Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,246 members, 7,807,834 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:18 PM

Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary - Culture (28) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (501499 Views)

We Need To See More Hausa And Fulani Girls Representing Nigeria And In Nollywood / Traditional/ Native Hausa And Fulani Names? / How Did The Populations Of The Igbo, Hausa, And Yoruba Come To Be So Large? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by StarFlux: 8:41pm On Jan 01, 2014
FOLYKAZE: I am in the middle here since I couldn't find direct indigenous words for somethings. There are many of these words which are said unnoticedly romancing it foreign lingua thereby loosing it original or local dialects. Here are some fruits which i couldn't find Yoruba word for;

Cashew
Tangerine
Fruit
Mango
Water Melon

I didn't include Apple because it not a fruit found here on our soil. Been that it is imported, foreign names would be imported too. What are the indigenous names for the fruits listed above? If the names could not be provided, does that mean the fruits were foreign fruits or the indigenous words for them are extinct? Would also appreciate other Indigenous names apart from Yoruba which those fruits are called.
I don't think there's a non-borrowed word for "cashew" - simply say èso kajú or just kajú.
Tangerine is called: ọsàn-òyìnbó
Fruit is simply called: èso
Mango is: mángòrò. I do not think it's a borrowed word, if it was why would it take this form instead of simply "mango" with a nasal A.
Water melon is ẹ̀gúsí-agbè. I've also heard èso bàrà/bàrà.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Dietrich92(m): 3:42am On Jan 06, 2014
I like this thread but so many pages to go through

Couldn't someone compile the words or such and organize it to a thorough dictionary?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Inkredible(m): 9:25am On Jul 08, 2014
What does ISE yen mean In yoruba?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by tempem: 4:10pm On Jul 08, 2014
Recently I read a Yoruba journal and there instead of awakò=Driver it was represented as direba!
What goes wrong? Has yoruba changed into 21century yoruba means of writing?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by tempem: 4:18pm On Jul 08, 2014
Inkredible: What does ISE yen mean In yoruba?
Isé-Yen = That- work
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by StarFlux: 7:38pm On Jul 09, 2014
tempem: Recently I read a Yoruba journal and there instead of awakò=Driver it was represented as direba!
What goes wrong? Has yoruba changed into 21century yoruba means of writing?
Anglicisation.

Haven't you watched these Yoruba movies where literally 60-70% of the spoken language is actually English. It's sad really. Yoruba has the agglutinative features to make it ideal for creating new words effortlessly. That as well as the already existing words.

"Direba, dokita, skuulu" is only the beggining I'm afraid. Fluency among youths is bottom low which is why you see these bastardized words making it into the language.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by tempem: 8:28pm On Jul 09, 2014
StarFlux: Anglicisation.

Haven't you watched these Yoruba movies where literally 60-70% of the spoken language is actually English. It's sad really. Yoruba has the agglutinative features to make it ideal for creating new words effortlessly. That as well as the already existing words.

"Direba, dokita, skuulu" is only the beggining I'm afraid. Fluency among youths is bottom low which is why you see these bastardized words making it into the language.
This is pathetic, I was even thinking yoruba language has narrowed itself through the 21th century English... Sad!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Efunlola: 12:52pm On Jul 17, 2014
Good morning,

I would really appreciate if someone can translate these three sentences from Yoruba to English.

1. Emo gbagbe nkan awe mi.olorun aje emi gha un rayin osu.

2. Awe oje kin join.

3. Mo nreti nkan awe mi o.

Thank You.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fightforchange1(f): 7:01pm On Jul 17, 2014
Aga ijoko—furniture
Aso—dress
Bawo ni—hello
Mo—i
Mi—my
Oniyi—awesome
Ara—body,skin
Kowe—write
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fightforchange1(f): 7:02pm On Jul 17, 2014
fightforchange1: Aga ijoko—furniture
Aso—dress
Bawo ni—hello
Mo—i
Mi—my
Oniyi—awesome
Ara—body,skin
Kowe—write
Yoruba!!!!!!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fightforchange1(f): 7:10pm On Jul 17, 2014
Ale—night
Owuro—morning
Oruko—name
Ciga—cigarettes
Mama
Agba—grandma
Alagbara—powerful
Narrow—tinrin
Fokii—fxck
Arugbo—old
Odo—young
Isokuso—weird
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fightforchange1(f): 7:22pm On Jul 17, 2014
Laipe
Yi—recently
Ijinna—distance
Ede—language
Awon
Omode—children
House—ile
Ounje—food
Kikoro—bitter
Otan
Mi—myheart
Navy—awon
Ologun
Oju
Omi
Dawn—idaji
Iwe—book
Ijo—dance
Omowa—ours
Tiwa—ours
Rewa—beauty
Didara—beautty
Ediye—chicken
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fightforchange1(f): 7:42pm On Jul 17, 2014
Mo kowe -I wrote
Mo soro-I spoke
Mo fun-I gave
Mo feran- I love
Mo mu- I took
Mo wa moto- I drove
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fightforchange1(f): 10:21pm On Jul 18, 2014
Oludumare—almighty.
Eleda mi—creator.
Dun—happy
Ibanuje—sad
Orun—heaven
Iku—death
Aye—Death
Iyawo—bride
Oko—husband
Buredi—bread
Kofi—coffee
Dokita—doktor
Dokita eyin—dentist
Irikuri—crazy
Odo—young
Arugbo—old
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Alikaxon(m): 9:32pm On Jul 27, 2014
What does "dollay ni ayi" mean in Hausa?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by tr3y(m): 4:06pm On Jul 28, 2014
Ndeewo,
Someone please translate Ngwanu and negodi and what is egg in igbo
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ambrosunny(m): 9:23pm On Jul 28, 2014
Can some help translate''I WILL PRAISE YOU'' and ''FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE''.? To Igbo and hausa and any other African or nigerian language you understand.THANKS
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 11:21pm On Jul 28, 2014
ambrosunny: Can some help translate''I WILL PRAISE YOU'' and ''FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE''.? To Igbo and hausa and any other African or nigerian language you understand.THANKS

Igbo - "Aga m enye gi otuto uwa m niile"

tr3y: Ndeewo,
Someone please translate Ngwanu and negodi and what is egg in igbo

Based on usage, 'ngwanu' can mean 'oya' (let's go) or 'goodbye'.

Negodi - "just look at"

Egg - akwa

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by guiddoti: 8:25pm On Jul 29, 2014
StarFlux: Anglicisation.

Your point is just perfect. It is one of the reasons I hate watching adulterated films, particularly yoruba, they will never speak 100% Yoruba without mixing it with English. Oyibo will never adulterated their language but rather build on it
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fightforchange1(f): 4:03am On Jul 30, 2014
Moferan
Aye
Mi!!!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fightforchange1(f): 9:01am On Jul 31, 2014
omo American nimi
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by fightforchange1(f): 9:05am On Jul 31, 2014
eDe yoruba mi dA
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Adeyemiopemipo(m): 3:23pm On Aug 01, 2014
GOD is almighty. Even culture exemplify the greatness of the LORD JESUS. Mention the name of GOD in your langouage that we can find no english word for. For instance, there is no english translation for the word OYIGIYIGI
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by bigfrancis21: 10:35pm On Aug 03, 2014
ambrosunny: Can some help translate''I WILL PRAISE YOU'' and ''FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE''.? To Igbo and hausa and any other African or nigerian language you understand.THANKS

M ga-enye gi otito na ndu m niine.
M(I) ga-enye(will give) gi(you) otito(praise) na ndu m niine(all the rest of my life).
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 1:36am On Aug 04, 2014
Anyone know what the name 'Mbakwo' might mean in Igbo or Ibibio?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by bigfrancis21: 7:00am On Aug 04, 2014
odumchi: Anyone know what the name 'Mbakwo' might mean in Igbo or Ibibio?

Don't you think it might be a dialectical version of 'Mbakwe' which means 'if the town permits'?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by odumchi: 12:44pm On Aug 04, 2014
bigfrancis21:

Don't you think it might be a dialectical version of 'Mbakwe' which means 'if the town permits'?

Someone told me it was her grandmother's nickname. I actually thought something along the lines of 'Mgbokwo', that is, assuming that the 'b' she wrote is actually pronounced as 'gb'.

(1) (2) (3) ... (25) (26) (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) ... (52) (Reply)

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.