Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:59 AM

When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job (25690 Views)

11 Reasons To Quit Your Job And Start A Business / Big Question... Will You Quit Your Job To Start A Business?? / Would You Quit Your Current Job To Become A Farmer If It Paid More? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by Sodiumdawg: 3:53pm On Sep 08, 2015
No job conditions can be worse than unemployment.

Ask those who've lost their jobs before.

5 Likes

Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by walearoy(m): 4:01pm On Sep 08, 2015
ATMC:
I've been there #incelinedion'svoice

I'm still there cry even with my MSc cry

1 Like

Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by AmakaDNBStories(f): 4:01pm On Sep 08, 2015
Nice.
Check my signature
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by abuhalima(m): 4:02pm On Sep 08, 2015
We can't be afraid of change. You may feel very secure in the pond that you are in, but if you never venture out of it, you will never know that there is such a thing as an ocean, a sea. Holding onto something that is good for you now, may be the very reason why you don't have something better. C. JoyBell C.

3 Likes

Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by eliteperfume(m): 4:04pm On Sep 08, 2015
Okay!

Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by biafranqueen: 4:08pm On Sep 08, 2015
Great write up!
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by WailingWailer00(m): 4:18pm On Sep 08, 2015
Lovely post

People only stick in some jobs in Naija just because there's no other available options
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by free37: 4:21pm On Sep 08, 2015
whirlwind7:

No beginning is ever smooth, bro.
It's timidity and fear of the unknown that would keep anyone in a job that is gradually sending him to an early grave.
Nobody makes it by not taking a certain amount of risk. I would rather strike out on a wild venture, than keep struggling in a job that wears me out.
What do you think is the reason why in many industrialized countries, most suicides happen on Monday mornings?
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by money121(m): 4:22pm On Sep 08, 2015
Ok
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by Achilies(m): 4:23pm On Sep 08, 2015
I guess it's time to quit my current job because I can really relate to no2 and 5..
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by Achilies(m): 4:28pm On Sep 08, 2015
[color=#006600][/color]
whirlwind7:

It's timidity and fear of the unknown that would keep anyone in a job that is gradually sending him to an early grave.
Nobody makes it by not taking a certain amount of risk. I would rather strike out on a wild venture, than keep struggling in a job that wears me out.
What do you think is the reason why in many industrialized countries, most suicides happen on Monday mornings?

Guy God bless u.
The fear of the unknown is what is holding people from reaching their coals.

1 Like

Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by gmacnoms(m): 4:34pm On Sep 08, 2015
6. Whern u becom scared on Sundays. especially in d evenin. always feeling lyk a loosed bird on friday afternoon
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by OduntanGabriel(m): 5:01pm On Sep 08, 2015
Types of people we missed on Nairaland. www.nairaland.com/2583818/types-people-missed-nairaland
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by Juxtified(m): 5:32pm On Sep 08, 2015
tochigold:

https://blog.ngcareers.com/4951/when-is-it-the-right-time-to-quit-your-job/
I think the first and most important 'sign' is when you have the employment letter of a better job in your hand.

1 Like

Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by millhouse: 5:48pm On Sep 08, 2015
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by angiography(m): 5:57pm On Sep 08, 2015
sexymoma:
You always check the time every now and then grin
lol...the most painful thing is the oga telling to do overtime in a job one doesn't like.
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by angiography(m): 6:01pm On Sep 08, 2015
cosmatika:
I can only quit a job if its nt bringing enough returns again. I wake up every morning wishing I can sleep all day, but Wen I rmb dat 25th is fast approaching, I enter d bathroom sharpally
hmm truth. Today is 8th and I'm tire already
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by divalindiway(f): 6:11pm On Sep 08, 2015
Please if you ever have the slightest feel of any if these signs please P.M me so i can replace you
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by brainiac007: 6:25pm On Sep 08, 2015
abuhalima:
We can't be afraid of change. You
may feel very secure in the pond
that you are in, but if you never
venture out of it, you will never
know that there is such a thing as
an ocean, a sea. Holding onto
something that is good for you now,
may be the very reason why you
don't have something better.
C. JoyBell C.

You're so right, dear

1 Like

Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by queenfav(f): 6:30pm On Sep 08, 2015
Hehehehehe..I laugh in spanish.Follow this article or advice at your own risk.If only you knew the number of unemployed people worldwide!Then if you are fortunate enough to have a job that pays the bills,you will do all you can to keep it.Hey,everything written here is just the misguided opinion of the op.For instance,we all call in sick even though we may love our jobs.There are just some days you know it wouldn't be of any good to your company having you around.E.g someone who just lost a loved one.Anyways,for those with jobs that pay 200k and above that may decide to quit their jobs because they can relate to the any or all of the five points listed;biko pm me to replace you.When its time to quit your job indeed!
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by NOBODYY: 6:34pm On Sep 08, 2015
Ahh

No quit job for dz naija oo

Unless u'v seen anoda anyway
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by calcal: 7:03pm On Sep 08, 2015
Your job is not a permanent place for you anyway, you must be thinking of quit at anytime and ever ready to take another job.
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by luminousity(m): 7:06pm On Sep 08, 2015
no 5 remind me of when I was still an Enrollment (BVN) officer in a Bank.
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by Cherriecupid(f): 7:15pm On Sep 08, 2015
That's where am at presently! cry angry embarassed so annoying! !
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by sagitariusbaby(m): 7:22pm On Sep 08, 2015
whirlwind7:

guy you just nailed the right spot..... I have since quited that boring work of mine
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by wellmax(m): 7:29pm On Sep 08, 2015
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by Dinocarex(m): 7:47pm On Sep 08, 2015
divalindiway:
Please if you ever have the slightest feel of any if these signs please P.M me so i can replace you
lol....

1 Like

Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by MAYOWAAK: 7:49pm On Sep 08, 2015
10 Signs You Are Enjoying Your Work

1. Time flies by and you lose yourself. You enter a flow state.

Flow is a nearly transcendental state where time ceases to matter–what is in front of you is all there is, and worries and other tasks slip away. It happens when you do something that is really enjoyable (like playing a musical instrumental you love) or being with someone you really care about.

It’s the same thing when you are doing work you really love. Time slips away and you look at the window swearing that the sun just came up when you see it’s dark outside.

And the best thing about the flow state–it feels good.
2. You feel like you are doing something of value. You feel fulfilled.

Humans feel happy when they are connected to others, but also when they give or create something of value. It doesn’t have to be curing cancer (of course that would be amazing!); it could be more simple like being a carpenter and building things that people want or need. Whatever the job, you feel a deep sense of gratitude for being able to help and serve people. You feel like you are giving back and giving people your unique ideas, abilities, and talents.

It’s another thing that defines how a happy person lives their life, and how you too can stay happy daily.
3. You are excited to wake up in the morning.

If you aren’t ready and raring to get up in the morning, something might be amiss. Of course, everyone has off days. But if you continuously dread going to work to a serious amount, it might be time to change.

Whatever you do should get you excited to get up and hit the ground running full speed. It might involve you focusing on something about your job that you didn’t see before, but it should get you up and excited.
4. Your co-workers and superiors are seen as partners to give and produce something.

When you see the people you work with not just as other bodies in the office or guys who give you TPS reports to fill out, you are in the right place. You should see them as helpers with whom you can create something big. Maybe you aren’t the big boss deciding what that is, but you believe in what you’re doing, and you love that you get to work and struggle along with these people to make it a reality.
5. You do not complain.

Many people complain about their jobs:

“It’s too early.”

“It’s too far.”

“I don’t like the people I work with.”

“I hate what I do.”

If you’re constantly complaining, you either need a mindset change (start appreciating what you have, compared to say, being unemployed and struggling to pay any bill) or it’s your internal guide showing you that you need to find a different job you would enjoy more.

Whatever the case, in work you enjoy there may be times you complain about work load or an annoying task. But overall you know these are small potatoes compared to the happiness that comes from doing what you love.
6. You don’t mind the struggle.

Work can be a struggle. Writers spend hours editing and must work daily. Artists may do entire portraits and then throw them out. Engineers come up with designs that are faulty and have to go back to the drawing board of equations and figures.

But when you enjoy your work, you don’t care. You love the struggle. You love coming back, refining, and the process of progression to get what you want. The end goal of producing something amazing is worth it.
7. You get energized when you talk about what you do.

When people ask, “What do you do?”, you get revved up. You can’t shut up about it. That is a sign that you love what you do and you want everyone else to know.
8. You feel like your work is an extension of who you are; it is a part of your personality.

Work ceases to become work when it’s not just a means to an end. The perfect work is something that deeply resonates with something inside of you, and makes you able to output amazing quality and hours upon hours of production. You are expressing yourself and feel amazing and congruent with it.
9. You find yourself interested in extra items not assigned to you.

When you really enjoy your work, you’ll want to learn about your company or things that you might not be directly responsible for, but deal with the work in general. Even if you don’t have to do certain things, you want to learn more.
10. You feel tired at the end of the day, but in a satisfied way.

There’s a difference between feeling tired because you accomplished a lot, versus being tired because you had to drag yourself kicking and screaming through the day using lots of your willpower. If you feel accomplished, satisfied, happy, and like you produced something of value when you work and that makes you tired, you’re doing it right.

Always remember:

Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it.

– Steve Jobs
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by Adesiji77: 8:01pm On Sep 08, 2015
MAYOWAAK:
10 Signs You Are Enjoying Your Work

1. Time flies by and you lose yourself. You enter a flow state.

Flow is a nearly transcendental state where time ceases to matter–what is in front of you is all there is, and worries and other tasks slip away. It happens when you do something that is really enjoyable (like playing a musical instrumental you love) or being with someone you really care about.

It’s the same thing when you are doing work you really love. Time slips away and you look at the window swearing that the sun just came up when you see it’s dark outside.

And the best thing about the flow state–it feels good.
2. You feel like you are doing something of value. You feel fulfilled.

Humans feel happy when they are connected to others, but also when they give or create something of value. It doesn’t have to be curing cancer (of course that would be amazing!); it could be more simple like being a carpenter and building things that people want or need. Whatever the job, you feel a deep sense of gratitude for being able to help and serve people. You feel like you are giving back and giving people your unique ideas, abilities, and talents.

It’s another thing that defines how a happy person lives their life, and how you too can stay happy daily.
3. You are excited to wake up in the morning.

If you aren’t ready and raring to get up in the morning, something might be amiss. Of course, everyone has off days. But if you continuously dread going to work to a serious amount, it might be time to change.

Whatever you do should get you excited to get up and hit the ground running full speed. It might involve you focusing on something about your job that you didn’t see before, but it should get you up and excited.
4. Your co-workers and superiors are seen as partners to give and produce something.

When you see the people you work with not just as other bodies in the office or guys who give you TPS reports to fill out, you are in the right place. You should see them as helpers with whom you can create something big. Maybe you aren’t the big boss deciding what that is, but you believe in what you’re doing, and you love that you get to work and struggle along with these people to make it a reality.
5. You do not complain.

Many people complain about their jobs:

“It’s too early.”

“It’s too far.”

“I don’t like the people I work with.”

“I hate what I do.”

If you’re constantly complaining, you either need a mindset change (start appreciating what you have, compared to say, being unemployed and struggling to pay any bill) or it’s your internal guide showing you that you need to find a different job you would enjoy more.

Whatever the case, in work you enjoy there may be times you complain about work load or an annoying task. But overall you know these are small potatoes compared to the happiness that comes from doing what you love.
6. You don’t mind the struggle.

Work can be a struggle. Writers spend hours editing and must work daily. Artists may do entire portraits and then throw them out. Engineers come up with designs that are faulty and have to go back to the drawing board of equations and figures.

But when you enjoy your work, you don’t care. You love the struggle. You love coming back, refining, and the process of progression to get what you want. The end goal of producing something amazing is worth it.
7. You get energized when you talk about what you do.

When people ask, “What do you do?”, you get revved up. You can’t shut up about it. That is a sign that you love what you do and you want everyone else to know.
8. You feel like your work is an extension of who you are; it is a part of your personality.

Work ceases to become work when it’s not just a means to an end. The perfect work is something that deeply resonates with something inside of you, and makes you able to output amazing quality and hours upon hours of production. You are expressing yourself and feel amazing and congruent with it.
9. You find yourself interested in extra items not assigned to you.

When you really enjoy your work, you’ll want to learn about your company or things that you might not be directly responsible for, but deal with the work in general. Even if you don’t have to do certain things, you want to learn more.
10. You feel tired at the end of the day, but in a satisfied way.

There’s a difference between feeling tired because you accomplished a lot, versus being tired because you had to drag yourself kicking and screaming through the day using lots of your willpower. If you feel accomplished, satisfied, happy, and like you produced something of value when you work and that makes you tired, you’re doing it right.

Always remember:

Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven’t found it yet, keep looking. Don’t settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it.

– Steve Jobs

God bless you for sharing this.

I can relate with almost all the above and I feel re-invigorated just reading about them.

There is no "perfect" job. IMHO, we just need to watch our mindsets.

Some people will give a "an arm and a leg" to have our jobs even at half of our salaries.

However, if you are experiencing any of the points written by the OP and you have a better offer at hand, you may prayerfully quit.

I have been there before...
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by LaJose78(m): 8:17pm On Sep 08, 2015
Those are signs of laziness nt signs of loosing interest in ur job.
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by abuhalima(m): 8:28pm On Sep 08, 2015
a job is only a short-term solution to a long-term problem
Re: When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job by sisisioge: 9:10pm On Sep 08, 2015
Found out I ought to quit mine while in training school...finance can really be bossy!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Jumia Staff Suffocated To Death While On Duty (details) / Fred Oyetayo's 24th Birthday Pictures CEO Of Fresible, Lawrepositoryng / Remote Work: Any Hope For Non-Tech Nigerians?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.