Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,341 members, 7,808,203 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:37 AM

Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month (6194 Views)

Ahmed Mazloum Represents Nigeria On Kilimanjaro Mountain / Tips For Surviving An Airplane Crash / Surviving In America With No Relatives/friends:please Give Us Your Experience? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by Obodo999(m): 8:15pm On Apr 10, 2009
I am relocating back to Nigeria from the US. I have an investment that will earn me N80,000 a month.  I intend to live in a less expensive places in Ibadan. Away from Lagos or Abuja. I do not want to look for work but want to get busy and fit by coaching football to young people. I am single with no financial responsibilites and already completed my house in Ibadan. Will I survive on this amount?  grin cheesy
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by kokoye(m): 8:23pm On Apr 10, 2009
It is up to you I think. I'm sure there are husbands and fathers who make less than 80grand per month even in Lagos and they are still alive. So you are definately in a better situation as you have a house and no liability. Your priorities will determine ur expenses.

Good luck
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by diggler(m): 8:28pm On Apr 10, 2009
2nd d motion by kokoye

For a lot of ppl in this country that amount is about 5 times their ANNUAL income (remember a lot more aint got no income).

So unless u've got like 4 wives and 20 kids plus d 300 odd relatives, inlaws & general Dependants, u'll live & quite well too.
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by syskay(m): 8:28pm On Apr 10, 2009
If you intend to live a modest life, you will have no problems surviving with those figures.
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by otokx(m): 8:31pm On Apr 10, 2009
80k living in your own house is quite ok.
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by ollybosieb: 8:38pm On Apr 10, 2009
80,000 naira will sustain you monthly if you cut your coat according to your size. Word of advice, pls stay away from those relatives dat may want to suck you dry cos you are a  US returnee.
Goodluck to you.
iam moving to ibadan very soon too from the big apple.
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by RichyBlacK(m): 8:38pm On Apr 10, 2009
Food = N 750 per day (if you cook)
Transportation = N 250 per day (do you have a car?)
Miscellaneous expenses = N 1,000 per day (recharge cards, beer in the evening, etc.)

Total = N 2,000 per day or N60,000 per month

There is hope.
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by MrCrackles(m): 8:41pm On Apr 10, 2009
ollybosieb:

80,000 naira will sustain you monthly if you cut your coat according to your size. Word of advice, pls stay away from those relatives dat may want to suck you dry cos you are a US returnee.
Goodluck to you.
iam moving to ibadan very soon too from the big apple.

GBAM!
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by JJYOU: 8:43pm On Apr 10, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Miscellaneous expenses = N 1,000 per day (recharge cards, beer in the evening, etc.)

There is hope.
there is hope but dont forget to bring food for the boys you teach football.  things are cheap in ibadan too.

if u can aford it go with some solar energy panels to reduce the cost of your fuel for generator cos they always seize light in ibadan as they say. good luck
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by sammyzacks(m): 9:04pm On Apr 10, 2009
yes you can!
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by Redman44(m): 9:48pm On Apr 10, 2009
Nice move, mate. Ibadan is relatively cheaper to live in than Lagos. I also have plans to live in Ibadan in the near future. You can even survive on less than that amount in Ibadan monthly if you don't spend money unneccessarily. Get your food stuff from Bodija Market. Explore the ancient city very well and you'll get good bargains for everything you need. If you want a place to carry out research or to be able to read without distractions, go to the Dominican Library at the Dominican Seminary at Samonda, Ibadan, near UI. I wish you well. Cheers.
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by Nobody: 9:54pm On Apr 10, 2009
Don't let anyone deceive you. You will suffer with that amount oh.
Do you know how much it costs to run and maintain a generator in naija now.
I'm sure you wont live an extravagant lifestyle but you'd still want uninterrupted power in your home. Once you get used to 24/7 power, its tough to have to adjust to Nepa.
There will always be relatives that will bug you.
Even as a student, you come back from the states and people will still expect you to drop for them.
Car maintenance is another issue. You obviously dont want to start hopping "danfo" buses na.

Realistically, 80,000 is fair game but the conditions you'd have to live with will make you run back to the states.
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by Obodo999(m): 10:42pm On Apr 10, 2009
I might had come from US but I am a Nigerian. Forget these NEPA stuffs, it will not kill me. My house is well ventilated with fresh air. Apart from not getting sweaty in the middle of the night, I do not see any other ways which Electricity will be any use to me. I am not a stay-at-home-watching-TV person. Therefore no electric means good life for me. And this will enable to visit all these pepper soup joints. Abeg Naija sweet jare. Yes, I have my own small car that I will be managing. I don suffer all these years for America, All work no play. My plan is to enjoy the rest of my life. No more working for anyone, so no more stress. Others can take all the jobs in Oils, Gas, Banking industries for all I care.
My wife and kids will live in the US and they can visit me whenevr they want. I am even thinking of taking a younger second wife. But she must not be over the age of 21. Graduates need not apply, I even prefer if she no go school at all. Those kinds are respectful, not expensive to maintain and domestic. By the way I am 40.
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by kaypinchi(m): 10:54pm On Apr 10, 2009
Obodo! You try o.
Well done. But pls remember that your 80k income can turn to small change if not careful.
Many have worked out tight budgets, only to discover later that 'e no work'
Thank God you are away from Lagos where multiple taxes will swallow your '80 grand.
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by Nobody: 11:59pm On Apr 10, 2009
Hmm.
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by Nobody: 12:05am On Apr 11, 2009
Don't you feel a little funny leaving your family behind in the US?
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by blacksta(m): 12:06am On Apr 11, 2009
Obodo999:

I might had come from US but I am a Nigerian. Forget these NEPA stuffs, it will not kill me. My house is well ventilated with fresh air. Apart from not getting sweaty in the middle of the night, I do not see any other ways which Electricity will be any use to me. I am not a stay-at-home-watching-TV person. Therefore no electric means good life for me. And this will enable to visit all these pepper soup joints. Abeg Naija sweet jare. Yes, I have my own small car that I will be managing. I don suffer all these years for America, All work no play. My plan is to enjoy the rest of my life. No more working for anyone, so no more stress. Others can take all the jobs in Oils, Gas, Banking industries for all I care.
My wife and kids will live in the US and they can visit me whenevr they want. I am even thinking of taking a younger second wife. But she must not be over the age of 21. Graduates need not apply, I even prefer if she no go school at all. Those kinds are respectful, not expensive to maintain and domestic. By the way I am 40.

You are not serious you want to take second wife with 80k
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by tpia: 12:09am On Apr 11, 2009
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by Lax75(m): 12:12am On Apr 11, 2009
Aha! Now we see why u wan move go naija, Leave your family in the US and take on a second wife ehh? Your wife na akata or wetin? E be like say u dey run from somethin,
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by jaybee3(m): 12:13am On Apr 11, 2009
80k budget for yourself ALONE (no second wife, no awon bois come lets go drink and eat pepper soup cos you had be expected to pay all the time) should def be more than enough to live on.
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by Redman44(m): 12:21am On Apr 11, 2009
@Obodo999

I just checked The Dominican Library at Samonda, Ibadan, on the internet. The place has even gotten better. The Library is part of the Dominican Institute and seminary. There is always electricity at the place. I admire you for coming back to NAIJA. It takes courage for someone who has lived in an advanced nation to come back to settle in Nigeria. Please don't take a second wife below 21 years old. It is not worth it. Try and set up a business and use the skills you've gained in the States to build it and make more money. There are many returnees from foreign lands making it in Nigeria due to their exposure, hardwork and innovation.

Ibadan could be really exciting if you can take the time to discover the city. Cheers.
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by banom(m): 12:29am On Apr 11, 2009
RichyBlacK:

There is hope.

@RichBlack,
I think some how that your above list is incomplete, you can see that the poster loves women so let me help and try to complete the list,

1, Smoking=200 per day,
2, Clubing + Ashawo fee =6,500 per night,
3, Condom fee= 250 per packet
4, Recharge card ( plus the ones he will be sending to GIRLS)= 3000 naira per day.
5, Hanging out with ladies = 5000 per day

RichBlack add it and let us know the total.
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by Pataki: 1:04am On Apr 11, 2009
@ banom,
250 Naira for condom packet? shocked shocked Ashawo girls usually have condoms on them. So if he is going for ashawo babes, and he pays them 6,500 Naira, why does he need condoms again, it should come with the package of an ashawo? grin

@ Poster,

Have you thought of mosquitoes as well? I have a friend who just went back to Naija recently, everytime she is complaining of mosquitoes on her facebook profile.

RichyBlack, your costings are too simple. Have you incorporated the cost of buying table water, generating your own water supply? Cost of maiguard, etc?

Naija is a good place to live in no doubt. Just that the thought of no electricity is a living horror to most peoples mind including mine as well.
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by banom(m): 1:25am On Apr 11, 2009
Pataki:

@ banom,
250 Naira for condom packet? shocked shocked Ashawo girls usually have condoms on them. So if he is going for ashawo babes, and he pays them 6,500 Naira, why does he need condoms again, it should come with the package of an ashawo? grin

@ Pataki,
hmmmmmmmmmmm see the way you just analysed that ashawo stuff above like somone who has so many years of experience in patronising them. Any way RichBlack have taking note of your point and will do the proper calculations.
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by RICHIEBOI1(m): 1:57am On Apr 11, 2009
80,000 naira a month in this present naija well gud luck to you. guy you sure say no be child support and other bills they make you run from the US. my dear naija is not any beta oo! grin
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by platinumnk(f): 2:02am On Apr 11, 2009
Pataki:

@ banom,

@ Poster,

Have you thought of mosquitoes as well? I have a friend who just went back to Naija recently, everytime she is complaining of mosquitoes on her facebook profile.

RichyBlack, your costings are too simple. Have you incorporated the cost of buying table water, generating your own water supply? Cost of maiguard, etc?

Naija is a good place to live in no doubt. Just that the thought of no electricity is a living horror to most peoples mind including mine as well.

yes oh bring PLENTY of repellant, I thought I was going to die from the amount of mosquito bites i recieved! My sister even made a photo documentart of her mosquito bites on facebook.!
Obodo999:

You dont love your wife at all do you, you want to leave her there and let her raise the kids alone  Much less talk about a 2nd Wife!! Shame on you and we have the nerve to speak about AA ppl and how they abandon their families.  My uncle split with his wife and got a second one in 9ja, form what the kids were before and what they are now, I dont think  they have ever fully recovered. Think about what you doing, stop being selfish, I'm so surprised that ppl are helping u rather than chastising u for wanting to leave your home, then on top of that get a 2nd wife, so what do you think that Women are all disposable now SMH~
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by platinumnk(f): 2:11am On Apr 11, 2009
The OP is one of the main reasons I'm seriously considering not getting married. I'm bad by myself! This is foolishness! angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
I hate that Men are needed in this society as Validation. angry angry
Besides the fact that they can treat you like poop and get away with it.
I got my own good job,
Can buy my own house if I wanted to
Drive my own car
And own a business,
Can adopt kids later, (too many on the streets)
Errgh thats enough for now~ I hope ur wife is on NL
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by Pataki: 2:25am On Apr 11, 2009
banom:

@ Pataki,
hmmmmmmmmmmm see the way you just analysed that ashawo stuff above like somone who has so many years of experience in patronising   them. Any way RichBlack have taking note of your point and will do the proper calculations.
Years of experience? Lets just say, I am conversant with my environment. grin grin But seriously are ashawo in Naija now collecting 6,500 Naira? As at the last time I heard, it was 1,500 - 2,500 Naira. Abuja Zone2 Garki esp. Lagos Street are the most expensive according to what I heard though (5K for a come and do and 10K for overnight) Na wa o! But if he intends staying in Ibadan, then those ones are very cheap. 500 - 1,000 Naira is more than enough to satisfy those ashawo there in Challenge axis. grin

platinumnk:

You dont love your wife at all do you, you want to leave her there and let her raise the kids alone  Much less talk about a 2nd Wife!! Shame on you and we have the nerve to speak about AA ppl and how they abandon their families.  My uncle split with his wife and got a second one in 9ja, form what the kids were before and what they are now, I dont think  they have ever fully recovered. Think about what you doing, stop being selfish, I'm so surprised that ppl are helping u rather than chastising u for wanting to leave your home, then on top of that get a 2nd wife, so what do you think that Women are all disposable now SMH~
Oh the dude is even married with kids? Absolute rubbish. What nonsense. Why is the wife allowing him to go like that? I suspect the poster must be lying about something somewhere. undecided

My sister, there are still good men - good husband materials out there. Never have the notion that all are useless.
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by Nobody: 4:38am On Apr 11, 2009
Years of experience? Lets just say, I am conversant with my environment.   But seriously are ashawo in Naija now collecting 6,500 Naira? As at the last time I heard, it was 1,500 - 2,500 Naira. Abuja Zone2 Garki esp. Lagos Street are the most expensive according to what I heard though (5K for a come and do and 10K for overnight) Na wa o! But if he intends staying in Ibadan, then those ones are very cheap. 500 - 1,000 Naira is more than enough to satisfy those ashawo there in Challenge axis.

it would seem that pataki took FULL  advantage of the official stance on prostitution during his sojourn in the netherlands , and picked a few bad habits grin

i have to wonder just how he came by this knowledge. its not as if rates for prosties are in the pages of the Wednesday guardian, is it?

@topic, it depends on the standard of living you want. back in the day, in 2003, i subsisted on n29,000 per month. a year later , it was n35,000 per month. fortunately i was not paying rent. based on my experience n80,000 may not work if you do use a generator or a car.also, if you intend to chase women. . .
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by Kobojunkie: 7:43am On Apr 11, 2009
@Poster, try computing using a list like this one

Monthly calculations

Communication cost (phone/ refill cards):

Electricity cost:

Internet cost:

Feeding cost:

Egunje:

Water/maintaining well (if you have a well in your house):

Transportation/Cost of fuel and repairs to car(if you own):

Miscellaneous:
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by Nobody: 8:24am On Apr 11, 2009
They've turned this to an ashawo thread grin

@OP
It depends on your lifestle sha.
But 80k ain't much o.
When you come, u'd understand.

@Kobojunkie
How Ohio?
Lived at Blacklick, OH for years.
Re: Surviving In Nigeria On N80,000 A Month by sunnym(m): 8:45am On Apr 11, 2009
Remember to give the less privilege inside the N80k.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Pictures Of The Crashed Dana Airplane At Iju (agege) / Finland-how Is The Place / Nigerian Airports Ready For Christmas - FAAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.