Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,288 members, 7,807,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:59 AM

Nigerians In Oslo, Norway - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway (550924 Views)

Over 100 Nigerians deported from Norway, three others / Nigerian Friends In Oslo/sandefjord Norway / Nigerians In The Desert Trying To Travel To Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (154) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by IcecoldDon: 4:42pm On Oct 08, 2013
hi @starflux luv the work you have been doing. I made a 3.38 cgpa in petroleum engineering and even though I would love an Msc in Pet Eng or Geosciences from NTNU or Stanvanger, from wat u have said in the past I don't fancy my chances,can u please from ur own experience recommend similar courses that I might go for?? Also the 94,400 kronors, can u pls explain d whole process,is it just statement we show at the second stage? must it be in our acct den? how long must it be in an acct untouched and from what month before you can use it to apply for a visa if your application is accepted?? I will be very grateful for ur timely response.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 2:26am On Oct 09, 2013
Just letting you all know I will answer the requests later today smiley
Be patient.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by geekybabe(f): 1:46pm On Oct 09, 2013
StarFlux: Just letting you all know I will answer the requests later today smiley
Be patient.

hi starflux. been reading through and a must say uve been a great guy for helping pple here.
please ive checked out the NTNU site, and i would really love to come over for my masters in Telematics - (Communication Networks and Networked Services). im just about going for my NYSC in nov, so i have ample time to prepare for toefl and write the exam. Just wanna know what other requirements are needed. i av a b.sc in computer engineering (3.2/5.0).
my target is to apply towards 2014/2015 session, after my nysc.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 8:35pm On Oct 09, 2013
Icecold Don: hi @starflux luv the work you have been doing. I made a 3.38 cgpa in petroleum engineering and even though I would love an Msc in Pet Eng or Geosciences from NTNU or Stanvanger, from wat u have said in the past I don't fancy my chances,can u please from ur own experience recommend similar courses that I might go for?? Also the 94,400 kronors, can u pls explain d whole process,is it just statement we show at the second stage? must it be in our acct den? how long must it be in an acct untouched and from what month before you can use it to apply for a visa if your application is accepted?? I will be very grateful for ur timely response.
Hey, thanks!

Usually, you transfer the money to the school's account. When you're granted a resident permit and arrive here in Norway, you'll go make your own bank account and the money will be transferred there. As far as I'm aware, there are no limitations. You transfer it after your school application has been accepted. Once the money is on the account, you can go ahead and apply for a visa.

I don't study any of these things, so I can try finding such programmes for you, but can't really say much from my own experience. Only thing I can do is ask around and see if said programmes can be found in a database where the lowest grade point averages from last year are listed, you'll get a general idea how competitive it is. It really depends on the school most of the time. As long as it's natural sciences, it's okay? I'll go ahead and find some for you.

geeky_babe:

hi starflux. been reading through and a must say uve been a great guy for helping pple here.
please ive checked out the NTNU site, and i would really love to come over for my masters in Telematics - (Communication Networks and Networked Services). im just about going for my NYSC in nov, so i have ample time to prepare for toefl and write the exam. Just wanna know what other requirements are needed. i av a b.sc in computer engineering (3.2/5.0).
my target is to apply towards 2014/2015 session, after my nysc.
Apart from sufficient funds, there's really no other requirement. Just focus on doing your best.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by amblessede: 11:48pm On Oct 09, 2013
hi starflux, gr8 job here. i hv a 3.61 in mechanical eng from Federal University of Technology Owerri. i want to pursue natural gas technology or sustainable energy in NTNU. despite my CGPA being a 2:1, i'm thinking its nt high enof. i knw u r nt in d position to guarantee me being admitted, but wat do u tink my chances r?

also, university of stavanger- offshore technology
telemark university college- engineering & technology
university of tromso- safety and technology
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Nobody: 8:51am On Oct 10, 2013
Hello starflux ;I applied for MSc geoscience at the university of Oslo with cgpa of 4/5. Do you think I stand a chance of getting admission at the school? Thanks
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by IcecoldDon: 9:33am On Oct 10, 2013
[quote author=StarFlux]Hey, thanks!

Usually, you transfer the money to the school's account. When you're granted a resident permit and arrive here in Norway, you'll go make your own bank account and the money will be transferred there. As far as I'm aware, there are no limitations. You transfer it after your school application has been accepted. Once the money is on the account, you can go ahead and apply for a visa.

I don't study any of these things, so I can try finding such programmes for you, but can't really say much from my own experience. Only thing I can do is ask around and see if said programmes can be found in a database where the lowest grade point averages from last year are listed, you'll get a general idea how competitive it is. It really depends on the school most of the time. As long as it's natural sciences, it's okay? I'll go ahead and find some for you.
@starflux tks man for clearing all that up....I would really appreciate if you could get access to that database which I knw will be extremely invaluable to all of us following this thread,hoping you will post it today PLS... even though I knw u might be busy. Also is it only international applicants residing in Norway with Norwegian ID number that can apply for Petroleum Technology at the University of Bergen
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 12:05am On Oct 11, 2013
Hey guys. Didn't have time, I'm so sorry.

I'll have the info very soon. Be patient.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by IcecoldDon: 12:32am On Oct 11, 2013
tks starflux man,we really are waiting on u.....
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 3:51pm On Oct 11, 2013
amblessede: hi starflux, gr8 job here. i hv a 3.61 in mechanical eng from Federal University of Technology Owerri. i want to pursue natural gas technology or sustainable energy in NTNU. despite my CGPA being a 2:1, i'm thinking its nt high enof. i knw u r nt in d position to guarantee me being admitted, but wat do u tink my chances r?

also, university of stavanger- offshore technology
telemark university college- engineering & technology
university of tromso- safety and technology
University of Stavanger- Offshore Technology - this one is extremely competitive. If you're in the lower second class segment, you won't even be considered.

Telemark University College- Engineering & Technology - there's 3 different master programmes under this category, I think you have a fair shot at those.

Process Technology
Systems and Control Engineering
Energy and Environmental Technology

University of Tromsø- Safety and Technology - this is not a study programme, it's a faculty. The only programme offered here is Electrical Engineering. The only requirement is is C average.

NTNU
Most of the engineering/natural sciences programmes here are very competive and have high requirements. Both of those you mentioned accept a very small amount of students each semester (11 and 10). I'd say it's unlikely to gain admission here.

Icecold Don: Replying now
Yes, Petroleum Engineering at UiB is not available for you.

The database is available for everyone, but it's written in Norwegian. Usually, it doesn't list master programmes, but it does list bachelors, so you can get the general idea how competetive the masters will be.

Here is a full list of the natural sciences programmes that you can apply for at the UiB: http://www.uib.no/education/studies/master-s-programmes-self-financing#natural
These are all different when it comes down to competitivness and such, so just pick out the ones you want to know more about and let me know, so I can also find similar programmes elsewhere.

Petroleum engineering at NTNU and UiS are competitive. It's not easy gaining admission here. But the chances are higher at UiS than NTNU.

I'm replying as fast as I can, so don't despair if you don't see your reply here. It's coming.

As a general rule, you want to be at least second in class before you have a realistic chance of being admitted to any of these petroleum programmes.

chunaph: Hello starflux ;I applied for MSc geoscience at the university of Oslo with cgpa of 4/5. Do you think I stand a chance of getting admission at the school? Thanks
Short answer: yes.

Long answer: yes indeed!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by amblessede: 4:09pm On Oct 11, 2013
thanks STAR
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Nobody: 7:42pm On Oct 11, 2013
hunaph: Hello starflux ;I applied for MSc geoscience at the university of Oslo with cgpa of 4/5. Do you think I stand a chance of getting admission at the school? Thanks

Short answer: yes.

Long answer: yes indeed!

Thanks a lot!
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by ImmaOla: 5:02am On Oct 12, 2013
Am a medical student in the caribbean, pls i need info and advice if i want to do my clinical rotation in norway. Thanks in anticipation and i greet u all. starflux pls reply
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by LORETA: 10:17am On Oct 12, 2013
hello starflex....how you today..i am studing in poland maritime schooll..i hope to travel to oslo by this month end.i already booked flight. are you still in poland..if not i love to meet nigerians there? for easy understanding..i am staying 3days ..thursday to sunday morning
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by samuelkingz(m): 3:16pm On Oct 12, 2013
hello my fellow nairalanders plz i need ur help.i am an undergrauduate studying masscomm in a nig university but due to the ASUU strike,i tink i need to port over.can anyone tell me how to apply for a schorlarship in a university in norway or any schengen country where i can study and also work. Re dere also schools or country dat can accept o level results instead of sat,etc.......@ starflux and others,i luv ur insightful post,pls keep it up....hope to hear from you all soon.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 8:00pm On Oct 12, 2013
ImmaOla: Am a medical student in the caribbean, pls i need info and advice if i want to do my clinical rotation in norway. Thanks in anticipation and i greet u all. starflux pls reply
I think I have commented on clinical rotation before. I currently don't have any working knowledge on clinical rotation in Norway. I guess you'll have to e-mail some teaching hospitals.

LORETA: hello starflex....how you today..i am studing in poland maritime schooll..i hope to travel to oslo by this month end.i already booked flight. are you still in poland..if not i love to meet nigerians there? for easy understanding..i am staying 3days ..thursday to sunday morning
Hey!
I've never lived in Poland! When you arrive, I advice you to take a trip to Storgata, plenty of Nigerians there.

samuelkingz: hello my fellow nairalanders plz i need ur help.i am an undergrauduate studying masscomm in a nig university but due to the ASUU strike,i tink i need to port over.can anyone tell me how to apply for a schorlarship in a university in norway or any schengen country where i can study and also work. Re dere also schools or country dat can accept o level results instead of sat,etc.......@ starflux and others,i luv ur insightful post,pls keep it up....hope to hear from you all soon.
O-level results are accepted.

From what I can see now, there are no mass communication programmes offered. Are there any other programmes you have any interest in?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by LORETA: 3:34am On Oct 13, 2013
thank you starflex...two more things...how true is it that my poland resident card cannot allow me into norway as a nigerian for just visit...that i must still get a visa (my residence is still valid till june next year).please help answer with recent experiences because different people are giving me different opinion.am confused thanks

secondly . ...how can i get contacts there and cheap accomodation for just two nights in norway..
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 5:21pm On Oct 13, 2013
LORETA: thank you starflex...two more things...how true is it that my poland resident card cannot allow me into norway as a nigerian for just visit...that i must still get a visa (my residence is still valid till june next year).please help answer with recent experiences because different people are giving me different opinion.am confused thanks

secondly . ...how can i get contacts there and cheap accomodation for just two nights in norway..
I am 99% sure you need to apply separately for a tourist visa.

I can't help with contacts or cheap accomodation. Try to make a thread here on NL.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Nobody: 7:12pm On Oct 13, 2013
Nice one starflux..thanks for ur help and patience
A pal of mine finished with a bachelors degree in elect/elect engr and a c.gp of 3.52 few years ago in naija..he just recently concluded a postgraduate certificate course in wireless networks in a university in the uk had 52% as his overall score or grade...he wants to apply for telematics in ntnu?is he qualified enough?do u knw of any other universities that do masters in telecommunications in norway? regards
StarFlux: I am 99% sure you need to apply separately for a tourist visa.

I can't help with contacts or cheap accomodation. Try to make a thread here on NL.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 10:07pm On Oct 13, 2013
desdichando: Nice one starflux..thanks for ur help and patience
A pal of mine finished with a bachelors degree in elect/elect engr and a c.gp of 3.52 few years ago in naija..he just recently concluded a postgraduate certificate course in wireless networks in a university in the uk had 52% as his overall score or grade...he wants to apply for telematics in ntnu?is he qualified enough?do u knw of any other universities that do masters in telecommunications in norway? regards
Unfortunately, I don't know any, I think NTNU is the only one.

Yes, I'm positive that would be enough for him to qualify. You can send them an e-mail to confirm.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by uzoexcel(m): 6:15am On Oct 15, 2013
Nice job starflux...God bless u real good
StarFlux: Hey, thanks!

Apart from sufficient funds, there's really no other requirement. Just focus on doing your best.

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Nobody: 6:21am On Oct 15, 2013
Also, how good is Riga Technical University....do u v any info on them...and the part of norway its situated, is it people friendly? thnks again 4 ur patience
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 3:40pm On Oct 15, 2013
desdichando: Also, how good is Riga Technical University....do u v any info on them...and the part of norway its situated, is it people friendly? thnks again 4 ur patience
Riga is not in Norway, it's in Latvia.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by ceechedah: 10:15am On Oct 16, 2013
Hey starflux, hw r u doing? pls I want to send my original documents to nordland university like waec original cert, original transcript, original international passport. My question is wat r d chances dat my original document will b returned weda d admission is given to me or not, also can't I just send d photocopy of my data page dan d original international passport.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 2:08pm On Oct 17, 2013
ceechedah: Hey starflux, hw r u doing? pls I want to send my original documents to nordland university like waec original cert, original transcript, original international passport. My question is wat r d chances dat my original document will b returned weda d admission is given to me or not, also can't I just send d photocopy of my data page dan d original international passport.
For questions like these I advice you to just contact the university. Send them an e-mail and you'll get an answer pretty fast.

That said, don't submit original documents unless they specifically asks for it, and if they do, you must ensure that they are returned.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by ceechedah: 6:41pm On Oct 17, 2013
StarFlux: For questions like these I advice you to just contact the university. Send them an e-mail and you'll get an answer pretty fast.

That said, don't submit original documents unless they specifically asks for it, and if they do, you must ensure that they are returned.
[quote author=StarFlux]
Wat dey asked for is certified copy of my passport,certified copy of my secondary school result which is waec, I bliv by d term 'certified' dey mean original, pls correct me If Am wrong. If dey mean photocopy how do I certify my passport n waec result photocopy? thanks
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 9:32pm On Oct 17, 2013
No. A copy is a copy.

"A photocopy of a document, judgment, or record that is signed and attested to as an accurate and a complete reproduction of the original document by a public official in whose custody the original has been placed for safekeeping."
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by ceechedah: 5:46am On Oct 18, 2013
StarFlux: No. A copy is a copy.

"A photocopy of a document, judgment, or record that is signed and attested to as an accurate and a complete reproduction of the original document by a public official in whose custody the original has been placed for safekeeping."
so r u saying Its d photocopy dey r requesting for?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 1:36pm On Oct 18, 2013
ceechedah:
It is pretty clear in the reply. If they asked for original documents, why would they use the word copy? Copy is a copy as I said. A signed photocopy.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by IcecoldDon: 1:12am On Oct 19, 2013
hi starflux, keep up ur good work. I have really checked and it seems telemark is the only skl there that might consider 2.2 for petroleum or energy related masters or is there another skl I am missing.......pls help a brother out cos this search is driving me nuts. Also do u knw anytin abt Sweden, heard they have stopped their tuition free policy,hw true is that and knw any good skls dere for 2.2 graduates?? tks man, I knw its not really ur area bt any pointers will be highly appreciated.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by ceechedah: 8:52am On Oct 19, 2013
StarFlux: It is pretty clear in the reply. If they asked for original documents, why would they use the word copy? Copy is a copy as I said. A signed photocopy.
th

Thanks my broda God bless u, one last question wat courier service did u use n can u remember hw much it costs to send ur documents dere?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by honourableseyi: 12:39pm On Oct 19, 2013
ceechedah:

Bro just make the photocopy of the needed documents and go to any nearby High court or notary public with your original for certification. They will check the originals if they correspond with the photocopy then they will notarise the photocopy for you. That is what they want you to bring.It's not free ooooo

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (154) (Reply)

General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Travelling To Canada Part 4 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.