Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,567 members, 7,809,066 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:11 PM

EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All (9321 Views)

Badman Binladin Music Is All Around Now / Interview: Wizkid – "Music Is A Universal Language, I Want To Leave A Legacy ” / Nigeria Music Is Sensational! Which Tribe Has Da Best Rhythms Igbo,Yoruba,hausa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by Jimyking(m): 2:38am On Sep 17, 2015
I am not writing this article to discourage anyone about taking music as a career, but I am writing this article to enlighten those who have already taken the step of determination and perseverance to be the next Wizkid or 2face.

The road to stardom is not a smooth ride. I’m sure every music star can attest to this. Every child nowadays no longer wants to be a doctor, a lawyer or even an astronaut. Music has become every child’s dream and due to this recent trend there has been an increase of school drop outs. The education system is dwindling and not up to 5% actually make it to stardom.

Lets’ transport our minds back to the good old days of the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s, When we had great musicians like Ebenezer Obey, Fela Anikulapo Kuti, Orlando Owoh, King Sunny Ade, Sir Victor Uwaifo, Majek Fashek, Bobby Benson and a host of other great talented musicians. Music back then was not congested; there were only a few spirited and talented ones who were able to pursue their dreams.

Education was key then and those who wanted to become a musician started as an apprentice under a well-known artiste or band. These musicians where well tutored because they performed and played with live bands making them a complete musician. The few who ventured into music in those days made it big and where recognised across the shores of the country. These artiste where courageous and most of them are recognised as legends today. How many of our artiste today in the next 20 years can be categorized as a legend that impacted in the lives of people. If you ask me I would say very few can fit into that shoe.

This goes out to every artiste out there who because were choristers in their churches feel music is the right path to take. It becomes a cliché to hear an artiste these days during interviews saying that they have always been a musician right from the age of 12 singing in their church or school. Being a good chorister does not make you a professional musician. Also having a very good voice does not make you a musician.

Taking music as a profession involves more than just knowing how to sing or a having a good voice. There is what we call the total package and only very few Nigerian artistes have it. There are some musicians who need to leave music alone and go back to wearing robes and singing on the altar. Music as a profession is not meant for all.

It’s not far-fetched why we have a lot of upcoming artiste who would never make it past going to free shows and submitting their records to deejays and still won’t be known maybe just their streets and neighbourhood. The answer is right in front of them. Every up and coming wants to be Wizkid or sound like Wizkid. There can be only one Wizkid, another is just a counterfeit. Upcoming artiste should learn to be creative in their lyrics, appearance, performance and should have an identity of their own. From my observation I have come to realise that in years that pass by, we only get to see not more than 3 upcoming artistes who manage to cross from obscurity to fame.

Music is not a do or die affair, neither is it a game of chess. Many go into music as their only way out to poverty or joblessness. But whether you want to venture into music as a career I employ you to first complete your education so that you’ll have a backup plan should in case you later realise that music is not your calling and you have already exhausted all your resources and time. Your certificate can still bail you out and if you are lucky you might still get a good job to finance your music career if you still haven’t given up on becoming a musician. I rest my case with this closing remark; one man’s meat is another man’s poison. Because your friend or brother has made it big in music doesn’t mean you can also make it big. Find your calling and leave music alone to the professionals and gifted ones. Music is not meant for all.

Article written by Jimmy King

Read more: http://gaspromotionsng.com/music-is-not-for-all/

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by Nobody: 6:46am On Sep 17, 2015
Nice!!!

Cc B-red, shina rambo, small doctor, and the rest

As for me, I got to change the rap game in nigeria! Watch out for Karo

BTW FTC

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by jeeqaa7(m): 7:22am On Sep 17, 2015
Truth

2 Likes

Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by j4sure(m): 7:22am On Sep 17, 2015
still reading
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by Ologogoro: 7:23am On Sep 17, 2015
Anyhow, but the sky is wide enough for all birds to fly without disturbing each other. And in Nigeria you don't even need sensible songs to make both sensible and mad money.

9 Likes

Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by bufness(m): 7:23am On Sep 17, 2015
true, meanwhile bored checkout www.galvinggrey..com.ng
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by Wazzaowner(m): 7:23am On Sep 17, 2015
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by mznuez(f): 7:23am On Sep 17, 2015
Tell them!they don't know nofin. cheesy

1 Like

Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by free2ryhme: 7:24am On Sep 17, 2015
make una ask wizkid wetin be his genre of music

2 Likes

Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by free2ryhme: 7:24am On Sep 17, 2015
hope Burna boy, Tontoh Dike, Dbanj, Kswitch etc are listening ooo

3 Likes

Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by Neduzze5(m): 7:24am On Sep 17, 2015
Preach the Gospel broda man!!

Some people just come on stage and start singing rubbish!!
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by Blanc8(m): 7:25am On Sep 17, 2015
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by Holuwakemmy16(f): 7:25am On Sep 17, 2015
Nice write up
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by Kreamie(m): 7:25am On Sep 17, 2015
Z
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by trigar12(m): 7:25am On Sep 17, 2015
Music is not for all. People just think abt the money, I go blow one day mentality.

You see them smoking cigarettes and cannabis to get inspiration, buh yet they are not good enough.

Me too dey get beleive say I sabi sing, if I get my mojo right I ll try my hands on music buh if I notice the song I composed is not soothing to my hears. I go stop kiakia. God bless our hustle

By the way where can I download Nigeria music instrumentals

2 Likes

Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by simplemach(m): 7:25am On Sep 17, 2015
leave them make all of them sing na, make we know who go listen to the other person own.

2 Likes

Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by Nobody: 7:25am On Sep 17, 2015
True that. But by God's grace, I'm Africa's next hitmaker. Keep your ears open, and your eyes peeled. smiley

2 Likes

Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by Fernandowski(m): 7:25am On Sep 17, 2015
#teamamericanmusic #wizkhalifa

2 Likes

Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by yuzjet(m): 7:25am On Sep 17, 2015
Why's OP getting confused with 'Where' and 'Were'

Points spotted on though.
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by adonbilivit: 7:26am On Sep 17, 2015
o.p that's wullop!
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by Nobody: 7:26am On Sep 17, 2015
Ok
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by butanepro(m): 7:26am On Sep 17, 2015
Great
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by pontirock(m): 7:26am On Sep 17, 2015
Gat nothing to say

1 Like

Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by ambient: 7:27am On Sep 17, 2015
i dont listen to nigerian music it gives me headache.....

4 Likes

Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by Albert0011(m): 7:29am On Sep 17, 2015
This message is specially meant 4 lynxx itunu my broda..pls tell him to cum bck home cuz we luv him.

6 Likes

Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by okeyximo(m): 7:29am On Sep 17, 2015
dropping my album soonest
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by Pavore9: 7:30am On Sep 17, 2015
Na by force for some! cheesy
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by okooloyun1(m): 7:30am On Sep 17, 2015
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by funmilade4real(m): 7:30am On Sep 17, 2015
Yes ke

Tarsh
Re: EDITORIAL: Music Is Not For All by kelvinatkins(m): 7:30am On Sep 17, 2015
I tire o

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Video: Asa - The Way I Feel / VIDEO: Timaya – 2 Stoopid / Download R City I’m Loosing It Mp3 & Lyrics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.