Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,909 members, 7,802,954 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:11 AM

Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience (27531 Views)

Construction Of 6self-contain Hostel Frm Start To Finish With Cost Saving Advice / Ten Ways To Reduce Cost While Building A New Home / Cost Of Building A House In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience by true2home(m): 5:58pm On Jun 10, 2016
Look at it from this direction, YOU have impacted knowledge on solar installion on all of us. Thank You

nextstep:
We've taken the very painful step of uninstalling panels, removing steel beams, and are now banging in the roofing wood for a regular roof. We'll revisit the panels once we place the aluminium sheets on the roof.

<pics soon>

1 Like

Re: Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience by Nobody: 6:24pm On Jun 10, 2016
true2home:
Look at it from this direction, YOU have impacted knowledge on solar installion on all of us. Thank You

He did.

OP, thank you.
Re: Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience by nextstep(m): 6:20pm On Jun 18, 2016
The gist of this post: anybody tilting their solar panels South in Nigeria should stop doing so; go flat or slightly North. South-facing panels suffer from the double disadvantage that the Sun transits North during the rainy season.

So we've all read that we should tilt our solar panels southward for maximum energy production… but has anyone of us in the tropics actually studied the position of the sun in Nigeria? Most of us have not, and blindly apply calculations made for the far-Nothern hemisphere (e.g. North America and Europe). If you've studied the position of the sun at different times of the year as I have from June last year to this year, you'll come to the same realization that I (and a handful of Nigerian scientists) have come to: don't tilt solar panels at all.

Early last year I read some insolation documentation [1-4] published by several universities and research centers in Nigeria which got me thinking…

Remember that our building is oriented such that the front faces directly West (and the back East). My empirical evidence shows that in October-March, the Sun transits East-to-West on the South side (warming up the living room), whereas April-September, it transits on the North side (warming up the bathroom). These transits peak in January (most South) and July (most North) respectively, see the included pictures. The sun travels directly overhead during the first week of April, and again during the second week of September, in accordance to the tilt of the earth.

Now since we're not directly at the equator (6 degrees off), we'll get slightly more insolation on the South side, but not enough to offset the fact that if you point your panels South in Nigeria, you will get much worse performance between May and September. These are the months we really need to face the Sun since it's the rainy season, so if anything those panels should point North. This is supported by experience, as well as data from Table 1 in the first referenced paper. Counter-intuitive, but only for those living in the far-Northern hemisphere; it makes total sense for those of us in the tropics.

I have empirical data that I've gathered, but to illustrate my point, I made some graphs using a sun position calculator [5]. The results support my thesis that panels should either be flat, or as the next choice, titled slightly North.

This brings us to the next problem: when do we want maximum power generation? In the morning when the panels and batteries are cooler (more efficient), which means we tilt East. Or in the afternoon to support higher demand in the late afternoon (e.g air-conditioning) when panels are now hot (less efficient), which means we tilt West. Is there generally more cloud in the morning than in the late afternoon? What about likelihood of rain? The only way to answer is to gather more data in the coming year, so stay tuned...

1. http://www.ijetae.com/files/Volume3Issue6/IJETAE_0613_87.pdf
2. http://www.arpnjournals.com/jeas/research_papers/rp_2012/jeas_1212_834.pdf
3. http://www.academicjournals.org/journal/IJPS/article-full-text-pdf/9209E9618145
4. http://www.academicjournals.org/journal/IJSTER/article-full-text-pdf/77B50DF5132
5. http://www.pveducation.org/pvcdrom/properties-of-sunlight/sun-position-calculator and using 6 degrees as latitude and longitude, at around 12:45pm during the different months.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience by nextstep(m): 11:21am On Jun 22, 2016
true2home:

Thank you... I just want to help us move forward and be a good resource for the coming solar future.

2 Likes

Re: Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience by nextstep(m): 11:30am On Jun 22, 2016
So this story done get K-leg oh... remember we had redone the roof? Well, it turned out that the roofing people had left one side of the facing board unclad, and they had also left that side of the woodwork (about 1.5 ft of woodwork) uncompleted. So there is a gap in the roof of 1.5ft by 20ft in the roof. They claimed that they ran out of materials to finish everything in one day. Roofing that we've already paid for all materials. This is a SIMPLE flat roof, so how can we have miscalculated on materials?

No problem, let's restart on Monday. Suddenly LGA boys show up and start their wahala, taking cement, zinc, tools, from the site. We had settled these people more than 6 months ago, but it seems the oga and deputy we gave money to simple ate the money. Now they are asking for 240k before we can continue roofing.. All the money and effort spent on removing panels, wood, aluminium, etc seems like just a waste since the decking is getting soaked, just like before. I done tire for Delta.

It seems too much of a coincidence that these events happened and I smell a rat... could it be one of the roofing people? The engineer? I'm beginning to get paranoid and the trouble in this place is really discouraging any kind of development.

More later as this saga continues.

Re: Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience by RealEstateAuctn: 1:27pm On Jun 22, 2016
Real Estate Auction Network - a leading authority on asset acquisition and disposal in Africa, is at the forefront of the real estate auction industry, bringing a broad range of land, residential and commercial property to auction floors across Africa.

Re: Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jun 22, 2016
nextstep:
So this story done get K-leg oh... remember we had redone the roof? Well, it turned out that the roofing people had left one side of the facing board unclad, and they had also left that side of the woodwork (about 1.5 ft of woodwork) uncompleted. So there is a gap in the roof of 1.5ft by 20ft in the roof. They claimed that they ran out of materials to finish everything in one day. Roofing that we've already paid for all materials. This is a SIMPLE flat roof, so how can we have miscalculated on materials?

No problem, let's restart on Monday. Suddenly LGA boys show up and start their wahala, taking cement, zinc, tools, from the site. We had settled these people more than 6 months ago, but it seems the oga and deputy we gave money to simple ate the money. Now they are asking for 240k before we can continue roofing.. All the money and effort spent on removing panels, wood, aluminium, etc seems like just a waste since the decking is getting soaked, just like before. I done tire for Delta.

It seems too much of a coincidence that these events happened and I smell a rat... could it be one of the roofing people? The engineer? I'm beginning to get paranoid and the trouble in this place is really discouraging any kind of development.

I'm certain that my builder is in with my area omo onile. The coincidence of them showing up ONLY when he's doing work and not any other trade is just too much.

2 Likes

Re: Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience by true2home(m): 5:42pm On Jun 23, 2016
Sorry. My fellow Nigerian, we are who we are, period!!! we make live difficult for our people; in turn, ourselves. There is nothing you will do in Nigeria of today and not have a fellow Nigerian come in to create hardship.

Go there when you can and preach what patriotism is all about to whoever you find there; embarrass them and call them bastard without actually voicing it exactly. I do that all the time and it sometime works. They get embarrass that you are accusing them of not being true and faithful to their own country. Tell them that they are indirectly cursing their children.

When we complain about Nigeria not moving forward, we keep forgetting that its as a result of our own doing by obstructing our brothers and sisters since we are the Oga today, forgetting that we have children behind us than will go through the this same system. I distaste situation like this. I suspend my project because of similar situation. I will continue soon, Nigeria is ours no matter the problem. Take time out to cool off, then put forward. Goodluck

nextstep:

3 Likes

Re: Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience by nextstep(m): 5:54pm On Jun 28, 2016
Saw this picture of a solar installation in Nnewi (courtesy of Solynta https://www.facebook.com/SolyntaEnergy/photos/a.479031498866287.1073741829.325033507599421/715867765182658/?type=3&theater).

I like the roof design, and might copy it for our next building... hopefully we can get some good ideas of how to make it rain-proof.

2 Likes

Re: Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience by nextstep(m): 6:51pm On Jun 28, 2016
This project is becoming traumatizing: I'm broke, heavily indebted, demoralized; I've taken to drink, I'm having sleepless nights, and I'm very short tempered; I have more bad dreams than usual, and can't focus on anything. We're not due to finish this project till December, no tenants, no new business leads, and still plan to sink 2M before completion. I must admit that I have also contemplated demolishing the whole thing and vowing never to do anything worthwhile again, especially not in Delta state.

I'm only able to write this after spending 1 week feeling dejected, then slightly recovering my spirits. This post is a quick summary of all the things that went wrong with this build.

In summary, we ended up settling in May 2016 for 1.8M to buy the land again (already paid 1.8M to first owner, youths, etc). Long story short, the land tussle was between two ancient gentlemen, and the argument went back 20+ years. You don't realize that as you spend 30k here, 10k there, 70k another place to mobilize police, transport and lodging for a lawyer; 50k for security; 10k for informants; 10k in fuel going up and down; it adds up to a lot. Lesson learned: try to engage with all aggrieved parties immediately and leave police out of your business.

Some memorable events:

2015-11-18 The building was brutally vandalized with all walls almost entirely broken. Spent almost 400k on police, security, lawyers, to fight whoever was responsible, to repair, and to buy more materials that were damaged.
2015-11-23 Plumber cut into decking concrete and rebar. Had to re-inforce and recast that section.
2015-12-02 Temporary staircase put on wrong side (engineer assumed door was in wrong place). Had to spend time and money to fix this, break open the wall that was supposed to have the door, and to demolish and recreate a new temporary staircase
2016-01-12 Some youths and old man show up and chase off workers with cutlass. This happens periodically for several months.
2016-01-14 Panels arrive, doors fabricated, but had to be left outside for 3 weeks because downstairs was not completed. Paid almost 50k for security because of existing land tussle.
2016-03-17 Temporary staircase pushed off by our land tussle guy, and bamboo damaged. Spent money to restore it.
2016-04-07 Temporary zinc and wood structure inside building to protect decking. 90k materials and labour. Ultimately, this fails to keep decking dry.
2016-06-10 Panels removed because of extensive leaking. Specialized labour to disconnect and delicately move it cost 60k. Of course it will cost again to put them back.
2016-06-11 New roof begun, but only 90% complete before I have to return to base in Ilorin. Suspect sabotage.
2016-06-16 LGA men show up, halt work, take 120k of materials from site, insist that 240k must be paid before we can finish the roof.

This is all I can remember, but I will tally cost overruns here:
1800k - land
400k - police issues/security
200k - misc mistakes by personnel
150k - roof mistakes
240k - 2nd payment to LGA (didn't get a receipt the 1st time)

So, in addition to the reasonable costs of building (which includes land, tax, youths, materials, labour, transport), the overruns caused by all our issues is about 2.8M shocked

This is enough to make me sick and weak at the knees. This is a very heavy price to pay for my inexperience, and my desire to help move Nigeria forward. Sometimes I wish I had just used this money to just start an import business, or some other low-risk business but I had high hopes. I pray to learn from these mistakes and pray that in the coming years, I will smile about this episode in my life.

As of 2016-06-27, heavy rains enter building and decking is heavily soaked. The rain is damaging the walls and water is dripping unto the materials and batteries below. No money for 2 months so we just siddon look. The irony is that I could have left the leaking roof alone, saved my money, and still have the same situation. July is going to be absolutely awful as the rains play havoc with this building.

2 Likes

Re: Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience by Nobody: 7:11pm On Jun 28, 2016
nextstep:
This project is becoming traumatizing: I'm broke; heavily indebted; demoralized; I've taken to drinking, and I'm having sleepless nights; I have more bad dreams than usual. We're not due to finish this project till December, no tenants, and still plan to sink 2M before completion. I must admit that I have also contemplated demolishing the whole thing and vowing to never to do anything worthwhile, especially not in Delta state.

I'm only able to write this after spending 1 week feeling dejected, then slightly recovering my spirits. This post is a quick summary of all the things that went wrong with this build.

In summary, we ended up settling in May 2016 for 1.8M to buy the land again (already paid 1.8M to first owner, youths, etc). Long story short, the land tussle was between two ancient gentlemen, and the argument went back 20+ years. You don't realize that as you spend 30k here, 10k there, 70k another place to mobilize police, transport and lodging for a lawyer; 50k for security; 10k for informants; 10k in fuel going up and down; it adds up to a lot. Lesson learned: try to engage with all aggrieved parties immediately and leave police out of your business.

Some memorable events:

2015-11-18 The building was brutally vandalized with all walls almost entirely broken. Spent almost 400k on police, security, lawyers, to fight whoever was responsible, to repair, and to buy more materials that were damaged.
2015-11-23 Plumber cut into decking concrete and rebar. Had to re-inforce and recast that section.
2015-12-02 Temporary staircase put on wrong side (engineer assumed door was in wrong place). Had to spend time and money to fix this, break open the wall that was supposed to have the door, and to demolish and recreate a new temporary staircase
2016-01-12 Some youths and old man show up and chase off workers with cutlass. This happens periodically for several months.
2016-01-14 Panels arrive, doors fabricated, but had to be left outside for 3 weeks because downstairs was not completed. Paid almost 50k for security because of existing land tussle.
2016-03-17 Temporary staircase pushed off by our land tussle guy, and bamboo damaged. Spent money to restore it.
2016-04-07 Temporary zinc and wood structure inside building to protect decking. 90k materials and labour. Ultimately, this fails to keep decking dry.
2016-06-10 Panels removed because of extensive leaking. Specialized labour to disconnect and delicately move it cost 60k. Of course it will cost again to put them back.
2016-06-11 New roof begun, but only 90% complete before I have to return to base in Ilorin. Suspect sabotage.
2016-06-16 LGA men show up, halt work, take 120k of materials from site, insist that 240k must be paid.

As of 2016-06-27, heavy rains enter building and decking is heavily soaked. The rain is damaging the walls and water is dripping unto the materials and batteries below. No money for 2 months so we just siddon look. The irony is that I could have left the leaking roof alone, saved my money, and still have the same situation. July is going to be absolutely awful as the rains play havoc with this building.

1800k - land
150k - roof mistakes

So, in addition to the reasonable costs of building (which includes land, tax, youths, materials, labour, transport), the overruns caused by all our issues is about 2.8M shocked

This is enough to make me sick and weak at the knees. This is a very heavy price to pay for my inexperience, and my desire to help move Nigeria forward. Sometimes I wish I had just used this money to just start an import business, or some other low-risk business but I had high hopes. I pray to learn from these mistakes and pray that in the coming years, I will smile about this episode in my life.

On behalf of all well meaning and progressive Nigerians, please accept my deepest empathy.

I faced omo onile too and some asshat came out of the blue to try to take over my land.

This is a learning thing for folks.

7 Likes

Re: Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience by Larwin(m): 8:17pm On Jun 30, 2016
Just read through d whole thread, sir u did a great work here.
I just hope you can find peace from within. That's the only thing that can satisfy u at such a time like this

2 Likes

Re: Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience by Obeenah(m): 11:15am On Jul 10, 2016
YoursGEJ:
How much would it cost to set up a solar energy system for a 3 bedroom house? One 70 inch LCD TV, fridge, 10 bulbs, 2 laptops, charging 8 mobile phones?

A 2kw solar system will work perfecting and power a little more. Please send a request for a quote to Email: victor.nwosu@solynta.com.ng or call: 0803--512-5915
Re: Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience by Obeenah(m): 11:18am On Jul 10, 2016
Saintp:

I wanted to ask this too. I want to get my ass off this NEPA issue once and for all.

Plz experts in the house, help us answer ooo.

Please send a message to get a solar brochure with pricing for your solar energy system. Please email : victor.nwosu@solynta.com.ng or call: 0803-512-5915
Re: Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience by Nobody: 11:50am On Jul 10, 2016
Nairaland sellers, allergic to posting information online.

1 Like

Re: Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience by WeldHome: 3:17am On Jul 31, 2016
nextstep:
Pic 1. The panels in their temporary resting place... whether we'll put them back on the roof, or install them closer to the ground is still up for debate.

Pic 2. The terrible state of the flashing and of the silicone gives me real doubts that a roof made of panels would have been water-tight for even one rainy season.

Pic 3. This observation might help inform others (and our final decision): in spite of the heavy rains we're having, there's a thin layer of dust that has settled on the panels in the short 3 months they've been up. For comparison we wiped the left side of the panel. As more layers of dust accumulate over the years, solar production will also decrease. This is expected, but our assumption that any dust would be washed away by rain is partially correct: most of the dust would be washed off, but enough would still accumulate that can only be removed by manual wiping.

If only someone would invent a windshield wiper for solar panels... grin

Apart from the problem listed here, it think it's kind of a bad practice to lump panels together (when not designed for roofing material). This is because they require species between each other in order to allow for free circulation of air around the panels. Which I had seen this thread earlier.

So sorry for all you went thru sir.
Re: Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience by Nobody: 3:31am On Jul 31, 2016
For those of us who are wise to internet marketers that looks to harvest email address.

You don't actually have to grovel to get pricing information as it's readily available at Solynta website.

Re: Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience by battleaxe: 4:04am On Aug 04, 2016
nextstep:
Saw this picture of a solar installation in Nnewi (courtesy of Solynta https://www.facebook.com/SolyntaEnergy/photos/a.479031498866287.1073741829.325033507599421/715867765182658/?type=3&theater).

I like the roof design, and might copy it for our next building... hopefully we can get some good ideas of how to make it rain-proof.

Has anyone experienced theft of these solar panels when placed at such lower heights on flat concreted roofs? I'm concerned their proximity to the roads/pathways and the fact that they're easier to access without too much notice might make them enticing items to be stolen.

That's like 2M on that roof!

1 Like

Re: Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience by yettyasim: 7:49pm On Aug 22, 2016
Good evening my good people Please help me beg this man called JessNigeria to pay my money ... I used his company to deliver goods to abuja last two weeks ( which the goods as been confirmed by customers it has been delivered and has been paid for ) believing he will pay in on Monday last week till now l didn't hear from him ,he doesn't pick my calls and doesn't respond on what'sapp ......please help me beg him to pay my money
Re: Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience by nextstep(m): 10:15pm On Oct 13, 2016
Tiling works. I must say I'm very impressed with the tiler guy. Look at how well he dressed the window, and tiled around the toilet pipes. The shower area is also well sloped.

1 Like

Re: Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience by nextstep(m): 10:40pm On Oct 13, 2016
It's finally beginning to look like a place somebody can live in. We hope to finally finish the ground floor this year, but the going is slow sha
Because spacing was so tight in the bathroom we bought the cabinet, sink and toilet before any plumbing was done, to make sure they would fit, and where the pipes should go. I'm happy to see our efforts paid off, as everything aligns so well. Will show more details in a later post

You can't tell that there are batteries under the floor. We decked the battery area (4ft by 1.5ft) with a removable cover, like a soakaway, and then tiled over it.

There is an external vent for gas and visual inspection, but the batteries are mostly maintenance-free until their allotted 3 years of service. At that time, we just need to lift off the tiles and cover to gain access to the area.

Note that the small size of the structure (mandated by our earlier premise of using solar panels as roofing material) is the major reason for this hassle. If I was to do it again, I'd just make the building larger and have a dedicated closet space for the batteries.

Re: Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience by true2home(m): 1:02pm On Oct 15, 2016
[I am really feeling your project. It's coming our nicely, especially the bathroom.

quote author=nextstep post=50179011]It's finally beginning to look like a place somebody can live in. We hope to finally finish the ground floor this year, but the going is slow sha
Because spacing was so tight in the bathroom we bought the cabinet, sink and toilet before any plumbing was done, to make sure they would fit, and where the pipes should go. I'm happy to see our efforts paid off, as everything aligns so well. Will show more details in a later post

You can't tell that there are batteries under the floor. We decked the battery area (4ft by 1.5ft) with a removable cover, like a soakaway, and then tiled over it.

There is an external vent for gas and visual inspection, but the batteries are mostly maintenance-free until their allotted 3 years of service. At that time, we just need to lift off the tiles and cover to gain access to the area.

Note that the small size of the structure (mandated by our earlier premise of using solar panels as roofing material) is the major reason for this hassle. If I was to do it again, I'd just make the building larger and have a dedicated closet space for the batteries.[/quote]
Re: Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience by GiggsTk(m): 7:44pm On Nov 06, 2016
Nextstep well-done, I found this https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/28/these-are-teslas-stunning-new-solar-roof-tiles-for-homes/
It's a new innovation from tesla and it would have been a better option for you. It's new so pricing is not clear yet, but from the write-up it's feasible.

1 Like

Re: Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience by Sequoia(m): 9:54am On Nov 24, 2017
nextstep:
By the way, we're already producing an average of 30kWH of energy per day. This means we can keep the lights on, charge our phones and laptops, as well as run an efficient fridge indefinitely, without caring about PHCN or fuel scarcity. I personally designed and manufactured the highly-efficient (prototype) LED lights we're using, and I'm proud that they've run without issues for weeks now.

(I'll post pictures soon)
Interesting that you manufactured the LED lighting. Can we see pictures? Well done sir
Re: Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience by TBrownAuto(m): 8:59am On Dec 27, 2018
Please how much does it cost for the spiral step

nextstep:

Re: Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience by Lefty500: 5:37pm On Jul 13, 2020
nextstep:
This project is becoming traumatizing: I'm broke, heavily indebted, demoralized; I've taken to drink, I'm having sleepless nights, and I'm very short tempered; I have more bad dreams than usual, and can't focus on anything. We're not due to finish this project till December, no tenants, no new business leads, and still plan to sink 2M before completion. I must admit that I have also contemplated demolishing the whole thing and vowing never to do anything worthwhile again, especially not in Delta state.

Some memorable events:

2016-06-16 LGA men show up, halt work, take 120k of materials from site, insist that 240k must be paid before we can finish the roof.

1800k - land
150k - roof mistakes

Wow. I stumbled upon this thread, and I have to say it's engaging and educative. I like the way you pitched your ideas and went on to do some experiments. I say may God bless you abundantly, and continue to increase your knowledge.

One of the problem we have in this part of the world is lack of adventure or experimentation, we don't want to fail (including me), but we also lack the materials that won't let us fail, or reduce the rate of failure, which is proper documentation or research works (not some theoretical jargons we have piled up in our universities). This your work has really changed my view about renewable energy.

Some of the challenges you encountered are the reason why our country still remain the same, something like this you are doing should be able to get funded by technology schools or FG, and again you should have protection of the government, why should you have to buy land twice?

Please I will like to know what's the out come of the Project, the problems encountered, how they were solved.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Building A Solar-powered Hostel - A Learning Experience by chris81964(m): 7:48am On Jan 05
How did this end? Any follow up?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photos From The Fire Outbreak At Marina This Morning / Cost Of Buying A 2 Bedroom Apartment In Lagos| Brook Assets And Resources / To Let: Ikosi Ketu 3 Bedrooms Flats

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.