Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,892 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:06 AM

Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? (62260 Views)

Poll: Do "mammy water" spirits actually exist?

No, it's a myth: 39% (55 votes)
Yes, it's reality: 60% (83 votes)
This poll has ended

Islamic Cleric Arrested Over 3-day Marathon Sex Deliverance From 'mammy Water' / Lady Narrates How She Was Mistaken For Mammy Water In Church Because She's Fair / Akudaya:myth Or Reality? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by redsun(m): 8:45am On Jun 03, 2007
@orinkinya,the fact that olukoya believe does not make it real,mermaid is an imaginary sea creature and it is not originally an african myth but english.Mermaid belief is just like belief in god,believe if it make sense to you.
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by MP007(m): 9:49am On Jun 03, 2007
if u see mami water oo.nnever ever u run away /, ehhh .never never u run away , ee , word up.
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by KAG: 2:33pm On Jun 03, 2007
Orikinla:

Believe it or not, they exist.

Evidence? Remember anecdotes aren't evidence.

How come those who are possessed by Mammy Water speak in strange tongues of Ison kingdom when they have never been there at all.

I had a girlfriend from Delta region in Nigeria who confessed that when she was delivered, her python left her. And the first time I wanted to make love to her, she was manifesting and I thought she was about to die.

I guess you're being cheeky here.

If God says evil spirits exist, who are we to doubt their existence?
Except you don't believe in God.

I don't believe in God, but still, I don't think believing in the Christian God means believing every superstitious rubbish and outlandish claim.

Have you not heard of Queen of the Coast.

Those who are ranting about science and all that jazz, go and ask Pastor Daniel Olukoya of the Mountain of Fire and Miracles who has a first class honours degree in Microbiology from the University of Lagos, Nigeria and a PhD in Molecular Genetics from the University of Reading, United Kingdom and has over 70 scientific publications to his credit.

Let's ignore the fallacy of appealing to authority and concentrate on what Dr. Olukoya has said about mermaids. What has he said? Does he have any evidence? And, shouldn't it be ignored in much the same way we should ignore spurious claims by other intelligent people?

My mother never lied to me, and I believed it when she told me how she saw a mermaid live in the river.

She either lied, was mistaken, or you're mistaken.

naijaking1:

Mammy water or memaid is a universal myth , and occurs in all cultures.
No be only naija get their own version.
From South America to the Indian sub-continent to Nordic nations.
Ever heard of the Scottish Lockness monter?

Mermaids don't occur in all culture, but, yes, they do occur in many cultures. The Lochness monster is not a mermaid.

redsun:

@orinkinya,the fact that olukoya believe does not make it real,mermaid is an imaginary sea creature and it is not originally an african myth but english.Mermaid belief is just like belief in god,believe if it make sense to you.

I disagree. There's no reason to believe that the belief in the existence of mermaids originated with the English. Like other myths and archetypes, believing mermaids exist is not necessarily the invention of one region or culture.
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by nguage(m): 3:57am On Jun 04, 2007
did u guys see the loch-ness? why cant mammy water be real?
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by thesilent1(m): 7:02am On Jun 04, 2007
the loch-ness

as in the loch itself or the documentary confirming all loch ness stories as hoaxes?
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by bennnie(m): 7:41am On Jun 04, 2007
I DONT THINK MERMAIDS ACTUALLY EXISTS BECAUSE THE BIBLE NEVER MENTIONED ANYTHING ABOUT THEM.SOME MONTHS AGO A NEWS WAS CIRCULATED ON THE INTERNET THAT A DEAD MERMAID WAS WASHED ASHORE AFTER THE TSUNAMIS IN ASIA ON AN ISLAND IN CHENNAI.INVESTIGATIONS WERE CARRIED OUT ON THE CORPSE AND IT WAS LATER DISCOVERED THAT SOME PEOPLE HAD ACTUALLY PUT TOGETHER TAT PARTICULAR MERMAID USING THE SKULL OF A MONKEY AND THE LOWER PART OF A BIG FISH.I JUST FEEL MERMAIDS EXISTS ONLY IN MYTHS AND STORIES.ANOTHER ANGLE TO THIS IS THAT STORIES ABOUT MERMAIDS WERE FIRST CIRCULATED BY SEX-STARVED SAILORS WHO HAD BEEN AT SEA FOR A LONG TIME AND BEGAN TO SEE MIRAGES OF BEAUTIFUL WOMEN SWIMMING ON THE HIGH SEA .SO YOU SEE ,MERMAIDS DONT REALLY EXIST
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Jun 04, 2007
@ EVERYONE.
the greatest mistake most people make on this issue is that, they tend to confuse water sprites (mammy water) with marine spirit that people get possessed with.

water sprites are clearly diferent from the so-called possessive marine spirit.Water sprites are one of the numerous creatures that developed from the ray power of the ALMIGHTY.While Marine spirits are demons and phantoms that was formed and being sustained by the evil thoughts of the human spirits.

The task of the water sprites is just to take care of the creatures that are found in vicinity of the water elements, while the so-called marine-spirits (which is not even spiritual at all) but demonic only affect those that the evil thoughts are directed at, only if they can find a suitable environment to be able to work without any form of hindrance.

Thats the simple reason we must keep the hearth of our thoughts pure, by so doing we would bring peace and be happy, and no evil thought will have a firm hold on us.

SO EVERYONE, WATER SPRITES ARE NOT HAMRFUL CREATURES BUT HELPFUL BEINGS THAT WORK UNCEASINGLY FOR THE ALMIGHTY FATHER.

1 Like

Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by Qby: 3:42pm On Jun 04, 2007
Because we dont see things dont mean they dont exist. Some people see things that others dont see, either as a gift(sprirtual) or as delusion(psychos, madness). Some are opportuned to see things in unison for a purpose(proof) even though others may not believe them.

The bible records we wrestle not against flesh and blood but principalities and powers, there is a possiblity that mermaids are not flesh and blood tho they look real physical to those that see them, just like demons look and smell real to those that see them.

in my opinion, if u've ever seen a mermaid, u have special gifts or u r bunkers, if its the earlier, develop them, u may have more spirituality than u know, if u r bunkers, see a doctor!!

as for me, i'd rather remain ignorant of whether they are real or not. at least, i'll enjoy all my beach parties and not worry dt some kuchiras are watching

@pictures, gross!
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by mrmayor(m): 3:55pm On Jun 04, 2007
QTB,

Sometimes I see Sweet Music dude,all that colour,men! I just go with the flow after taking some ganja,beer and suya.kai where is my LSD,I will see Naomi Campbell in my bed tonight,boy o boy I go chop better thing tonight
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by omoge(f): 4:54pm On Jun 04, 2007
sometime last year, Oprah invited a couple with what they called 'mermaid baby' from i think south america. wow!! it was interesting to see this baby with mermaid like feet. there was no foot as both were joined to form what looked like a mermaid from waist down. it looked flappy too. the baby was brought to US for surgery. i was shocked. it looked like a baby mermaid and i saw why they called her that. i think they did the surgery to make her have feet.

during that show i was thinking maybe in the past and ages gone there were something like that and parents ended up throwing such baby away  undecided who ended up growing by the seaside/adapt to sea life. who knows if that was where the idea of mermaid came from.
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by Qby: 6:13pm On Jun 04, 2007
@mr mayor, the name is QBY

secondly, Naomi sha, u go try o. Try chop IYAN WITH HOT EFO ELEGUSI garnished with snails, goat meat and correct PANLA!!! grin and FIRE, FIRE, FIRE!!!
grin grin grin
u funny o abi make we try Louisa the mermaid!! dat one na easy pick, naomi too far!!
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by MsOlaolu(f): 11:26am On Jun 05, 2007
off couse they r real! im omo 9ja err om 9ja that went to boardin skool should know this. and mammy water is not on d same level as madam koikoi so dont get it twisted! they r 4 real esp all this hot girls wiv long hair nd mad skins and all that so boys wen u see those kinda girls dont think you chose them or that u have game because they gonna funk u up! 4 real tho! i know a couple of boys that have dated mammywater babes b4 and trust me its nothing nice ; shocked shocked
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by Mcbee(m): 7:01pm On Jun 05, 2007
It beats my mind why anyone will doubt the existence of water/marine spirits. Apart from coming [me] from a coastal state back in Nigeria, I've also handled different cases of folk who were directly or indirectly possessed by these spirits.
I wouldn't wanna get into details here because this might not be the right forum to discuss such spiritual matters. I know of a young Benue State Unversity student  who came all the way from Makurdi to attend a conference in Port Harcourt. The said girl, according to her confession was initiated into the marine cult at a tender age by her mother who was then a highly placed member of the marine kingdom. There were days she will physically transcend out of the human nature to live inside of the river Benue for days without anyone knowing  her whereabout except her wicked mother. On such occasions, everytime she came out, havocs were bound to be released upon her earthly targets [enemies].
I wasn't told about this, I actually witnessed her deliverance. I know what happened that day, there's no need going into details here. It was scary and dangerous.

While also in Nigeria. I' ve seen a young beautiful Port Hacourt girl who was possessed with a serpentic spirit [also marine spirit]. Her deliverance was another sight I wouldn't like to behold. She was actually spitting out like a Python snake, while crawling on the floor like a live snake. Yes, thank God she's free now and acting as one of the top stars in Nigerian movie industry, Nollywood.

But, I would like us to know there's a difference between the Marine spirits [Demons] from the Water Mermaid [water creatures] , though all of them are control by a terrestrial spirit known as the Water principality .

Please comrades, this is a very sensitive topic. Just because you have never seen them doesn't  mean they don't exist, yes they do. It is by His [God] mercies we are not consume.  If the Lord open your eyes to see what goes on in the marine world, then you will agree with me that God's protection is the reason we live.

Please , if you need any further clarification on this issue, feel free to check out my profile and drop me a line. Then we can exchange phone numbers. It will be very easy for folks who reside in the US and Canada,  Those from Nigeria   and other part of the World  are welcome too. Blessings.

1 Like

Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by ikamefa(f): 7:09pm On Jun 05, 2007
Mcbee:

Please , if you need any further clarification on this issue, feel free to check out my profile and drop me a line. Then we can exchange phone numbers. It will be very easy for folks who reside in the US and Canada, Those from Nigeria and other part of the World are welcome too. Blessings.

shuo! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

na wah oh! all c o s of mammy water? grin grin

sure sey another thing neffa enter? grin
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by sisimose(f): 7:16pm On Jun 05, 2007
lmao i don die NL

@ Mcbee
i looked in your profile as you aksed, you sound like an authority in this matter, i wont discount you just like that yet. I saw your pic, are you a preacher? i mean like them oyakilome and co? wow! you call yourself mrhandsome, you not shy oh brother smiley
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by diamondd(f): 7:25pm On Jun 05, 2007
say no to this if you still believe its a myth

Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by mrmayor(m): 10:29pm On Jun 05, 2007
Its still a myth.

Milagros was born with a rare congenital defect known as[b] sirenomelia, or "mermaid syndrome," [/b] which occurs in one out of every 70,000 births.

source
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2005-06/01/content_447727.htm
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by diamondd(f): 10:56pm On Jun 05, 2007
REALLY I KNOW, BUT I DUN'T THINK MERMAIDS ARE MYTH MEN I BELIEVE THEY ARE REAL IF NOT THERE'S GOT TO BE SOME SPIRITUAL BOUNDINGS TO IT
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by mrmayor(m): 11:08pm On Jun 05, 2007
There must also be spiritual boundings to santa claus,tooth fairy,seven dwarfs
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by RichyBlacK(m): 11:33pm On Jun 05, 2007
"Mermaid belief is just like belief in god,believe if it make sense to you." --> @redsun

People who believe in mermaids typically claim they or their mother or someone they know has seen a mermaid. However, those who believe in God do not typically claim to have seen God - big difference.
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by RichyBlacK(m): 11:48pm On Jun 05, 2007
In this age of digital cameras (on cellphones, etc.), I hope someone will post an authentic picture of a real-life mermaid. And forget the tired excuse of "mammywater no dey show for foto". Post a real picture of a mammywater let us see. Also, there are ways of authenticating digital images, so do not post scenes from "Splash". Thank you.
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by ashantegal(f): 2:32am On Jun 06, 2007
ediot!!! those pictures are of children that have genetic defects or there legs didn't properly form during pregnancy ahhh you see people with all types of birth defects so are hunchbacks, midgets, mentally challenged people mammy water too. tongue lipsrsealed
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by diamondd(f): 2:38am On Jun 06, 2007
easy on the swear why you calling ppl idiots, no one says its no birth defect. please get over ursef
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by ashantegal(f): 2:49am On Jun 06, 2007
who was talking to you diamond mind your business
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by diamondd(f): 3:07am On Jun 06, 2007
well miss ash take it easy, dunt knw y u so cold
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by ashantegal(f): 3:10am On Jun 06, 2007
i'm not cold miss dia, you told me to get over self which was rude and i wasn't calling you an ediot only those who believed that those children were mermaids, so if thats not you then please lets leave it alone
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by diamondd(f): 4:57am On Jun 06, 2007
ok sister ash i'm sorry if i was rude. no hurt feelings its jus a forum
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by Oracle(m): 5:34am On Jun 06, 2007
I really don't know what to believe.

Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by BigT: 12:41pm On Jun 06, 2007
Folks, the problem is that that we get to wrapped up in things we cannot even see. If its mystical, then they must be some truth to it. Just like Prof Peller, who was just an entertainer but folks thought he had special powers. No one has any power except that have are in possession of Uzi machine gun, Now that is what i call special power, kiss kiss
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by lapaz: 2:01pm On Jun 07, 2007
I think we've heard rumors and even tales of mammy water beings. I can remember that one of the middle/late 80's edition of the Nigerian Tribune featured a story about some group of scientists who stumbled on a baby mammy somewhere on the Atlantic pictures of the creature inclusive. The baby actually asked the scientists to let go or calamities befall their nation.

You should read that up by checking up the Nigerian Tribune archives. Its a reality and i don't think we humans really pose a threat to them.
shocked

Geetee
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by Tasma: 12:20pm On Jun 08, 2007
It's easy to see why Nigeria is having problems developing when grown ups can spend days arguing about whether "mammy waters" exist. How about ghosts, horses with horns and pigs that fly? I'm sure there are a lot more real and relevant issues that can be discussed. Let's leave silly superstition aside.
Re: Mammy Water: Myth Or Reality? by Mcbee(m): 5:04pm On Jun 13, 2007
ashantegal:

i'm not cold miss dia, you told me to get over self which was rude and i wasn't calling you an ediot only those who believed that those children were mermaids, so if thats not you then please lets leave it alone

You still don't have any moral justification of calling anybody an "idiot". The Word IDIOT is an offensive,abusive term for someone who has a psychiatric disorder. You shouldn't use such insolent words on people you don't even know. I'm sure some of those you described as idiot are far older and more intelligent than you. It might be a faceless entity, that shouldn't be a premise to throw insult on people.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

“God Has Anointed Me To Lead A Revolution Against Islamic Jihadists” – Oyedepo / Russia To Buy Nigeria's Military Technology For $500bn / MMM Is Demonic Says Apostle Suleiman, Participants React

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.