Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,253 members, 7,807,863 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:58 PM

Why Do Women bear Their Husband's Surname? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Women bear Their Husband's Surname? (3291 Views)

Ooni Of Ife's Wives As They Prepare To Bury Their Husband (photos) / Why do Nigerian Women Bear Their Father's Name, After Marriage? / Married Women Using Their Husband's First Name As Their Middle Name (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Women bear Their Husband's Surname? by micdad: 6:06am On Apr 08, 2009
Some women has a serious problem taking on a man lastname after marriage. Can somebody explain to me why women take on men lastname?
Re: Why Do Women bear Their Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 8:18am On Apr 08, 2009
the title and body of this thread are not in sync.

but anyways, what name they choose to take is the least of my worries. no big deal
Re: Why Do Women bear Their Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 8:44am On Apr 08, 2009
micdad:

Some women has a serious problem taking on a man lastname after marriage. Can somebody explain to me why women take on men lastname?

Your thread title and contents don't match. undecided

I'd edit both, right now, they make little sense.
Re: Why Do Women bear Their Husband's Surname? by ezeagu(m): 7:26pm On Apr 08, 2009
Siena:

Your thread title and contents don't match. undecided

I'd edit both, right now, they make little sense.

I think the person is asking why women have to bear mens surnames when their married, @ post, you need to edit it.
Re: Why Do Women bear Their Husband's Surname? by Ndipe(m): 8:45pm On Apr 08, 2009
Why shouldnt they?
Re: Why Do Women bear Their Husband's Surname? by micdad: 5:15am On Apr 09, 2009
Its a simple question guys sry if it's a little confusing (english is my second language). What I'm trying to say is that why has it become a tradition that women change their lastname/surname to the man they get married to?
Re: Why Do Women bear Their Husband's Surname? by OluBee2: 5:59pm On Apr 24, 2009
micdad, but think about it, what will happen if married woman didn't drop their father's name and start bearing same as their husband. I have no clue how it becomes to being o, but come to think of it, it is something that has been for a very looooooong time. And I guess that way, it will be easier to know who the son/daughter of whom individual are. But if you think of anyother reason why it shouldn't be so, common lets hear it. Cheers
Re: Why Do Women bear Their Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 6:07am On Jul 07, 2009
Ndipe:

Why shouldnt they?

Because it is a EUROPEAN culture and we should not be foolishly adopting useless European cultures for no reason.
Re: Why Do Women bear Their Husband's Surname? by sexyLeamon(f): 7:26am On Jul 08, 2009
sugabelly:

Because it is a EUROPEAN culture and we should not be foolishly adopting useless European cultures for no reason.
there are some Africans who do not even watch TV yet they bear their Husband last name. now tell me which culture are they following?
Re: Why Do Women bear Their Husband's Surname? by Beaf: 10:02am On Jul 08, 2009
sexyLeamon:

there are some Africans who do not even watch TV yet they bear their Husband last name. now tell me which culture are they following?

That doesnt stop it from being European. There are some Africans who don't watch tv and yet are called "Paul".
Re: Why Do Women bear Their Husband's Surname? by Beaf: 10:14am On Jul 08, 2009
Personally, I'm not bothered with what name my wife answers (as long as its mine or hers!!). In fact she started out with her own name, then graduated to a compound name, now its just my surname. Society has its ways of pressuring certain things. grin
Re: Why Do Women bear Their Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jul 08, 2009
I don't really care whether it is European or not, but I believe a woman who wants to keep her maiden name should not meet oppositions. It's her identity and it's her right to maintain it.
Re: Why Do Women bear Their Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 1:38am On Jul 09, 2009
sexyLeamon:

When the European missionaries came to Africa TV had not yet been invented. Olodo. We've been copying the Europeans for hundreds of years because we copy what our parents do and they copied what their parents were taught by the Europeans.
Re: Why Do Women bear Their Husband's Surname? by Ndipe(m): 10:15pm On Jul 09, 2009
sugabelly:

Well, dont type in English Language because it is a European Language
Re: Why Do Women bear Their Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 11:55pm On Jul 09, 2009
Ndipe:

Well, dont type in English Language because it is a European Language

Don't be silly. English is not the only language I speak. The only reason I'm typing in English is because I don't know you and I don't know what languages you speak and there's a good chance you speak English.
Re: Why Do Women bear Their Husband's Surname? by Ndipe(m): 12:45am On Jul 10, 2009
sugabelly:

Don't be silly. English is not the only language I speak. The only reason I'm typing in English is because I don't know you and I don't know what languages you speak and there's a good chance you speak English.

A good chance? Well, if I write in English Language, shouldnt that be solid proof that I also speak the language. And please dont take the easy way route for expressing yourself in English Language. The likes of Ngugi Wa Thiongo have abandoned the colonial language in favor of their native dialect. You can do the same too.
Re: Why Do Women bear Their Husband's Surname? by Nobody: 4:18am On Jul 10, 2009
Ndipe:

A good chance? Well, if I write in English Language, shouldnt that be solid proof that I also speak the language. And please dont take the easy way route for expressing yourself in English Language. The likes of Ngugi Wa Thiongo have abandoned the colonial language in favor of their native dialect. You can do the same too.

Wow, look how smart you are. I'm expressing myself to YOU aren't I? Or am I also supposed to use my magical powers to decipher what languages you also speak through your internet connection?

Seriously, think about it. Humans speak different languages to people that understand them. If they don't know what languages you speak, they try to speak the one that you are most likely to understand. And since you already replied me in English, then I correctly assumed you can speak English.

Don't try to play daft mind games. It's not a good look.
Re: Why Do Women bear Their Husband's Surname? by Beaf: 1:30am On Jul 11, 2009
@sugabelly.
Don't mind the yeye man, his real name is Bonny Paulinus. . . So his wife just decided to stick with her maiden name. grin Na im de pain am!

(1) (Reply)

The Pains In Romance And Marriage Among Igbos. / New Gay Boy Group In Abuja Nigeria / Igbo Progenitor Story Vs Yoruba Progenitor Story, Facts & Fiction

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.