Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,327 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:22 AM

Is Ford Escape A Good Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is Ford Escape A Good Car (15893 Views)

Angry Driver On Revenge Mission Flips Ford Escape SUV As He Tries To Hit A BMW / Is Ford Escape 08, 09 Series Good? / Is Ford Edge A Good Car (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Ford Escape A Good Car by shullamite: 7:56pm On Sep 19, 2015
Hello gurus in the house, pls I need advice on ford escape 2002 model, both neat nigerian used or tokumbor. What are the chalenges with the car, is it a user friendly car I.e fuel consumption, spare parts, resale value and any other info. Pls reply with good reasons.
Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by shullamite: 8:11pm On Sep 19, 2015
I need your inputes pls
Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by Fulaman198(m): 8:15pm On Sep 19, 2015
No, I would stay away from Ford in general. Americans don't build their cars with reliability in mind. They build it with mass production and making the most money in mind. I would look for a Toyota or Honda.

1 Like

Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by shullamite: 8:28pm On Sep 19, 2015
Thanks fulaman198

1 Like

Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by pato405(m): 9:25pm On Sep 19, 2015
Fulaman198:
No, I would stay away from Ford in general. Americans don't build their cars with reliability in mind. They build it with mass production and making the most money in mind. I would look for a Toyota or Honda.

BIG FAT LIE !!!

I totally disagree with this post!

Op, I would advise you to go for it. It's a very reliable car. I use one and it has never disappointed me. It's 2 yrs and still counting. As a matter of fact I have NEVER visited a mechanic for any reason to repair an major damage. I have only visited once to change the rear lamp which broke when I carelessly reversed without noticing a pole behind me. The parts are relatively cheap for a SUV. I got the rear lamp 6k - mind you, NO toyota/honda equivalent is less than that amount. Tiny light's rear light is about the cheapest @ 4k, and mind you it's a '99 car and not SUV! We should be comparing with CRV or RAV4 of same year which I'm sure might Not be less than 7k-8k.

Ford cars are highly dependable. You wont regret going for it. However, I will advice you to use the right/specified engine oil/ATF for the car - i.e Motorcraft/ 5w 20 or 5w 30 and oil filter - That's all! Don't ever use whatever isn't specified for the car. You can call me on 081-49777-036. I'm NOT a ford agent, I don't work with them, but I must tell you the FACT - FORD cars are solidly built and dependable.

13 Likes

Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by pato405(m): 9:38pm On Sep 19, 2015
shullamite:
Thanks fulaman198

Withdraw this 'Thanks' abeg! grin

When you ask, ask people who drive one, don't allow others who are simply biased and form their opinion out of sheer ignorance to deceive you.

Get a toks Escape and thank me later. I will advise against any Nigerian used car. Reason: Many Nigerians have a very poor maintenance culture. They dont mind using wrong parts, wrong engine oil, and patronize wrong mechanics. They eventually resort to selling the car when problems resulting from their poor maintenance habits become insoluble..and guess what? When you turn up as a potential buyer, You'll NEVER be told of the problems they've been grappling with - so you end up buying a pig in a poke - another man's whahala with your hard earned money. Nothing can be more painful than such. Pls go for toks and do a routine VIN check, Check milage, scan the car...if it's all OK, pay, service the car and you are good to go! cool

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by shullamite: 11:05pm On Sep 19, 2015
thank you for your detailed information. I will heed your advice.
pato405:

When you ask, ask people who drive one, don't allow others who are simply biased and form their opinion out of sheer ignorance to deceive you.

Get a toks Escape and thank me later. I will advise against any Nigerian used car. Reason: Many Nigerians have a very poor maintenance culture. They dont mind using wrong parts, wrong engine oil, and patronize wrong mechanics. They eventually resort to selling the car when problems resulting from their poor maintenance habits become insoluble..and guess what? When you turn up as a potential buyer, You'll NEVER be told of the problems they've been grappling with - so you end up buying a pig in a poke - another man's whahala with your hard earned money. Nothing can be more painful than such. Pls go for toks and do a routine VIN check, Check milage, scan the car...if it's all OK, pay, service the car and you are good to go! cool
Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:49pm On Sep 19, 2015
Sultan where r you? A fulani man is dissing your brand grin

1 Like

Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by Fulaman198(m): 12:28am On Sep 20, 2015
pato405:

BIG FAT LIE !!!

I totally disagree with this post!

Op, I would advise you to go for it. It's a very reliable car. I use one and it has never disappointed me. It's 2 yrs and still counting. As a matter of fact I have NEVER visited a mechanic for any reason to repair an major damage. I have only visited once to change the rear lamp which broke when I carelessly reversed without noticing a pole behind me. The parts are relatively cheap for a SUV. I got the rear lamp 6k - mind you, NO toyota/honda equivalent is less than that amount. Tiny light's rear light is about the cheapest @ 4k, and mind you it's a '99 car and not SUV! We should be comparing with CRV or RAV4 of same year which I'm sure might Not be less than 7k-8k.

Ford cars are highly dependable. You wont regret going for it. However, I will advice you to use the right/specified engine oil/ATF for the car - i.e Motorcraft/ 5w 20 or 5w 30 and oil filter - That's all! Don't ever use whatever isn't specified for the car. You can call me on 08149777036. I'm NOT a ford agent, I don't work with them, but I must tell you the FACT - FORD cars are solidly built and dependable.

Why are you being stup!d and wanting him to get a horrible product. What kind of a human being wishes the worst for another human being. Taken from an AMERICAN magazine. Do you honestly believe the Americans would willfully speak ill of their own product? American cars are not built to last. End of Story!

Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by Fulaman198(m): 12:29am On Sep 20, 2015
pato405:

Withdraw your useless and baseless statement. While I provide evidence you just speak utter jargon.
Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by kingreign(m): 12:35am On Sep 20, 2015
pato405:

shocked undecided you're bad.
Why would you wish an American car on your fellow brother man who's not your enemy?

1 Like

Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by kingreign(m): 12:38am On Sep 20, 2015
shullamite:
Hello gurus in the house, pls I need advice on ford escape 2002 model, both neat nigerian used or tokumbor. What are the chalenges with the car, is it a user friendly car I.e fuel consumption, spare parts, resale value and any other info. Pls reply with good reasons.
Buy Toyota or Honda, if you're sooooo aversive to Japanese, pls get a simple Volkswagen. Don't mind those clamouring for Ford. If you buy that crap, it won't be funny when the reality dawn on you.

1 Like

Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by sultaan(m): 3:54am On Sep 20, 2015
GAZZUZZ:
Sultan where r you? A fulani man is dissing your brand grin

What can I do Nigerians have their mind made up already, they will rather pay double for a Honda or Toyota.

OP buy the car you want and can afford.

Using Ford in Nigeria require that you get a good car in first place and know how to maintain it.

The first generation where not the best but problems are sometimes caused by lack of service.

Here is a link from users

http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/ford/escape/2002/single-page/

works well for some and a nightmare to others.

http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/honda/cr-v/2002/single-page/

http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/toyota/rav4/2002/single-page/

those are reactions to the competitors and it shows not every one can be satisfied.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by pato405(m): 6:34am On Sep 20, 2015
Fulaman198:

Why are you being stup!d and wanting him to get a horrible product. What kind of a human being wishes the worst for another human being. Taken from an AMERICAN magazine. Do you honestly believe the Americans would willfully speak ill of their own product? American cars are not built to last. End of Story!

guy, you are a confirmed Fulani nonentity. no apologies. in every car, there will always be one or two complains from users - particularly from stubborn users who don't heed to instructions.I have driven a well maintained explorer - It still drives without troubles today and has served 5 solid years. that was 3 years ago. that experience encouraged me to go for another Ford product..
I didn't like the size of the explorer, so I settled for an Escape - I bought it, and its been sweet. I REPEAT that, I've never visited a mechanic in 2yrs and still counting. in fact, the mechanic opposite my house does not like me because he feels that I don't want to patronize him.

I have no reservations recommending ford
Nigerians are just unduly biased against other cars. they only want to hear - Toyota or Honda.

4 Likes

Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by pato405(m): 6:53am On Sep 20, 2015
kingreign:

shocked undecided you're bad.
Why would you wish an American car on your fellow brother man who's not your enemy?

you are evil! why the campaign of calumny against a product you know next to nothing about?

did I read someone up there advising op to go for a volks? op, pls save your money and treck rather than heeding to such advise. I have 3 friends who drive volks (Passat and bora) and a neighbour whose Passat almost gave him hypertension until he sold it for a miserable amount. My other friends nko? their complains weren't different. according to the one who drove a Bora...he said: "Bora was the Germans greatest mistake"...their complains scared me from volks product. the only volks a little bit reliable is the golf...but newer models are fraught with problems...check my posts...I helped a colleague sell one lately here on nairaland, despite her good maintenance habit, the car gave her lots of electrical issues.

the only debate here is that Nigerians are averse to other products outside Toyota and Honda.

3 Likes

Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by shullamite: 7:00am On Sep 20, 2015
pato405:

you are evil! why the campaign of calumny against a product you know next to nothing about?

did I read someone up there advising op to go for a volks? op, pls save your money and treck rather than heeding to such advise. I have 3 friends who drive volks (Passat and bora) and a neighbour whose Passat almost gave him hypertension until he sold it for a miserable amount. My other friends nko? their complains weren't different. according to the one who drove a Bora...he said: "Bora was the Germans greatest mistake"...their complains scared me from volks product. the only volks a little bit reliable is the golf...but newer models are fraught with problems...check my posts...I helped a colleague sell one lately here on nairaland, despite her good maintenance habit, the car gave her lots of electrical issues.

the only debate here is that Nigerians are averse to other products outside Toyota and Honda.
Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by kingreign(m): 7:18am On Sep 20, 2015
pato405:

You are devil incarnated. How can you prod someone to buy an early year model ford, a ford escape so that he'll be come a scape goat in the hands of the ford escape and won't escape its evil defects?
You evil black man want a fellow guy to buy a car with extensive gearbox and engine, unintended acceleration, airbag and seatbelt palava?

In the whole of Europe, VW has one of the best reliability so no carry your bad mouth go there. How I no sure say na you be the kazeem wey dey pour salt inside the engine and gearbox of your friends and neighbour VW?
You sound evil to be trusted. Infact, OP buy Honda or Toyota. Boring or no boring won't give you night and day mares.
Over 30million Americans and Canadians can't be stupid to choose a Toyota and Honda over a Ford

2 Likes

Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by shullamite: 7:21am On Sep 20, 2015
[quote author=shullamite post=38188562][/quote]pls take it easy my bro, we don't need to use harch words on our selves. Thanks for all the valid contribution u gave me.
Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by shullamite: 7:26am On Sep 20, 2015
Thanks a lot for all your contribution, pls also calm down on the harch words, we are all brothers here.
kingreign:

You are devil incarnated. How can you prod someone to buy an early year model ford, a ford escape so that he'll be come a scape goat in the hands of the ford escape and won't escape its evil defects?
You evil black man want a fellow guy to buy a car with extensive gearbox and engine, unintended acceleration, airbag and seatbelt palava?

In the whole of Europe, VW has one of the best reliability so no carry your bad mouth go there. How I no sure say na you be the kazeem wey dey pour salt inside the engine and gearbox of your friends and neighbour VW?
You sound evil to be trusted. Infact, OP buy Honda or Toyota. Boring or no boring won't give you night and day mares.
Over 30million Americans and Canadians can't be stupid to choose a Toyota and Honda over a Ford
Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by pato405(m): 7:32am On Sep 20, 2015
kingreign:

mumu
White man's ass licker, uncle Tom.

op, dont buy a car with ball joint pulling arbitrarily on the road o! grin..when it happens, this guys pushing you won't be there to help you. I know you are a young man, and I understand how, sometimes, very arduous and challenging it is, in the present day and economy, to save 1mil to buy a car. It becomes even more frustrating and heart-rending when you buy the wrong car. I was once in this quandry, not knowing what car to purchase with my scarce and limited resource. In as much as a Totyota is good, the prices are hitting the roof! and way beyond the reach of many young men, who need a good car but a struggling to save such extravagant amount.

The question now becomes: What are the close substitutes for a Toyota?
and my answer: F-O-R-D! again and again!

reason for my answer? From my experience using 2 ford cars over the past years....'they have NEVER failed'. Never stopped me on the road. Reliable, dependable, & strong. skikena.

2 Likes

Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by pato405(m): 7:41am On Sep 20, 2015
shullamite:
Thanks a lot for all your contribution, pls also calm down on the harch words, we are all brothers here.

Don't beg him... that goes a long way to show you that he knows NOTHING! empty barrels make the loudest noise! imagine resorting to uncouth words, rather than logical, rational, and in-depth evidence based constructive debate. You want to take advise from this kind of a person? undecided
Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by kingreign(m): 12:52pm On Sep 20, 2015
pato405:

mumu
White man's ass licker, uncle Tom.

op, dont buy a car with ball joint pulling arbitrarily on the road o! grin..when it happens, this guys pushing you won't be there to help you. I know you are a young man, and I understand how, sometimes, very arduous and challenging it is, in the present day and economy, to save 1mil to buy a car. It becomes even more frustrating and heart-rending when you buy the wrong car. I was once in this quandry, not knowing what car to purchase with my scarce and limited resource. In as much as a Totyota is good, the prices are hitting the roof! and way beyond the reach of many young men, who need a good car but a struggling to save such extravagant amount.

The question now becomes: What are the close substitutes for a Toyota?
and my answer: F-O-R-D! again and again!

reason for my answer? From my experience using 2 ford cars over the past years....'they have NEVER failed'. Never stopped me on the road. Reliable, dependable, & strong. skikena.

You lack maturity. Taking a matured discussion to become a personal beef,
pato405:

Don't beg him... that goes a long way to show you that he knows NOTHING! empty barrels make the loudest noise! imagine resorting to uncouth words, rather than logical, rational, and in-depth evidence based constructive debate. You want to take advise from this kind of a person? undecided
Well, I got news for you, go and tie a big stone round your leg and take a dive from 3rd mainland bridge.
Even Henry Ford would get ashamed of you the way you're defending ford that even Americans denied. Ode.

1 Like

Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by ElRazur: 3:15pm On Sep 20, 2015
shullamite:

My brother drives a 2006 Ford Escape in Nigeria. It was a left hand imported from the UK. In fact, the car was from an American military personnel based in the UK here.

The car has been used to travel to a few parts of Nigeria and I have been inside it from Ilorin to Ife and for many daily use in Ilorin. My thoughts? A reliable car that I personally see nothing wrong with it. The ride is quiet on the inside and seem to absorb the bad roads well. The car has been in naija for three years or so now and the only repair that's done on it was when the car door was dented by the house gate. No mechanical failure and no issues that will give me any concerns if I am buying a Ford Escape.

I am buying a car in naija soon and I have it down as one of the alternatives I would consider. In my experience, I have nothing bad to say about Ford Escape. Even here in the UK, they've upped their game and they are easy and cheap to own and maintain. Finally, Ford that come to Nigeria are probably the one designated for America and in my experience they tend to come more kitted than their UK counterpart.

If you want to buy a Ford escape, I'll say go for it. However, don't be an average Nigerian and try to cut corners with servicing and looking after your ride because I= O. What you put in is what you will get down the line.

A Ford Escape from 2005 seem to retail for 800k - 1.5m. I think for what it does as s daily commute for social and pleasure, it is not bad. Good luck.

1 Like

Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by shullamite: 5:02pm On Sep 20, 2015
Hello bro, I apreciate your point, I have between now and on 10th october to finalise on my decision on the car to go for. But do u know much about the resale value in nigeria?
ElRazur:

My brother drives a 2006 Ford Escape in Nigeria. It was a left hand imported from the UK. In fact, the car was from an American military personnel based in the UK here.

The car has been used to travel to a few parts of Nigeria and I have been inside it from Ilorin to Ife and for many daily use in Ilorin. My thoughts? A reliable car that I personally see nothing wrong with it. The ride is quiet on the inside and seem to absorb the bad roads well. The car has been in naija for three years or so now and the only repair that's done on it was when the car door was dented by the house gate. No mechanical failure and no issues that will give me any concerns if I am buying a Ford Escape.

I am buying a car in naija soon and I have it down as one of the alternatives I would consider. In my experience, I have nothing bad to say about Ford Escape. Even here in the UK, they've upped their game and they are easy and cheap to own and maintain. Finally, Ford that come to Nigeria are probably the one designated for America and in my experience they tend to come more kitted than their UK counterpart.

If you want to buy a Ford escape, I'll say go for it. However, don't be an average Nigerian and try to cut corners with servicing and looking after your ride because I= O. What you put in is what you will get down the line.

A Ford Escape from 2005 seem to retail for 800k - 1.5m. I think for what it does as s daily commute for social and pleasure, it is not bad. Good luck.
Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by chucky234(m): 5:37pm On Sep 20, 2015
Na wa for some people oooo, so everybody should be buying Toyota and Honda abi.
The last time I checked Ford Fusion is still the best selling car, advising someone not to buy a car based on poor reliability rating is like saying people shouldn't get close to German cars for their poor reliability.
There are almost no bad car but bad owners, I see rickety Toyota cars on Lagos roads daily.

1 Like

Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by shullamite: 6:21pm On Sep 20, 2015
Thanks a lot bro
chucky234:
The last time I checked Ford Fusion is still the best selling car, advising someone not to buy a car based on poor reliability rating is like saying people shouldn't get close to German cars for their poor reliability.
There are almost no bad but bad owners, I see rickety Toyota cars on Lagos roads daily.
Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by ElRazur: 7:44pm On Sep 20, 2015
shullamite:
Hello bro, I apreciate your point, I have between now and on 10th october to finalise on my decision on the car to go for. But do u know much about the resale value in nigeria?

You won't get a lot of money for it simply because it is second hand (abi na third hand) plus people seem to have a misconception of Ford reliability. That will drive the resale value down in my opinion.

3 Likes

Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by Fulaman198(m): 8:22pm On Sep 20, 2015
pato405:

guy, you are a confirmed Fulani nonentity. no apologies. in every car, there will always be one or two complains from users - particularly from stubborn users who don't heed to instructions.I have driven a well maintained explorer - It still drives without troubles today and has served 5 solid years. that was 3 years ago. that experience encouraged me to go for another Ford product..
I didn't like the size of the explorer, so I settled for an Escape - I bought it, and its been sweet. I REPEAT that, I've never visited a mechanic in 2yrs and still counting. in fact, the mechanic opposite my house does not like me because he feels that I don't want to patronize him.

I have no reservations recommending ford
Nigerians are just unduly biased against other cars. they only want to hear - Toyota or Honda.

You don't even provide facts and so you insult my ethnic group like someone with half a brain. As expected from an uneducated bigot who talks only out of his rear end. Why am I even addressing someone with less education than myself.

Anyone with a tenth of a brain would never buy a Ford due to its horrific reliability. Toyota and Honda are #1 in reliability with most of their cars/vans/SUVs being recommended.

I have lost all respect for you (not that I ever had it to begin with).

1 Like

Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by Fulaman198(m): 8:24pm On Sep 20, 2015
ElRazur:

You won't get a lot of money for it simply because it is second hand (abi na third hand) plus people seem to have a misconception of Ford reliability. That will drive the resale value down in my opinion.

There is no misconception. American magazines have stated over and over again that Ford isn't capable in regards to reliability. Are you going to argue with experts?

Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by Fulaman198(m): 8:26pm On Sep 20, 2015
chucky234:
There are almost no bad car but bad owners, I see rickety Toyota cars on Lagos roads daily.

In what country or realm is the Ford Fusion the best selling car? It's definitely not the best selling car in America. That goes to the Camry which has been the best selling car since 2002 (followed by a car in a different class the Honda Civic). Stop trying to recommend bad cars for people.

3 Likes

Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by Fulaman198(m): 8:29pm On Sep 20, 2015
In the end Shullamite, you have a brain. You don't have to reason with no facts. Most people that are anti-Toyota/Honda are followers and have no sense of shame except to join the redneck white-Americun (pun intended) bandwagon. There is a reason why Asian cars are touted and respected for their reliability. There is a reason why Toyota had to train Ford in the 80s/90s on how to build better reliable cars. This is because Americans think with mass-production in mind (quantity over quality).

Toyota and Honda know they have big boots to fill, so they can only go down, so they are trying to remain at the top. In end, the decision you make is on you. If you choose to believe those who deceive you on here, in the end you will be the one paying for your own actions of believing nonsensical statements.
Re: Is Ford Escape A Good Car by Fulaman198(m): 8:38pm On Sep 20, 2015
kingreign:

Thank you for your honesty, very few people left you can trust

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

LASG To Start "No Inspection, No Roadworthiness Certificate" Policy By January / Innoson Plans To Establish New Plant In Owerri, Produce 60,000 Units Annually / Symptoms Of A Bad Or Failing Ball Joint

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.