Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,656 members, 7,801,906 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:09 AM

Nitel Pensioners Should Come In - Jobs/Vacancies (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Nitel Pensioners Should Come In (159918 Views)

Privatisation: NITEL, MTEL To Employ 10,000 Nigerians – NATCOM / Netcom- Successor To NITEL Is Recruiting? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by Mpower(m): 10:11pm On Oct 08, 2017
Maprince4:
why is nitel not part of other civil servant for their verification? why Nitel own case is different?
Thats true, when it comes to Nitel's case flimsy and rubbish excuses start to surface. If it is not that the format of the database are not in the format PTAD wants. Then it will be that the number of data of staffs is incomplete. What ever be the case something useless and senseless must definitely arise from no where. I just hope that the verification will not exceed october or @ worse november. Because if it does, then it will be pretty too late. And the patient may just start to be very inpatient.
Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by Daewoods(m): 11:59pm On Oct 08, 2017
Mpower:
Thats true, when it comes to Nitel's case flimbsy and rubbish excuses start to surface. If it is not that the format of the database are not in the format PTAD wants. Then it will be that the number of data of staffs is incomplete. What ever be the case something useless and senseless must definitely arise from no where. I just hope that the verification will not exceed october or @ worse november. Because if it does, then it will be pretty to late. And patient may just start to be very inpatient.
very true bro, I'm sincerely tired
Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by brosiye99(m): 8:16am On Oct 09, 2017
Good day all.
The outcome of the thursday seminar with PTAD was not favourable at all. After all assurances to NITEL/MTEL Reps( Halita, Mashi and all), in previous meetings, PTAD has now said they can’t go ahead to start Nitel/mtel verifications because of the outstanding issues and legal cases brought about by the Oluti group and other such groups that are talking about 20 years pension buy out and what not.

PTAD categorically said until there is unity and harmonization of positions by all contending groups, they will not do nitel/mtel verification. PTAD said their mandate is to pay pension for life and not to negotiate bulk payment pension buy out. We are back to another delay again. I personally feel so pained. Seems 2017 has been wasted. The verification would have started this October but now all hopes are dashed until a common ground is found. Other agencies such as New Nigerian newspapers, Nigerian re insurance etc are being verified as we speak.

As I heard, Halita, Mashi group who are for life pension were told by PTAD to harmonise positions with all these groups but halita particularly said she will not meet with them because they feel angered that these groups have spoiled chances and brought further delays. A neutral team of negotiators made up of other former middle to senior staff is being constituted so as to meet with these 20 year groups which I understand is not only Oluti but many other groups too. These groups keep sending letters, petitions to PTAD so PTAD is also being careful. Even after the seminar, they submitted documents to PTAD and only God knows what they are saying again.

Someone here should please advise the 20 year pension agitators and campaigners that if government is to do the 20 year pension buy out, it will cost over 190 billion naira. In this Buhari regime, that is impossible for government to bring out now so they better stop dreaming about it. They should not compare Nigeria Airways own situation to Nitel. Nigeria Airways was a special case because the Minister of aviation is from katsina state, a former Nigeria airways pilot and is very close to the President Buhari, so “man know man” has worked for them. Besides, 35 billion naira for 4,000 pensioners will be easier for government to pay than nearly 200 billion naira for NITEL/MTEL pensioners that exceeds 20,000.

They should not also compare nitel/mtel to NEPA who were paid 20 years pension buy out. It was possible for NEPA to get 20 years because at the time of being privatized, they learnt from NITEL case and negotiated well. Also, they had the power to shut down the NEPA infrastructure and go on strike and bring total darkness if government did not listen to them because electricity is a critical and strategic asset. They were negotiating from a strong position and they knew it. That is why the Jonathan government had to pay them about 350 billion naira pension buy out and also because Nigeria was also booming with high crude prices so it was easy to pay them.

For NITEL/MTEL, we don’t have that advantage and strong bargaining position as nitel is not even existing as a going concern now and at year 2006, NITEL was in a weak position in the telecoms industry as GSM operators had crowded NITEL/MTEL out, so even the then government would not have still given 20 years because nitel was no longer a strategic national asset.

Just recently, government had to raise a foreign sukuk bond of 100 billion naira for the Ministry of works to fix bad roads and construct new ones all over Nigeria. That tells you government income is not in a good shape, so is it this government that will bring 200 billion naira at once to pay 20 year pension to nitel? Just one agency? It will never happen even in the next 5 years. Government will prefer to spend that kind of sum on infrastructure than on pension for a single agency. But for life pension, I understand it will amount to a little over 8 billion naira yearly for NITEL/MTEL Pensioners. Government can comfortably do it and in fact, will be happy to do that and that is PTAD’s position.

It is so sad what is happening. Many ex nitel /mtel staff I know are dying every day and suffering untold hardship, in hospitals, can’t feed well and some people are not being understanding. Let us hope these groups can understand and agree to harmonise to life pension.

WE MUST TELL OURSELVES THE TRUTH; THERE IS NO WAY 20 YEARS PENSION BUY-OUT WILL WORK IN THIS BUHARI REGIME OR THE NEXT GOVERNMENT EVEN IF GOVERNMENT REVENUE AND INCOME INCREASES. IF THESE GROUPS KEEP INSISTING ON 20 YEARS, THEN I ADVISE EVERYONE HERE TO JUST FORGET THIS PENSION THING AS A WHOLE AND MOVE ON TO OTHER THINGS.
BETTER NOT TO HAVE ANY EXPECTATION THAN TO HAVE HOPE THAT WILL CONTINUALLY BE DASHED ALWAYS.

I also hope there is nothing fishy on the part of PTAD sha.

Sorry for my long epistle.

1 Like

Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by antiomic: 9:25am On Oct 09, 2017
I just received an update.
All has been resolved. Nitel union has agree terms with the government.
Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by segzy3(m): 11:23am On Oct 09, 2017
An issue arose concerning the agitation of some ex nitel/mtel staff on Thursday but the issue has been settled.ptad promised to invite the representatives including that of other parastatals for another round of meeting possibly the final meeting before verification immediately after the conclusion of ongoing southwest verification this month to trash out nitel issues.

1 Like

Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by tobore09: 11:56am On Oct 09, 2017
@brosiye99 I strongly stand with oluti group because they were disengaged not retired and on that note can't be on a pension scheme(based on the court ruling of 20years payout) and mind you halita group have been on pension prior before 2006 and they are insisting on life pension at the detriment of the disengaged because of their selfish reasons:
1.halita aliyu is the owner of pencom pension which will be incharge of paying nitel/mtel pensioners if agreed upon after ptad verification.
2.halita group feels the disengaged will receive more if giving 20years than the retirees who are opting for life pension
therefore I say no to halita group and stand with oluti group.
Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by segzy3(m): 12:18pm On Oct 09, 2017
tobore09:
@brosiye99 I strongly stand with oluti group because they were disengaged not retired and on that note can't be on a pension scheme(based on the court ruling of 20years payout) and mind you halita group have been on pension prior before 2006 and they are insisting on life pension at the detriment of the disengaged because of their selfish reasons:
1.halita aliyu is the owner of pencom pension which will be incharge of paying nitel/mtel pensioners if agreed upon after ptad verification.
2.halita group feels the disengaged will receive more if giving 20years than the retirees who are opting for life pension
imagine halita owns this and that......pls show us evidence and can u produce the judgement that said u should be paid 20yrs.buhari approved life pension for u and not buy out and life pension isn't a brainchild of halita.if u ain't satisfied go to court!your leaders that are hoodwinking you about 20yrs that can't show u evidence. Just like@brossiye said nitel bargaining power is weak and were u not aware Jonathans government appealed nitel case.did u fight jonathan?if u people don't thread carefully only the 5000pensioners on nitel payroll before disengagement may turn out to be the only beneficiary.its so unfortunate you are not realistic looking only at what NEPA,airways etc were paid.government just got borrowed from subbok and u are looking for around 200billion to pay just nitel.wishful thinking

1 Like

Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by brosiye99(m): 12:50pm On Oct 09, 2017
@tobore09: There are some things we are not getting clear. If you are asking for 20 years pension, then you should not come to PTAD. PTAD is only for monthly payment of pension under the defined benefits scheme for all civil servants. PTAD doesn’t have mandate to pay bulk payments. The Oluti group and other similar groups of 20 years should go to government directly and negotiate like the Nigerian airways people that used the Minister of Aviation to get their pension buy out and see whether government will even listen to them.

Truth is if the Oluti group keep sabotaging this by insisting on 20 years, then we are all losers. Like I said, earlier, government can’t give anybody 200 billion naira pension buy out now so if that is what oluti and similar groups are agitating for, then they are dreaming. Them go wait tire and their suffering colleagues go just dey die go till nobody remain again. Pension you no get, you come dey wait for years come die go. 2-0.
The majority of staff affected are those that were disengaged in 2006 or earlier so why are we stabbing ourselves in the back.

It will be better to harmonise and get the life pensionthan to keep waiting for money that wont come.

As for your allegation that Halita Aliyu owns pencom pension, I just laff as I read am. Very funny. There is no pencom pension. It is National Pension Commission (called PENCOM) which is the regulator of all PFA’s and pension related issues in Nigeria. PTAD was set up by government to specially take care of civil servants who retired before 2007 under the defined benefits scheme that includes all previous retirees before them including the Halita Aliyu you are talking about who retired in the late 90’s. What of Mashi that was disengaged and retired as MD in 2006 and all other staff of 2006? Mashi group (2006) and Halita (before 2006) are working together so all this categories of staff can benefit. They will also be entitled to life pension too. PTAD will be the one to be making yearly budget for the pensioners which will be approved and released to PTAD to pay directly to Pensioners. It will not be released to any company.

Na for every ex nitel/mtel staff to benefit na him be the matter. The Halita group met Minister of Finance and SGF last year and they were bluntly told that government doesn’t have the resources to pay pension buy out and they were advised to liaise with PTAD. They said even if Nitel wins the case in Supreme Court, government will not pay 20 years now cause of low government revenue. In fact, Falana, the Nitel Lawyer on the case advised that the case was political and that NItel should use political means that it is possible that Nitel can lose the case at Supreme Court and that would be final and closed. No way to appeal again. Currently, because of this new political moves, the Supreme Court case is not being vigorously pursued since the president has intervened and directed PTAD.

The Halita group got through to the president buhari who later approved that PTAD should look into the issue. The former DG PTAD was working on it before she was removed and that brought delays until the new DG, Sharon Ikeazor was appointed. This is what brought about renewed hope from last year till now. If not for the efforts of this Halita & Mashi group, this issue would not have reached PTAD by now.

Well let's pray for understanding and unity of all if not na all of us go lose. A house divided cannot stand.

I greet everyone. Let us stay hopeful.
Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by brosiye99(m): 1:00pm On Oct 09, 2017
Segzy3 is very right that it may be the 5000 pensioners already on the payroll before 2006 that may ultimately be the winners in all of this if we are not careful. Please Let's us be informed. I understand that Oluti has even apologised to Halita group and to PTAD but the damage his group has caused is seriously affecting us all by bringing in more delays. Even if he has apologized, he still has a large follower ship that don't fully understand the issues.
Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by segzy3(m): 1:34pm On Oct 09, 2017
brosiye99:
@tobore09: There are some things we are not getting clear. If you are asking for 20 years pension, then you should not come to PTAD. PTAD is only for monthly payment of pension under the defined benefits scheme for all civil servants. PTAD doesn’t have mandate to pay bulk payments. The Oluti group and other similar groups of 20 years should go to government directly and negotiate like the Nigerian airways people that used the Minister of Aviation to get their pension buy out and see whether government will even listen to them.

Truth is if the Oluti group keep sabotaging this by insisting on 20 years, then we are all losers. Like I said, earlier, government can’t give anybody 200 billion naira pension buy out now so if that is what oluti and similar groups are agitating for, then they are dreaming. Them go wait tire and their suffering colleagues go just dey die go till nobody remain again. Pension you no get, you come dey wait for years come die go. 2-0.
The majority of staff affected are those that were disengaged in 2006 or earlier so why are we stabbing ourselves in the back.

It will be better to harmonise and get the life pensionthan to keep waiting for money that wont come.

As for your allegation that Halita Aliyu owns pencom pension, I just laff as I read am. Very funny. There is no pencom pension. It is National Pension Commission (called PENCOM) which is the regulator of all PFA’s and pension related issues in Nigeria. PTAD was set up by government to specially take care of civil servants who retired before 2007 under the defined benefits scheme that includes all previous retirees before them including the Halita Aliyu you are talking about who retired in the late 90’s. What of Mashi that was disengaged and retired as MD in 2006 and all other staff of 2006? Mashi group (2006) and Halita (before 2006) are working together so all this categories of staff can benefit. They will also be entitled to life pension too. PTAD will be the one to be making yearly budget for the pensioners which will be approved and released to PTAD to pay directly to Pensioners. It will not be released to any company.

Na for every ex nitel/mtel staff to benefit na him be the matter. The Halita group met Minister of Finance and SGF last year and they were bluntly told that government doesn’t have the resources to pay pension buy out and they were advised to liaise with PTAD. They said even if Nitel wins the case in Supreme Court, government will not pay 20 years now cause of low government revenue. In fact, Falana, the Nitel Lawyer on the case advised that the case was political and that NItel should use political means that it is possible that Nitel can lose the case at Supreme Court and that would be final and closed. No way to appeal again. Currently, because of this new political moves, the Supreme Court case is not being vigorously pursued since the president has intervened and directed PTAD.

The Halita group got through to the president buhari who later approved that PTAD should look into the issue. The former DG PTAD was working on it before she was removed and that brought delays until the new DG, Sharon Ikeazor was appointed. This is what brought about renewed hope from last year till now. If not for the efforts of this Halita & Mashi group, this issue would not have reached PTAD by now.

Well let's pray for understanding and unity of all if not na all of us go lose. A house divided cannot stand.

I greet everyone. Let us stay hopeful.
thanks for the enlightenment@brossiye, I hope all will be well if what national Secretary engineer olabode said is true that the issue has been settled.
Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by sonya4all(m): 8:56pm On Oct 09, 2017
I'm yet to understand what you guys are talking about,it seems your guys clamouring for life pensions are even selfish, because you don't even consider the families of the diseased disengaged staff post 2006. When you get your life pensions what happens to the diseased....you guys are not being plain.i stand to be corrected though.
Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by justpeehay(m): 9:07pm On Oct 09, 2017
N.O.K
sonya4all:
I'm yet to understand what you guys are talking about,it seems your guys clamouring for life pensions are even selfish, because you don't even consider the families of the diseased disengaged staff post 2006. When you get your life pensions what happens to the diseased....you guys are not being plain.i stand to be corrected though.
Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by Ancientdeb123: 6:44am On Oct 10, 2017
Pls segzy i heard dat ptad madam want 2 ask minister of finance if there is fund 2 pay bulk.pls is it true? Cos dis bulk of a thing is causing delay and ptad twitter handle says it depend on avaliability of fund b4 bulk can be paid. Pls segzy are u 100% sure dat ptad has intervene in d matter cos am worried than ever b4.
Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by segzy3(m): 7:53am On Oct 10, 2017
Ancientdeb123:
Pls segzy i heard dat ptad madam want 2 ask minister of finance if there is fund 2 pay bulk.pls is it true? Cos dis bulk of a thing is causing delay and ptad twitter handle says it depend on avaliability of fund b4 bulk can be paid. Pls segzy are u 100% sure dat ptad has intervene in d matter cos am worried than ever b4.
I'm not sure if Ptad madam wants to ask the minister
Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by brosiye99(m): 9:08am On Oct 10, 2017
@sonya4all: It is not being selfish asking for life pension. This has been explained before on this thread. Let me explain again. Deceased staff after 2006 will be considered too depending on when they died. I understand that if lets say a deceased staff died in 2010, the staff dependants or next of kin is entitled to some pension arrears for the years after death.
Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by segzy3(m): 9:57am On Oct 10, 2017
@sonya4all,the directive given by the president is clear enough"return all nitel staff still alive on pension"nobody is selfish and quote me anybody looking for 20yrs is daydreaming and those thinking halita/others were the ones that orchestrated the life pension thing is wrong.Jonathan was there for 6yrs but none of the agitators achieved anything.I understand some next of kin wanted bulkmoney cos they felt they may not be privilege to get pension. However, it is what it is.a letter was submitted to PTAD yesterday by the union cos I think its been resolved.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by obynolucy: 12:23pm On Oct 10, 2017
please house,does it mean that if the payment by ptad is by life pension. diseased staff will have lost out in all. .or is there any number of years that will be paid to the next of kin..
Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by Leocent(m): 7:33pm On Oct 10, 2017
Maprince4:
so no news yet on Nitel/Mtel
None yet. Even as at now.
Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by Daewoods(m): 8:22pm On Oct 10, 2017
obynolucy:
please house,does it mean that if the payment by ptad is by life pension. diseased staff will have lost out in all. .or is there any number of years that will be paid to the next of kin..

answers please!!

2 Likes

Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 3:28am On Oct 11, 2017
tobore09:

I'm afraid you might be talking out of utter ignorance which will not help anybody -
1. I don't know of any court verdict that authorized payment of 20yrs buyout. I neither know of anyone that claims to possess such document.
2. PENCOM is not a private outfit so couldn't have been owned by Halita or any person.
3. By PTAD's novel scheme, pensions are paid directly into pensioners' accounts through the Central Bank.
4. Mr. Mashi is working in tandem with Halita for life pensions yet he was disengaged in 2006 along with us so no one is trying to cheat anybody.
5. I was disengaged in 2006 and i prefer life pensions. FYI,, i'm 66yrs now and there is no reason why i can't live for more than 20yrs hence. Don't forget that pensions will continue to increase as wages are reviewed upwards. That is why we have an outstanding 33% increase to be added with arrears paid later.
6. Are you aware that the Oluti group and, perhaps, other buyout agents are angling to deduct 10% from our money if buyout is paid ?

I believe that items 1, 2 and 3 are being peddled by the Oluti and co to deceive their followers.

2 Likes

Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 3:30am On Oct 11, 2017
segzy3:
thanks for the enlightenment@brossiye, I hope all will be well if what national Secretary engineer olabode said is true that the issue has been settled.

Bro segzy3, please endeavour to confirm this all-important information and feed us back. We shall appreciate you for that.
Thanks.
Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by brosiye99(m): 9:15am On Oct 11, 2017
@Blackkukluxxlan: Thank you sir for your very enlightening write up. It is true that this Oluti and other buyer groups are motivated by greed. Heard on authority that the last bulk payment in 2011/12 some people such as the former GM legal Iyorkar got some good cut from the payment together with some union officials and even officials of BPE then because of this kind of fraudulent schemes of bulk payment. This cut was a few hundred millions on which i heard that some of them got as much as 20 million each. Imagine that. peoples sweat and you think you will enjoy that money well?
These buy out groups are very greedy. Imagine 10% of 200 billion to be shared by a few people. This is why they are pushing for pension buy out. This is peoples sweat and it will never be well with those who have those kind of plans. Life pension is the way to go. May God give all Nitel/Mtel Pensioners long life to enjoy the fruit of their labour. Amen.

Knowledge is power.
Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 11:11am On Oct 11, 2017
brosiye99:
@Blackkukluxxlan: Thank you sir for your very enlightening write up. It is true that this Oluti and other buyer groups are motivated by greed. Heard on authority that the last bulk payment in 2011/12 some people such as the former GM legal Iyorkar got some good cut from the payment together with some union officials and even officials of BPE then because of this kind of fraudulent schemes of bulk payment. This cut was a few hundred millions on which i heard that some of them got as much as 20 million each. Imagine that. peoples sweat and you think you will enjoy that money well?
These buy out groups are very greedy. Imagine 10% of 200 billion to be shared by a few people. This is why they are pushing for pension buy out. This is peoples sweat and it will never be well with those who have those kind of plans. Life pension is the way to go. May God give all Nitel/Mtel Pensioners long life to enjoy the fruit of their labour. Amen.

Knowledge is power.

Amen.
Cursed shall be anyone who schemes to deny me my legitimate rights and sweat.
Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by Daewoods(m): 1:27pm On Oct 11, 2017
brosiye99:
@Blackkukluxxlan:

Knowledge is power.
what about us the families of the deceased employees? I for example our father a NITEL staff died in 2011 what is our fate? need answers
Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 2:09pm On Oct 11, 2017
Daewoods:

what about us the families of the deceased employees? I for example our father a NITEL staff died in 2011 what is our fate? need answers

Go to PTAD's office, your best bet.
Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by Leocent(m): 2:15pm On Oct 11, 2017
BlakKluKluxKlan:

Amen.
Cursed shall be anyone who schemes to deny me my legitimate rights and sweat.

Amen. And so shall it be!
Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by Leocent(m): 2:38pm On Oct 11, 2017
I hereby propose that each interested people on this should set a date for prayer (I suggest Saturday 21st October 2017, 12.00 pm) to be observed in different places, with the different religions.

That God should remove all impediments/blockages blocking the payment of our rights to us. Be it issues. people or whatsoever.

Let us try this and see what happens. Please share.

3 Likes

Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by BlakKluKluxKlan(m): 7:05pm On Oct 11, 2017
Leocent:
I hereby propose that each interested people on this should set a date for prayer (I suggest Saturday 21st October 2017, 12.00 pm) to be observed in different places, with the different religions.

That God should remove all impediments/blockages blocking the payment of our rights to us. Be it issues. people or whatsoever.

Let us try this and see what happens. Please share.

Our mighty God may even resolve the issue before that date but your suggestion is good and noted.

1 Like

Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by Dagospelking: 7:17pm On Oct 11, 2017
God should please help us all... Let's us eat our furit of labour....
Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by obindomanya(m): 11:28am On Oct 12, 2017
Hello house
Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by Ancientdeb123: 6:40am On Oct 14, 2017
Pls segzy is it true dat oluti want halita to withdrawn nitel's document from ptad which halita did not respond to cos it not possible. And b4 dat i heard oluti & his group had a close door meeting is it true?
Re: Nitel Pensioners Should Come In by eddie7: 2:27pm On Oct 16, 2017
PTAD has invited D Board of Directors of NITEL/M-TEL again on Mon, 23rd Oct, 2017 in connection wt Verification exercise.
GOD is hearing Prayers.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (35) (Reply)

Nigerian Breweries Calling / Anheuser-Busch InBev Global Management Trainee (GMT) Program / Career Websites Of The 25 Banks In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.