauce. Let your cornstarch and water mixture run a bit i.e. not too thick or too thin. Now pour into your pot and watch as the sauce thickens. There is no hard and fast rule here. If you feel your sauce is too thin after allowing it simmer a bit, you can add in another teaspoon of corn starch. Just ensure you mix it up with water first before throwing it into your cooking pot!

• Now is the time to add the rest of your vegetables which you saved. Add the remaining carrot, bell pepper, spring onions. Finally add the green peas and sweet corn. Saving half of your vegetables at the end allows the meal remain fresh and slightly crunchy. Leave for a minute or so then turn off.

Re: Nneka's Chinese Inspired Meal by touchmeder: 10:45pm On Sep 03, 2015
• Serve with your egg rice like this.

1 Like

Re: Nneka's Chinese Inspired Meal by touchmeder: 10:46pm On Sep 03, 2015
I tell you this meal was the truth! cheesy grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nneka's Chinese Inspired Meal by Annichi: 1:23am On Sep 04, 2015
touchmeder:
• Include your seasoning, salt, sweet chilli and soy sauce. If you love some more pepper now is the time to sprinkle more in. Don’t forget your curry and thyme. Thank dear will try it on sunday

• Add your chicken (my friend had already boiled her chicken a bit so she just tossed it in at this stage to allow the flavour seep in. If you'd rather fry your chicken you can do that but add it in at this point so the flavour seeps in)

• Allow the coconut milk simmer for about 2 to 3 minutes but keep watching it. Remember you have vegetables in it and it shouldn’t boil over or cook for too long. Just long enough to heat up a bit. You don’t even need to place a lid and walk away.

1 Like

Re: Nneka's Chinese Inspired Meal by okirewaju(f): 8:09am On Sep 04, 2015
Tempting but i"m not a fan of eggs.

Looks really good i must say
Re: Nneka's Chinese Inspired Meal by starbuck(f): 2:31pm On Sep 04, 2015
Salivating
Re: Nneka's Chinese Inspired Meal by prettyJoy22(f): 9:38pm On Sep 04, 2015
Wow looks yummy
Re: Nneka's Chinese Inspired Meal by touchmeder: 9:44pm On Sep 04, 2015
okirewaju:
Tempting but i"m not a fan of eggs.

Looks really good i must say

You can skip the eggs and just make it plain white rice. There is no hard and fast rule to it.
Re: Nneka's Chinese Inspired Meal by okirewaju(f): 11:17am On Sep 05, 2015
touchmeder:

You can skip the eggs and just make it plain white rice. There is no hard and fast rule to it.
Oh i see

That will work then.
Re: Nneka's Chinese Inspired Meal by rofemiguwa(f): 12:52pm On Sep 13, 2015
Made this today. Hope my People like it. Will give u feed back.
TAnk u for d recippe

touchmeder:
I'm back again with another coconut milk inspired meal and now I know what you're thinking so let me just say ''NO'' I don’t go looking out for them like a bloodhound! I visited a friend and she was making it and so na so I jam coconut milk inspired meal again. I took pictures of the process and decided to share. I asked her for the name but she couldn’t tell me so I decided to name the food in her honour. It is 'Nneka's Chinese inspired meal'
Lets go there. You'll need

1. Chicken

2. Carrot (N100 should do)

3. Spring Onions (N50)

4. Sweet corn

5. Green peas (you can buy that small type that mallam tie and sell in small nylon - N100)

6. Salt

7. Black Pepper (while replicating this dish, I personally used the small green type used in making fried rice. I would advise you to skip our
regular atarodo for it will completely alter the subtle taste of the sauce)

8. Seasoning of your choice

9. Large Bell pepper (N50 - N100)

10. Cornstarch (3 to 4 tablespoons of cornstarch)

11. Sweet chilli and garlic stir fry sauce

12. Light soy sauce

13. Rice

14. 3 Eggs

15. Garlic

16. Curry powder (a teaspoon)

17. Thyme

18. Groundnut oil

19. Coconut milk

20. Onion
Re: Nneka's Chinese Inspired Meal by touchmeder: 7:24am On Sep 16, 2015
rofemiguwa:
Made this today. Hope my People like it. Will give u feed back.
TAnk u for d recippe

Just seeing this. How did it go?
Re: Nneka's Chinese Inspired Meal by cescky(m): 7:42am On Sep 17, 2015
touchmeder:

Just seeing this. How did it go?

Ur meal looks good..

But pls what's soy sauce? And from where can one buy?
Re: Nneka's Chinese Inspired Meal by Nobody: 8:20am On Sep 17, 2015
Inspired! I'll try this soon

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Kebbi State, A Place Where Donkey Meat Thrives (photos) / Ofe Owerre / Beef, Chicken, Turkey, Fish, Pork, Snail. Which Is Most Preferable In Diets?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.