Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,992 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:46 AM

Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... - Health (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... (40234 Views)

Kebbi Sickle Cell Association (KESCA) Marks World Sickle Cell Day (Photos) / Sickle Cell Patient On Oxygen Dies After Power Outage In Lagos / Lady Designs Condom Made Cloth For Hiv Awareness (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by maryhaam(f): 10:45am On Sep 10, 2015
Abali1:

It's actually emotionally disturbing, to be searching for a compatible person and it's not even as if the genotype is written on his or her forehead. But can you compare your emotional hurt to that of birthing a baby with Sickle Cell and live in fear of not knowing whether he or she will live long enough. Even after he or she has become an adult, you still fuss over their health.
Can you compare your emotional hurt now, to when the SS child starts suffering from discrimination? Being rejected by others especially the opposite sex just because mummy and daddy didn't think it wise to find someone with a compatible genotype to marry?
If you are true to yourself, you will find someone who's compatible with you sooner than later.
goodluck.
thank you very much I appreciate.

1 Like

Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by gannod(m): 11:10am On Sep 10, 2015
oloyetomoye:
[size=14pt]

Pls sound this alarm oooo loud and clear! The agony of a s ickler during crisis is a gory sight to behold. I saw it once and I never wished my enemy was a sickler. It is very very horrible. Pls confirm before saying YES! Don't suffer your live o!
[/size]

you are damn right! I lost my immediate younger brother to it. The agony and pains he went through before he finally died is still fresh in my memory. People should confirm their genotype before marrying. A word is enough for the wise!
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by Abali1(m): 2:34pm On Sep 10, 2015
jnrremedy:

There are 3 major haemoglobin disorders
Sickle cell disease scd
Alpha thalesemia
Beta thalesemia
Others
Thalesemia trait is also transmitted in the same fashion as d sickle cell trait (s or c). U need to have the homozygous gene for the thalasemia trait b4 u show clinical signs of d diseases ( just like SS trait) or the S haemoglobin in presence of a gene for thal. In simple terms:
If ur genotype is AA and you have a gene of thal (ie thalesemia) you will only be a carrier(have beta thalesemia minor) but won't manifest any clinical signs (asymptomatic)
If u are AS and u have a gene of thal u will show the same clinical sings and symptoms of a sicklerr. This explains the rare case of an As and AA parents giving birth to a sickler. I believe u must have heard of such cases and d funny thing is that the electrophoresis analysis of d child will show SS. What happened here is that one of d parents is a carrier so a gene of thal was transfered to d child whose genotype happens to be AS( though genotyping of d child using electrophoresis will come our as SS ) u need a more sophisticated diagnostic tool to see d true picture
You can also directly inherit thal gene from both parents ( if both are carriers) in this case your genotype is irrelevant u will definitely show d symptoms of a sickler
Most doctors don't no or say this cos d incidence of thalasemia disease in not that high in this part of d world but that doesn't mean its not present
Am actually typing on transit so pardon my errors
WoW. This is some insight. It makes sense, but I will be grateful if you can help me with a link to read it up.
I know about Beta Thalassemia, but haven't really devoted time to studying it. Infact, I am devoting this month to the study of Beta Thalassemia.
Thank you.
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by jnrremedy(m): 5:48pm On Sep 10, 2015
Abali1:

WoW. This is some insight. It makes sense, but I will be grateful if you can help me with a link to read it up.
I know about Beta Thalassemia, but haven't really devoted time to studying it. Infact, I am devoting this month to the study of Beta Thalassemia.
Thank you.
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/206490-overview

http://ukts.org/about-thalassaemia/thalassaemia-types/carrier.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalassemia

A quote from one of d above link
Coexistence of sickle cell trait
The coexistence of sickle cell trait and beta
Thalassemia is a major and symptomatic
hemoglobinopathy with most of the symptoms
and complications of sickle cell disease. Unlike
sickle cell trait, in which most Hb-on-Hb
electrophoresis is Hb A (AS), S is the dominant
Hb (SA) and usually constitutes about 60% or
more of the circulating Hb, depending on the
transfusion status of the patient and the nature
of the coexisting beta-thalassemia mutation (ie,
beta-zero vs beta-plus).
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by Punstar: 7:37pm On Sep 10, 2015
Missonas:

Every child has a right to live. Its one of the fundamental human rights far from morality
A child has as much right to life just as the parents have right to prevent its living........it's deontological......Basic philosophy
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by Missonas(f): 8:17pm On Sep 10, 2015
Punstar:
A child has as much right to life just as the parents have right to prevent its living........it's deontological......Basic philosophy
I'm not trying to be all righteous and yea u're d dad bt Im jst glad ur folks gave u the right to live! IVF wudv been a better option
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by bid4rich(m): 9:06pm On Sep 10, 2015
Missonas:

I just ♥ this! Are u for real?

Im very much for real and thats what I believe
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by Missonas(f): 11:54pm On Sep 10, 2015
bid4rich:

Im very much for real and thats what I believe
May our believe work for us IN JESUS NAME.Im just tired of hearing pple conclude that AS/AS is nt Gods plan like an unhappy married AA/AA couple is Gods plan

NB I am notbin support of mass procreation of SS offsprings Im a believer that God always have a plan!
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by bid4rich(m): 1:38pm On Sep 11, 2015
Missonas:

May our believe work for us IN JESUS NAME.Im just tired of hearing pple conclude that AS/AS is nt Gods plan like an unhappy married AA/AA couple is Gods plan

NB I am notbin support of mass procreation of SS offsprings Im a believer that God always have a plan!

You are very correct. like I said, Love conquer every negativity and discovery of man. Love look not at AS/SS, love is blind to all those medical ideology. Let Love Lead. Yes, God has a plan for every mortal man. I have head of a man AA and a woman AS gave birth to SS and I have also heard of man AS and woman AS gave birth to AA and AS and non of their child is SS.

When you hold on to God, forget about the devil

God bless you

1 Like

Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by Punstar: 7:28pm On Sep 11, 2015
Missonas:

I'm not trying to be all righteous and yea u're d dad bt Im jst glad ur folks gave u the right to live! IVF wudv been a better option
I understand the whole righteous thing but I wish I can make you see my point without having to type it out.... My point being.....there's some good in some bad and vice versa
Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by omozu1(m): 12:25pm On Sep 12, 2015
it is good to look for the right person before you say yes but if you are already living with sickle cell diseases or you have a relation living with it please don"t let some of these people here who do not even know anything about sickle cell kill you before your time.
you can live well with it and live a healthy and long life my father lived with till he died fives years ago at the age of 74.
i am 45 now and all my living with him he never had any crises or going for blood transfussion he was always drinking water plenty of it always as advice by his white man doctor he met when he was in the morden school and as a farmer, vegetables and fruits were his best friends.
that is the reason i set up this blog to educate people about sickle cell and how to live with itand live long.

http://yourhealthandmy..com.ng/2015/08/sickle-cell-anemia.html

1 Like

Re: Sickle Cell Awareness !! Come In And Learn..... by Sunnypar(m): 5:21pm On Sep 13, 2015
kiss
jonaji:
Know your genotype before you say yes to that
handsome guy and beautiful lady whom you
wish to spend the rest of your life with.

Genotype and It's Appropriate Suitor:

AA + AA = Excellent

AA + AS = Good

AA + SS = Fair

AS + AS = Bad

AS + SS = Very Bad

SS + SS = Extremely Bad (In fact, don't try it).

#SickleCellAwareness

Pls share with others...

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Woman Shares Photos Of Her 4 Sons: "Doctor Said I Didn’t Have Enough Eggs" / Okechukwu Ozumba: US Arrests Doctor For ‘Sexually Assaulting’ Patients / My Rotten Teeth Is Driving Girls Away From Me, Please Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.