Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,572 members, 7,809,087 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:45 PM

Does being an Atheist/Skeptic make you feel any less of a Nigerian? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does being an Atheist/Skeptic make you feel any less of a Nigerian? (853 Views)

The Skeptic's Guide To Tongues And Prophecy / Skeptic Mouth Stoppers / The Skeptic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does being an Atheist/Skeptic make you feel any less of a Nigerian? by BloodShed1: 11:41am On Apr 04, 2009
Does being an Atheist/Skeptic make you feel any less of a Nigerian?

I mean, I've been here since August and I always feel out of place because many aspects of Ngierian culture revolve around superstition, religion and just pure ignorance.
In England I enjoy my freedom to say whatever I like regarding religion and people tend to think more rational over there. But I feel like I have to take a backwards step in order to fit into the society here.

Another thing just hit me. I know many Nigerian Atheists hide it from their families, the same Nigerian families who always preach about the importance of love and family and blah blah blah, but once they find out you're an Atheist then all of a sudden family dont mean shit. I know alot of Nigerian Atheists who's parents or family memers dont speak to them because of their lack of belief. Its messed up.

I plan to go to my village before my service ends but I wonder how people will feel once they find out I'm an Atheist since word goes around like that and I dont plan to hide it from family. I rememer when an uncle was stressing to me how important it is for me to go and I agree, but I wonder if they'll even talk to me if they somehow find out I'm an Atheist. And I aint pretending for nobody. Maybe I'm blowing it out of proportion but people in the village just act stupid when it comes to this stuff.
Re: Does being an Atheist/Skeptic make you feel any less of a Nigerian? by mazaje(m): 4:59pm On Apr 04, 2009
Blood_Shed:

Does being an Atheist/Skeptic make you feel any less of a Nigerian?

Yes it does nigerians do not accept atheist, better to be a christian, moslem or sango worshipper than to be an atheist but the problem is that every body is an atheist, christians are atheist when it comes to the islamic religion and moslems are atheist when it comes to the christian god, the two major religions despite not believing in each other also do not believe in other traditional religions out there.
Re: Does being an Atheist/Skeptic make you feel any less of a Nigerian? by Nobody: 1:54am On Apr 05, 2009
thou doth complain too much.
Re: Does being an Atheist/Skeptic make you feel any less of a Nigerian? by BloodShed1: 12:33pm On Apr 07, 2009
mazaje:

Yes it does nigerians do not accept atheist, better to be a christian, moslem or sango worshipper than to be an atheist but the problem is that every body is an atheist, christians are atheist when it comes to the islamic religion and moslems are atheist when it comes to the christian god, the two major religions despite not believing in each other also do not believe in other traditional religions out there.

That's true. We're all infidels, but their delusion fails to see the logic in that statement.

Superstition + African ignorance= BAD COMBINATION.
Re: Does being an Atheist/Skeptic make you feel any less of a Nigerian? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 1:46pm On Apr 07, 2009
We are One Famillia Brotha,mery meet cool
Re: Does being an Atheist/Skeptic make you feel any less of a Nigerian? by BloodShed1: 10:25am On Apr 08, 2009
Ogaga I thought you worshipped Satan lol?
Re: Does being an Atheist/Skeptic make you feel any less of a Nigerian? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 10:20am On Apr 10, 2009
Blood_shed,im an Atheist Satanist does really make the Different from the Leveyrian satana,Satanism have various category but all still in the name of "SATAN"-the dark force,i Ogaga is SATAN,the i am that i am!,dear understanding modern satanism would be so strange and worth difficult for some persons to grab real knowledge,Satan im whorshiping is me!,Satan im whorshiping is the X_identity i obey on me.
Blood_Shed:

Ogaga I thought you worshipped Satan lol?
Re: Does being an Atheist/Skeptic make you feel any less of a Nigerian? by BloodShed1: 10:18am On Apr 14, 2009
What the Bleep?

Atheism and Satanism are two different things. Atheism is to me just another word for reality.

Satan or other imaginary beings dont even come into the equation.

(1) (Reply)

This Earth Shall Melt With Fervent Heat / . / Dog

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.