Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,803 members, 7,798,716 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:07 AM

Nigerians In Oslo, Norway - Travel (17) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerians In Oslo, Norway (549945 Views)

Over 100 Nigerians deported from Norway, three others / Nigerian Friends In Oslo/sandefjord Norway / Nigerians In The Desert Trying To Travel To Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (154) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Inxyz: 2:11pm On Jun 28, 2014
Please my people,

Lets come back to this this topic, I dont know what happened to Nairaland but lets keep it alive.

Has any other person collected his / her VISA?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 7:45pm On Jun 30, 2014
Inxyz: Please my people,

Lets come back to this this topic, I dont know what happened to Nairaland but lets keep it alive.

Has any other person collected his / her VISA?
Truly a shame. So much valuable information posted not too long ago, all gone.

I seem to recall someone collecting their visa, but can't remember the details. Would be of great help to know the current booking and processing times.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by nnjohnson: 7:46pm On Jun 30, 2014
not yet oo after 30days dat I submitted my RP application, still waiting for der decision.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Inxyz: 7:01am On Jul 01, 2014
nnjohnson: not yet oo after 30days dat I submitted my RP application, still waiting for der decision.
nnjohnson: not yet oo after 30days dat I submitted my RP application, still waiting for der decision.
Thanks and happy to welcome you & Starflux back.
30 days!!! Hmm, this is them far.
In how days did it take you to receive a msg that your documents has been forwarded to UDI for decision because am yet to get that MSG.

I also contacted my former School in Nigeria if The Embassy at any time contacted the but from the info i got, they are yet to do so.

Pls how may days did it take you to receive the text msg or email from Embassy abuja that they forwarded your application for decision.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by nnjohnson: 5:47pm On Jul 01, 2014
@inxyz, it took dem 18days to forward it to UDI.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by ashimiyu(m): 10:54pm On Jul 01, 2014
Nairaland made us to loose a lot of information. Only God knows what happened to them. The last person I know that received his visa in this forum got it after 26 days of application after it spent 19 days in Nigeria before getting to UDI.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by ashimiyu(m): 10:56pm On Jul 01, 2014
I believe you should get an answer within tomorrow or next. I wish you best of luck.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Inxyz: 9:18am On Jul 02, 2014
Thanks to all for coming back the forum.

I am still expecting their text msg ooo
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by nnjohnson: 9:58am On Jul 03, 2014
@ashimiyu, u must be a small prophet wink dey hv granted me resident permit. all tanx to God.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Inxyz: 11:20am On Jul 03, 2014
nnjohnson: @ashimiyu, u must be a small prophet wink dey hv granted me resident permit. all tanx to God.

Wow! congrats @ nnJohnson.

We give God thanks.

I believe mine is coming soonest.

This is a great forum... More testimonies to come.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by nnjohnson: 1:16pm On Jul 03, 2014
Inxyz:

Wow! congrats @ nnJohnson.

We give God thanks.

I believe mine is coming soonest.

This is a great forum... More testimonies to come.

Thanks inxyz, u will surely get urs as well. best of luck.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by ashimiyu(m): 11:36pm On Jul 03, 2014
wink wink smiley That is nice. I am really happy for you. Which county will you be staying in Norway ?
nnjohnson: @ashimiyu, u must be a small prophet wink dey hv granted me resident permit. all tanx to God.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by nnjohnson: 5:54am On Jul 04, 2014
Bergen city
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by ashimiyu(m): 11:27am On Jul 04, 2014
Ok, Thank you. All the best.
nnjohnson: Bergen city
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 12:24pm On Jul 04, 2014
nnjohnson: Bergen city
Beautiful city. Surpasses the capital by far.

At this point you'll just have to push for your visa so it doesn't drown in the lot of applications. Wish you all the best of lucksmiley

I've been semi absent as of late due to full time work this summer. Despite that, I'd like to know if anyone is interested in learning Norwegian before and after landing, and if a dedicated thread on NL would be of interest.

Stay blessed.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Inxyz: 5:34pm On Jul 04, 2014
StarFlux: Beautiful city. Surpasses the capital by far.
At this point you'll just have to push for your visa so it doesn't drown in the lot of applications. Wish you all the best of lucksmiley
I've been semi absent as of late due to full time work this summer. Despite that, I'd like to know if anyone is interested in learning Norwegian before and after landing, and if a dedicated thread on NL would be of interest.
Stay blessed.
This is Perfect @ Starflux.
Let's do it; I av already downloaded lots of videos and tutorials and I bliv if we share we would learn beta.
Although, I haven't had much time to study them but if we share a word or sentence per day, it will go a long way.

"Learn a norwegian word per day"
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Inxyz: 5:54pm On Jul 04, 2014
@Starflux,

Follow this link to Norway class 101: www.nairaland.com/newtopic?board=2
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Inxyz: 5:58pm On Jul 04, 2014

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by castrogee(m): 4:51pm On Jul 05, 2014
StarFlux: Hey Oyintiloye

Well, naturally they'll consider any research you may have done, letters of recommendation, work experience etc, but nothing out of the ordinary as far as I know.

Yes, studying and working is entirely possible, but for the first year at least, you should have some money. After you know the basics of the language, you'll be able to apply for jobs more easily. Though, you can never be too sure, and I recommend always having some back-up money.

If you want to settle down, Norway is the place. Norway has the highest standard of living in the world, and you have much better opportunities here than any other place. I really don't understand why so many insist on going to UK or USA when Norway is ahead of both of these two countries by a fair margin. It's a country full of social goods, high acceptance towards foreigners, and is generally the place you want to be considering the economic situation in the rest of the west.
Norway's definitely the place you'd want to raise a family. Free education for all, low unemployment rates, peaceful, but most important of all: stable.

Dear Starfux,

I've heard a lot about Norway and it's steady rise in global competitiveness, but never have I heard anyone speak so assertive like you sounded in your post. I'm a software engineer based in USA; with the current rumblings in the world (economic imbalance) America seems to be in the centre of another economic implosion. I've seen the signs that there may be a geopolitical shift of economic activities from the west to the east and Northern Europe, consequently Starflux I need to ask you for some clarifications and will be glad if you respond most respectfully.

A) please can you enumerate the steps in involved in getting a Norwagian passport or permanent residency in Norway.
B) from the angle of a professional I want to know the chances of getting a high paying job in Norway.
C) as far as immigrants are concerned, America is the best country for Immigrants, can such be said of Norway?
D) even if I have to go for an MSc in Norway what's the cost of such venture?
E) you did say in your post that Norway is far better than the ALMIGHTY USA and maybe UK can you please elaborate with some proven statistics?

Your response is highly anticipated!
Regards.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by StarFlux: 4:54pm On Jul 06, 2014
castrogee:

Dear Starfux,

I've heard a lot about Norway and it's steady rise in global competitiveness, but never have I heard anyone speak so assertive like you sounded in your post. I'm a software engineer based in USA; with the current rumblings in the world (economic imbalance) America seems to be in the centre of another economic implosion. I've seen the signs that there may be a geopolitical shift of economic activities from the west to the east and Northern Europe, consequently Starflux I need to ask you for some clarifications and will be glad if you respond most respectfully.

A) please can you enumerate the steps in involved in getting a Norwagian passport or permanent residency in Norway.
B) from the angle of a professional I want to know the chances of getting a high paying job in Norway.
C) as far as immigrants are concerned, America is the best country for Immigrants, can such be said of Norway?
D) even if I have to go for an MSc in Norway what's the cost of such venture?
E) you did say in your post that Norway is far better than the ALMIGHTY USA and maybe UK can you please elaborate with some proven statistics?

Your response is highly anticipated!
Regards.

A) Obtaining permanent residency is pretty straight forward. Study/work and apply thereafter as the easiest way. There's a 3 year residency rule, but they're open to exeptions if you make a strong case. You can see the full list here: http://www.udi.no/en/want-to-apply/permanent-residence/permanent-residence-permit/?c=nga#Adult-2

B) All/most jobs pay okay. I work in a grocery store to pay for my expenses and earn 3900N per standard work hour + additional pay for weekends/evenings/closing. That's more than enough to live a comfortable life. You wouldn't live very comfortably in the US with such work. Anyway, then you have the work which usually requires education/experience which pays even more, after that you have what you could classify as high paying work - with dedication you have good chances of getting such a job. The reason I used grocery stores as an example is because you start low and advance pretty quickly, eventually you'll have a shot at becoming a store manager, which is a high paying job and requires no education. So even the unfortunate ones have a chance in this country. It all depends on you.

C) I personally have not experienced any racism or hostility. Pretty much all my contacts are Norwegian and there's no tension. That's here in Oslo anyway, where there's plenty of immigrants, could vary from place to place. America is a country built by immigrants, so obviously it's not really comparable, but there's nothing to be worried about as a Nigerian in Norway.

D) The requirement for a visa application is 2,5M Naira the first year. It's not a fee - but it's required to guarantee your welfare.

E) Personal opinion. Couple of keynotes you can google: healthcare, social security, support organ, pension, human rights, free education, stability etc.

Take care!

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by castrogee(m): 12:09am On Jul 07, 2014
StarFlux:

A) Obtaining permanent residency is pretty straight forward. Study/work and apply thereafter as the easiest way. There's a 3 year residency rule, but they're open to exeptions if you make a strong case. You can see the full list here: http://www.udi.no/en/want-to-apply/permanent-residence/permanent-residence-permit/?c=nga#Adult-2

B) All/most jobs pay okay. I work in a grocery store to pay for my expenses and earn 3900N per standard work hour + additional pay for weekends/evenings/closing. That's more than enough to live a comfortable life. You wouldn't live very comfortably in the US with such work. Anyway, then you have the work which usually requires education/experience which pays even more, after that you have what you could classify as high paying work - with dedication you have good chances of getting such a job. The reason I used grocery stores as an example is because you start low and advance pretty quickly, eventually you'll have a shot at becoming a store manager, which is a high paying job and requires no education. So even the unfortunate ones have a chance in this country. It all depends on you.

C) I personally have not experienced any racism or hostility. Pretty much all my contacts are Norwegian and there's no tension. That's here in Oslo anyway, where there's plenty of immigrants, could vary from place to place. America is a country built by immigrants, so obviously it's not really comparable, but there's nothing to be worried about as a Nigerian in Norway.

D) The requirement for a visa application is 2,5M Naira the first year. It's not a fee - but it's required to guarantee your welfare.

E) Personal opinion. Couple of keynotes you can google: healthcare, social security, support organ, pension, human rights, free education, stability etc.

Take care!

Thanks so much for your answers, it is reliable and concise.
Regards
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Inxyz: 7:23pm On Jul 07, 2014
Na wa o, this is the 18th day of submiting my app and no text yet ooo
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by nnjohnson: 8:22pm On Jul 07, 2014
Inxyz: Na wa o, this is the 18th day of submiting my app and no text yet ooo

you will get it tomorrow or next.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Inxyz: 6:49am On Jul 10, 2014
nnjohnson:
nnjohnson:

No MSG from embassy yet o, any pips on what next to do?
Should I contact them?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Inxyz: 9:29pm On Jul 10, 2014
Is there any body in da house who submitted his / her application to embassy that received message that his / her documents has been forwarded to UDI for decision?

Thanks, awaiting your response.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by ashimiyu(m): 10:07pm On Jul 10, 2014
Be patient Inxyz, you are too eager. Please be patient!!! You will soon get it. Don't call them yet.
Inxyz:

No MSG from embassy yet o, any pips on what next to do?
Should I contact them?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by ashimiyu(m): 10:13pm On Jul 10, 2014
There are people in the house I know they are yet to receive the text message. Be patient brother.
Inxyz: Is there any body in da house who submitted his / her application to embassy that received message that his / her documents has been forwarded to UDI for decision?

Thanks, awaiting your response.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Inxyz: 11:58am On Jul 11, 2014
ashimiyu: There are people in the house I know they are yet to receive the text message. Be patient brother.

No lele bro, thanks.

I need to be worried somehow sha, considering the time it took others to get their test msg and how much I have spent for this moves N2.8M ++

E no easy o, they just have to act fast.

I am also waiting for NDDC and PTDF.
If they call now, I may not have my passport & degree result to present for the scholarship.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Nobody: 11:07am On Jul 14, 2014
Its 28 days now and i have not heard anything from udi. Some of my friends that submitted same day have received theirs. Do you guys thing i should do them a mail?
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by ashimiyu(m): 12:37pm On Jul 14, 2014
I think you should be patient and give them this week; I heard that not everybody will get the message that application has been sent to UDI, Norway for final decision. But Surely, you will get a reply for FINAL Decision. Let us know if you get anything this week.
chunaph: Its 28 days now and i have not heard anything from udi. Some of my friends that submitted same day have received theirs. Do you guys thing i should do them a mail?

1 Like

Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by Nobody: 5:19pm On Jul 14, 2014
I just saw the ptdf list and my name is there, i dont know whether they can transfer the scholarship to ntnu geoscience course o. Plz i need ur advice fellow forumites.
Re: Nigerians In Oslo, Norway by ashimiyu(m): 9:21pm On Jul 14, 2014
Congratulations!!! You can try that by emailing them on oss_msc@ptdf.gov.ng with your admission letter. Do that as soon as possible. They will look at it and advice you accordingly. Mind you, UK masters are basically a year. As fate would have it, I was not listed among the scholars. Everyone has his luck and time.
chunaph: I just saw the ptdf list and my name is there, i dont know whether they can transfer the scholarship to ntnu geoscience course o. Plz i need ur advice fellow forumites.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) ... (154) (Reply)

General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 5 / Travelling To Canada Part 4 / General German Student Visa Enquiries Part 6

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.