Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,104 members, 7,807,323 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:17 PM

Adult Permanent Teeth Coming In Behind Baby Teeth: Shark Teeth - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Adult Permanent Teeth Coming In Behind Baby Teeth: Shark Teeth (1627 Views)

5 Ways Of Taking Care Of Your Baby’s Teeth / See How To Whiten Your Teeth Within 2 Minutes Of Using This Home Remedy / The World's Deadliest Animal Isn't A Shark Or Even A Human (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Adult Permanent Teeth Coming In Behind Baby Teeth: Shark Teeth by dosht(f): 1:54pm On Sep 21, 2015
Many parents become alarmed when they look in their child’s mouth and see the permanent teeth growing behind the baby teeth. What went wrong? Aren’t the permanent teeth supposed to grow under the baby teeth and push them out?

Rest assured, permanent teeth coming in behind baby teeth is not an emergency!

Ordinarily, as the permanent teeth push up, the roots of the baby teeth dissolve and the baby tooth eventually falls out, allowing the permanent teeth to come in. Sometimes, the baby teeth don’t want to leave the mouth, and the permanent teeth come in right behind them. This condition is technically known as lingually erupting mandibular incisors and more commonly known as shark teeth or simply permanent teeth coming in behind baby teeth.

In this article, I’ll talk about why shark teeth happen, how common shark teeth are, whether or not they’re serious, and what your dentist or pediatric dentist can do to treat shark teeth. I’ll even sprinkle in a couple of pictures so you can check to see if this is what is happening with your child.

Here’s a close-view of the lower jaw of a child with his permanent lower incisors coming in behind his baby incisors. The child’s parent commented that hours after this picture was taken, one of the baby teeth fell out. So sometimes the body can even correct the problem on its own!

Why Permanent Teeth Grow In Behind The Baby Teeth

The book Pediatric Dentistry by Jimmy Pinkham states that “the cause of ectopic and lingually erupting incisors is not well established.”

There are a few guesses as to why shark teeth occur. Some dentists believe that this occurs because the roots of the baby teeth don’t get dissolved like they normally should and the permanent teeth have nowhere else to go, so they just come into the mouth where there is the least amount of resistance.

Other dentists say that the permanent teeth start growing in behind the baby teeth because there is too much crowding in the lower jaw.

Another theory says that because the permanent teeth develop behind the baby teeth, this is simply a slight deviation from normal and they just didn’t make it as far forward as they should have.

I think that all of these are good explanations as to why this phenomenon occurs. I personally think that all three are possible explanations and any of them might be true for a specific individual.

How Common/Serious Is It to Have Permanent Teeth Grow In Behind The Baby Teeth?

This study by Gellin states that permanent teeth growing in behind baby teeth is a fairly common condition, occurring in about 10% of all children.

Luckily, many times shark teeth will resolve on their own with the baby teeth eventually falling out. Sometimes, they don’t resolve on their own. So far, in less than a year of actually working in the clinics at dental school , I’ve seen two patients who are close to 20 years old that still had baby teeth in front of some of their permanent teeth.

One young woman has decided she will probably get braces because the baby tooth that hung around in her mouth caused a bit of crowding and now her teeth aren’t aligned very well. Sadly, she never had this corrected when her permanent tooth first came in. Most of the time, your dentist will be able to correct shark teeth before it becomes a problem.

Here’s a picture of a little boy named Evan. If you look closely, you’ll see that he has two permanent teeth coming in on the bottom with two baby teeth still hanging around. His mom stated that the day after this picture was taken, Evan lost one of the teeth.

The two photos in this article show that many times, shark teeth can resolve on their own. However, if they don’t, there are certain things a dentist can do to resolve the problem.

How a Dentist Can Help Manage Permanent Teeth Coming In Behind Baby Teeth

If your child’s shark teeth don’t resolve on their own within a couple of weeks, it would be a good idea to have your dentist take a look at what’s going on.
Source: http://www.oralanswers.com/adult-permanent-teeth-coming-in-behind-baby-teeth-shark-teeth/

Cc Dominique lalasticlala

Re: Adult Permanent Teeth Coming In Behind Baby Teeth: Shark Teeth by idrisalomagold(m): 2:47pm On Sep 21, 2015
I have see this kind of teeth before. Could it be that this actually is the cause? I just pity those concerned.
Re: Adult Permanent Teeth Coming In Behind Baby Teeth: Shark Teeth by dosht(f): 7:08pm On Sep 21, 2015
idrisalomagold:
I have see this kind of teeth before. Could it be that this actually is the cause? I just pity those concerned.
That's the reason why it's good to visit a dentist at least twice in a year

(1) (Reply)

Neolife's Neolifeshake Drink For Weight Loss In 792g / Nigeria: Minister Directs Hospitals To Replace Striking Doctors / Scanty Period

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.