Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,006 members, 7,806,923 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:04 AM

Paradox Of Polygamy - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Paradox Of Polygamy (3366 Views)

Why Is Polygamy Being Discouraged And Hypergamy Isn't Discouraged? / The Paradox Of Nigerian Men. The Most Hated And Loved On The Continent. / My Pillar Of Truth Behind the Truth On Polygamy. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Paradox Of Polygamy by ekemini606: 10:08pm On Sep 19, 2015
Once we begin to look at things through the lens of evolutionary psychology and biology, they start to look quite different. Something that we previously thought was quite bizarre and morally wrong, like polygyny, begins to look quite natural and common. The perspective also gives us a new insight, like how women, not men, mostly benefit in polygynous societies.

Contrary to popular belief, most women benefit from polygynous society, and most men benefit from monogamous society. This is because polygynous society allows some women to share a resourceful man of high status. George Bernard Shaw (who was one of the founders of the London School of Economics, put it best, when he observed, “The maternal instinct leads a woman to prefer a tenth share in a first rate man to the exclusive possession of a third rate one.”

Or, as the comedian Bill Maher asked his panel on his TV show Politically Incorrect on January 7, 1998, “Would you rather be the second or third wife of Mel Gibson or the only wife of Willard Scott?”, to which one of the panelists, the conservative commentator and activist Susan Carpenter McMillan, responded, “If it comes to Mel Gibson, I wouldn’t care if I was one, two, or three.” Of course, this was back when Mel Gibson was highly desirable. Substitute Matt Damon for Mel Gibson. The cast of characters changes in a decade, but the principle remains the same.

In contrast, most men benefit from monogamous society. Given a 50-50 sex ratio, monogamous society virtually guarantees a wife for every man, even a third-rate one. Under polygyny, some third-rate men may not find a wife at all, or, even if they are lucky enough to find one, their wife will not be as desirable as the one they can secure for themselves under monogamy, because under polygyny more desirable women would have become the second, third, or tenth wife of more desirable men.

The exceptions to this rule are highly desirable women, who benefit from monogamous society, and highly desirable men, who benefit from polygynous society. A highly desirable woman can marry a highly desirable man under any circumstances, but under polygyny she’d have to share her desirable husband with other women, whereas under monogamy she can monopolize him. A highly desirable man can acquire multiple wives under polygyny, but must confine himself to only one wife (albeit a highly desirable one) under monogamy.

It’s the nature of the statistical (“bell curve”) distribution, however, that most people are not extreme on either side; for example, most people are not extremely tall or extremely short, but of more or less average height. Similarly, most men and women are neither extremely desirable nor extremely undesirable. So most men benefit under monogamy, and most women benefit under polygyny.

When men imagine what living in a polygynous society might be like, they imagine themselves married to several wives. What they don’t realize, however, is that, more than likely, they would be left without any wife in a polygynous society. Polygynous marriage in a polygynous society is always limited to a minority of men. If 50% of men have two wives each, then the other 50% cannot have any wives. If 25% of men have four wives each, then the other 75% cannot have any wives. When women imagine what living in a polygynous society might be like, they imagine themselves having to share their current, no-good loser of a husband with other women. What they don’t realize is that they could be sharing Matt Damon or Bill Gates with other women.

://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/200802/the-paradox-polygamy-ii-why-most-women-benefit-polygamy
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by MrsChima(f): 10:17pm On Sep 19, 2015
I disagree. The man is still able to explore and sample in the name of polygamy.

According to some biblical logics if you are married when you married the second or third times, it is not valid according to the eye of the spiritual world.

I didn't mean to bring religion in it but marriage is a religious/spiritual thing. cheesy
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by Nobody: 10:24pm On Sep 19, 2015
Thanks to polygamy! Aunty kudi alatA finally got married grin
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by ekemini606: 10:32pm On Sep 19, 2015
MrsChima:
I disagree. The man is still able to explore and sample in the name of polygamy.

According to some biblical logics if you are married when you married the second or third times, it is not valid according to the eye of the spiritual world.

I didn't mean to bring religion in it but marriage is a religious/spiritual thing. cheesy

Biblical logic?

Bible does nt run on logic.

Anyhow you are being mono direction using christianity as case study.Consider also that Islam support polygamy. Since you decide to go the way if religion, you should argue the position of the other(religion) on the subject.
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by Nobody: 11:34pm On Sep 19, 2015
This post is senseless. smiley
MrsChima:

1 Like

Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by MrsChima(f): 3:53am On Sep 20, 2015
Teempakguy:

Said the senseless poster. kiss
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by luthorcorp: 4:38am On Sep 20, 2015
The most senceless post for the ember-month grin

Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by ekemini606: 6:51am On Sep 20, 2015
Are you seeing the number of single ladies, do you even know why its so. Did you even read the post.

Their are things, one can be illiterate about.
Am not senseless my friend.
Am an anthropologist.
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by Nobody: 7:55am On Sep 20, 2015
MrsChima:

kiss
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by scribble: 9:14am On Sep 20, 2015
MrsChima:

I actually agree with him

Try and use your brain
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by MrsChima(f): 11:24am On Sep 20, 2015
scribble:

I actually agree with him

Try and use your brain

You are irrelevant.

Next.
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by scribble: 11:26am On Sep 20, 2015
MrsChima:

You are irrelevant.

Next.

And you are?
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by ekemini606: 11:29am On Sep 20, 2015
If you think am senseless, answer this rightly.
Do you think most women prefer being your single wife, or Dingote's third ?
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by MrsChima(f): 11:31am On Sep 20, 2015
scribble:

And you are?

You wants some attention? Let's me find a who're that take charity cases.

Hold on.
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by MrsChima(f): 11:40am On Sep 20, 2015
ekemini606:
Do you think most women prefer being you single wife, or Dingote's third ?

I know it's hard to imagine given the global reputation, do you know there are women who isn't driven by money nor impressed with status?

Just because a woman is a 6th wife doesn't mean she is authentic. If I was a man and want multiple wives I would focus on what they can give me excluding toto and children.

I don't see how any woman who is sane will participate in a harem. I guess free will is also for the insanevas well! lipsrsealed
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by scribble: 11:42am On Sep 20, 2015
MrsChima:

You wants some attention? Let's me find a who're that take charity cases.

Hold on.

I pity the reta.rd that marries this one.
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by scribble: 11:44am On Sep 20, 2015
ekemini606:
Do you think most women prefer being you single wife, or Dingote's third ?

Please leave that aunty gwegz alone. Her brain is not ready to assimilate simple information.

Maybe she went to ekpoma and banged her way to a third class result and she wants to argue with the folks at psychology today whose kids are smarter than her right from kindergaten
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by MrsChima(f): 12:14pm On Sep 20, 2015
scribble:

I pity the reta.rd that marries this one.

I pity the bish that didn't swallow you.
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by Nobody: 12:20pm On Sep 20, 2015
MrsChima:

Teempakguy:

I agree. the name bible should not be found anywhere around the perimeters of any form of argumentation, unless It's Bible Studies or catechism class of course..
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by Nobody: 12:24pm On Sep 20, 2015
ekemini606:
“The maternal instinct leads a woman to prefer a tenth share in a first rate man to the exclusive possession of a third rate one

word...
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by scribble: 12:29pm On Sep 20, 2015
MrsChima:

I pity the bish that didn't swallow you.

Sorry I don't speak whorenglish

Are you referring to MouthAction

Your meal of choice?
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by MrsChima(f): 1:51pm On Sep 20, 2015
scribble:

Sorry I don't speak whorenglish

Are you referring to MouthAction

Your meal of choice?

Ladies...I get why you bishes swallow and abort. You bishes are doing the world a great service.

Keep on swallowing and aborting bishes. Don't mind that manbish, he is dying anyways.
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by scribble: 3:58pm On Sep 20, 2015
MrsChima:

Ladies...I get why you bishes swallow and abort. You bishes are doing the world a great service.

Keep on swallowing and aborting bishes. Don't mind that manbish, he is dying anyways.

Why are you gloating. Your father confided in me that you should have been a Ice-Cream dripping from your mama's a**l cavity but some accidentally spilled in her vajayjay

U lawma worker looking bish
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by MrsChima(f): 4:13pm On Sep 20, 2015
scribble:

Why are you gloating. Your father confided in me that you should have been a Ice-Cream dripping from your mama's a**l cavity but some accidentally spilled in her vajayjay

U lawma worker looking bish

This bish is pained. grin grin grin

Next!
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by scribble: 6:38pm On Sep 20, 2015
MrsChima:

This bish is pained. grin grin grin

Next!

Lol of course I'm pained

You been tugging on my nuts too hard

Ole sloppy top giving bish you

wink kiss
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by ekemini606: 6:44pm On Sep 20, 2015
MrsChima:

I know it's hard to imagine given the global reputation, do you know there are women who isn't driven by money nor impressed with status?

Just because a woman is a 6th wife doesn't mean she is authentic. If I was a man and want multiple wives I would focus on what they can give me excluding toto and children.

I don't see how any woman who is sane will participate in a harem. I guess free will is also for the insanevas well! lipsrsealed

First, polygamy wasn't design to favour or punish any particular individual. With polygamy everyone loose._but society. Demographically, there are more women than their are men to go round them. If you then decide to pair them(monogamy) their centainly would not be enought men to go round. IThis is the problem women are facing today. It often called " Flipside of monogamy"

Its harsh to say, but with monogamy, the majority of women would not be married.
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by MrsChima(f): 6:56pm On Sep 20, 2015
scribble:

Lol of course I'm pained

You been tugging on my nuts too hard

Ole sloppy top giving bish you

wink kiss

Epic failure! Ladies...keep on swallowing and aborting! grin
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by MrsChima(f): 7:00pm On Sep 20, 2015
ekemini606:

First, polygamy wasn't design to favour or punish any particular individual. With polygamy everyone loose._but society. Demographically, there are more women than their are men to go round them. If you then decide to pair them(monogamy) their centainly would not be enought men to go round. IThis is the problem women are facing today. It often called " Flipside of monogamy"

Its harsh to say, but with monogamy, the majority of women would not be married.

LMAO@that last sentence. grin grin grin

With the supporters of polygamy..DIVORCE is on the rise. grin
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by scribble: 7:07pm On Sep 20, 2015
MrsChima:

Epic failure! Ladies...keep on swallowing and aborting! grin

Certified olosho queen.

Promoting abortions and fella.tio

Let me get the Nairaland Name checkers Association to look into you

I bet you were 10 when you lost Your virginity and 11 when you contracted your first STD

I wouldn't be surprised to learn you're also a closet dyke
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by MrsChima(f): 7:25pm On Sep 20, 2015
scribble:

Certified olosho queen.

Promoting abortions and fella.tio

Let me get the Nairaland Name checkers Association to look into you

I bet you were 10 when you lost Your virginity and 11 when you contracted your first STD

I wouldn't be surprised to learn you're also a closet dyke

I touched this bish. grin grin grin

Truckpusher..I am now a dyke oga! Come cure me of my dykeness!! grin
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by Truckpusher(m): 7:29pm On Sep 20, 2015
MrsChima:

I touched this bish. grin grin grin

Truckpusher..I am now a dyke oga! Come cure me of my dykeness!! grin
There is nothing wrong with being a dyke - I like them that way,they are not usually stingy with the puccy. grin
Re: Paradox Of Polygamy by edwife(f): 7:35pm On Sep 20, 2015
Truckpusher:
There is nothing wrong with being a dyke - I like them that way,they are not usually stingy with the puccy. grin

This is all you know... undecided sad

(1) (2) (Reply)

Atheists, Agnostics And Freethinkers: Share Your Relationship Experience / Please Help Me On How To Get A Girlfriend Please / Most UNBELIEVABLE Coincedences Ever

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.