Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:05 AM

Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum - Career (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum (265057 Views)

Job opportunities 4 Medical Laboratory Scientists in nigeria / Medical Laboratory Scientists(internship) / Where Do Science Laboratory Technology Graduates Work? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (51) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by dominique(f): 12:26pm On Nov 19, 2009
@Dr Kathy
what gave you that impression. if you're re refering to one of my earlier posts on this thread, then i'm afriad you misunderstood my point.
all i was trying to say that medical lab scientists are most under-appreciated out of all the medical professionals.
i have nothing but respect for medical professionals especially the doctors and surgeons but other fields also deserve theif fair share of kudos.
cheers smiley
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by kathyekiti: 2:42am On Nov 22, 2009
@dominique
Any physician or patient who doesn't appreciate members of your field is ignorant of the mechanizations and steps involved in patient diagnosis.smiley
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by nice2: 11:46am On Nov 24, 2009
gudmrn. pls i need an information on the requirements needed for me to practise medical microbiology (own a laboratory)in nigeria. i heard one has to do a professional exam or masters in med. micro. before you can own a lab. Anyone with the right info or the website to visit shld pls reply me. 10x.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by dominique(f): 9:44pm On Nov 25, 2009
thanks Dr Kathy, thats really comforting smiley

pls i need ideas guys, i was called for an aptitude test in Lagos state college of Medicine for the post of a lab technologist this Saturday. pls does anyone have an idea on how the test format will be. pls i only have a few days to figure what to do. time is of the essence. thanks
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by chynenye(f): 4:45pm On Nov 29, 2009
@ dominique, I'm really sorry its late but i believe it went well. The questions are usually what you are expected to know as a med lab sct and some current affairs. Most times the problem is not passing the test but "who do you know".Well, i strongly believe that you will be successful with God on your side.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by chynenye(f): 5:02pm On Nov 29, 2009
@ nice, similar questions have been treated on this forum. Its no longer possible for anyone to do a professional course as a pre-requisite for registration with the Medical Laboratory Science Council of Nigeria. Neither is an M.Sc accepted. The only solution is through a direct entry into a second yr class or through JAMB.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by nice2: 2:33pm On Nov 30, 2009
10x chi. do appreci8te ur response.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by pretts(f): 2:17pm On Dec 02, 2009
Lab/ward coats available for sale.

Pls call 07025985824 or send an e-mail to prettads.bux@gmail.com for more information.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by benard08(m): 12:33pm On Jan 05, 2010
Hi Friend,
I write to wish you compliments of the season and a happy new year.
I also want to thank you for being part of my life. You are simply wonderful.
As you already know, the year is already counting by the day. It is your responsibility to make this year your best year ever.
Here is a simple blueprint that can empower you to get the best this year:
1. Seek The Lord

2. Set The Limits

3. Strengthen Yourself

4. Study and Learn

5. Stretch The Limits

6. Shun Laziness

7. Shin As Light.

Seek first the kingdom of God and its righteousness because you cannot have true success without Him.
Set goals for the new year. Time is life. It is not to be wasted on frivolities.
Surround yourself with people who agree with your dream and vision.
Find time to read good books to develop yourself.  Take bold steps to go the extra mile in whatever you lay your hands on. Always give the best.
Say an emphatic No to laziness and your productivity will improve. Let your light shine and stay away from evil deeds. Whatever you want men to do to you, do to them likewise. That is the golden rule for successful living.
I look forward to finding laughter in your mouth by the time we'll breast the tape for the end of this year.

Shalom.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Dipole: 9:05pm On Jan 06, 2010
Thanks bernard08 for your multivational word, God bless you.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by adajud: 4:18pm On Jan 22, 2010
Hi colleagues, am so glad that a forum such as this do exist, as in, pertaining this noble profession.

How i wish the body, i mean the council and national association, have access to what is bn discussed here.

There are so many issues and topics yet untapped. starting from the highest body, i.e, the council to the year one student in the university studing this course and other health-related issues.

As for people like us, we've bn made to lose hope in the profession.
wishing u guys great success in your desire and goals in taking this profession to greater heights.

God bless! bernard, dominique, chinenye and others WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by benard08(m): 3:15pm On Feb 27, 2010
@ada_jud,
don't mind my late reply to your post. I welcome you to this forum. Please keep visiting so that the flag could be kept flying.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by benard08(m): 3:17pm On Feb 27, 2010
The month of February is coasting to a graceful end. Please let's renew our practicing license. This is the only way we can commit ourselves more to the profession and prove that we are real professionals.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by benard08(m): 3:21pm On Feb 27, 2010
On monday 22nd february 2010, the Nigerian tribune reported that the Senate of the University of Ilorin has approved the commencement of the degree programme in Medical laboratory science starting from the 2011/2012 session.
This piece of glad tidings will interest all medical laboratory scientists in Nigeria and abroad. Certainly, more opportunities that will last long will be opened for more Nigerians at home and abroad seeking opportunities in Medical Laboratory Science. It is sure that our colleagues with post-graduate degrees will be employed to lecture when the programme kick off.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by agbonma: 6:21pm On Feb 27, 2010
Scientist in the house, I want to know if there is any way one can test for the deficient vitamins or nutrient in his system.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by benefe: 9:11pm On Mar 07, 2010
helo,am new to the house,this thread is really good,kudos to benard,i will like to find out what masters can one do after obtaining bachelors of medical.lab science.
expecting ur replies.
one love.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by ObamaUS: 9:06pm On Mar 12, 2010
hhaa
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Dipole: 2:41pm On Mar 15, 2010
Did anyone know when this year boimedical day will take place and venue.?
Also, has council flag off their website now cos I learnt that they will host it early this year. if yes, kindly post it here.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by benard08(m): 4:12pm On Mar 16, 2010
@benefe
Welcome to the forum. As for your querry, there are several M.Sc. degree options for you depending on your specialization. Most universities in Nigeria offer post-graduate degrees in Medical microbiology, chemical pathology, haematology and more recently histopathology.
Check out for adverts in Nigerian newspapers. University of Ilorin, Calabar, Benin, Ambross Ali, University of Nigeria Nsuka lead the pack in this direction.
Cheers
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by benard08(m): 4:21pm On Mar 16, 2010
@Dipole
I am not sure of the date for the biomedical day celebration yet but be sure it will hold at the Nigerian Institute of Medical Research, Yaba, Lagos.
The website of the council has not been launched. You can confirm through google search.
Cheers.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by ogechike(f): 6:48pm On Mar 27, 2010
i was so happy when i came across this site.i'm a fresh graduate waiting for internship, any suggestions pls!
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by nnewa: 1:47am On Mar 29, 2010
Helo t all landers.cant hide my xctmnt since i wz intd by a sct t dis forum.d opp it offers is far reachn.must apprct Ben's ingenuity & d efforts of d contributos. Permit me t comment & ask.d internship stuf.heard fmc abakaliki, ibadan hosp hv just tkn.try out sokoto teach hosp & orth enugu. Next it bodas me if dre wz a regulatn on d sitin & qlty of bore hole H2O.since itz d main supply t many hmes both in d urban & rural areas. Bles ya
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by benard08(m): 4:13pm On Mar 29, 2010
@Ogechike and Nnewa,
I wish to personally welcome you to the forum. I'm glad that young medical laboratory scientists are finding it as a great resource centre on issues concerning medical laboratory science. Please feel free to participate and contribute your own quota to the development of the forum. Pass the word round to others yet to know of its existence.
Now to your question. Look around for internship placement in any of the teaching hospitals closest to you or federal medical centre. I wish you best of luck.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by ogechike(f): 2:49pm On Apr 09, 2010
@Nnewa and Bernad, thanx
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Bobbyaf(m): 9:24pm On Apr 10, 2010
So what is the difference between you professionals and those who are Medical laboratory Technologists? How different are the job descriptions?
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by benard08(m): 1:32pm On May 04, 2010
@Bobybaff,
Welcome to this forum.
The profession of medical laboratory science had a very humble beginning in Nigeria. It was birthed by the military government through decree 56 of 1968. Then, it was a middle level manpower and the professionals called medical laboratory technologists in line with the British model.
Over the years, the profession had witnessed significant change in scope of training and practice to comform with modern changes in laboratory diagnoses.
Government in appreciation of the evolution and radical changes in the profession changed the name of the professionals to medical laboratory scientists through decree 59 of 1999. Prior to this time, training of medical laboratory scientists had shifted to the universities in most part of Nigeria except the South-West.
A bold step was further taken by government in 2003 by the signing into law of the Medical Laboratory Science Council Of Nigeria Act 11 of 2003 to fully transform the profession into a chartered status which effectively moved the professionals from middle level manpower to high level manpower.
With this, training of medical laboratory scientists become exclusive to the university.
Graduates train for 5years after which they undergo a mandatory intership program prior to NYSC.
As a result, professionals can now reach the peak of their career which is now wide open.
The scope of work is well documented in the scheme of service for each cadre of medical laboratory scientist from Medical Laboratory Scientist 1 to Director of Medical Laboratory Services.
cheers
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by wwwmom2010: 11:30am On May 05, 2010
Hi medical scientists,
the services of a well qualified lab scientist with at least 5 yrs working experience is needed in a hospital in the Amuwo-Odofin area of Lagos. must be between ages 28-35 and must live within the amuwo-odofin environs. pls send ur CVs to bethesdahospitalng@yahoo.com or onyinx@yahoo.com. looking forward to ur submissions. between now and the end of May 2010.
Thanks
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by wwwmom2010: 11:52am On May 05, 2010
pls include how much you are paid now and how much you expect to be paid. please be realistic and honest.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by jayx: 7:15pm On May 05, 2010
Hola, smileywaited 4so long, neva knew id find me brothers on line.Im proud 2b a Medical Laboratory Scientist, realy dont care what the "6 billion" say about it.Im a scientist practicing in Benin,and im happy u guys are around the country, 'makin the difference' and standin out,we as proffesionals have a long way 2go, we've done a lot too, and covering new grounds faster than we thot, like one of me lecturers once said,:patience, persistence and determination will take us 2d promised land, we have 2keep improving ourselves in every way possible, thats what scientists do; WE CAN ONLY GET BETTER cheesy.In UBTH where i practice, it isnt easy, we got professional enemies wantin 2sniff d life out of us, and rubbish our work, bt dy keep meetin brick walls, why wd a professional in sm other field think God has given him the right 2b my boss, angry(Nigerian mentality, a man wanting 2enslave his own brother for personal gain), God help them, we have all it takes, we should'nt be deterred by any ones gimmicks, time annd knowledge is our currency, so lets utilize it well, more time comrades, send a msg if u can to:afroscientist@gmail.com
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by benard08(m): 1:27pm On May 14, 2010
@jayx,
I wish to formerly welcome you to the forum. Thanks for your contributions. We'll love to have you always in the house to make the forum more useful to members.
cheers.
Re: Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum by Guddy(m): 7:16am On May 15, 2010
Greetings 2 all d med lab scientist in d house. I'm a young scientist who just graduated 4rm Ambrose Alli University. I'm yet 2 start my internship. I'll like 2 giv kudos 2 u bernard08. What is ur AOS in med lab and where do u work? Concerning internship, has d federal govt implemented d new salary increment? Thanx 2 u all

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (51) (Reply)

Nigerian Prospective Medical Interns 2017 / Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) / Human Resource Professionals:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.