Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,283 members, 7,807,956 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:55 PM

Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills (48249 Views)

LUTH Detains Baby, Mother For Four Months Over Unpaid Bills (photo) / "I Had Ulcer, Doctor Touched My Breasts And Vagina At A Lagos Hospital" - Lady / Burial Of Lady Who Died During Childbirth In A Lagos Hospital (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by SassySteph(f): 7:05pm On Sep 20, 2015
Samaria Hospital, a private medical facility in Lagos, has detained a woman for more than one month over the woman’s failure to pay her bills.

The hospital, which is based in the Ikotun Egbe area of Lagos, has detained Jessica Ugwuoke since August 12, 2015, after the woman and her relatives said they could not afford to pay the bill for her Caesarean section (CS).

Mrs. Ugwuoke was transferred from a maternity clinic to Samaria Hospital, which is located on Kudaki Road near Hostel bus stop in Egbe, Lagos State. The patient’s husband, Tochukwu Ugwuoke, was asked to pay N30,000 for blood transfusion into his wife, reported to have lost a lot of blood during labor. The couple’s birth died.

After the loss of her child, Mrs. Ugwuoke has been detained by the hospital for failure to pay the hospital’s bills, which came to N285,000. The detained patient told a correspondent of SaharaReporters that the couple was not informed of the cost of the Caesarean section until after the surgery.

According to her, one Dr. Clem ordered that she be denied a hospital bed and refused her further treatment after her surgery because she and her husband could not pay the amount of the bill.

“The day they discharged me from the bed, Dr. Clem asked me to tell my husband to bring his money even if he [my husband] has to steal,” the woman said. “I have been lying down on the passageway,” Mrs. Ugwuoke added.

SaharaReporters learned that the detained patient’s husband, who is currently unemployed, had pleaded with the hospital to release his wife, promising to seek a loan to pay her hospital expenses, but the hospital declined his request.

Mrs. Ugwuoke, who is chained to a urinal pipe to forestall her escape, described her treatment as dehumanizing. She pleaded with the Lagos State government and human rights organizations to intervene to ensure her release.

http://saharareporters.com/2015/09/20/lagos-hospital-detains-woman-more-month-over-unpaid-bills

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by chocolateme(f): 7:05pm On Sep 20, 2015
Chai! Upon all their professionalism, (the newborn did not make it) yet forsaking the agonies of a mother who just lost her baby.
We understand that the hospital doesn't have to give her their services for free but using their humanitarian dispositions would have gone a long way got the two parties, her health matters too especially after a Caesarian session to prevent her dying on their hands due to ill treatment.
Pls what kind of CS amounts to almost 300k?
RIP to the infant.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by olowookerekemi(f): 7:08pm On Sep 20, 2015
nawa oo after loosing d baby its a pity dat she is being treated lik dis

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by sukkot: 8:29pm On Sep 20, 2015
shyttt
Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by 7footre(m): 8:29pm On Sep 20, 2015
Man unkind to man

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by klem93(m): 8:29pm On Sep 20, 2015
Though the blood is gotten with the use of money but at least for the sake of the lost child... the hospital should have at least in a way try and let her not feel it much... actually she is gonna pay back but not through chaining her down na... or will chaining her down work and bring down the money.... Or NOW I UNDERSTAND THIS IS ANOTHER MEANS OF ALERTING THE GOVERNMENT RIGHT MAKE THEM COME HELP HER ABI?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by idris4r83(m): 8:30pm On Sep 20, 2015
The hospital management are very callous for doing that. It is pitiable that the hospital staffs have forgotten that the joy of medical profession is not all about money. What type of cs cost almost 300k? How much is even the cs consumables that warrants paying almost 300k.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by myners007: 8:30pm On Sep 20, 2015
Ambode do something Pls

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by Sweetyie(f): 8:30pm On Sep 20, 2015
Chaaaaiii. Diaris God oh
Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by mosho2good: 8:30pm On Sep 20, 2015
pls who have d highlight of d match between Nigeria and India 99-0

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by Flashh: 8:30pm On Sep 20, 2015
And where is her husband or relatives?

When I have my own private hospital I won't treat my patients this way.

BTW... They supposed to have planned for this already, 9 months is enough to fish for the bills.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by Nopeace4dwicked: 8:30pm On Sep 20, 2015
Always tank GOD for gud health

10 Likes

Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by MARINS(f): 8:30pm On Sep 20, 2015
angry angry
Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by Pidggin(f): 8:30pm On Sep 20, 2015
Only in Naija
Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by sexaddict08(m): 8:30pm On Sep 20, 2015
hmnn....crazy things in Africa
Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by Dcaliphate(m): 8:30pm On Sep 20, 2015
more money less nonsense, i must succeed well in life

7 Likes

Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by david22uu(m): 8:30pm On Sep 20, 2015
NAWA... WHERE IS LADY F
Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by lolaxavier(m): 8:31pm On Sep 20, 2015
shocked
Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by Raymondville(m): 8:31pm On Sep 20, 2015
drama
Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by favourlove1: 8:31pm On Sep 20, 2015
Most medical practitioners in nija are heartless.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by GodblessNig247(m): 8:31pm On Sep 20, 2015
Is rather unfortunate. They treated her badly. They are kamrapt and must be probed. God bless Big 247
Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by jhydebaba(m): 8:32pm On Sep 20, 2015
LAGOS na wah! Authorities should take note of the activities of these Private hospitals.
Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by damton(m): 8:32pm On Sep 20, 2015
It's not good to jump into conclusion hastily. There are cases where hospitals have showed some level of compassion on their patients and have been disappointed at the end. But then dat does not warrant any dehumanizing treatment. And You should know that these hospitals runs on money.

11 Likes

Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by dOnLarich: 8:32pm On Sep 20, 2015
Too bad
Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by Bjergtrolde: 8:32pm On Sep 20, 2015
chocolateme:
Chai! Upon say their professionalism led to a loss of life (the newborn ) yet forsaking the agonies of a mother who just lost her baby.
We understand that the hospital doesn't have to give her their services for free but using their humanitarian dispositions would have gone a long way got the two parties, her health matters too especially after a Caesarian session to prevent her dying on their hands due to ill treatment.
Pls what kind of CS amounts to almost 300k?
RIP to the infant.

I did not read anything about lack of professionalism leading to the death. Can you please point to your source please?
On a more important note, can NL help raise funds for this family?

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by mizvee(f): 8:32pm On Sep 20, 2015
Nawao
Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by GodblessNig247(m): 8:32pm On Sep 20, 2015
Is rather unfortunate. They treated her badly. They are quarapt and must be probed. God bless Big 247
Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by Opistorincos(m): 8:32pm On Sep 20, 2015
Wicked souls
Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by shammah1(m): 8:33pm On Sep 20, 2015
That's unfair and inhuman
Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by NinaArsenal(f): 8:34pm On Sep 20, 2015
Wicked world
Re: Lagos Hospital Chains Woman To Urinal Pipe Over Unpaid Bills by paul288yahoo(m): 8:34pm On Sep 20, 2015
j

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Who Returned From India In January Dies Of Coronavirus Disease In Lagos / How Do Some Ebola Patient Survive Why Others Don't? Here Is Why. / Coronavirus: Dr. Amarachukwu Karen Allison Who Suspected Index Case In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.