Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,650 members, 7,801,893 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:18 AM

What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? - Events - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Events / What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? (42057 Views)

Dog Killed And Beheaded At A Burial In Rivers State (Graphic Photos) / Mad Man Given A Befitting Burial In Kwara State After His Death (Photos) / Women Drinking Beer At A Burial In Enugu, Use Their Teeth As Opener (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by Fhemmmy: 2:58pm On Sep 08, 2015
I am not sure if i have this in the right section but just would like to ask a question that we all mostly never prepared for.

Death will always happen but i have over the years seen that many (Both the dead and the surviving family members) are never prepared for it.

So please what is the average cost of funeral in Nigeria? Be free to break it down by tribe

What are the important checklist to be sure that one is ready whenever you get that phone call that Papa or Mama has passed on.

I know people will say it all depends on each family or the person that died, but i am sure there would be some things they all have in common, quantity will be the only that will be different.

Here is a checklist i know:
Burial Ground (cemetery)
Coffin
Hearse to carry the casket

Please add the rest. . . . . No need to be scared to discuss, we will all get there.
Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by ladyF(f): 3:02pm On Sep 08, 2015
A lot

Canopy chairs, refreshments for service of songs and burial (takes most of cost), transport of corpse, logistics for people travelling, money to settle village people etc

Sorry for your loss *hugs

1 Like

Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by Juxtified(m): 3:03pm On Sep 08, 2015
500k - 2million naira minimum

1 Like

Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by Fhemmmy: 3:05pm On Sep 08, 2015
ladyF:
A lot

Canopy chairs, refreshments for service of songs and burial (takes most of cost), transport of corpse. Money to settle village people etc

Sorry for your loss *hugs

LOl . . . No loss yet oh, just wanna be prepared cos Papa is not getting any younger and i hate surprises . . . Lol
Transportation of the corpse will be the Hearse i believe . . .
Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by Fhemmmy: 3:06pm On Sep 08, 2015
Juxtified:
500k - 2million naira minimum

How did you arrive at this?
Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by MosakuAW(m): 3:11pm On Sep 08, 2015
Zero naira.

Just dig a hole in the dead person's house and bury thats all.

Use the money for burial for something good. The dead knows nothing when they are gone.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by Fhemmmy: 3:12pm On Sep 08, 2015
MosakuAW:

Zero naira.

Just dig a hole in the dead person's house and bury thats all.

Use the money for burial for something good. The dead no nothing when they are gone.

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
The digging will cost money too
The casket or just dig without casket
So at the end of the day, it still wont be zero Naira.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by ladyF(f): 3:15pm On Sep 08, 2015
Fhemmmy:

LOl . . . No loss yet oh, just wanna be prepared cos [b]Papa is not getting any younger and i hate surprises . . . Lol
Transportation of the corpse will be the Hearse i believe . . .[/b]
Lol you are one strange fellow...no one really bothers about burial costs till someone around u dies. Transportation of corpse shouldnt be so expensive, depending on the distance.
Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by MosakuAW(m): 3:16pm On Sep 08, 2015
Fhemmmy:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
The digging will cost money too
The casket or just dig without casket
So at the end of the day, it still wont be zero Naira.

What if the dead was a muslim. You dont need casket. Most people who dig holes for the dead, dont normally collect money.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by Fhemmmy: 3:17pm On Sep 08, 2015
ladyF:

Lol you are one strange fellow...no one really bothers about burial costs till someone around u dies. Transportation of cost shouldnt be so expensive, depending on the distance.

I know and agree about being strange BUT i wanna be prepared since i am yet to be Dangote . . . .Lol
What is the most costly thing, someone said it is the merry merry of feeding the people and the cows killed for such purpose
Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by Fhemmmy: 3:18pm On Sep 08, 2015
MosakuAW:

What if the dead was a muslim. You dont need casket. Most people who dig holes for the dead, dont normally collect money.

You still have to buy the cloth to wrap the dead . . . .
Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by tayebest(m): 3:19pm On Sep 08, 2015
OP, Cost of what? Why wasting your much or less cash on funeral!

Why celebrating the dead??

Why wasting your money on that expensive coffin that will collapse and rot with termite

Why not call ur Imam or pastors to pray for him

If you really have the cash and want to spend on the dead behave, you can buy some things in your church or mosque or have a building in memorial of the dead!

OP i will advice in not spending on meaningless celebration of the dead rather use the money to do somethings in memorial of your father/mother

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by MosakuAW(m): 3:20pm On Sep 08, 2015
Fhemmmy:

You still have to buy the cloth to wrap the dead . . . .
You self like whaala! Go jare grin
Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by Fhemmmy: 3:20pm On Sep 08, 2015
tayebest:
OP, Cost of what? Why wasting your much or less cash on funeral!

Why celebrating the dead??

Why wasting your money on that expensive coffin that will collapse and rot with termite

Why not call ur Imam or pastors to pray for him

If you really have the cash and want to spend on the dead behave, you can buy some things in your church or mosque or have a building in memorial of the dead!

OP i will advice in not spending on meaningless celebration of the dead rather use the money to do somethings in memorial of your father/mother

I wish it was that easy na . . . .But i see the funeral as celebrating their live and not only because they are dead. . . .

1 Like

Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by ladyF(f): 3:22pm On Sep 08, 2015
Fhemmmy:

I know and agree about being strange BUT i wanna be prepared since i am yet to be Dangote . . . .Lol
What is the most costly thing, someone said it is the merry merry of feeding the people and the cows killed for such purpose
Yeh, I think refreshments/feeding will take the most part of the cost compared to other items.
Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by Fhemmmy: 3:22pm On Sep 08, 2015
MosakuAW:

You self like whaala! Go jare grin

DOnt mind me jooo . . . But in all seriousness, it is not a waste of money to do funeral, i see it as celebrating their life and not a waste. . . .so what are the checklist jawe
Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by Fhemmmy: 3:23pm On Sep 08, 2015
ladyF:

Yeh, I think refreshments/feeding will take the most part of the cost compared to other items.

Great . . .
Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by oliverjiad(m): 3:24pm On Sep 08, 2015
Boss u can budget 5m as for papa or mama according to yoruba Ko le ye yin lojo na grin wink

1 Like

Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by Fhemmmy: 3:25pm On Sep 08, 2015
oliverjiad:
Boss u can budget 5m as for papa or mama according to yoruba Ko le ye yin lojo na grin wink

5M Naira . . . . Break it down now, haba
Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by ladyF(f): 3:26pm On Sep 08, 2015
Lol 5m is way too much for a burial. Except u wanna buy a casket for 2m+
Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by Fhemmmy: 3:27pm On Sep 08, 2015
ladyF:
Lol 5m is way too much for a burial. Except u wanna buy a casket for 2m+

I totally agree . . . . That is why i will like people to give idea of cost of this things
Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by tayebest(m): 3:31pm On Sep 08, 2015
Fhemmmy:

I wish it was that easy na . . . .But i see the funeral as celebrating their live and not only because they are dead. . . .

which live are you celebrating?? The lost life or what?

Brother, all this poo are meaningless and not neccessary!

Always pray for them and remembring them all time.

You can use the money for valuable thing

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by ladyF(f): 3:31pm On Sep 08, 2015
Fhemmmy:

I totally agree . . . . That is why i will like people to give idea of cost of this things
Maybe when I get home I will....

But you won't be the only one sponsoring. Family will help. Have no worry smiley
Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by MosakuAW(m): 3:33pm On Sep 08, 2015
Fhemmmy:

DOnt mind me jooo . . . But in all seriousness, it is not a waste of money to do funeral, i see it as celebrating their life and not a waste. . . .so what are the checklist jawe

Posters
Video coverage
Aso ebi for the family
Cow(s)
IV
Hall or playing field (rent)
Musician
Catch rain (herbalist)
Food
Drinks
Church service or Alfa/Imam
Casket
Cementry fee
e.t.c
Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by Fhemmmy: 3:33pm On Sep 08, 2015
ladyF:

Maybe when I get home I will....

But you won't be the only one sponsoring. Family will help. Have no worry smiley

Will be waiting to read from you when you get home . . . . I have learnt that in life, dont expect so you wont be disappointed but if they do, you praise God....
Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by Fhemmmy: 3:35pm On Sep 08, 2015
MosakuAW:

Posters
Video coverage
Aso ebi for the family
Cow(s)
IV
Hall or playing field (rent)
Musician
Catch rain (herbalist)
Food
Drinks
Church service or Alfa/Imam
Casket
Cementry fee
e.t.c

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked That will be inviting more people na, why would we need a poster or you mean the one to put of the Hearse that will carry the casket?
Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by oliverjiad(m): 3:37pm On Sep 08, 2015
Fhemmmy:

5M Naira . . . . Break it down now, haba

Okay

As per menu:#2m
Reception and canopies:500k
Casket and mortuary and undertakers:#300k
Villa base on tradition:#200k
The remaining 2m u can. Keep that aside due to some unaware spending that'll occur along the line,like aso ebi and musician
Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by Fhemmmy: 3:39pm On Sep 08, 2015
oliverjiad:

Okay

As per menu:#2m
Reception and canopies:500k
Casket and mortuary and undertakers:#300k
Villa base on tradition:#200k
The remaining 2m u can. Keep that aside due to some unaware spending that'll occur along the line

Chairman, if people do spend that much, i am sure there would be a lot of unclaimed dead body oh . . . That is a fortune and i think it is way too much jooooo, you want me to fold car business up?
Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by oliverjiad(m): 3:42pm On Sep 08, 2015
Fhemmmy:

Chairman, if people do spend that much, i am sure there would be a lot of unclaimed dead body oh . . . That is a fortune and i think it is way too much jooooo, you want me to fold car business up?
Ahbah God no go gree that ooo Lolz,well I was only checking on the amount u might be needed unto ur level,but really 5m is much,but Ure d boss nah,it shouldn't shake u wink cheesy
Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by MosakuAW(m): 3:43pm On Sep 08, 2015
Fhemmmy:

shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked That will be inviting more people na, why would we need a poster or you mean the one to put of the Hearse that will carry the casket?

Poster is any piece of printed paper
designed to be attached to a wall or vertical
surface. And for the rain catcher, incase there might be rain that day he will help you stopped it from not falling grin
Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by Fhemmmy: 3:44pm On Sep 08, 2015
oliverjiad:
Ahbah God no go gree that ooo Lolz,well I was only checking on the amount u might be needed unto ur level,but really 5m is much,but Ure d boss nah,it shouldn't shake u wink cheesy

God watching you in theatre screen na . . . .We can use one of the ride you clear carry people go venue now
Re: What Is The Average Cost Of Funeral (Burial) In Nigeria And Important Checklist? by Fhemmmy: 3:45pm On Sep 08, 2015
MosakuAW:

Poster is any piece of printed paper
designed to be attached to a wall or vertical
surface. And for the rain catcher, incase there might be rain that day he will help you stopped it from not falling grin

Maybe like few poster sha to put on the vehicles BUT surely not on walls in the neighborhood . . . That na waste of money joooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Woman Caught At A Party, Stealing Celebrant's Gifted Money / Naki Tetteh Shares Her Traditional Marriage Photos / Abuja All White Pool Party 2020 In Pictures (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.