Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,234 members, 7,807,780 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:04 PM

Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje (18450 Views)

"President Buhari's First Photo In 68 Days Since He Left For UK" - Shehu Ashaka / SAFINATU, The Story Of Buhari’s First Wife - photos / 5 Impersonators Of Salisu Buhari, Buhari’s First Son Denied Bail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by kaboninc(m): 11:14am On Sep 11, 2015
Buhari’s first 100 days - Opeyemi Agbaje

As President Muhammadu Buhari’s 100 days in office approached, a curious drama opened when Femi Adesina, the president’s special adviser on media and publicity, claimed after 75 days that Buhari’s party and not the president it was that promised a public declaration of his assets. The crisis in the National Assembly had purportedly been predicated on party supremacy, so Adesina’s point was not quite clear. What was clear was that the president seemed to have second thoughts about the matter! Within days of inauguration, Garba Shehu, the other presidential spokesman (by the way, does anyone know how Adesina and Shehu’s duties are demarcated?), tried to extricate Buhari from the promise by asking anyone interested in the declaration to make a Freedom of Information (FOI) request to the Code of Conduct Bureau (CCB). Shehu’s position was disingenuous because CCB’s position that it could not entertain such FOI requests until a specific law is enacted was well known.

Days to the anniversary, Shehu then wrote an article disclaiming two documents which underpinned expectations of public assets declaration – “One Hundred Things Buhari Will Do in 100 Days” and “My Covenant With Nigerians” – while APC spokesman, “omnipresent” and “omni-speaking” Lai Muhammed, suggested on TV that Buhari made no promises whatsoever to Nigerians! When protests hit the public space due to these shocking statements, Buhari’s strategists executed an about-turn as the president released a list of his possessions without ascribing value to the non-monetary assets. So the president owns houses in Abuja, Kano, Kaduna and Daura as well as plots of land in Kano and Port-Harcourt, but we have no idea of their value! He has 270 cows and a “variety” of “birds” also of unspecified value. When some newspapers reported Buhari’s worth as “less than N30 million” based only on cash in the bank, it was deliberate falsehood! In my most charitable assessment, the whole affair rises to the level of duplicity and deception![/b][/color]

The attempt to disclaim expectations from Buhari’s first 100 days was in any event misplaced – even if candidate Buhari and/or his party made no 100-day promises, citizens and analysts would still examine the president’s early performance; as they say, morning shows the day!

Meanwhile, having contradicted himself on the record multiple times, few intelligent people are likely to believe any statements made by Garba Shehu in the future!

Buhari appears to have made some good appointments – I think Ibe Kachikwu is a good fit at NNPC and has the right insights about reforming the corporation and the sector.[/color][/b] It is unfortunate that Buhari pre-empted him by arguing against fuel subsidy removal and privatization of refineries, probably prompting Kachikwu to toe the same line in relation to the refineries, but if Kachikwu comes to a similar conclusion on subsidies, at a time oil prices are below $50 per barrel, his credibility would be lost. The selection of Tunde Fowler to reform federal taxes is also a good choice as he helped turn Lagos into the country’s most effective tax state. The appointment of service chiefs has been well-received and the appointees appear to be credible professionals who can help resolve Nigeria’s critical security challenges.

I cannot say the same for controversial appointments at Department of State Security (DSS), Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON) and Customs! The reservations about the constitutionality of some appointments (INEC and AMCON) are well-grounded and some (INEC and DSS) appear tainted with nepotism.[/color][/b]

Generally, Buhari appears to be re-validating his record as a regional chauvinist given the pattern of his appointments. Having constituted the apex of his administration, he has centralized power in the North; it is probably naïve to hope the perceived lopsidedness will be redressed in future appointments – you are unlikely to redress power imbalance at the top with inferior appointments! Appointment of ministers from the 36 states is a constitutional mandate and cannot redress imbalance in powerful discretional appointments. We recall that during his US visit, Buhari articulated a “97 percent and 5 percent” theory and noted that he had no choice regarding spread of some constitutional positions. It is strange to justify predominance of Northern appointments based on merit because such pattern is not replicated in the private sector, professions, corporate sector and academia!

I’m sure some will be surprised when I say that I am yet to observe any war against corruption! All I see thus far is a continuing media campaign against ex-President Jonathan and his team! When a war against corruption commences, a credible attorney-general will be appointed; prosecution of corrupt persons across the political spectrum will commence; and structural and strategic actions such as enactment of a Whistle Blower Protection Act and other intelligent actions to deal with, and prevent, corruption will be embarked upon. Unsubstantiated announcements by party spokesmen, governors and sundry persons about “one minister stole $6 billion”, “trillions of naira missing”, “billions of dollars were stolen”, “Chinese loan was diverted”, etc. are not evidence of a war against corruption. I hope government will soon commence effective steps to hold people accountable for past, present and future corruption; and assume what we are witnessing is perhaps “pre-war” mobilization of Nigerians for the anti-corruption war to come.[/color][/b]

Thankfully, a war against “Boko Haram” is now evident, but the terrorists have killed probably up to 1,000 Nigerians in Buhari’s first 100 days! I do not yet see any strategy beyond the conventional domestic and multinational military approach, whereas the conflict has again evolved requiring in addition a focus on an intelligence-led counter-insurgency strategy. I expect Buhari to suppress the military might of the terrorists within a short while, but government must penetrate and destroy the group and disable its ability to blow up people. Most critically, government must not allow Boko Haram migrate outside its current base.

[b]Buhari has ruled Nigeria for 100 days without a cabinet; in effect, a de facto sole administrator, and many states have followed his example. I do not think this development is positive for our democratic development. It has allowed Buhari to singularly decide all appointments; make policy (including deciding to start a national airline!) and, most critically, absence of a policy team and coherent policy direction has had severe economic costs in declining capital markets, pressure on currencies, slowdown of foreign investment and falling output. In the absence of fiscal and economic policy, CBN has become sole theatre of policy formulation executing trade, industrial and broad economic policy. Nigeria’s GDP growth rate is declining precipitously and jobs figures are getting worse, not better! It seems clear that cabinet constitution was delayed simply to outwit other factions in the ruling APC in favour of the president’s core. Nigeria has paid a high economic cost for political subterfuge. I support the fiscal stimulus represented by the “bail-out” of the states given the state of the economy and in the interest of workers whose salaries had not been paid for several months, but it may have been useful if the fiscal reprieve came with some “conditionalities” to prevent recurrence in future! I support the Treasury Single Account as a public financial management tool, but no one is calibrating implementation to prevent dangers to financial sector stability, or measuring the implication for monetary policy.[/b]

My sense is that in the first 100 days, President Buhari has missed several opportunities – an opportunity to leverage massive domestic and international goodwill into economic advantages through policy reforms and massive FDI; while coherent policy remains lacking, a de facto trend towards regressive, government-controlled, neo-nationalist economic policy is emerging; an opportunity to become a national leader and unifier rather than provincial champion is been spurned and Buhari is receding into usual regional patterns; he visited the US without a cabinet (instead with Governors Okorocha, Oshiomhole and Al-Makura) and without policy except for help to recover an inchoate $150 billion loot. It is possible to reclaim these missed opportunities in the weeks and months to come.

Opeyemi Agbaje

http://businessdayonline.com/2015/09/buharis-first-100-days/

65 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by Abbeyme: 11:24am On Sep 11, 2015
Respect to you!!!

I love this acumen and straight to the point critique...

Not some other noisemakers and doom-spellers

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by kaboninc(m): 11:25am On Sep 11, 2015
truckpusher,mizmycoli,jmaine,ECOTERRORS,dunkem21,whynotthetruth,Severussnape,LMayedun,tomakint,HzrF,chukwudi44,taktimi,huangcheng,tola9jaa, LieDetector, freedom96, tola9ja, musiwax, GOATandYAMtheory, LLED, socialmediaman, midolian, TheFilmmaker, BUHARIWILLWIN, Jesusloveyou, dein77, Collynzo419, MuhdG, agabusta, medamillion, IbnSultaan, patrickmuf, koboko69, jpphilips, Gbawe, Mynd44, NgeneUkwenu, Beremx, Obiageli, Francizy, Anonimi, dearPreye, okotv

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by kaboninc(m): 11:26am On Sep 11, 2015
Abbeyme:
Respect to you!!!

I love this acumen and straight to the point critique...

Not some other noisemakers and doom-spellers

This is the best article ever written by any individual on the 100 days spent by President Buhari in office.

23 Likes

Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by MizMyColi(f): 11:27am On Sep 11, 2015
Balanced and Non-Parochial writ.
Spot on!

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by kaboninc(m): 11:37am On Sep 11, 2015
MizMyColi:
Balanced and Non-Parochial writ.
Spot on!

I hope President Buhari reads it!

11 Likes

Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by okotv(m): 11:43am On Sep 11, 2015
kaboninc:

I hope President Buhari reads it!
I thought you guys argued the other day that Buhari has done nothing. He isn't perfect and allowed mistakes. Nice write up by the way.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by Nobody: 11:49am On Sep 11, 2015
OP the colors makes it very difficult to read, i actually couldn't read much out of it. Please remove all colors and simply use bold font instead. I'll comment on the topic when that is done.

Cheers.
Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by Bevista: 11:49am On Sep 11, 2015
Generally, Buhari appears to be re-validating his record as a regional chauvinist given the pattern of his appointments. Having constituted the apex of his administration, he has centralized power in the North;
Under PGEJ :

SGF - (South/Christian)
DSS - (South/Christian)
NSA - (South/Christian)
COS - (South/Christian)
FIRS - (South/Christian)
CDS - (South/Christian)
COAS - (South/Christian)
CBN - (South/Christian)
AMCON - (South/Christian)
NIMASA - (South/Christian)
NSE - (South/Christian)
SEC - (South/Christian)
Min of Finance - (South/Christian)
Min of Agric - (South/Christian)
Min of Works - (South/Christian)
Min of Petroleum - (South/Christian)
**Just to name a few**

All very sensitive portfolios. All the "juicy" ministries were manned by southerners/Christians, yet PMB has a pastor as his SGF.

Infact, Nigeria's finances was basically in the hands of southerners (especially our Igbo brothers):

Min of Finance - Ngozi O Iweala (Igbo)
CBN - Godwin Emefile - (Igbo)
SEC - Aruma Oteh
NSE - Oscar Onyema (Igbo)
AMCON - Mustafa Chike-Obi (Igbo)
PENCOM - Reuben Omotowa
FIRS - Ifueko Omogui
NMRC - Charles Inyangette
DG, Budget Office - Bright Okogu (Igbo)

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by freedom96: 11:53am On Sep 11, 2015
I'm not gonna read it undecided .....all I know is....

Sai Buhaari,day or night,peace or war,summer or winter! cool

16 Likes

Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by kaboninc(m): 11:56am On Sep 11, 2015
huangcheng:
OP the colors makes it very difficult to read, i actually couldn't read much out of it. Please remove all colors and simply use bold font instead. I'll comment on the topic when that is done.

Cheers.

Sir, the colours are for a reason....and if you can't read it, ask someone to please help you.

Cheers! wink wink

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by kaboninc(m): 11:57am On Sep 11, 2015
okotv:
I thought you guys argued the other day that Buhari has done nothing. He isn't perfect and allowed mistakes. Nice write up by the way.

Has he? wink wink wink

5 Likes

Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by kaboninc(m): 12:00pm On Sep 11, 2015
lalasticlala...

Please take this to the front page.

It is far from the spin contents we read everyday. It is balanced, apt, focused and straight to the point.

Thanks as you do wink wink

4 Likes

Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by ERODEDEAST(f): 12:09pm On Sep 11, 2015
For the lazy readers

Bull.ari has killed Nigeria. #PATAPATA

33 Likes

Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by okotv(m): 12:27pm On Sep 11, 2015
kaboninc:

Has he? wink wink wink
The credible appointments mentioned were made by who

Let me be straight with you and ask this sane question, what was the state of Nigeria before Buhari took over

5 Likes

Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by Whynotthetruth(m): 12:32pm On Sep 11, 2015
Bevista:
Under PGEJ :

SGF - (South/Christian)
DSS - (South/Christian)
NSA - (South/Christian)
COS - (South/Christian)
FIRS - (South/Christian)
AMCON - (South/Christian)
NSE - (South/Christian)
SEC - (South/Christian)
Min of Finance - (South/Christian)
Min of Agric - (South/Christian)
Min of Works - (South/Christian)
Min of Petroleum - (South/Christian)

All very sensitive positions.

A simple question for you here; Was any region missing in Jonathan's security council meeting ...If none, then why is it so in buhari's?

BTW a smart chap will match the offices already appointed by buhari against their counterparts under Jonathan not listing portfolios indiscriminately as you did undecided

27 Likes

Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by Whynotthetruth(m): 12:36pm On Sep 11, 2015
okotv:

Let me be straight with you and ask this sane question, what was the state of Nigeria before Buhari took over

You're back again cheesy Why not pick up those answers and questions posed to you by me last time to see solution to your question here...Or you just enjoy running in circles? cheesy

11 Likes

Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by okotv(m): 12:46pm On Sep 11, 2015
Whynotthetruth:

You're back again cheesy Why not pick up those answers and questions posed to you by me last time to see solution to your question here...Or you just enjoy running in circles? cheesy
let me not derail the thread abeg but I ain't running in circles.
Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by Whynotthetruth(m): 1:01pm On Sep 11, 2015
okotv:
let me not derail the thread abeg but I ain't running in circles.

It won't derail because it is still part of buhari and his governance of Nigeria...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by kaboninc(m): 2:32pm On Sep 11, 2015
okotv:

Lol. Which credible appointment? Ibe Kaichukwu? Did you read the thought of the writer about President Buhari preempting the status of fuel subsidy which at one time, the GMD advocated for the removal only to go back full circle saying the subsidy should stay?

Or you mean the appointments in DSS, INEC & AMCOM, CUSTOMS? Hmmmm....organ oh

The state of the economy was no where what it is now. A responsible and responsive government takes steps and proactive actions to ensure that things do not deteriorate. A well prepared candidate already has a blueprint of key decisions to take and key appointments to make.

That is what you mean when you say you've hit the ground running!

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by Jesusloveyou: 2:57pm On Sep 11, 2015
ERODEDEAST:
For the lazy readers

Bull.ari has killed Nigeria. #PATAPATA
can't u see how everything look calm and bright, nobody is talking about how fg is corrupt when u have honest man as a leader

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by frankwells(f): 3:03pm On Sep 11, 2015
k
Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by lekjons(m): 3:04pm On Sep 11, 2015
despite everyone saying the post makes sense..
i still didn't read it..gringringringrin

may God help me!grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by tolexy007(m): 3:04pm On Sep 11, 2015
cant read this is too much, let someone giv me the summary
Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by itsIYKE(m): 3:04pm On Sep 11, 2015
Cluelessness...
Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by godoluwa(m): 3:05pm On Sep 11, 2015
ok
Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by AmakaDNBStories(f): 3:05pm On Sep 11, 2015
OK na
Check my signature
Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by Flashh: 3:05pm On Sep 11, 2015
ERODEDEAST:
[s] For the lazy readers

Bull.ari has killed Nigeria. #PATAPATA [/s]

We need people that are knowledgeable on Nairaland not thrash posters like this. angry angry

8 Likes

Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by kayboy4y(m): 3:06pm On Sep 11, 2015
cheesy
Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by okotv(m): 3:06pm On Sep 11, 2015
kaboninc:

Lol. Which credible appointment? Ibe Kaichukwu? Did you read the thought of the writer about President Buhari preempting the status of fuel subsidy which at one time, the GMD advocated for the removal only to go back full circle saying the subsidy should stay?

Or you mean the appointments in DSS, INEC & AMCOM, CUSTOMS? Hmmmm....organ oh

The state of the economy was no where what it is now. A responsible and responsive government takes steps and proactive actions to ensure that things do not deteriorate. A well prepared candidate already has a blueprint of key decisions to take and key appointments to make.

That is what you mean when you say you've hit the ground running!
Like I earlier posited, Buhari is allowed some mistakes. The writer can also be biased in writing but then who cares.

My only relationship with Buhari is cause he is the President and C in C.

My candidate during the election was from NCP and he was the most qualified yet he lost.
Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by Jesusloveyou: 3:08pm On Sep 11, 2015
kaboninc:
truckpusher,mizmycoli,jmaine,ECOTERRORS,dunkem21,whynotthetruth,Severussnape,LMayedun,tomakint,HzrF,chukwudi44,taktimi,huangcheng,tola9jaa, LieDetector, freedom96, tola9ja, musiwax, GOATandYAMtheory, LLED, socialmediaman, midolian, TheFilmmaker, BUHARIWILLWIN, Jesusloveyou, dein77, Collynzo419, MuhdG, agabusta, medamillion, IbnSultaan, patrickmuf, koboko69, jpphilips, Gbawe, Mynd44, NgeneUkwenu, Beremx, Obiageli, Francizy, Anonimi, dearPreye, okotv
what gives me happiness everyday is the fact that no money wil miss again, nobody is talking about how d president is corrupt, everything look calm and bright, our hope of making a great nation is bright, we are better off than before. Hope Alive

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s First 100 Days - Opeyemi Agbaje by osothermal(m): 3:08pm On Sep 11, 2015
We the youth states men are watching from Brazil

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PDP Presidential Rally Latest Form Of MMM In Town, Say Arewa Youth Group / Governor Zulum Celebrates 100days In Office With 120 Completed Projects / Soludo Attack: We Have Arrested One Suspect - Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.