Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:30 AM

Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum (265058 Views)

Job opportunities 4 Medical Laboratory Scientists in nigeria / Medical Laboratory Scientists(internship) / Where Do Science Laboratory Technology Graduates Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (51) (Reply) (Go Down)

Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by benard08(m): 11:01am On Apr 14, 2009
There is a group of health professionals who scientifically analyze body fluid of humans and animals for the purpose of medical diagnosis, treatment and research. Causes of ailments are established and chemotherapeutic agent recommended. They also monitor the response to therapy. These professionals are called Medical Laboratory Scientists.
If you are one them in nairaland, speak out in this post.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by chynenye(f): 12:34am On Apr 18, 2009
Yea! I'm a member of this group of unique professionals. A proud medical laboratory scientist with specialty in medical parasitology. Its great being a solution provider to hypothesis in diagnosis.

7 Likes

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by jovlar1979(m): 8:55am On Apr 18, 2009
Sir,thanks for this topic.It`s a good way to create for us an online awareness.I`m proud to be part of this group of noble professionals.

I have packaged a blog for other colleagues and members of this forum to learn more about Heart disease,foods,and management.

It`s my pleasure to introduce to you;

HEALTHY LIVING!
http://healthy-heart-foods..com/

Please i need your comment on this blog so as to improve on it.

Sir,i`m still in Ado Ekiti and doing well.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by dominique(f): 8:13pm On Apr 18, 2009
@poster
nice thread (why diddnt i think of it). i used to be a lab scientist during my IT days. it was really interesting and very challenging and i have to say, medical lab scientist are the most underated and uncelebrated in the medical field. we do all the dirty work and the doctors get all the praise and recognition. not fair sad

2 Likes

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by benard08(m): 9:36am On Apr 21, 2009
Thanks to all you who responded to my clarion call on nairaland. Chinnonye, jovlar, domique-thumb up for all of you. I'm proud of your presence here. Very soon, you'll be part of the revolution ICT can impact on the profession.

Chinonye, where are you practicing? I am interested.

Jovlar, I am happy you are enjoying your time at Ado Ekiti. I'll definitely check out your blog. Trust that I will leave a comment for you.

Dominique, your comment reminds me of the hard times the profession has passed through but cheer up, we are already on the path to self actualization. The evolution of
the profession in Nigeria is dramatic and interesting. Very soon, we'll get to our Canaan land. You surely understand that no one can cover the glory of the sun.

I left some powerful resources for you all as a bonus for being proud of your profession at http://www.benardsolomon.com

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by doklink: 10:42am On Apr 22, 2009
hi to all the medical lab scientist in the house.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by benard08(m): 1:06pm On Apr 22, 2009
welcome too doklink. Could you please introduce yourself to the house?
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by chynenye(f): 1:51am On Apr 23, 2009
@Benard, i checked out ur site and i must say its wonderful. U r really doin a great job. Pls keep d flag flying.
@Jovlar, I enjoyed reading through ur posts. Very educative i must say. Do keep up the good work. I urge every member of this forum to check it out.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by benard08(m): 8:49am On Apr 23, 2009
Chynenye, thanks for visiting my site. Your compliment is highly encouraging.
I'll be glad to have you leave a comment there at http://biomedicalinternet..com
when next you visit. Your criticism can also help me to improve on the quality of the content to make it more valuable to biomedical scientist anywhere in the world.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by chynenye(f): 11:01am On Apr 23, 2009
Benard, i left a comment for you. I dont hv any criticism for now. I will certainly let u know when i do.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by chynenye(f): 11:02am On Apr 23, 2009
Benard, i left a comment for you. I dont hv any criticism for now. I will certainly let u know when i do.

1 Like

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by benard08(m): 5:00pm On Apr 23, 2009
Thanks chynenye, you are a star. I'll sure keep in touch through your comment on my site.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by benard08(m): 5:14pm On Apr 23, 2009
Jovlar hope you are still there? Since I visited your blog, I have been thinking of how to help you customize the blog into a simple, professional minisite guaranteed to improve your rating.

You can use the same tool I used for mine at
http:///deehx9

Contact me through megastock14@yahoo.com if you are having any problem with it.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by benard08(m): 5:56pm On Apr 23, 2009
The Medical Laboratory Council Of Nigeria has publicly announced this year's World Biomedical Science Day. It is scheduled to hold between Monday 27th-Wednesday 29th April, 2009.
Venue: Nigerian Institute Of Medical Research, Yaba

Guest Speaker: Prof. E.E.U. Akang, U.C.H., Ibadan.

Registration is free.

You can pass this information to others.

Cheers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by darren20(m): 3:48pm On May 04, 2009
Hi,how much really do med lab scientist earn in Nigeria?
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by benard08(m): 10:34am On May 06, 2009
Here is the Federal Government salary range for MLS in Nigeria

Intern MLS is the least-About  N70,000 monthly

Director Salary is around N350,000 monthly

Labor unions are currently vigorously agitating for significant increase in emolument.

cheers
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by benard08(m): 10:42am On May 06, 2009
What has the science of histopathology got to do with public health? Most young women die from cervical cancer which has turned out to be a notable public health issue in Nigeria and yet it is preventable. It is with the intent of addressing this problem and share more information with the public that informed the giant step taken by the Medical Laboratory Council Of Nigeria to make it the frontal issue as she celebrates the 2009 World Biomedical Day.
Dr. J-Egwuonwu is the Coordinator  of the National Cervical Cancer Prevention Program(NCCPP). Here are some of his thoughts on this issue culled from the Guardian(Sunday May 3, 2009) pg. 18…,

Preamble
Cervical cancer is a malignant cancer of the cervix uteri or cervical area.  This disease causes the cells of the cervix to grow abnormally.  If not treated early, it can cause death.  Signs and symptoms include irregular bleeding from the vagina such as bleeding after menopause or after sexual intercourse.
It may also present with vaginal bleeding but symptoms may be absent until the cancer is in its advanced stages.  Treatment consists of surgery-local excision-in early stages and chemotherapy and radiotherapy in advanced stages of the disease.
Pap smear screening can identify potentially pre-cancerous changes.  Treatment of high grade changes can prevent the development of cancer.  In developed countries, the widespread use of cervical screening programs has reduced the incidence of invasive cervical cancer by 50% or more.
Human papillomavirus(HPV) infection is a necessary factor in the development of nearly all cases of cervical cancer.  HPV vaccine is effective against the two strains of HPV that cause most cervical cancer.  It has been licensed in the United States and European Union.  These two HPV strains together are currently responsible for approximately 70% of all cervical cancers.  Since the vaccine only covers some high-risk types, women should seek regular Pap smear screening even after vaccination.
About 0.5% of cervical cancers occur in pregnant women and about one third of women are under 35 years when given the diagnosis.  The survival rates for the pregnant versus the non-pregnant woman are very similar.  It is safe to have a Pap smear during a prenatal stage.
There are two types of cervical cancer- Squamous cell cancer and Adenocarcinoma.  These are both named after the type of cell that becomes cancerous.  In the early stages of the disease known as 1A and 1B, the cancer starts to grow into the deeper tissues of the cervix.
This is treated with surgery or radiotherapy.  The same treatment is given for stages 2A and 2B where the cancer spreads around the neck of the womb.  In stages 3A and 3B, the cancer spreads into the pelvis; this is treated with radiotherapy and chemotherapy.
The most serous stages of the disease are 4A and 4B, where the cancer spreads to other organs.  This often includes a combination of surgery, radiotherapy and chemotherapy.

CAUSES OF THE DISEASE
The HPV infection is a necessary factor in the development of almost all cases of cervical cancer.  It happens when normal cells in the cervix change into cancerous cells.
This change normally takes several years –five to 30, but can also happen in a short amount of time. before the cells turn into abnormal cells develop on the cervix that can be found by a Pap test
Prior to diagnosis, cervical cancer wasn’t given the attention it requires.  Although the number of cases of the disease has halved in recent years, it remains the second most common cancer in women under the age of 35.
To start with, cervical cancer affects the cervix-the lower part of the womb, also known as the uterus.  According to Macmillan Cancer Support, it can take many years to develop.
It occurs when abnormal cells contained in the cervix known as cervical intraepithelial neoplasia (CIN), become diseased.  CIN is as a result of virus infection referred to as the human papillomavirus(HPV).  It is mainly passed on during sexual intercourse.
Most women who have had unprotected sexual intercourse in their lives will contract the virus but in most cases, their immune system removes it and they won’t know they’ve had it.  Women are said to be more prone to developing cervical cancer if they smoke; start to have sex at an early age; have many sexual partners; have taken the contraceptive pill for a long time or have a weakened immune system.  These are referred to as behavioral risk factors.

SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
The early stages of cervical cancer may be completely asymptomatic; vagina bleeding contact bleeding or a vaginal mass may indicate the presence of malignancy.   Also, moderate pain during sexual intercourse and vaginal discharge are symptoms of cervical cancer.  In advanced disease, metastasis may be present in the abdomen and lungs or elsewhere.
Symptoms of advanced cervical cancer may include among others loss of appetite, weitht loss, fatigue, pelvic pain, back pain, leg pain, single swollen leg, heavy bleeding from the vagina, leaking of urine or faeces from the vagina and bone fractures.

PREVENTIVE MEASURES
Regular screening can increase the survival rate of cervical cancer by 75%.  In order to identify and treat CIN cells in good time, women must have smear tests.  About 4.4 million women are invited for cervical screening each year in England with about 24, 000 of them having a severely abnormal cervical screening result.
Women are invited to attend a smear test from the age of 25 to 65 although, if sexually active, women are encouraged to come for testing form the age of 20.   They are given every three years up until the age of 49 and then every five years from the ages of 50 to 64.

HOW TO GO ABOUT TESTING AND SCREENING
The test itself involves a doctor or nurse inserting a spatula into the vagina to take a sample of cells. These cells are then taken to a lab for inspection.  Although slightly an uncomfortable procedure, it is quick, painless and saves lives.
At least women should go for test once every year.  The good news is that, if spotted early enough, cervical cancer is very treatable.  So it is important that women everywhere take regular smear tests.
The most serious stages of the disease are 4A and 4B, where the cancer spreads to other organs.  This often includes a combination of surgery, radiotherapy and chemotherapy.

THE ROLE OF NCCPP TO CONTROL THE SCOURGE
Recently, the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria(PFN) in partnership with NCCPP embarked on a nationwide free screening and treatment of cervical cancer for the women above 18 years in the country-a program aimed at reducing the scourge in the country by the end of 2009.  the program was focused manly on the screening and treatment of 100,000 women especially the under priviledged women in the rural areas.
It has been observed that less than 0.1% of Nigerian women avail themselves this screening and less than 1! Are aware of the existence of this killer disease, thereby killing a woman every one hour.  Although it is the easiest of all cancers to prevent, cervical cancer kills more 24-35 year old women in our society than any other cancer in any other part of the world.
The World Health Organization (WHO) has projected a 25% rise in the disease over the next decade in the absence of widespread intervention.
It takes N1000 to screen one woman, but a good number of under privileged ones cannot afford it.  And that is why we are calling on the government to invest in  it and save mothers’ lives from this preventable disease.  Also recently, NCCPP collaborate with MLSCN to educate mothers and women on the streets of Lagos about the cancer as well as the prostrate cancer in males as a part of the activities to mark the World Biomedical Science Day-a day set aside to highlight the role of the medical lab scientist in the public health with ‘Cancer’ as this year’s theme.

TREATMENT OF CERVICAL CANCER
MICRO-INVASIVE  cancer (Stage 1A) is usually treated by hysterectomy, which means removal of the whole uterus including part of the vagina.  For stage 2A, the lymph nodes are removed as well.  An alternative for patients who desire to remain fertile is a local surgical procedure(LEEP) or cone biopsy.
If a cone biopsy does not produce clear margins, one more possible treatment option for patients, who want to preserve their fertility is a trachelectomy.  This attempts to surgically remove the cancer while preserving the ovaries and uterus, providing for a more conservative operation than a hysterectomy.
It is a viable option for those in stage 1 cervical cancer, which ahs not spread.  However, it is not yet considered a standard cure , as few doctors are skilled in this procedure.  Even the most experienced surgeon cannot promise that a tracthelectormy can be performed until after surgical microscopic examination, as the extent of the spread of cancer is unknown. 
If the surgeon is not able to microscopically confirm clear margins of cervical tissue once the patient is under general anesthesia in the operating room, a hysterectomy may still be needed.
This can only be done during the same operation, if the patient has given prior consent.  Due to the possible risk of the cancer spreading to the lymph nodes in stage 1B cancers and some stage 1A cancers, the surgeon may also need to remove some lymph nodes from around the uterus for pathologic evaluation.
A radical trachelectomy can be performed abdominally or vaginally and there are conflicting opinions as to which is better.  A radical abdominal trachelectomy with lymphadenectomy usually only requires a two to three day hospital stay and most women recover very quickly.
Complications are uncommon, although women who are able to conceive after surgery are susceptible to pre-term labour and possible late miscarriage.  It is generally recommended to wait at least one year before attempting to become pregnant after surgery.
Recurrence in the residual cervix is very rare if the cancer has been cleared with the trachelectomy.  Yet, it is recommended for patients to practice vigilant prevention and follow up care including pap screenings, colposcopy, withbiopsies of the remaining lower uterine segment as needed-every 3-4 months for at least 5 years-to monitor for nay recurrence in addition to minimizing any new exposures to HPV through safe sex practices until one is actively trying to conceive.
Early stages less than 4cm can be treated with radical hysterectomy with removal of the lymph nodes or radiation therapy.  Radiation therapy is given as external beam radiotherapy to the pelvis and brachytherapy.
Patients treated with surgery who have high risk features found on pathologic examination and chemotherapy in order to reduce the risk of relapse.
Larger early stage tumors more than 4cm may be treated with radiation therapy and cisplatin-based chemotherapy, hysterectomy or cisplatin chemotherapy followed by hysterectomy.
Advanced stage tumors are treated with radiation therapy and cisplatin-based chemotherapy.  On June 15, 2006, the US Food and Drug Administration approved the use of a combination of two chemotherapy drugs, hycamtin and cisplatin for women with a late-stage cervical cancer treament.
Combination treatment has significant risk of neutropenia, anemia and thrombocytopenia side effects.

5 Likes

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by chynenye(f): 3:07am On May 11, 2009
Nice post, Bernard. This year's theme is really a great one. Medical laboratory scientists must realize how vital their role is in public health especially in curbing this menace called cancer. MLSCN must be commended for enlightening the public on this silent killer that seems to derive little or no attention.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Wumami: 1:23pm On May 11, 2009
So sorry about this intrusion, how do I create a new thread. Help a sis peeps,
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by dominique(f): 1:32pm On May 11, 2009
Wumami:

So sorry about this intrusion, how do I create a new thread. Help a sis peeps,

how u take find your way here undecided. its no biggy just click here

1 Like

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by ElRazur: 2:11pm On May 11, 2009
Nice to see you guys. I work as BMS here in the UK. smiley I will make contribution when necessary.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by charlisco(m): 4:08pm On May 11, 2009
I am one too, studying Science Lab Tech @ Petroleum Traning Institute (PTI)
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by wuni: 3:38am On May 12, 2009
Hi Oga mi
How are you, you are doing a good job there, I saw your article on the journal of histotechnology, about the substitute for hematoxylin, that is nice, and here you are now, I really appreciate your effort about histotechnology and Medical sciences generally.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by benard08(m): 10:31am On May 12, 2009
I welcome all the new entrants to the forum both home and abroad. It is nice to get connected to all of you and I wish you all the best. Together, we shall raise the standard and awareness about the profession for the benefit of our people.

Wuni, thanks for your complements and due recognition of my humble effort. I'm proud of you too for finding your way to nairaland. MLS at nairaland are great.
Wuni, this is specially for you check it out at http://histopathologyresearchresources..com

Just yesterday, I almost lost all the effort I had put up to contribute my own quota to the development of the profession through nairaland -Nigeria's most-sought after authentic forum both home and abroad. It is no joke that today, nairaland boasts of more than 3 million members.

So what was the gist? I was banned by default! Thanks to the administrator-our most reverred, strict, benevolent and kind Seun who wasted no time in restoring my posting priviledges. I call on all of you to help thank the administrator of nairaland-Seun for the honor done to us. Imagine getting the messenger out of the way. What then happens to the message? Kudos Seun. You are OUR STAR

Before I sign off, let me quickly inform you that there are some job opportunities for medical laboratory scientists at Family Health International.
You can find details at http://medicalandlaboratoryjobsng..com

Cheers
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by anonimi: 8:27am On May 13, 2009
benard08:

Here is the Federal Government salary range for MLS in Nigeria

Intern MLS is the least-About N70,000 monthly

Director Salary is around N350,000 monthly

Labor unions are currently vigorously agitating for significant increase in emolument.

cheers

tidy amounts up there.
are they paid regularly or they are also owed many months in arrears! hence have to do PP by the side to make ends meet.
how about states salary scales and private establishments?
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by dayleke: 5:55am On May 14, 2009
hi to everybody in the house.
i'm very glad this forum was introduced and as time goes on,we should be able to get to know ourselves better.
kudos to the OP.

1 Like

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by benard08(m): 4:51pm On May 14, 2009
Hi anonimi,

The states pay about 30-40% less. However, payments by the Federal Government and most states are very regular. Payment in private establishments vary. Some pay less while NGO's pay more.

Cheers

1 Like

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by benard08(m): 4:52pm On May 14, 2009
dayleke,
I wish to personally welcome you to the forum. Hope you'll have the best of time.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by chynenye(f): 7:17pm On May 14, 2009
Well, it actually depends on d state. Some states pay higher than that. Enugu State is an example.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by oge4real(f): 7:39pm On May 14, 2009
oh my, today is my best day on Nairaland. I finally have people of like minds to interact with. Ride on the ORACLES OF MEDICINE, ACCURACY AND PRECISION IS OUR WATCHWORD. cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (51) (Reply)

Nigerian Prospective Medical Interns 2017 / Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) / Human Resource Professionals:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.