Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:49 AM

List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy (57408 Views)

History Of Nigerian Naira, Symbol, Sign And Worth. / Ghana’s Economy Will Top Africa In 2018 – World Bank / Why Nigerians Haven’t Felt Impact Of Exit From Recession – NBS Boss (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by naijacommando: 8:47pm On Sep 21, 2015
AzontoGhost:

typical Suffering and smiling tongue grin

Charlie, it's miles better to suffer and smile as a Nigerian than to live in affluence knowing that I'm Ghanaian. Do you know why?.....

By virtue of my being Nigerian alone, i am eternally destined to be super

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by naijacommando: 8:51pm On Sep 21, 2015
AzontoGhost:

typical Suffering and smiling tongue grin

Charlie, it's miles better to suffer and smile as a Nigerian than to live in affluence knowing that I'm Ghanaian. Do you know why?.....

By virtue of my being Nigerian alone, i am eternally destined to be superior over the average Ghanaian, lol.

Truth hurts tho! grin

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by Rotimi47: 8:53pm On Sep 21, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
These are businessmen not traders.when we tell them there's difference between this and owning 2x2 shops,they say we're jealous cheesy cheesy cheesy
Bad guy grin
Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by manchy7531: 8:54pm On Sep 21, 2015
Ilekeh:

We see the value of your entrepreneurial superiority in Asian countries. Just because Yorubas aren't great at noisemaking does not mean they do not surpass you in that arena.

You guys are great noisemakers, I'll give you that.

Ewu where are yorubaboons

Africa's Most Entrepreneurial Ethnic Groups

By AskAfricans

In the age of the globalization, the most entrepreneurial communities win. It’s not just a matter of individual success but some communities that possess certain skills will emerge to dominate significant sections of the economy. This can be seen in India’s Parsi and Marwari, and Punjabi communities, the Punjabi of Pakistan, the Chinese in South East Asia, the Lebanese in West Africa, the Indians in East Africa or the Jews in the United States. But what about Africans? The domination of African economies particularly by Indian and Lebanese communities might lead one to deduce that there is a virtual dearth of entrepreneurial talent amongst sub Saharan Africa’s 1 billion people. However there are certain communities in Africa that have distinguished themselves through great trading skills which have seen them amass significant wealth. In the age of globalization where entrepreneurship and a sense of adventure in business determines who wins and who loses, they will be perfectly placed to reap from the global markets.

Igbo of Nigeria
The Igbos of Nigeria are Africa’s most energetic and most entrepreneurial people. They are not ancient traders but emerged much more recently with the onset of the British colonialism. Through sheer grit, hard work and a talent for spotting new opportunities, they emerged as the dominant traders and business leaders as Nigeria raced towards independence in the mid 50s. The Igbo dominance of Nigeria’s commerce and industry was one of the reasons that led to the Biafran war. Today you can find Igbo traders all over the world from South Africa, Kenya, Ivory Coast, China, Japan, the United States, Hong Kong, Thailand, Indonesia, Malaysia, Ireland, Vietnam, India amongst others. They are mostly merchants although a significant number have diversified into industry, banking, and transportation and service businesses. Researchers have identified the Igbos along with the Ashkenazi Jews and the Swiss Protestants as the people with the greatest achievement motivation in the world.

Kikuyu of Kenya
Like Nigeria’s Igbos, Kenya’s Kikuyu established businesses with the onset of colonialism. Since Kenya’s pre-colonial economy was entirely in the hand of white settlers, many Kikuyu businesses emerged following Kenya’s independence in 1963. Today, the Kikuyu run businesses straddling virtually all sectors of the Kenyan economy ranging from transportation, retail trade, tourism and hospitality, manufacturing, and much more. Kikuyu business communities can be found in virtually all East African cities such as Kampala, Kigali, Juba, Kinshasa, Bujumbura, Dar es Salaam and in countries such as the United States, Britain and China.

The Somali
With their country in shambles for over two decades, one can easily assume that the Somali must be the most impractical people with the worst management skills. But if their success in business is put into consideration, nothing could be further from the truth. The Somalis rank amongst some of Africa’s most entrepreneurial communities. They mainly operate as merchants owning several stalls and are dominant in import-export trade due to their networks in Dubai and Guangzhou. You will find Somalis in businesses such as imports of clothes, shoes, watches, laptops and other manufactured goods mainly from Asia. Export trader mainly involves miraa or khat to Somalia, Djibouti, Eritrea and the Arabian Peninsula. In recent years, many Somalis have diversified into transportation, hospitality and banking.

The Chagga of Tanzania
Numbering just 2 million people, Tanzania’s Chagga are known for their great entrepreneurial skills and are the wealthiest ethnic community in Tanzania. They are also one of the most educated people in Tanzania. Together with their prowess in harnessing agriculture, the Chagga are great merchants and are present in almost every corner of the country. They have massive financial power in Tanzania and own businesses ranging from banks, insurance companies, tourist resorts, airlines (Precision Air) and are players in many other sectors of the economy.

Akan people of Ghana and Ivory Coast

From the 15th century to the 19th century the Akan people dominated gold mining and trading in the region and, from the 17th century on, they were among the most powerful groups in west Africa.

Akan Jungle Warfare,
The Third Anglo-Empire of Ashanti War.
The Graphic 1874

This wealth in gold attracted European traders.Initially the Europeans were Portuguese but, eventually the Dutch and British joined in the quest for Akan gold. Groups such as the Benin Empire in modern day Nigeria and states in Central Africa would serve as intermediaries who waged wars on neighboring states in their geographic area to capture people and sell them as slaves to Europeans(Portuguese) who subsequently sold the enslaved people along with guns to Akans states in exchange for Akan gold.[15] Akan gold was also used to purchase slaves from further up north via the Trans-Saharan route. The Akan purchased slaves in order to help clear the dense forests within Akanland.[15] About a third of the population of many Akan states were enslaved people. The Akans went from buyers of slaves to selling slaves as the dynamics in Akanland and the New World changed. Thus, the Akan people played a considerable role in supplying Europeans with slaves for the trans-Atlantic slave trade.[16] Ghana later apologized to the descendents of slaves for the role some of its people may have played in the slave trade.

Akan people, especially the Ashanti, fought against European colonists to maintain autonomy including many Anglo-Ashanti wars. the war of the Golden Stool, and other similar battles.

By the early 1900s all of Akanland in Ghana was a colony or protectorate of the British while the lands in the Ivory Coast was under the French. On 6 March 1957, following the decolonization from the British under the leadership of Kwame Nkrumah, the Gold Coasts Akanland was joined to British Togoland, and the Nothern region, Upper East region and Upper West region of the Gold Coast to form Ghana.[19] Ivory Coast gained independence on 7 August 1960.

http://m.modernghana.com/news/455846/1/africas-most-entrepreneurial-ethnic-groups.html

2 Likes

Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by obstead200(m): 8:55pm On Sep 21, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

That's the point,trading is a no brainer anyone can do it.Its not the most noble of jobs. its meant to be a starting point not a full time occupation.In developed societies,traders are at the bottom of the strata.That's why i liken the red mud people to pakistanis not the people they want to be likened to because they share a lot in common with pakistanis .
u shud give credit for d fact that even Though most igbo are mere traders, at least they own and run their own businesses, built from the scratch with nothing, and sustained against all odds. Most of this big Yoruba names we read here (and the igbo names too) run public companies owned by many pple and limited by shares. Basically, they are just employees.
What an igbo man can achieve from trading, if a Hausa man or a Yoruba man is given double the capital used and even better operating environment, they can barely achieve half of what the igbo man can achieve. Such is d resilience of the igbo. A race that started from the scratch with nothing after the civil war, and yet today they are really thriving every man on his own, deserves the respect of the entire world.

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by Rotimi47: 8:57pm On Sep 21, 2015
Ilekeh:

Lmfao pele. My condolence. grin

I talk am, Igbos won't like this thread. If na Igbos full the list, we for Don hear am with the chest beating.
You can say that again grin
Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by lezz(m): 9:04pm On Sep 21, 2015
all4naija:
Okay! What's the mouth-watching part for? Jeez! You need to muscle your people because they are usually out of control. The South African blacks are the most embarrassing people I have ever seen. When you expect them to be civil for coming from a more advanced society the opposite is often the case. That is one of the reasons I am always hard on them.

However, I don't think all Ghanaians are bad but there are more silly ones than the intelligent ones. At least, this forum is a testament to that. Their views are usually myopic and quickly stepping to the opportunity to defend South Africa against Nigeria- when SA is not their country. That is preposterous to say the least. If there are any nations that are so close in West Africa they are Nigeria and Ghana but your people tend to support others against us, doing that to gain Zulus favor. Possibly prevent Zulus from attacking them during the xenophobic activities in that country. Most Ghanaians are cowards!

That last line of your post is funny. Jiggaman is one of the most ludicrous Ghanaians I have ever come across in this forum. He is a perv and blatantly annoying.

@ bolded. Bro dat one na gist. Comot where then oyibo dey for southie, d rest na kpako.

2 Likes

Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by 14(m): 9:05pm On Sep 21, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:
We own 95% of the businesses in Ghana cheesy, 92% in south africa and 80% in China.Chukuabiama bless us because we're industrious cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin

If you said 92% of South Africa's drug supply, i would agree with you on that, but economy in general, there is no nigerian company in SA. Yes, nigerians do hair dressing and shoe repairing.

5 Likes

Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by SambisaaForest: 9:14pm On Sep 21, 2015
hallucinatory aria cool

ugly pig! Is it my fault your country is so phucked? You better find something to do with your miserable life, maggot! You can join the kidnappers association and do what millions of your demonic countrymen are doing,huh?

over 100,000 shitnigerian pr0stitutes in Milan alone grin SMH embarassed

[s]
lezz:
So well-worn. How many times will you use that dry line? You desperately need new materials grin grin grin grin
[/s]
Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by SambisaaForest: 9:17pm On Sep 21, 2015
14:

If you said 92% of South Africa's drug supply, i would agree with you on that, but economy in general, there is no nigerian company in SA. Yes, nigerians do hair dressing and shoe repairing.
Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by naijacommando: 9:19pm On Sep 21, 2015
Any idiot who tribalizes this thread along the lines of igbo versus yoruba again is not only stupid, but also dumb, unreasonable, and pathetic.

This thread is meant to re-affirm our superiority over these kenkey-eating Ghanaian brothers.

Therefore anybody who tries to tribalize this along ibo-yoruba lines is a big fool!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by ghananotnaija(m): 9:30pm On Sep 21, 2015
Ilekeh:

Wrong thread papi. If you're looking for a thread to fight, find ones with Igbo chest beaters grin Na dem go call Ghana no man's land. This thread would have been 50 pages of "Ghana black like charcoal" by now from light-skin bleaching-creme recessive Igbo genes.
Abokee, Heebo, or Yellowbar: you Nigerians are all the same to me.

2 Likes

Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by Cashio(m): 9:32pm On Sep 21, 2015
Ilekeh:

Na Biafra own economy high like the rising grass na.

Better get out of your village and visit Ghana. Naija economy is high, that's why your kinds hawk agege bread in osogbo
all you guys hating on one another cos of tribe makes no sense. Make ur own money and it doesnt matter where u came from. Ur survival might come from an igbo man tomorrow and vice versa
Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by lezz(m): 9:32pm On Sep 21, 2015
SambisaaForest:

hallucinatory aria cool

ugly pig! Is it my fault your country is so phucked? You better find something to do with your miserable life, maggot! You can join the kidnappers association and do what millions of your demonic countrymen are doing,huh?

over 100,000 shitnigerian pr0stitutes in Milan alone grin SMH embarassed

[s][/s]
grin grin grin I wasn't expecting you to deal intelligently with the facts on ground that this post presents. ...and all I get is silly, childish rants,nope?

Counter the points raised in the Original post. Spare us your self-loathing and cheap vulgarism. We want you to present FACTS to counter those claims.

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by Ilekeh(f): 9:32pm On Sep 21, 2015
manchy7531:

Ewu where are yorubaboons

Sounds like an Igbos writer. So trading led to the Biafran Nigerian war? Who is Ask Nigerian?

Lol deal with the facts, 2x2 corner shops no be business.
Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by Kennydoc(m): 9:41pm On Sep 21, 2015
I'm a full blooded Igbo guy, but as much as I hate to admit it, Yorubas are leading the rest of Nigerians in real, innovative business enterprises. We're better with open market trading, which is gradually being overtaken by newer innovations in business.

I watched a programme last year where Tony Elumelu Foundation gave award to 100 upcoming businesses in Nigeria. To my utter shock and dismay, over 70% of the businesses were established by young Yoruba guys. Frankly speaking, I was jealous that day.

No matter how we want to look at it, Yorubas are a great people. Their language and culture is very much ahead of those of other regions in Nigeria.

I hate it however when Yorubas bash Igbos here on Nairaland, because no other tribe would have gone through what Igbos went through in Nigeria and still remain strong today. Igbos are strong, intelligent, resourceful, with a very resilient spirit. This is what has been making way for us in Nigeria and all over the world. If there will be a next world, I would rather be Igbo.

After the civil war in 1970,many Igbos who had thriving businesses and industries, investments in real estate etc in Lagos lost them to their Yoruba partners. These guys had to start building again from the scratch, and that's why most indigenous industries in Lagos today are owned by Yorubas. Prior to the civil war, Igbos had a clear advantage in business ownership in Lagos.

As for Ghanaians, I feel their pain. It's the same way I feel sad about Indians and Chinese running successful businesses in Nigeria, and even exploiting Nigerians alongside yet our government can't defend us. I hope their government will find a diplomatic way of handling the issue, so that the wealth of Ghana will also circulate in the hands of citizens, not just foreigners.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by LeSudAfricaine: 9:42pm On Sep 21, 2015
V0lv0:

I have been suspecting you for a while now. Especially all the stuff you say about SA and umqombothi and just too much stuff that someone who has never ever stepped foot in Sa would not really know about. So it's cool. I can keep a secret wink
Bingo!
Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by LeSudAfricaine: 9:46pm On Sep 21, 2015
V0lv0:

Lol well you seem to obsess so much about SA I won't be surprised if you take it to your dreams grin
Been saying the same thing this guy has some mental problem

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by LeSudAfricaine: 9:48pm On Sep 21, 2015
PunkyVeer:

LeSudAfricaine, MduZa, RudzSa, VandalZa...come help this guy, he's sleep typing grin
its the typical empty chestbeating Punky, we know this song grin
Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by LeSudAfricaine: 9:56pm On Sep 21, 2015
all4naija:
For the reason you said you are Ghanaian South African. I like your nature. I don't think I have had any beef with you yet. Is that correct?

You are so much different from those Ghanaians living in Ghana. They are filthy and envious people. I don't find them interesting in this forum. I'll have your back anytime here. Is that okay?
Oh the contradictions grin Firstly your envy is Legendary yet you call Ghanains envious, secondly you directly insult Volvo's countrymen and yet you have her back, talk about being dumb grin

Volvo do the right thing grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by Nobody: 10:01pm On Sep 21, 2015
14:

cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin. I was just being sarcastic jor. there's a Nigerian tribe known for saying things like that
Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by Nobody: 10:03pm On Sep 21, 2015
PunkyVeer:

LeSudAfricaine, MduZa, RudzSa, VandalZa...come help this guy, he's sleep typing grin

Calm your tities swiree I was just being sarcastic. there's a Nigerian tribe known for saying things like that
Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by Queenybliss(f): 10:26pm On Sep 21, 2015
hmmmmm I am so hungry right now ..I will comment lera #runs out of thread#
Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by fejikudz(m): 10:48pm On Sep 21, 2015
Ilekeh:
Interesting. It pays to not make noise and to respect one's host.

Yorubas have been in Ghana for decades if not centuries, we don't hear about bad blood.

The apku consumers have been in SA for a decade, they initiated a xenophobic attack with their useless pride and ever running tap water mouth.

God bless Ghana for allowing a climate where foreigners can succeed and thrive.
Lol @ akpu consumers.. cheesy cheesy
Tribalism go do una strong thing oo cheesy cheesy
Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by KINGOFJAPAN: 11:05pm On Sep 21, 2015
14:

y'all quick to call Nigerians drug dealers whereas it's you southies that buy and use the drugs.. I rather be a drug supplier than a junkie... I make my dough u destroy ur life

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by iamord(m): 11:09pm On Sep 21, 2015
undecided sigh! Here we go again!!
Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by Nobody: 11:44pm On Sep 21, 2015
LeSudAfricaine:
Oh the contradictions grin Firstly your envy is Legendary yet you call Ghanains envious, secondly you directly insult Volvo's countrymen and yet you have her back, talk about being dumb grin

Volvo do the right thing grin
Don't you worry about that. She already knows what to do. I treat ladies right unlike you a thug.

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by Nobody: 11:49pm On Sep 21, 2015
14:

This big-headed Zulu called 14 doesn't know that Dangote has one of the largest cement factories in SA. Please, get out of here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by LeSudAfricaine: 12:10am On Sep 22, 2015
all4naija:

Don't you worry about that. She already knows what to do. I treat ladies right unlike you a thug.
A thug is that thing between your legs decorating the groin since it's idle grin

1 Like

Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by popizaino(m): 12:13am On Sep 22, 2015
[quote author=ceecee0703 post=38239435]

No wonder Ghana is still backward..... go and check ur records well and see the movers and shakers of countries. meanwhile easterners dont go where change can be picked.....we build develop and carry money from countries and continents. we deal with "ego mbute"[/quote if ur biafra up had existed what makes u think it would av been better than Ghana?
Re: List Of Nigerian Tycoons That Impact Ghana's Economy by Nobody: 2:30am On Sep 22, 2015
Thank you so much for the history lesson on that thread. My mouth was left ajar in amazement, as I was reading the write up. Every Igbo person needs to learn about that part of our history. Damn!

pazienza:
https://www.nairaland.com/2516282/before-forget

The above will put things in more perspective. The era of Yoruba propaganda is gone.

The Yorubas hijacked Nigeria's public corporations, stole them to stone age and used the remainder of their loot to establish private companies.

And the few of those companies that survived came under full control of Yorubas.

Just giving a historical perspective to the argument going on here.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Meet The Only 10 Black Billionaires In The World / Apprentice Wins N16m Sports Bet In Alaba Market, His Boss Orders / Meet Wives Of Top Nigerian Billionaires (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.