Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,967 members, 7,799,288 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:31 PM

Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters (28793 Views)

Bassey Akpan Seeks Amnesty For Looters Of Government Coffers / Buhari To Set Up Special Courts For Looters- The Punch / Southeast Governors Reject Transfer Of Boko Haram Suspects To Anambra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by captianfreeman(m): 3:26am On Sep 11, 2015
MANY governors, who spoke with The PUNCH, on Thursday, out rightly rejected the suggestion that looters of the nation’s resources be sentenced to death.

Organised labour- the Nigerian Labour Congress and the Trade Union Congress-at the beginning of the week said looters should be given the death sentence in order to serve as deterrence to others.

Labour said it was only by killing looters that the anti-corruption crusade being championed by President Muhammadu Buhari could succeed.

But most governors, who reacted to the labour suggestion on Thursday, said the death sentence would be too harsh.

Ogun State Governor Ibikunle Amosun said he would rather canvass that looters be sentenced to life imprisonment, rather than the death sentence prescribed by the organised labour.

Amosun said this while addressing the state workers who had marched to the Oke Mosan state secretariat in Abeokuta to give their backing to Buhari’s anti-corruption crusade.

The state chapters of the NLC and TUC organised the rally.

The governor said, “Everybody knows President Muhammadu Buhari is transparent and meants well for the nation and would never want to hear anything about corruption.

“Even under 100 days in office, electricity is improving. People know that if you try it you are gone. I always say this, whether you are a governor, permanent secretary or labour leader, you cannot be corrupt under a leader that is not corrupt, because you will be punished.

“Unfortunately as a governor, I cannot be saying that capital punishment should be meted out to corrupt public officials. Because I cannot say that, that is why I will say that anybody that is found wanting, whether you are governor or any other public officer should be jailed for life.”

He however said that not only politicians should shun corruption but every Nigerian.

“It is not only politicians that should shun corruption, workers too should not be corrupt,” he said.

His counterpart in Plateau State, Simon Lalong, also said he would rather prefer life imprisonment to death penalty.

Lalong’s Director of Press Affairs, Mr. Emmanuel Nanle, told our correspondent that “in all his discussions, Lalong has never mentioned death sentence. He has always preferred life imprisonment to taking human life because to him life is sacred.”

Also both governors of Ekiti and Rivers states, Ayodele Fayose and Nyesom Wike respectively, out rightly rejected death penalty for looters.

Fayose, who reacted through his Chief Press Secretary, Mr. Idowu Adelusi, said jail sentence was better and capable of reforming thieves.

“In countries where death penalty was introduced, it has not stopped looting. In advanced countries like US, jail sentence is the penalty. What we need is proper moral education to change orientation of the people. Jail sentence is better; it can reform,” he told one of our correspondents in Ado Ekiti, the state capital.

Wike said that Nigeria had enough laws to deter people from fleecing the nation.

The governor, who spoke through his special adviser on media, Opunabo Inko-Tariah, said that the labour unions merely made the recommendation because of the impunity with which public office holders loot the nation’s treasury.

He said, “Nigerians have a role to play by deriding looters and not to praise them for their fiscal irresponsibility. There should be a strong punitive measure to discourage looting because of its domino effects. When a treasury is looted, there won’t be money for the provision of necessities such as hospitals, roads, etc.

“Maybe because it happened in Ghana and the economy improved, the labour organisations want it in Nigeria. But that was a military regime and Jerry Rawlings was a military man. However, the extant laws on looting need serious and urgent review, even if the death penalty is discouraged.”

Governor Olusegun Mimiko of Ondo State said he was comfortable with whatever the people want in relation to punishment for looters.

Mimiko, who spoke through his information commissioner, Kayode Akinmade, said if it was the wish of the people of the country that looters should be killed by law, “so be it’’ but that the process of law must be followed in carrying out such executions.

He said, “We are not under a military rule; this is democracy and we have constitution that we follow. If it is put in the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, irrespective of whether you are a governor or not, so be it. If that is what Nigerians want, it is okay.

“Everybody is against corruption, but there is a process of making law. Thank God we have a National Assembly and the state assemblies who are representative of the people. If such bill could be sent to the national and state assemblies and be passed into law, it must become a law.

“If the process is followed and it is the wish of Nigerians that looters be killed, why not? Let it become a law. It is a fact that Nigerians are not happy with this corruption tag, which has slowed down our economic development but if we have a law that will bring about capital punishment for the looters, it is okay.”

Governor Rauf Aregbesola of Osun State on Thursday declined comment on whether looters should be sentenced to death or not.

Aregbesola’s media aide, Semiu Okanlawon, when contacted, said he did not know the mind of his principal on the matter and promised to contact the governor and get back to our correspondent but Okanlawon had yet to keep the promise as of the time of this report.

Subsequent calls to his mobile telephone line also did not connect.

The Special Adviser (Media and Public Affairs) to Governor Adams Oshiomhole of Edo State, Mr. Kassim Afegbua, told one of our correspondents on the telephone that his principal needed to personally examine the issue of whether to accept death penalty for looters or not because “it requires a process.”

“It has to go through a bill. It has to be an act of parliament and a lot of things would go into it,” he said.

Enugu State governor’s Senior Special Assistant on Public Affairs, Mr. Louis Amoke, said he would also need to consult his principal, Governor Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi, to get his position on the matter.

“I will have to get in touch with him to know his position on the matter, it is very sensitive and I will not talk without finding out from him,” Amoke told our correspondent.

As of the time of this report, Amoke said he had yet to have a contact with the governor.

The Governor of Nasarawa State, Umaru Al-Makura, however, said he supported that capital punishment be meted out to corrupt public office holders.

“I really agree with the NLC over call for capital punishment for any public office holder who is found guilty of looting public funds,” the governor said in an interview with one of our correspondents.

www.punchng.com/govsrejectsdeathpenaltyforlooters

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by Nobody: 3:30am On Sep 11, 2015
Dem all be thief na

82 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by chocolateme(f): 3:30am On Sep 11, 2015
Ok
Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by nnachukz(m): 3:31am On Sep 11, 2015
how will they support it when they are the target. None of them is clean including buhari.

81 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by captianfreeman(m): 3:36am On Sep 11, 2015
chocolateme:
Ok
Baby, how are you?
Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by Pavore9: 3:53am On Sep 11, 2015
'Wike said that Nigeria had enough laws to deter people from fleecing the nation'. Did it stop the looting? Yes, life is sacred and death penalty may not be the appropriate punishment for corrupt officials but they have over time made mockery of the law, whereby they steal and still legally wiggle their out, smiling with their loot. angry

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by ahnie: 3:58am On Sep 11, 2015
E'wuju ati olo'de.

1 Like

Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by swtdrms(m): 4:08am On Sep 11, 2015
All of the posters above commenting didn't read the article but rushed to comment, i don't see anything wrong if the governors still support life imprisonment to death sentence, the main point is that they all support capital punishment to corrupt public office holders be it governor or whoever.Besides two governors are in support of the death sentences so why the erroneous headline? but journalists will always give captivating and erroneous headline to articles since they know majority will not read the article content.

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by menix(m): 4:10am On Sep 11, 2015
My question: Can a prostitute advocate death as punitive measure for fornication?
Birds of same amu cous feathers can be pulled out.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by wytecat: 4:22am On Sep 11, 2015
Who knew that this time would ever come.
The fact that we are even discussing this makes me feel good, almost like a good bedroom stretcher.

Nigeria is almost there!

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by ibedun: 4:29am On Sep 11, 2015
Labour should not relent.

1 Like

Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by disloman(m): 4:34am On Sep 11, 2015
Death penalty will b too harsh.I would have preferred anybody guilty of looting should forfeit. 99% of his total asset n longer jail term.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by kennyman2000(m): 5:21am On Sep 11, 2015
Lol.. They'll never accept death penalty.. You wont be surprised that a whole politician family will be facing death penalty cos most politician wife,children are corrupt

check my signature for ur customised wristband

4 Likes

Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by AdeniyiA(m): 5:24am On Sep 11, 2015
show me a governor who supports the call and I'd show you a governor who wishes to die by hanging.

When did they start to care about the lives of the citizens when, for instance Akpabio commissioned a non functional 'world class hospital' , they're still collecting salaries and emoluments when their workers are dying of poverty undecided

bunch of selfish and shortsighted governors

9 Likes

Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by Ahmed0336(m): 5:32am On Sep 11, 2015
Mimiko of ondo and tanko Al-makura of nasarawa spoke well.
Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by Chiefpriest1(m): 5:39am On Sep 11, 2015
If corrupt people were to be executed, I wonder how many nigerians will remain.

The mechanic who sells fake vehicle parts to you as original is corrupt, the student who lies to his parents and collects excess of his school fees is corrupt.

The small girl in your area whom you send to buy you rice of N100 and she buys 80 and pockets N20 is corrupt.

I could go on and on. Aside that, the human rights community will be on our neck if Nigeria decides to implement capital punishment for corruption.

The laws are already there. Let an ex-governor or president be jailed for just 5 years, it will serve as a warning to the rest.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by Nobody: 5:41am On Sep 11, 2015
Corruption is a menace!
Need anything from Jumia? Contact me now!
Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by FreePath(m): 5:46am On Sep 11, 2015
Bunch of looters

1 Like

Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by Olofintoto(m): 5:49am On Sep 11, 2015
why won't they?
are they saints?
They knw themselves. For we to stop corruption in Nigeria, there must be a big punishment for the looters.
#corruption_must_stop.

1 Like

Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by Chidexter(m): 5:49am On Sep 11, 2015
They Know themselves.
Until Looting and Embezzling attracts death penalty only then shall we have a total transparent/see-through government.

1 Like

Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by omenka(m): 5:53am On Sep 11, 2015
Expecting governors to accept death penalty for looters is like expecting Nigerian musician to accept the ban of usage of "oya baby wine am, shake am" in their songs.

15 Likes

Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by phlemzy: 6:22am On Sep 11, 2015
And this governors feels the penalty is too harsh because they know most of them will have to die after ruling.

2 Likes

Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by otukpo(f): 6:23am On Sep 11, 2015
How will they accept ot.

1 Like

Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by Caseless: 6:30am On Sep 11, 2015
Maybe we should start with jonathan- he needs to be put on that seat in execution room.

1 Like

Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by HyDee001(m): 7:02am On Sep 11, 2015

Our governors be like, "So, it is when it's my turn to chop this national cake with two hands that they want to start this? Gosh forbid. I must chop my share first!"
But as a true Nigerian, I support the death penalty. We have lost so much already. We can not afford to destroy the future of the next generation because of the unbridled greed of a few.
Buhari, death penalty all the way please!

4 Likes

Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by LMAyedun(m): 7:37am On Sep 11, 2015
Is expected.. Criminals.
Nigeria is a Joke.
Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by dave2meek(m): 7:38am On Sep 11, 2015
They should get ready to return their loots
Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by lonelydora: 7:38am On Sep 11, 2015
I support this course totally. Please tell the governors that it is what they are using in China, Malaysia, and recently in North Korea.

Why can't it be implemented in Nigeria? I now believe they have ulterior motives. They should First of all, declare their assets publicly and not like Wike that declared his secretly.

Amaechi said sometime ago, Governors steal because they are not stoned.

1 Like

Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by lekjons(m): 7:38am On Sep 11, 2015
that may mean 'every politician in this country will die'cheesy
then that must be the real 'CHANGE'
Good Development!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by LesbianBoy(m): 7:38am On Sep 11, 2015
I am sure even buhari sef will reject it! They are all the same! Forget buhari and his integrity bullsh*t! Only complete fools will believe buhari is completely 'clean' and has integrity Lol

Meanwhile....

Has anyone been able to locate buhari's land in port harcourt
Re: Governors Reject Death Penalty For Looters by SammieLowkey(m): 7:39am On Sep 11, 2015
Lol..shebi dey said clear conscience fears no accusation. Why are they now ''fearing''
Obviously this N**gas got plans..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

EndSARS: Nsukka Joins Protest (Photos) / Amina Ali Flies Presidential Jet To Meet Buhari / Suicide Bombers Attack Mammanti In Borno, 2 Dead (Viewers' Discretion Advised)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.