Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,582 members, 7,809,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:33 PM

Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists (28596 Views)

PHOTOS: Lagosians Drink Beer In Flood / Herdsmen Attack: South-west Farmers May Resort To Self-defence - Afenifere / Herdsmen Attack: We May Resort To Self Defence, Town Unions, Abia.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by naptu2: 8:34am On Sep 23, 2015
naptu2:
[size=14pt]Solutions to the Apapa/Surulere traffic jam[/size].

People keep trying to treat the symptoms without addressing the root cause of the problem. In 2008 I spent 3 hours on one spot on Park Lane, Apapa. The driver even suggested that I should take a motorcycle back to the island, but I refused because I wanted to study the situation. Many measures have been taken since then (deployment of naval personnel, banning of tankers, construction of more tanker parks, etc) but none of them have solved the problem.

Things weren't always this way. So what has changed and what is the solution?

1) Tankers: - Previously petroleum products came into the country through the Atlas Cove Jetty and were piped to depots at Ejigbo (Lagos), Mosimi (Ogun), Ibadan (Oyo), Ore (Ondo) and Ilorin (Kwara). This was the busiest pipeline network in the country and Atlas Cove is the biggest jetty for the reception of imported petroleum products in the country. There are other pipeline networks like the Kaduna, Minna, Suleja, Kano and Gusau network.

Tanker trucks in Ogun State went to the Mosimi Depot to load petroleum products, tankers in Oyo State went to Ibadan, tankers in Ondo went to Ore, tankers in Kwara went to Ilorin, tankers in Lagos went to Apapa and Ejigbo, etc. There were also a few private depots (especially in Lagos) that stored petroleum products on behalf of the NNPC.

The problem is that the NNPC does not trust the pipelines due to frequent incidents of pipeline vandalisation. They don't want to lose any more product/money, so they stopped piping petroleum products to the depots. Instead of piping petroleum products to the depots, tanker trucks come from as far away as Ilorin to load petroleum products in Apapa. The fact that the Kaduna Refinery has also not been functioning has meant that trucks also come from Kaduna, Kano and other places in the north to load petroleum products in Apapa. These tankers, unlike Lagos based tankers, cannot return to their base to wait for their turn to load, so they park on the streets. There was a time earlier this year when there were 6,000 out of state tankers in Lagos at the same time!

The solution is to first secure the pipelines by using technology, such as distributed accoustic sensing (DAS) to detect vandals before they attack the pipelines, using drones and CCTV cameras to identify the vandals and providing vehicles like helicopters and pickup trucks to the security forces so that they can rapidly respond to alerts. All of these should be coordinated by a properly staffed and equipped comand and control centre and the government should ensure that the vandals are prosecuted. The NNPC can then start piping products to depots again. The second necessary measure is to ban out of state trucks from loading petroleum products in Lagos. Doing this will take away half of the cause of the gridlock at Apapa.

2) Freight trucks: - Nigerians seem to be so fascinated by high speed passenger trains (MagLev lines and electric locomotives), that they've forgotten how important freight trains are. A good chunk of the traffic jams we experience can be eliminated if goods are moved by rail rather than by articulated trucks. The wear and tear that the road suffers would be minimised and the number of accidents caused by these trucks would be reduced. Businesses would also benefit from this as they would not have to pay illegal taxes and bribes that are demanded by policemen and area boys on the road. There would also be better security which would greatly minimise the problem of armed robbery on our highways.

The colonialists recognised the importance of freight trains, so they created an arm of the Lagos-Kano line that runs from the Ebute Metta junction on to the platform at the Apapa Port. Thus goods (like Dantata's groundnuts) could be moved directly from Kano to the port for export. This arm of the railway line had many sidings to industrial concerns in the Ijora and Apapa area. For example, there was a siding that ran to the old power station in Ijora (with the twin smoke stacks) so that coal could be moved by freight train from Enugu to the power station. Unfortunately some people have built over the railway line to the power station (and over some of the other lines in the area) but there are still sidings that go to Nigerian Flour Mills, Mobil, Oando, Total, etc.

The railways can also help to solve the problem of distribution of petroleum products. Petroleum products can be moved from state to state by rail tankers, rather than by tanker trucks.

I believe that one of the ways to solve the problem of the gridlock in Apapa and the degradation of the Apapa-Oworonshoki Expressway is for goods to be moved from the port primarily by trains and for trailer trucks to be banned from plying the roads between 6am-9pm.

The rail lines in the Apapa Port complex and the rail line from the Ebute Metta Junction to Apapa were rehabilitated by the AP Moeller-Maersk Group (a concessionaire at the Apapa Port) and the previous Federal Government, but users of the port complain that not enough trains have been provided to move goods out of the port. This issue must be addressed.

Indeed I think that the new ports that are being constructed across the country should also be linked by rail. I'm not sure if the blue line that's currently being constructed is dual purpose, but I think it's very important that there's a freight train service in the Ojo-Badagry area to service the new Badagry Port, the Energy City, the Agbara Industrial Estate, the car plant (VON/Stallion Motors), Alaba Markets, the Trade Fair Complex and to move goods coming from Benin Republic (by the way, I went past there last week and I was surprised at the progress that's been made on the Blue Line. The tracks had only been laid from Orile to Mile 2 the previous time I went there and the road expansion works terminated just after the Festac Bridge, but now the tracks have been laid beyond Festac and the expansion works had progressed beyond Amuwo Odofin. The rail bridge on the other side had gone beyond the Ebute Metta Creek, but I really hate what they've done to the creek). It's also important that the new Lekki Port, the Olokola Port and the Ibom Port should be linked to the national rail network.

3) Out of time goods (goods that have stayed longer than 28 days) at the Apapa and Tin Can Island ports should be moved to the Ikorodu Port by barges. This will free up space at those ports and also reduce the number of trucks on our roads. The Ikorodu Port should also be linked to the national rail newtork.

Basically, the solution to the problem is the same as the solution to the general transport problem in Lagos - mutlimodal transport. We can't keep depending on the road (for both passenger and goods transportation, but especially for transporting goods), we need to utilise and expand the rail system, the waterways, the air and even underground.

Photo of port construction in colonial Nigeria (note the railway tracks). Picturee by the Nigerian Ports Authority.

Below - a train carrying containers to Kaduna leaving APM Terminal at the Apapa Port

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by NOBODYY: 8:35am On Sep 23, 2015
Na today? No b today jare

1 Like

Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by anigbajumo(m): 8:40am On Sep 23, 2015
ziky2010:
I think his law on truck movement shld be reversed

Shup up pls!!!

It can never happen.
Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by spinoff: 8:41am On Sep 23, 2015
twoondei:
Lagos is a stressful place to live in.

Just one twitch in someone's head, and your whole day can get completely ruined in traffic.

You spend a lot buying fuel, spend more on accommodation, pay more for everything and still end up in traffic.

If your house isn't close to work, no savings!
Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by horlakunle25(m): 8:42am On Sep 23, 2015
Sijo01:
Trekking is good for the body. They should keep it up. tongue
ahahahahahah!!! Which country dem born?
Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by anigbajumo(m): 8:42am On Sep 23, 2015
john4reala:
my Dad slept in his car yesterday because of Traffic... This Morning at mile2 a trailer broke up in the middle of the road ..takes 1hr to loose just one Tyer

Hahba!

One hour to loose tyre
Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by christinie(f): 8:43am On Sep 23, 2015
Welcome to Thiefinubuu's Changii!
Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by gerarahiamehn(m): 8:50am On Sep 23, 2015
trekking is a good exercise
Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by ephi123(f): 8:52am On Sep 23, 2015
Does Lagos have a governor at all?
Where is Ambode Na wa o. This is real sleeping on duty
Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by Rixy007(m): 8:53am On Sep 23, 2015
Yomieluv:
Didn't go out with car yesterday.

I saw hell,left surulere exactly 4pm,didn't get to agbara till 10:20pm.

I just couldn't walk,and okada were asking for exhorbitant fee.
I can attest to that... You see d hold up at volks jeez that area sha
Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by ddhandsome2955: 8:56am On Sep 23, 2015
OP what do you want us living in other part of the country to do
Suen pls do not front page every poopoo people post here
Then people should post how they Bleep their woman in the night , you accept
Who cares if lagosians are treaking because of trafficking greed lock
Infact that issue is small thing compare to what happening in other parts of Nigeria and Aba in abiaState precisely , all road there is destroyed in the name of road construction. People in Aba even treck more than lagocians
Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by adebasket97: 9:00am On Sep 23, 2015
ddhandsome2955:
Suen pls do front page every poopoo people post here
Infact that issue is small thing compare to what happening in other parts of Nigeria and Abandoned in aboard State precisely , all road there is destroyed in the name of road construction. People in Aba even track more

What is this one saying?

1 Like

Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by Nobody: 9:02am On Sep 23, 2015
I trekked too,from 2nd rainbow to mile 2 before I entered one way bus going to coconut where my office is located.
Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by emmchi(m): 9:08am On Sep 23, 2015
jaegermesiter:
Stop making such statement.....bridges that are meant to sustain heavy weights,did u do anything engineering?? All designs are based on ULS.....ultimate limit state including a factor of safety
Every structure has a weight limit that it could with stand before showing sign of stress.Sure bridges are meant to withstand a lot of stress and strain but with time it will start stressing the bridge.The engineers did not construct it so it can be used as a parking avenue for 1000s of kg trucks to be on it. E.g the bridges around ijora 7up

3 Likes

Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by 400billionman: 9:08am On Sep 23, 2015
twoondei:
Lagos is a stressful place to live in.

Just one twitch in someone's head, and your whole day can get completely ruined in traffic.

You spend a lot buying fuel, spend more on accommodation, pay more for everything and still end up in traffic.

If your house isn't close to work, no savings!

Yet everyone wants to live there.

For people like me, it's either a quiet town or nothin ..
Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by femo86(m): 9:08am On Sep 23, 2015
ddhandsome2955:
Suen pls do front page every poopoo people post here
Infact that issue is small thing compare to what happening in other parts of Nigeria and Abandoned in aboard State precisely , all road there is destroyed in the name of road construction. People in Aba even track more

Bros I hail ooooo You are a murderer
Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by 400billionman: 9:10am On Sep 23, 2015
manchester1:
that is y I need a private jet like ogbeni rauf to move round with ease

And you will be landing and taking off on roof tops?
Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by anonimi: 9:12am On Sep 23, 2015
Shebi we decided to vote the UNSERIOUS Social prefect instead of ready-for-business Jimi Agbaje.
Make we dey endure am dey go. It will soon be 2019 grin

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2108383_ambode_jpegf3d9e2187120804fb9995e3c58753962

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2761086_thief_jpegfa5a8983f640aa30ef083e7a4f98b900

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by lebete3000: 9:14am On Sep 23, 2015
tolexy007:
Omo i almost got stranded at CMS yesterday night, cry cry when bus no quick show..e no funny at all, even the traffic don dey buld up again this morin.. Stress dey Lagos oo, guys no just get choice ni angry

I guess there should be less stressful places in Lagos like Ajah, V.I etc.
Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by Writeditor: 9:15am On Sep 23, 2015
Seun:
I have a three step solution to this traffic problem but I need a research assistant to help me to perfect it and present it the right way.
Our research and writing services might be what you need. Get in touch.
Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by CAPTIVATOR: 9:17am On Sep 23, 2015
Yomieluv:
Didn't go out with car yesterday.

I saw hell,left surulere exactly 4pm,didn't get to agbara till 10:20pm.

I just couldn't walk,and okada were asking for exhorbitant fee.

Okada riders like this kind of situation , they know we have no option unless we want to trek . lol

But trekkin is not always boring provided there are many people treking the same route . Lot of conversations and gist wont let it get boring .
Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by 400billionman: 9:17am On Sep 23, 2015
Seun:
I have a three step solution to this traffic problem but I need a research assistant to help me to perfect it and present it the right way.

Yes o, write a program that will decongest Lagos traffic.
Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by 400billionman: 9:23am On Sep 23, 2015
mikkypel:

Your dad had better begin to put bathing water, toothbrush, towel, toothpaste, stove and foodstuffs in his booth because of next time.. That one might take two days

Nah Pesin papa be that o.
Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by Adesiji77: 9:30am On Sep 23, 2015
On Monday, the traffic jam was a nightmare.

It took me about 3 hours to get to Marina from Ojodu Berger.

I salute Lagos residents! shocked
Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by 400billionman: 9:32am On Sep 23, 2015
Why is it that every business wants to be sited in Lagos?

Why is it that every importer uses Lagos?

Why is it that Federal government does not want to develop deep sea ports in any other part of the country ? Niger delta or South East.

Why do Nigerians keep doing same things and expect different results ?

3 Likes

Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by tete7000(m): 9:34am On Sep 23, 2015
A vote for Ambode, a vote for change. This is Lagos under Ambode, we are reverting back to the pre-fasola era. The lagos you went out and spent hours in hold up.
Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by absoluteSuccess: 9:41am On Sep 23, 2015
ryanfletcher:
it's obvious you are not a lagosian
I am, the hold up tie wrapper yesterday, somebody in the bus I boarded jumped out around race course when he sees that he might miss the ferry at 6.pm. people were just trekking all over the place.
Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by shizzy7(f): 9:58am On Sep 23, 2015
emmchi:
Shocked seeing those trailers queuing on bridges that are not meant to sustain heavy weight.

Use to wake up by 5am so as to beat the traffic. For where,its as if the motorists don't even sleep any more cause as early as 4am there are traffic in major routes.
Am always scared on that Third Mainland Bridge anytime those trucks queue on the bridge....
If that bridge should Collapse,, I will find myself inside a Lagoon,, and its not even possible to swim out of that Lagoon.

1 Like

Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by jaegermesiter: 10:03am On Sep 23, 2015
The ultimate limit state for bridges is for heavy duty trucks to park on d entire span for 24hrs and over 100 yrs,dats d design loading for bridges,and there's wind loading,seismic load also,so bros,dat bridge dey gidi gba
emmchi:

Every structure has a weight limit that it could with stand before showing sign of stress.Sure bridges are meant to withstand a lot of stress and strain but with time it will start stressing the bridge.The engineers did not construct it so it can be used as a parking avenue for 1000s of kg trucks to be on it. E.g the bridges around ijora 7up
Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by jaegermesiter: 10:06am On Sep 23, 2015
All these na lack or urban and regional planning,why would you situate oil tank farms in the heart of a city,Thank God say dey didn't anticipate building the ikeja in dis our era,if not the foolish govt of now will go go and situate it in their backyard which is VI.
Re: Photos: Lagosians Resort To Trekking As Traffic Gridlock Persists by playahata: 10:17am On Sep 23, 2015
Sorry but Ambode does not come across as a leader and problem solver. It's not just in him unlike his predecessor for example. It's over 3months now and his presence is zero. What more evidence does one require?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ayu Replies Wike: I Didn’t Collect N1 Billion From Anyone, Leave My Family Alone / Ben Bruce, Dangote, AMCON and the Buhari Factor / Why North Won’t Allow Nnamdi Kanu Go On – Unongo, Northern Elders Forum Chairman

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.