Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,883 members, 7,802,852 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:17 PM

Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? (5160 Views)

Any Guy Who Doesn't Have A House And A Car Should Not Get Married Or Even Date! / Dating Someone Who Doesn't Have A Car Is....inconvenient" / Loving Someone Who Doesn't Love You Back (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by luvchild(f): 8:03pm On Oct 05, 2006
I recently run into a few Nigerians who look down on those without college level education. I was talking to this guy just a few minutes ago, he called these people without education low lives without humility, integrity, drive in life is low and their jobs and life stink. He said he would never marry a woman without education or upper level status is what he called it. That he rather stick with his class of women. I was floored and took me a while to get over that shock he caused me. I was, hurt in a way because I only have high school education. My question is why is it I am finding this more in the Nigerian culture than mine? Why do they think that college education puts them above others? Would you marry anyone without college level education? I heard that money changes people but I would have thought Nigerians would be the last to be changed by this they seem so caring for people.
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by Free(f): 1:57am On Oct 13, 2006
maybe i would
maybe i wont undecided
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by ama1117(f): 2:02pm On Oct 18, 2006
well i might not. but it all depends on the level of love u have for each other. cheesy
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by ama1117(f): 2:03pm On Oct 18, 2006
well i might not. but it all depends on the level of love  u have for each other. cheesy
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by jammin(m): 3:01pm On Oct 19, 2006
The people who build the U.S and possibly most of Eurpope were'nt in the most part, college educated. However we can easily see their genius, as it is reflected in their standard of living and their country's developement. Remember "Education" is not intelligence, it is merely an opportunity taken. Show me the state of a man's house and you'll be showing me his 'smarts'. Never feel intimidated nor insecure by the behaviour of egotistical jackasses.

i do hope you catch my implicit message.
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by osegwu(m): 1:01pm On Oct 21, 2006
Jammin you are right, after all Bill Gate is a drop out
see what he is today. well as for me the lady i have
decided to marry is not educated, no not in the least
but she is very industrious and that is one that most
so called educated ladies are not. I have masters degree
and so have seen different size and shapes of the
educated ones and believe me they are not worth the shit.                           
please, pardon me, some of them. atleast some are cool if you know what i mean.
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by carpenter(m): 7:19pm On Dec 20, 2006
Being educated goes beyond attending some grad school. For me once a partner shows some form of literacy and we can relate very well, then i am ok

Godbless Nigeria!

2 Likes

Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by angelz(f): 7:34pm On Dec 20, 2006
Educatn is gud. It easy 2 claim nt 2 av any qualms wit marry sm1 wit colege educatn, bt wen such ones make sm minor blunder we wnt hesitat 2 relate dat 2 dia educatnal level. It beta u marry one wit a beta educatn, bt smtims u c sm1 wit a basic educatn wu is more knowledgeabl n smart dan an 'educatd' felow. Jus chose ur luv.
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by angelz(f): 7:36pm On Dec 20, 2006
Educatn is gud. It easy 2 claim nt 2 av any qualms wit marry sm1 wit colege educatn, bt wen such ones make sm minor blunder we wnt hesitat 2 relate dat 2 dia educatnal level. It beta u marry one wit a beta educatn, bt smtims u c sm1 wit a basic educatn wu is more knowledgeabl n smart dan an 'educatd' felow. Jus chose ur luv.
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by angelz(f): 7:37pm On Dec 20, 2006
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by Busta(f): 7:43pm On Dec 20, 2006
education is good but no college and he's rich. . i'm game! grin
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 7:44pm On Dec 20, 2006
We all know your pre-requisite of money money money Busta! tongue
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by Busta(f): 7:46pm On Dec 20, 2006
JosBoy4Lif:

We all know your pre-requisite of money money money Busta! tongue
yes oh, can't blame me.
sufferhead and poverty is a disease.
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by carpenter(m): 7:49pm On Dec 20, 2006
Well, I agree sometimes we do have issues and one might be tempted to say some stuff that might make the other party feel bad about the fact that they didnt get enough education. but the truth is that we should be immune to the opinons of others.
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by mukina2: 7:52pm On Dec 20, 2006
Free:

maybe i would
maybe i wont undecided

maybe i would if he's lipsrsealed
maybe i wont if he's a lipsrsealed
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by ima1(f): 9:17pm On Dec 20, 2006
okay this is all from the guy's point of view, if i was a guy i would marry someone who isn't as educated as me, but then i am a woman and education is important to me, i am working on my master's degree and i am determined not to date anyone that isn't in my level educationally, because someone has gotta work to bring money in, and without education in nigeria, except if you are from a rich family it would really suck for you. well some guy i use to date was all sweet but he hasn't done anything with his life since he graduated from high school in 1998, he says college is not for him and even made references to bill gates, and i am like atleast bill gates tried to make something of his life.

so girls please answer this, WOULD YOU MARRY A GUY WHO ISN'T EDUCATED
My parents wouldn't even let me do that. it would be easy for a guy but for a woman, i really can't think of it happening, call me shallow but education is really important.
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by jammin(m): 9:51pm On Dec 20, 2006
Education is only as important as the society you live in. Lots of American and Brits don't have a uni degree yet they hire people and "Lord "it over people who does.
Having an Education is a fairly decent guarantee of a life that is above mendicancy and homelessness. This however, is true if you live in a society that have a productive capacity to accommodate your skills. There are countries where Masters degree holders are going to their bed hungry because of lack of opportunity.
While on the other hand High school dropouts in a different society is making more money than some Masters Degree holders will see in a lifetime.
So the question now become, is it the learning i am looking for in a partner? or the ability to sustain a quality of life where finances become a non issue?
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by edmondo(m): 5:34am On Dec 21, 2006
@jammin,
i think i agree wit u bt education is very important in this 21st century.
i u re educated,men i pity u
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by MyPeace(f): 8:47am On Dec 21, 2006
Education is very important.  I once dated a guy after my secondary edu, while i went back to school, he was busy trying one biz or the other, which never worked out.  After my college edu, am now employed and he is still FLOATING.  I had since quiet the relationship.

Education is very important especially in nigeria society these days, alteast it gives you an edge. 

Even their thinking mentality is so annoying.
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by JosBoy4Lif(m): 12:18am On Dec 22, 2006
Why do we always gotta play the "ethnic" card cry cry
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by Honeypot1(m): 2:26am On Dec 22, 2006
Jammin, u are quite constructive in your arguments.

Education is very relative. It can be formal or informal, so most people become 'educated' at the end of the day. It appears formal education can even be counter productive, i've seen graduates whose levels of literacy beg the question, and those people though saddled with loads of certificate are not educated in my opinion.

I'm not so keen on paper qualification, i can go for an intelligent girl (not necessarily educated) who has got ideas on how to manage a home. She will still have the willingness to improve her qualifications in the future. I met a nigerian girl who couldn't write simple sentences but was doing her postgraduate diploma in one of the colleges in London. I kept wondering how she coped with her undergrad and high school. I'll rather go for a high school grad than for such uneducated graduates.

''Educated' nigerian girls are more likely to shop around for graduate hubbies, simply to fulfil their parents' unchecked desire for a lawyer, doctor, engineer, , as son-inlaw
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by MyPeace(f): 8:24am On Dec 22, 2006
@ Honey Pot

Story story story.

Once upon a time, time, time.
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by ThoniaSlim(f): 12:44pm On Dec 22, 2006
hhhhmmmm undecided
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by jammin(m): 2:33pm On Dec 22, 2006
I was playing devils advocate tongue
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by Luckygal99(f): 3:21pm On Mar 13, 2009
Yes. FYI i'm a graduate. I don't need to marry for money, looks etc because i'm independent in financially & i have confidence in my ability to shoulder responsibility for both party if it comes to that. Character is more important to me. I believe that character & attitude determines a person's altitude.
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by ammamat(f): 4:23pm On Mar 13, 2009
when piple talks about education, I do ask this question. Is it all about the cetificate or what u have upthere?
How about piple that can write, speak but they dont have that sheet of peper, how do we call those ones?
Are they still uneducated or do they have where they fall in?
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by biina: 4:30pm On Mar 13, 2009
Theoretically I don't mind, practically e go hard
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by omega25red(m): 4:47pm On Mar 13, 2009
life is more complicated nowadays because it used to be that the father would be the one to work and support the family financially but things have changed in the sense that the life styles people aspire to lead is expensive and if you are going to settle down, why settle with a person whose earning power from an education level stand point seems bad from the get go.
Imagine if you met some one with a great job who makes great pay and only has a high school education and that person gets laid off. What other type of job would that person be able to get? yes work experience counts for a lot but people still ask about what degrees you have. Anyway i think the response you got from that jerk was a financial thing.

And i am not saying that you can't make it in life with just a high school diploma but people want someone who has those degrees because you think of their potential earning power. you can always fall back on your degree
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by SeanT21(f): 4:51pm On Mar 13, 2009
He does not even need to have a GED.~~He should atleast have common sense and have a little knowlege about the world.

1 Like

Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by biina: 4:52pm On Mar 13, 2009
ammamat:

when piple talks about education, I do ask this question. Is it all about the cetificate or what u have upthere?
How about piple that can write, speak but they dont have that sheet of peper, how do we call those ones?
Are they still uneducated or do they have where they fall in?
There is a difference between being literate and being educated
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by Hotstepper(f): 2:00am On Mar 14, 2009
If you dont have a university degree atleast, I have no business with u. I have no problems being friends with you cuz I wont look down at you but I wont marry u simply cuz of the values I have for myself PERIOD. I know some people dont have the means so thats even the more reason why people should not be looked down on.
Re: Would You Marry A Person Who Doesn't Have College Education? by ijleke(f): 1:59pm On Mar 14, 2009
i believe most people mis-interprete education, you can still be educated and still be a stake illitrate it all a product of the mind, i have an uncle who married and the wife wsn't a DIPLOMA,BSC,DEGREE,PHD,DOCTORATE holder but she was smart he never wanted to be seen with people in public, unfortunatly she died, he went home married a DEGREE HOLDER IN ENGLISH now if he has a way to rasing the dead he would do that.

(1) (2) (Reply)

21 Things Girls Like To See When They Visit A Guy’s Place For The First Time / Whose Dad Is This? He Passed Out And Now Everyone Is Talking About His Joystick / Who Is The Most Saucy Nairalander?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.