Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,384 members, 7,808,362 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:51 AM

Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful (16658 Views)

The Meaninglessness Of "I Have A Deep Personal Relationship With Jesus Christ" / Is It Biblical To Say "Develop A Personal Relationship With God"? / Pope Says This May Be Our Last Christmas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:32pm On Sep 17, 2015
Pope Says Having A Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous And Harmful

John 14:6 – Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

In this video the Pope says that the "only way" to connect with God is through the church. And that a personal relationship with Jesus is wrong. Which is incorrect. To have a personal relationship with Jesus wherever you are is Bible Scripture truth!

Here is what he said:

"There is no "do-it-yourself" in the church, no "freelancers." How many times did we hear Pope Benedict Describe the church as a "we" church? Sometime you may hear someone say, "I believe in God, In Jesus, but the church… I don’t care." How many times have we heard this? This is wrong. There are those who believe you can have a personal, direct and immediate relationship with Jesus Christ outside the communion and mediation of the church. These temptations are dangerous and harmful. They are, in the words of the great Pope Paul VI, "absurd dichotomies." It's true that journeying together is challenging, and sometimes it can be tiring: it may be that some brother or sister (in the church) makes us face a problem, or scandalizes us. But the Lord entrusted his message of salvation to humans, all of us, as witnesses; and in our brothers and sisters, with their gifts and limits, who come to us and make themselves known. This means belonging to the church…"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzOknuZ1d5w

http://www.godfruits.tv/pope-says-personal-relationship-jesus-harmful/?ref=8
Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by Nobody: 12:34pm On Sep 17, 2015
Haba Pope! I prefer that kinda harm!!!

1 Like

Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by DuchessLily(f): 12:36pm On Sep 17, 2015
modelmike7:

Abi oo
Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by slap1(m): 12:38pm On Sep 17, 2015
If he said that, then I disagree with him.
Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by ajasbaba(m): 12:39pm On Sep 17, 2015
wetin we no go hear for this world.

why pope again................
Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by Nobody: 12:45pm On Sep 17, 2015
I'll rather have a close relationship with my Lord and personal saviour Jesus Christ than d church where u'll find hypocrites.

So pope OYO is ur case here..
I totally disagree! undecided

3 Likes

Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by Juxtified(m): 12:51pm On Sep 17, 2015
Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by LadyMessi(f): 1:06pm On Sep 17, 2015
I prefer that kind of harm than going to him through the church.
Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by winner01(m): 1:17pm On Sep 17, 2015
Catholicsm is religion. The word of God is truth. Drop religion and embrace truth.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by donnie(m): 1:20pm On Sep 17, 2015
[quote author=OLAADEGBU post=38099567][/quote]

Umm, I think you quoted this man out of context here. Of course I know himself n d rest of the Roman catholic church put the church first b4 d bible. But the title used here is misleading.

I think he is giving the same admonishion as you'd find in Hebrews 10:25 and 1Pet3:8.

6 Likes

Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by elantraceey(f): 1:54pm On Sep 17, 2015
I rather not live than live without a relationship with my best companion . Pope that doesn't stop me instead it makes me want to work more in church just to see others develop the same closeness to God.

1 Like

Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by misreal(m): 2:30pm On Sep 17, 2015
Italo Italo. Abeg come and explain this to me.
Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by Nobody: 9:05pm On Sep 17, 2015
For him mind na
Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by Jeromejnr(m): 9:34pm On Sep 17, 2015
Even though I am not a Catholic,

I think his message was misunderstood. He was encouraging unity and fellowship with the brethren. And he discouraged the notion that one can do without the fellowship and communion of the assembly.

Even the bible speaks on the issue of not forsaking the assembly of beleivers.

I stand for the truth always even though I don't agree with most of their practice's.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by italo: 11:53am On Sep 18, 2015
misreal:
Italo Italo. Abeg come and explain this to me.

I support the Pope's biblical position 100%.

Show me one Christian in the Bible who had a personal relationship with Jesus and disregarded the Church?

Even St. Paul who met Jesus in a divine revelation...went to the Church.

But I know that you never answer questions like this.

6 Likes

Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by misreal(m): 2:23pm On Sep 18, 2015
italo:

Show me one Christian in the Bible who had a personal relationship with Jesus and disregarded the Church?

disregarded the church?lol....I didnt call you to argue sha,just to explain
n.
Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by misreal(m): 2:24pm On Sep 18, 2015
italo:

n...you need the church to mediate between you and Jesus??
Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by PastorAIO: 2:45pm On Sep 18, 2015
italo:

I agree with the Pope too. And the OP is trying to mirepresent what he is saying and the title of this thread is totally false.

There are those who believe you can have a personal, direct and immediate relationship with Jesus Christ outside the communion and mediation of the church.

There is NO (!) relationship with christ outside the communion. Anyone who says so is deceiving themselves and deceiving others. It betrays a totally lack of understanding of the dynamics of christianity.

it is this idea of personal relationship outside of communion that leads to thousands upon thousands of different churches with everybody getting a different message from the same god (apparently the same God).

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by italo: 5:42pm On Sep 18, 2015
italo:

misreal:
n...you need the church to mediate between you and Jesus??
Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by Nobody: 6:27pm On Sep 18, 2015
italo:

The op gave a misleading heading.
Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by Nobody: 8:01pm On Sep 18, 2015
The man of sin at it again...He has finally revealed himself. Smh!

Jesus Christ will soon rapture His bride...The time is nigh people!

2 Thessalonians 2:3-4

Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.
Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by Ubenedictus(m): 5:01pm On Sep 21, 2015
elantraceey:
I rather not live than live without a relationship with my best companion . Pope that doesn't stop me instead it makes me want to work more in church just to see others develop the same closeness to God.
you are getting the pope wrong.

The church is the "body of Christ". U cant claim to have a relationship with Jesus outside the body of Christ. That is a contradiction. Anyone who claims to have a relationship with God is a liar, a heretic who is harming both himself and d church.

2 Likes

Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by Ubenedictus(m): 5:04pm On Sep 21, 2015
DoubleDeeX:
The man of sin at it again...He has finally revealed himself. Smh!

Jesus Christ will soon rapture His bride...The time is nigh people!

2 Thessalonians 2:3-4

Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; who opposes and exalts himself above all that is called God or that is worshiped, so that he sits as God in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God.
weytin concern man of sin for inside dis issue.
Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by Ubenedictus(m): 5:07pm On Sep 21, 2015
elantraceey:
you are getting the pope wrong.

The church is the "body of Christ". U cant claim to have a relationship with Jesus outside the body of Christ. That is a contradiction. Anyone who claims to have a relationship with God outside his church is a liar, a heretic who is harming both himself and d church.

2 Likes

Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by Ubenedictus(m): 5:14pm On Sep 21, 2015
PastorAIO:

I agree with the Pope too. And the OP is trying to mirepresent what he is saying and the title of this thread is totally false.

There is NO (!) relationship with christ outside the communion. Anyone who says so is deceiving themselves and deceiving others. It betrays a totally lack of understanding of the dynamics of christianity.

it is this idea of personal relationship outside of communion that leads to thousands upon thousands of different churches with everybody getting a different message from the same god (apparently the same God).

seconded
Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by trapQ: 11:08pm On Sep 21, 2015
you and the pope are wrong. Christianity is not a religion but a relationship with GOD. Now, I'm not saying anyone should forsake the gathering of the brethren but discouraging people from having a personal relationship with Christ is very bad because that is the very essence of Christianity.
italo:

2 Likes

Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:21pm On Sep 21, 2015
modelmike7:

The pope means you have to join the Roman catholic church to be saved.
Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by italo: 11:21pm On Sep 21, 2015
trapQ:
you and the pope are wrong. Christianity is not a religion but a relationship with GOD. Now, I'm not saying anyone should forsake the gathering of the brethren but discouraging people from having a personal relationship with Christ is very bad because that is the very essence of Christianity.

1. Christianity is a RELIGION. Except you don't know what the word "religion" means. Read the dictionary!

2. Christianity is a relationship with God and neighbour. Read the Bible!

3. Neither I nor the Pope is discouraging people from having a personal relationship with God. We're condemning doing so without the Church. Read the speech!

5 Likes

Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:22pm On Sep 21, 2015
DuchessLily:

Abi oo

He will rather you join the RCC than to have a personal relationship with Christ.
Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:23pm On Sep 21, 2015
slap1:

If he said that, then I disagree with him.

The videoclip proves that he said it.
Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:24pm On Sep 21, 2015
ajasbaba:

wetin we no go hear for this world.

why pope again................

You don hear am who you go believe? Jesus or the Pope?
Re: Pope Says Personal Relationship With Jesus Is Dangerous and Harmful by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:25pm On Sep 21, 2015
lagmostkuit:

I'll rather have a close relationship with my Lord and personal saviour Jesus Christ than d church where u'll find hypocrites.

So pope OYO is ur case here..
I totally disagree! undecided

What's your problem with the church?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Sex Stories: Is It A Sin To Read Them? / Fetching Water In My Dream, What Does It Mean / Does Spending The Last Night Of The Year In A Church Service Make Any Difference

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.