Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,326 members, 7,808,098 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:11 AM

Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? (4071 Views)

Abdulsalami Abubakar Is The Only Hausa Leader Nigeria Ever Had - Reno Omokri / TA Orji Remains One Of The Worst Governors Nigeria Ever Produced – Tony Ukasanya / What Can Nigeria Learn From The BREXIT Debacle? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? by ednut1(m): 8:52pm On Sep 10, 2015
nope. black man no get sense na
Re: Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? by NOBODYY: 8:55pm On Sep 10, 2015
Swaggzkid:

How do u know she is beautiful? undecided nawa 4 u oooo* she ain't get dp sef. Hahahhahahha grin grin grin

So u seff run go check dp?? Hahahhahahha grin grin grin

Well i know her o...she's my sister friend aunty junior sister cousin's Nephew sisters girlfriend's Elder sis
So i sabi her wella
Re: Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? by BlackrulesDworld(m): 8:59pm On Sep 10, 2015
Swaggzkid:
My answer is YES!

But wait before I continue, OP are you a harbinger?

I usually picture Nigeria in that angle, but we have a problem and our problem lies within us and we are the ones to solve that problem. If our so call politicians can desist from stealing. and go to office with a plain mind to move Nigeria forward, I swear with this bottle of guinness extra smooth on my table. Nigeria would have been robbing shoulders with the US and the likes...

If all the stolen money in Nigeria could ever be gathered and utilize from time immemorial back in 1963 when republic was declared till today as am typing. Nigeria won't have only been a first world country, but the richest country in Africa.

Certified!!!

With this i guess i dont need to comment.

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Sep 10, 2015
Given the current lopsided and parasitic structure, NEVER shall we be in the same category as the West and other developed nations.

Running a unitary system of government in a multicultural society is a recipe for disaster and underdevelopment.

The beginning of the healing process is a sovereign national conference where the very foundation of this nation shall be discussed with a view to solving our problems ONCE and forever. But I doubt we have such sincerity and love for one another to take that momentarily tough path. So far we've been playing the ostrich.

OP, almost all those nations you enumerated run a system themselves designed as against ours that was tragically and forcefully created by Lord Lugard and his imperialistic British. Till we speak at the foundation of this nation, there's NO way we can be in the same league with those great nations.

The first step to our greatness is TRUE FEDERALISM. Once we get that we are definitely on the path to development.

If we continue to play the ostrich, this nation surely has no future.

1 Like

Re: Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? by BlackrulesDworld(m): 9:02pm On Sep 10, 2015
asala1:
What is the meaning of First world country?
Nigeria is not a First world Country and can never be a First world country unless you invent a time machine to take us back to the pre-World War II.

BTW South Africa is a First world country.

South wetin??

For there dreams.

Southy the xenophobia masters!!!
Re: Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? by Nobody: 9:03pm On Sep 10, 2015
Given the current lopsided and parasitic structure, NEVER shall we be in the same category as the West and other developed nations.

Running a unitary system of government in a multicultural society is a recipe for disaster and underdevelopment.

The beginning of the healing process is a sovereign national conference where the very foundation of this nation shall be discussed with a view to solving our problems ONCE and forever. But I doubt we have such sincerity and love for one another to take that momentarily tough path. So far we've been playing the ostrich.

OP, almost all those nations you enumerated run a system themselves designed as against ours that was tragically and forcefully created by Lord Lugard and his imperialistic British. Till we speak at the foundation of this nation, there's NO way we can be in the same league with those great nations.

The first step to our greatness is TRUE FEDERALISM. Once we get that we are definitely on the path to development.

If we continue to play the ostrich, this nation surely has no future. But seriously I doubt it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? by adedayourt(m): 9:04pm On Sep 10, 2015
IN THE YEAR 5050
Re: Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? by ISpiksDaTroof: 9:06pm On Sep 10, 2015
Ugomba:
Sometimes, I wonder If Nigeria can ever be a First world nation.
Characteristics of First world countries are:
1) Stable Electric Power Supply 24/7

2) High Standard Education institutions.

3) High employment rate and Low Corruption

4) Good and quality Infrastructures(roads, school, etc)

5) High Life Expectancy

6) Quality Health and Agricultural sector.

7) Low Crime Rate

cool Strong and Diversified Economy

9) Advanced Science and Technology

10) Strong Defence Forces and Good town planning.

Example of First World Countries- USA, Germany etc
Example of Second World countries- South Africa, India, Brazil etc

In your own view, can Nigeria be a First world country and WHEN?

Cc: Lalasticlala, Dearpreye

The North and the South East will never let it happen. One is dense and illiterate, the other is cutthroat, semi-illiterate and shortsighted. It'll never happen since both regions are not destined for greatness.
Re: Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? by Swaggzkid: 9:09pm On Sep 10, 2015
NOBODYY:

So u seff run go check dp?? Hahahhahahha grin grin grin

Well i know her o...she's my sister friend aunty junior sister cousin's Nephew sisters girlfriend's Elder sis
So i sabi her wella

SMH bro you need Jesus
Re: Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? by Ugomba(m): 9:37pm On Sep 10, 2015
dearpreye:

If we continue to play the ostrich, this nation surely has no future. But seriously I doubt it.
you are right but some states can't stand on their own in federalism system.. The North will not agree to federalism, they rejected it at the last confab.
Re: Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Sep 10, 2015
Ugomba:
you are right but some states can't stand on their own in federalism system.. The North will not agree to federalism, they rejected it at the last confab.

The beginning of your comment is totally false. Every state can manage on their own; it's just that the crazy unitary system has jettisoned accountability and production, and has enshrined and encouraged laziness and waste. Every state has something to create and manage with its people.

Actually the NORTH has continued to be albatross on the progress of Nigeria. They've never hidden that fact. There's no meaningful plan and purpose they've not opposed and thwarted. But how long shall we condolences their high handedness? Whatever they oppose is exactly what Nigeria needs to move forward.

Whether now or later, it's either true federalism OR everyone will answer him papa name.
Re: Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? by mikolo80: 10:07pm On Sep 10, 2015
angieberry:
Yep. We have the resources, we have the capability but we have the the wrong people at the front who call themselves leaders.

the most important resource of all

Nigeria is currently experiencing a growth miracle,

which miracle

but we are not able to effectively utilize our resources to cause economic development. Sad but true.
If Singapore could do it, why can't we?
Re: Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? by asala1: 10:45pm On Sep 10, 2015
BlackrulesDworld:

South wetin??

For there dreams.

Southy the xenophobia masters!!!

What is a First world Nation?
Re: Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? by BlackrulesDworld(m): 10:51pm On Sep 10, 2015
asala1:

What is a First world Nation?
A developed country.
Nigeria is a third world nation.
Re: Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? by IGBOSON1: 11:02pm On Sep 10, 2015
Ugomba:
Sometimes, I wonder If Nigeria can ever be a First world nation.
Characteristics of First world countries are:
1) Stable Electric Power Supply 24/7

2) High Standard Education institutions.

3) High employment rate and Low Corruption

4) Good and quality Infrastructures(roads, school, etc)

5) High Life Expectancy

6) Quality Health and Agricultural sector.

7) Low Crime Rate

cool Strong and Diversified Economy

9) Advanced Science and Technology

10) Strong Defence Forces and Good town planning.

Example of First World Countries- USA, Germany etc
Example of Second World countries- South Africa, India, Brazil etc

In your own view, can Nigeria be a First world country and WHEN?

Cc: Lalasticlala, Dearpreye

^^^Bros, you missed out the first piece in the jigsaw puzzle: the enthronement of merit over nepotism, quota-system and federal character! Merit is sine qua non and the foundation on which all first-world countries are built!

Lack of merit is one of the reasons i so dislike this country, and you and i know that for as long as a certain section of the country have their way, and the rest don't speak with one voice and grow a pair of balls to confront them....for as long as this continues, our position as a third-world country is guaranteed to persist!
Re: Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? by angieberry(f): 11:18pm On Sep 10, 2015
mikolo80:

which miracle

A GDP growth rate of over 7% is considered a growth miracle. Economic growth is not really the issue in Nigeria, but economic development. We cannot see the effects of growth in this country. This is because of mismanagement of resources and of course, the high level of corruption. The welfare of Nigerians, especially the poor is still deteriorating , even though our economy is among the top ten economies in Africa.
Re: Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? by asala1: 11:28pm On Sep 10, 2015
BlackrulesDworld:

A developed country.

Nigeria is a third world nation.

The term “third world country” was coined shortly after World War II in the face of the Cold War. Contrary to popular belief, “third” doesn’t refer to the lowest economic third or economic status at all. “First world” refers to the US and its allies, the “second world” to the Soviet Union and its allies, and “third world” to all non-aligned countries.

http://knowledgenuts.com/2013/11/01/the-real-meaning-of-first-world-and-third-world/

Japan is a developed economy but not a First world Nation.
Re: Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? by mikolo80: 1:07am On Sep 11, 2015
angieberry:

A GDP growth rate of over 7% is considered a growth miracle. Economic growth is not really the issue in Nigeria, but economic development. We cannot see the effects of growth in this country. This is because of mismanagement of resources and of course, the high level of corruption. The welfare of Nigerians, especially the poor is still deteriorating , even though our economy is among the top ten economies in Africa.
it's not a miracle in my opinion
oil price was high
no effort on our part
just luck
and we've squandered it
that's why these was...sorry, there is no development
I believe if we were/are serious we could hit 15% growth ( now that would be miraculous)
and we need to stop deceiving ourselves with GDP and start using per capita income to keep score (were currently at 2000 + when we should be aiming for 8 to 45 k dollars) as well as income inequality indices
but you know our ppl
so ignorant so they're easily deceived by lying govt
Re: Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? by c33b33(m): 2:26am On Sep 11, 2015
"We have resources" Which resources? The gold in zamfara? Abi the diamond in Ekiti? Nde oshi!

Oyel!Oyel has blinded every zombie.

IPOB Youth
Re: Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? by Nobody: 3:38am On Sep 11, 2015
I hope you aren't high on burukutu to think that such is possible?

How can Nigeria be among the first world countries when they have someone like BabaGoSlow at the helm of Governance?

It is practically impossible.
Re: Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? by angieberry(f): 7:44am On Sep 11, 2015
A GDP growth rate of 7% and above is economically considered a growth miracle. Like I said, we have economic growth and not economic development in Nigeria so GDP cannot be used to measure living standard.
mikolo80:
oil price was high
no effort on our part
just luck
and we've squandered it
I believe if we were/are serious we could hit 15% growth ( now that would be miraculous)
and we need to stop deceiving ourselves with GDP and start using per capita income to keep score (were currently at 2000 + when we should be aiming for 8 to 45 k dollars) as well as income inequality indices
but you know our ppl
so ignorant so they're easily deceived by lying govt
Re: Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? by bjdon: 8:20am On Sep 11, 2015
Unfortunately the answer would have to be a big fat NO. The following would have to change for there to be any hope:

1: Quota system/Federal Character.
You simply can not have a great country, if you don't have the best minds at the helm of affairs. Until Merit becomes the SOLE criteria for govt appointments, we will never get the best in terms of policy formation and implementation.

2: Structure of the Nation
The current 'rate collection' structure of the Nation can never lead to sustained development. We have a Federal system of expenditure but a Unitary system of revenue allocation. In a proper Federal system the states and LG's are supposed to be 100% autonomous from the FG. With the system we operate state governors just wait for their allocations every month, and can't be bothered to think up revenue earning strategies for their states. We need to practice true Federalism or no Federalism. The current half way house is just a mess.

3: Over centralization
Way too much is centralized at the center (AKA Big Govt). Why should it be the FG's responsibility to provide electricity for example? Why not leave that to the private sector. The same with so many other sectors of the economy from Universities to Ports to trains. In the developed world most of these are either 100% private or in Public-Private partnerships. The size of the FG needs to be radically scaled back.

I fear that the points raised above will never be addressed due to political and ethnic constrains and consequently Nigeria will reamin the 'Almost' country it currently is. A country that is almost great, but just cant seem to get there.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? by mikolo80: 6:56pm On Sep 11, 2015
angieberry:
A GDP growth rate of 7% and above is economically considered a growth miracle. Like I said, we have economic growth and not economic development in Nigeria so GDP cannot be used to measure living standard.
mikolo80 :
oil price was high
no effort on our part
just luck
and we've squandered it
but you know our ppl
so ignorant so they're easily deceived by lying gov
Re: Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? by sinkhole: 7:21pm On Sep 11, 2015
Become first world nation and then what? China with all her development is even fighting not to be called first and we with no development are asking and begging people to call us first! Anyway since we are currently third, then we need to become second before we become first!
Re: Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? by Ugomba(m): 10:42am On Oct 11, 2015
Re: Can Nigeria Ever Be A First World Country? by Nobody: 11:26am On Oct 11, 2015
undecided Only in your dreams grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

BBC, CNN And Aljazera To Cover February 6th Protest / Why We Will Break Nigeria Into Two – Afenifere Leader, Okurounmu / Look At Those Ear Lobes. Which One Is The Real President?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.