Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,734 members, 7,802,217 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:10 AM

Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users - Webmasters (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users (18813 Views)

Mark Zuckerberg Shares Number Of ACTIVE Users On Facebook, Whatsapp, Instagram / Mark Zuckerberg Departs Nigeria For Kenya (photos) / Pinterest Has Reached 100 Million Active Users Monthly! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by SmartMugu: 5:58pm On Sep 12, 2015
all4naija:

You possibly don't understand what I am talking about. The reason why Facebook chooses South Africa is because of its development and it is benefiting the population there instead of Nigeria that shows larger Facebook users number.
Oh ok. I understand what you meant better now.
Looking at it from a business standpoint though, if I was in their shoes and have a need to penetrate a continent like Africa, I'd start with a place where power is more steady, Internet access is cheap and widely in use, online payment systems are in place, needed man-power is abundant etc.
Their decision to start with SA may have been a result of due diligence they obviously must have done.
Who knows, their next stop may be Nigeria, but of course they'll be sure it wouldn't cost them more than they're likely to make before establishing a venture there.
Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by Nobody: 6:02pm On Sep 12, 2015
SmartMugu:

Oh ok. I understand what you meant better now.
Looking at it from a business standpoint though, if I was in their shoes and have a need to penetrate a continent like Africa, I'd start with a place where power is more steady, Internet access is cheap and widely in use, online payment systems are in place, needed man-power is abundant etc.
Their decision to start with SA may have been a result of due diligence they obviously must have done.
Who knows, their next stop may be Nigeria, but of course they'll be sure it wouldn't cost them more than they're likely to make before establishing a venture there.
That is why I blame the Nigerian leaders for failing to put the right infrastructure in place. Not just Facebook other companies which would have benefited the Nigerian population do the same. I don't like the Nigerian leaders at all. They are too primitive and greedy.

1 Like

Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by j4sure(m): 7:44pm On Sep 12, 2015
engrjacuzzi:
is this an achievement? where countries are going industrialized we are here celebrating Facebook, rape, and corruption

i wonder oooo. what is special to celebrate in d post ooooo
Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by simdam500(m): 8:39pm On Sep 12, 2015
lonelydora: Why won't they? When all our girls now use big phones and Facebook 24 hours a day abandoning their boyfriends.

Lol... are u saying these because your gf is replacing you with Facebook cheesy
Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by simdam500(m): 8:48pm On Sep 12, 2015
Started from the bottom now we are here
Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by lonelydora: 9:32pm On Sep 12, 2015
simdam500:

Lol... are u saying these because your gf is replacing you with Facebook cheesy

I'm sorry. I don't have girlfriend but a lovely wife.
Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by simdam500(m): 9:39pm On Sep 12, 2015
lonelydora:

I'm sorry. I don't have girlfriend but a lovely wife.

Oh then, I'll assume you don't like it if she's surfing the Internet
Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by lonelydora: 9:45pm On Sep 12, 2015
simdam500:

Oh then, I'll assume you don't like it if she's surfing the Internet

She's smart and knows what to do at the right time. I don't have to teach her. She's beautiful and lovely and cooks very well both kitchen and bedroom food. Lol.
Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by simdam500(m): 9:55pm On Sep 12, 2015
lonelydora:

She's smart and knows what to do at the right time. I don't have to teach her. She's beautiful and lovely and cooks very well both kitchen and bedroom food. Lol.

No need for me to doubt you cos you are proud of her,... enjoy your blissful marriage. cheesy

1 Like

Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by kayalla(f): 9:57pm On Sep 12, 2015
oya them wan pay us for abi we go win gold prize?
Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by lonelydora: 10:13pm On Sep 12, 2015
simdam500:

No need for me to doubt you cos you are proud of her,... enjoy your blissful marriage. cheesy

Thank you Sir.

Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by Laird(m): 10:40pm On Sep 12, 2015
NIGERIANS ARE FACEBOOK BIGGEST CUSTOMERS, USERS

BUT THEY CHOOSE TO OPEN THEIR AFRICAN MAIN OFFICE IN SOUTHAFRICA

BECAUSE OF MAYBE

;ELECTRICITY
;GOOD ROADS
;GOOD INFRASTRUCTURE
;EASE OF DOING BUSINESS
;LESS RISK OF . KIDNAPPING AND ABDUCTIONS
;LESS NEEDING TO SETTLE GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS AND TOUTS
Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by Catalyst007(m): 12:05am On Sep 13, 2015
THIS IS BECAUSE IT'S VERY COSTLY DOING DESKTOP /LAPTOP BROWSING. MOBILE SURFING IS MORE ECONOMICAL

WHAT WILL AN AMERICAN BE DOING BROWSING WITH HIS PHONE, WHEN HE CAN USE HIS DESKTOP TO BROWSE ANYTIME, ANY DAY... IN THE COMFORT OF HIS ROOM... OR BROWSE WHILE HAVING A CUP OF COFFEE AT A COFFEE SHOP. DESKTOP VERSIONS OF WEBSITES LOAD ALL FUNCTIONALITIES...

we are proud of this news due to naivety. #Naivety na bast-ard!!! Aside Power, every industrialized country must have a Functioning BROADBAND plan for both urban and rural areas. We're Still light years away people!

'Tis your guy, CATALYST007...
Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by 14(m): 12:09am On Sep 13, 2015
ITbomb:
Nigeria is leading but you open office in South Africa. See una life?

Because South Africa has the largest advertising industry in Africa. Did you check that overall south africa has 12m active FB users?

1 Like

Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by EmekaBlue(m): 6:30am On Sep 13, 2015
not just population but Nigeria r more fun and d entertainment hub of africa if u doubt me y ethiopia no pass kenya
Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by murmee: 10:08am On Sep 13, 2015
ProfEinstein:
Blame it on joblessness embarassed
And large population.
Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by SmartMugu: 8:42pm On Sep 13, 2015
all4naija:

That is why I blame the Nigerian leaders for failing to put the right infrastructure in place. Not just Facebook other companies which would have benefited the Nigerian population do the same. I don't like the Nigerian leaders at all. They are too primitive and greedy.
Yes I agree. Nigeria does have primitive leaders. It appears the same old folks keep coming back everytime with their old ideas. Nigeria can actually be one of the greatest nations in the world. We have everything we need but we lack the right people driving us. You're on point bro.
Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by Nobody: 11:26pm On Sep 13, 2015
SmartMugu:

Yes I agree. Nigeria does have primitive leaders. It appears the same old folks keep coming back everytime with their old ideas. Nigeria can actually be one of the greatest nations in the world. We have everything we need but we lack the right people driving us. You're on point bro.
That is very correct, bro.
Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by MzansiBeat: 11:21am On Sep 15, 2015
You read selectively! SA 12m user/month. Pathetic reporting

Kazrem:
Nigeria has monthly users of 15 million on
Facebook and following behind is Kenya 4.5 million
users in 30 days

Can you imagine? See the difference between the first and the second. If we are to compare the productivity/output/brain work of these 2 countries in Africa, it may be that they are among the lowest.

#MyOpinionThough
Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by MzansiBeat: 11:27am On Sep 15, 2015
[color=#000099][/color][b][/b]YOU HAVE READ THE ARTICLE UPSIDE DOWN. READ IT AGAIN. BY THE WAY WHO SAID FB SHOULD OPEN AN OFFICE IN NIGERIA OTHER THAN ELSEWHERE? IT'S JUST A GOOD BUSINESS DECISION AND FB DIDN'T BASE IT ON EMOTIONS. AND BESIDE NIGERIA IS NOT INVESTOR FRIENDLY.

igbanbajo:
What insult is this? Out of 20m African users of Facebook, 15m are in Nigeria (75%) yet the African office of Facebook was opened in South Africa. (Check second to the last paragraph of the write-up).

So the jobs are in SA but the money is from Nigeria. What's wrong with us? This is why we all need to support the clean up efforts of President Buhari.
May God guide him and his cabinet (when constituted) to take Nigeria to the land of glory desired by us all. Amen.
Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by Nobody: 11:29am On Sep 15, 2015
MzansiBeat:
You read selectively! SA 12m user/month. Pathetic reporting

That is SA active users not monthly users. Nigeria active user might dwarf that 15 million monthly record. Please, stop trying to make it looks as though your country has larger number of users more than Nigeria. Do you know that Nigeria has the largest number of internet users in Africa as well? Don't compare us with your people in those areas.
Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by Nobody: 11:33am On Sep 15, 2015
MzansiBeat:
[color=#000099][/color][b][/b]YOU HAVE READ THE ARTICLE UPSIDE DOWN. READ IT AGAIN. BY THE WAY WHO SAID FB SHOULD OPEN AN OFFICE IN NIGERIA OTHER THAN ELSEWHERE? IT'S JUST A GOOD BUSINESS DECISION AND FB DIDN'T BASE IT ON EMOTIONS. AND BESIDE NIGERIA IS NOT INVESTOR FRIENDLY.

What are you talking about? The reason why Facebook chooses South Africa is probably for the infrastructure and technical know-how. There is nothing to show that Nigeria can not sustain having Facebook regional office.

If Nigeria is not investor-friendly as you claim. Why do we receive more FDI than SA?
Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by MzansiBeat: 11:51am On Sep 15, 2015
FB users ratio/month: SA -> 1 out 4 people. Nigeria ->1 out of 11 people. In favour of SA _(+7)
FB usage penetration rate/month: SA->23%. Nigeria -> 9%. In favour of SA _(+14%)
GDP/capita income: SA-> $7500. Nigeria -> $2500. In favour of SA_(+$5000). Level of financial spend/user.
Profit/ad: in favour of SA.
Band with infrastructure: in favour of SA
Ease of doing business: in favour of SA

Now, people shouldn't get all emotional but must look at facts. Therefore, it makes good business decision for FB to set up shop in RSA.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by 14(m): 12:17pm On Sep 15, 2015
all4naija:
What are you talking about? The reason why Facebook chooses South Africa is probably for the infrastructure and technical know-how. There is nothing to show that Nigeria can not sustain having Facebook regional office.

If Nigeria is not investor-friendly as you claim. Why do we receive more FDI than SA?

which FDI are talking about? nigeria is broke my man, they cannot even pay workers for 8 months. The biggest beneficiary of FDI's into africa is KENYA.

Nigeria is broke, hence JP Morgan ban you from excessing government bond index due to lack of liquidity. Why dont you ask yourself why SOUTH AFRICA is still the only African country in that index. It means SA has a robust economy and liquidity than NIGERIA. Fake economy wont take you anywhere, it will just expose you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by Nobody: 12:23pm On Sep 15, 2015
14:

which FDI are talking about? nigeria is broke my man, they cannot even pay workers for 8 months. The biggest beneficiary of FDI's into africa is KENYA.

Nigeria is broke, hence JP Morgan ban you from excessing government bond index due to lack of liquidity. Why dont you ask yourself why SOUTH AFRICA is still the only African country in that index. It means SA has a robust economy and liquidity than NIGERIA. Fake economy wont take you anywhere, it will just expose you.

Can you, please, explain better what you mean? You might want to see this - http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/79ee41b6-fd84-11e4-b824-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3lnzvmmhG
Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by vandalZA(m): 6:42am On Sep 16, 2015
all4naija:
That is SA active users not monthly users. Nigeria active user might dwarf that 15 million monthly record. Please, stop trying to make it looks as though your country has larger number of users more than Nigeria. Do you know that Nigeria has the largest number of internet users in Africa as well? Don't compare us with your people in those areas.
nothing special let's take the numbers to ratios and see the differences. South Africa out of 50million people 12million of them are Facebook users........Nigeria with a population 180million only 15million of them are Facebook users.....you can see the difference all4kak!

1 Like

Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by RudzSA(m): 2:47pm On Sep 16, 2015
odinese:

Did u just say "more stable power supply"? I doubt it! Nigerians are experiencing better power than south Africa...

Most of nairalanders don't even know wats going on around the world, all u do is to sit ur ass on nairaland from morning till night.
lmao grin grin grin better power than South Africa ? Delusions of grandeur ! You either very stup1d or very Nigerian

1 Like

Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by odinese(m): 2:57pm On Sep 16, 2015
RudzSA:
lmao grin grin grin better power than South Africa ? Delusions of grandeur ! You either very stup1d or very Nigerian

Pls pls hold it...u can't even tell me anything abt ur country coz I have been there and I actually lived in lenasia Jo'burg for 4months so wtf are u talking abt?

Didn't u guys sign $100bn( ur tax payers money) for nuclear plants? So what are u on.
Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by Msauza(m): 3:16pm On Sep 16, 2015
odinese:

Did u just say "more stable power supply"? I doubt it! Nigerians are experiencing better power than south Africa...

Most of nairalanders don't even know wats going on around the world, all u do is to sit ur ass on nairaland from morning till night.

Yet, over 120 million Nigerians don't experience that stable power let alone to see a shining electric bulb. South Africa gives power to over 94% of their.population, that's why they are experiencing 3 hours of load sheddings once a week.
Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by Msauza(m): 3:19pm On Sep 16, 2015
all4naija:

What is good in that when Facebook opened its office in South Africa that trails behind Nigeria in users?! This is why I get angry with the Nigerian leaders for failing to develop the nation. This would have employed the Nigerian population instead of the xenophobic Zulus. angry angry angry angry angry

It has to do more with a country that has most of its population idling without jobs. I guess most South Africans are busy.
Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by odinese(m): 3:23pm On Sep 16, 2015
Msauza:

Yet, over 120 million Nigerians don't experience that stable power let alone to see a shining electric bulb. South Africa gives power to over 94% of their.population, that's why they are experiencing 3 hours of load sheddings once a week.

Pls if u don't know anything abt Nigeria's electricity pls shut up..electricity have really improved in Nigeria this 2015 so wat are u talking abt

Like I said, I have been to sa and u guys are really experiencing power take off...

If u want this argument to go on, maybe u shud come to Nigeria so we can start the comparison.
Re: Facebook Ranks Nigeria, Kenya Top In Africa As Mobile Active Users by Msauza(m): 3:27pm On Sep 16, 2015
odinese:

Pls if u don't know anything abt Nigeria's electricity pls shut up..electricity have really improved in Nigeria this 2015 so wat are u talking abt

Like I said, I have been to sa and u guys are really experiencing power take off...

If u want this argument to go on, maybe u shud come to Nigeria so we can start the comparison.

Nigeria produces only 3000MW of electricity and compare that to 48000 MW that SA produces and you will get the answer.

SA enjoyed the whole month without power cuts

http://www.timeslive.co.za/local/2015/09/06/SA-enjoys-entire-month-without-load-shedding

Load shedding does not mean the power is unstable. Do you call rotational 3hour break of power supply once a week an unstable power? Then there must be something wrong with you. Nigeria must be worse because you guys use generators and you don't even keep them tunning 24 hours, seven days a week. There is a time where you will have to constantly leave the generator to breathe. I mean the break that will even exceed 3hours that South Africans experience once a week and sometimes not. You really must be kidding if you want to compare your power supply to that of. SA.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Are You A BLOGGER And Ned Help With Your Blog, DROP Your URL Here / Pls Help!how Do I Add A Forum Page To My Website? / How To Store Data With javascript / Javascript Cookie Workshop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.