Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,460 members, 7,781,325 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:31 PM

Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera (23292 Views)

Kayode Ogundamisi Na Brown Envelope Journalist / Nigeria's Brown Envelope Journalists (video) / Brown Envelope Journalism, TB Joshua Press Bribery -al Jazeera Documentary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by EasternLionn: 11:50pm On Sep 13, 2015
Corruption has eaten deeply into the fabric of Nigerian society, so it's no wonder [journalists] have been infected as well by this disease.

Among some of the worst paid reporters in Africa, Nigerian journalists are seldom given money to cover travel or other expenses, let alone paid their salary on time.

Affecting the way stories are reported, some of the country's most pressing events have either gone unnoticed or underreported.

Amid this climate where investigative journalism is severely stifled, corrupt and illicit practices have begun to flourish.

Reporters are often seen waiting for cash handouts from politicians and government officials at press conferences before rarely questioning them or fact-checking.

And in a country where corruption tends to trickle from the top down, it is becoming harder for readers to distinguish fact from fiction.

The Listening Post's Nic Muirhead travelled to Lagos, Nigeria's media capital, to report on 'brown envelope journalism.'

Source: Al Jazeera
http://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/listeningpost/2015/09/nigeria-brown-envelope-journalists-150913113556304.html

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by DjAndroid: 12:10am On Sep 14, 2015
Journalism in Nigeria: very high risk, very poor remuneration! Honestly, I don't blame them.

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by dhantey324(m): 12:13am On Sep 14, 2015
With this administration in power, we expect more high level government lies...

80 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by FreeGlobe(f): 12:14am On Sep 14, 2015
credit goes to APC for this trend. It's a pity that most unintelligent Nigerian youths have fallen prey to this journos and their organizations.

96 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by yanabasee(m): 12:24am On Sep 14, 2015
APC/Buhari using Journalists and Media outlets to mislead the masses... Turning the whole system to a brown-envelope system! The heavier the envelope, the more suitable the propaganda.

75 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by redvektor(m): 12:26am On Sep 14, 2015
breeze don blow
fowl yansh Don open

today is bday I need likes

81 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by Brooklynsouth(f): 12:34am On Sep 14, 2015
And u know the tribe notable 4 this brown envelope journalism? Aans YEYOBA

68 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by mikolo80: 2:21am On Sep 14, 2015
DjAndroid:
Journalism in Nigeria: very high risk, very poor remuneration! Honestly, I don't blame them.
same all over the world.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by funkybully(f): 4:26am On Sep 14, 2015
Apc and yoloba Lagos - ibadan press putshed Nigeria journalism into this mess

52 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by docadams: 5:27am On Sep 14, 2015
Journalism in naija has become an essential commodity. It usually goes to the highest bidder. Al Jazeera failed to add that it is sometimes used as a tool for blackmail.

36 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by free2ryhme: 6:02am On Sep 14, 2015
shocked

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by omowolewa: 6:06am On Sep 14, 2015
The existence of tout, agents and poor regulation by their umbrella body as well as poor remuneration would sniff quality out of Nigerian journalism.

Ironically, journalism is very important to anti-graft war.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by kheart(m): 6:12am On Sep 14, 2015
CNN, BBC and even dis phuck up Aljazeera re ll guilty of the crime. Although brown envelope might not be involved but high class Propaganda also distort info. So na d same thing

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by Image123(m): 6:47am On Sep 14, 2015
Journalism is virtually nonexistent outside the southwest of Nigeria asides some major towns. Even the southwest journalism is nothing to write abroad about evidently.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:07am On Sep 14, 2015
FreeGlobe:
credit goes to APC for this trend. It's a pity that most unintelligent Nigerian youths have fallen prey to this journos and their organizations.
Rubbish!

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by Wildrage: 7:09am On Sep 14, 2015
Although brown envelope has always been part of our journalistic tradition since the 80s, APC with their brand of politics elevated it to a national crisis in the last five years, the advent of social media and online journalism has also exacerbated the phenomenon. A situation where you can be anonymous and unreachable has emboldened many faceless online journalist who just dump any junk they fancy through their medium for the unsuspecting and highly impressionable consumers who gobble it down without sifting the lies

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by chronique(m): 7:10am On Sep 14, 2015
Journalism in Nigeria is trash. It's so bad that when you read a news item,you'd have to wait for at least a week to know if it is true or not cos the chances of that article having a rebuttal is as high as 95%. Nigeria is in chaos at the moment but we do not know it. The history of this nation has forever been altered and destroyed so much that the next generation will never get to know the truth about Nigeria. No thanks to the politicians and the hungry/devilish Nigerian journalists.

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by sdindan: 7:10am On Sep 14, 2015
we know

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:14am On Sep 14, 2015
kheart:
CNN, BBC and even dis phuck up Aljazeera re ll guilty of the crime. Although brown envelope might not be involved but high class Propaganda also distort info. So na d same thing
Thank you. It's unfortunate that some ill-informed e-warrior are not well-read to know the New World Information Communication Order (NWICO) floated by the Third World Countries, to address the lopsidedness in the flow of information. The West use their media to give negative view of Africa.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by Opinedecandid(m): 7:16am On Sep 14, 2015
This is the reason for all shades of journalism:
Yellow, blue, green, back, but of course, not white.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by yang(m): 7:17am On Sep 14, 2015
Of course

This is what Director has been saying

The Zoo Journalism is Garbage

The Lagos Ibadan Express way take brown envelope and write garbage

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by Pavore9: 7:20am On Sep 14, 2015
The highest bidder dictates the direction of the story! angry

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by Jwhizzy(m): 7:25am On Sep 14, 2015
And who made Al Jazeerah judge and juror? Nigerian journalists are corrupt and stories are up for sale to the highest bidder, but western journalism is not any different as it promotes propaganda a la Fox News and its openly anti-Obama stance.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by highmood(m): 7:31am On Sep 14, 2015
We know this for long Aljazeera. They are the whistle blowers of corruption when brown envelopes never get to them, yet they are among the greatest beneficiaries of the proceeds of corruption.
For me, many Nigerian journalists contributed to the decay we have in the country today.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by CR77(f): 7:31am On Sep 14, 2015
angry We know before angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by BCISLTD: 7:32am On Sep 14, 2015
angry reading some few comments above me...I'm reminded why I rue being born nigerian. ....we have some of the silliest people on earth. ..

Check my signature Call or whatsapp

https://www.nairaland.com/2582274/toks-2008-toyota-fj-cruiser

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by itsIYKE(m): 7:32am On Sep 14, 2015
Journalism in nigeria is extremely factionalised.......the highest bidder gets the loyalty.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by dave2meek(m): 7:32am On Sep 14, 2015
D

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by cyberdurable(m): 7:32am On Sep 14, 2015
Lol naija I hail thee

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 'brown Envelope' Journalists - Aljazeera by mayorjosh(m): 7:33am On Sep 14, 2015
Make I park my lamboghini here

My ford mustang here

My g wagon here

My porsche here

My bicycle here.

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari: President And Assets Declaration Fraud" - By Chinedu Nwobu (Daily Times) / Bukola Saraki Visits Tony Anenih (Photos) / Unknown Gunmen Behead Ebubeagu Security Operative In Ebonyi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.