Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,855 members, 7,806,416 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 04:09 PM

Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (501411 Views)

We Need To See More Hausa And Fulani Girls Representing Nigeria And In Nollywood / Traditional/ Native Hausa And Fulani Names? / How Did The Populations Of The Igbo, Hausa, And Yoruba Come To Be So Large? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 4:25pm On Sep 22, 2009
Vallerie:

wats "i miss you" in igbo?

E missirim gi! grin, Just kidding, but some people would say that, sorry, a lot of people would say that.

I think I miss you in Igbo would be , i dont know smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 5:06pm On Sep 22, 2009
I miss you - o na-ewute m na i noghi m nso (or n'akuku) . . . or. . . Agu ihu gi na-agu m
(stuff lovers say to each other)

OR, do you mean . . .

I miss you
- anaghi m enweta gi . . . or. . . enwetafughi m gi
(when you can't get a hold of someone)

ezeagu:

Let's make up a new Igbo word for Highway. I suggest Uzorukwu or Uzukwu. I didn't even notice that it could translate directly to 'highway' in English.

Then our High ways can have names like U15 or something, or maybe when we create an alphabet or our own symbols we can have Ω15  grin, Actually that sign looks like a [url=http://www.ezakwantu.com/Trade%20Beads%20Manilla%20Currency.jpg]manilla[/url], so it could be used as a currency symbol!
I don't know if you're serious or not, but to me, this idea doesn't sound bad at all.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 5:42pm On Sep 22, 2009
ChinenyeN:

I don't know if you're serious or not, but to me, this idea doesn't sound bad at all.

ChinenyeN:

I miss you - o na-ewute m na i noghi m nso (or n'akuku) . . . or. . . Agu ihu gi na-agu m
(stuff lovers say to each other)

OR, do you mean . . .

I miss you
- anaghi m enweta gi . . . or. . . enwetafughi m gi
(when you can't get a hold of someone)

I am serious, I want every sign, notice board, street, town, village, City (including Port Harcourt), club, school EVERYTHING to be in our native language, Igbo. Currency is obviously a problem because were in Nigeria (ugh) but if there was a proper federation, I would like for our currency to have symbols or images from the currency our ancestors used. E.g Have a manilla at the back of a coin, or have one side of a note filled with cowry security patterns.

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 5:52pm On Sep 22, 2009
Seeing that Okpogho coin made me smile. Is that authentic? Either way, authentic or not, can I somehow get one that say "IKPEGHE" in place of "OKPOGHO" and "NNAA" in place of "OTU"?
I like this idea of yours.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 9:43pm On Sep 25, 2009
ChinenyeN:

Seeing that Okpogho coin made me smile. Is that authentic? Either way, authentic or not, can I somehow get one that say "IKPEGHE" in place of "OKPOGHO" and "NNAA" in place of "OTU"?
I like this idea of yours.

it's a made up coin.

[size=5pt]1234th![/size]
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 12:20am On Sep 26, 2009
Oh okay. Is there a way I can get my own made up coin?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 10:24pm On Oct 03, 2009
Somebody translate these words in to Igbo shocked.

City
Town
Village
E mail
Identification grin
date
number
edit
pending
system
Electricity

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 10:26pm On Oct 03, 2009
ChinenyeN:

Oh okay. Is there a way I can get my own made up coin?

Photoshop.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by udezue(m): 1:59am On Oct 05, 2009
ezeagu:

Somebody translate these words in to Igbo  shocked.

City
Town
Village
E mail
Identification  grin
date
number
edit
pending
system
Electricity

Obodo  cheesy
Obodo 
Ogo
Imel
Ife eji mara gi / Ifejimaragi / Aidentifikeshon  grin
Ubochi
Nomba
I meghari / Imeghari
Ka na bia / Kanabia
Sistemu
Oku
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 1:06pm On Oct 05, 2009
Number - Onu Ogugu
System - Orunotu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by throttler(f): 4:00pm On Oct 05, 2009
[i][/i]igbo ochi----english laughter

hausa---dariya

yoruba---- undecided

who knows the yoruba word for laughter?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 11:16pm On Oct 05, 2009
udezue:

Obodo  cheesy
Obodo 

Ogo
Imel
Ife eji mara gi / Ifejimaragi / Aidentifikeshon  grin
Ubochi
Nomba
I meghari / Imeghari
Ka na bia / Kanabia
Sistemu
Oku

Translate: In a small town located in the biggest city in the west, I tried to send an e-mail for identification in order for me to pay my electricity bill, only to find out my details were pending on the system, to be edited by a moderator on a later date. Into Igbo  grin

grin We need to update our language, pronto.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 11:44pm On Oct 05, 2009
Email Address?

Shapes:

Square
Triangle
Rectangle, etc?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 2:23am On Oct 06, 2009
I want to give this a try. . .

Translate:
In a small town located in the biggest city in the west, I tried to send an e-mail for identification in order for me to pay my electricity bill, only to find out my details were pending on the system, to be edited by a moderator on a later date.

Translation:

N'ama nta no n'obodo dikarikasiri ukwu n'odida anwu, agbaliri m iziga ozi igwe e ji maara m ka m nwe ike ikwu ugwo oku m, bia achofuta na ihe nkowasi m ka na-eche ka onye njikata orunotu bia emegharia ya n'ubochi ozo.

Interestingly. . . The Igbo translation is shorter, when written. I also took the liberty of counting the syllables, and found that the English translation has 75 syllables, and the Igbo translation has 71 syllables.

Maybe our issue is not that Igbo is lacking. Maybe our issue is that most people are so much more accustomed to speaking English over Igbo, that it seems as if we're losing our fluency in Igbo.

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 1:24pm On Oct 06, 2009
ezeagu:

Translate: In a small town located in the biggest city in the west, I tried to send an e-mail for identification in order for me to pay my electricity bill, only to find out my details were pending on the system, to be edited by a moderator on a later date. Into Igbo  grin

grin We need to update our language, pronto.
Na obere ama di na obodo kacha ibe ya na odida anyanwu,a gbalirim i ziga ozi igwe komputa maka ihe puru iche e jiri mara m ka m were nwe ike ikwu ugwo oku m,bia choputa na ihe gbasara m ka no na system na eche mgbe onye modurator ga edeghari ya na ubochi ozo.
. . .just giving it a trial.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 3:29am On Oct 10, 2009
You guys should work on these translations then: http://www.google.com/transconsole
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 10:18pm On Oct 15, 2009
I've started participating in that Google translation thing. Its not too difficult.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by skybeauty(f): 10:24am On Oct 26, 2009
Translate in Igbo
worm
padlock
high heel shoe
train
foreign currency
park
romance
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 5:12pm On Oct 26, 2009
@Skybeauty
worm=okpo
padlock=igodo
high heel shoe=lekwa m ikpom shoe/kapusu cheesy
Train=Kuzie
Foreign currency=Ego oyibo/ego obodo ozo
Park=aaaama egwuregwu
Romance=nmekota ihunaya. undecided
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 5:37pm On Oct 26, 2009
high heel shoe - koi koi. grin
Park - Ohia izu ike undecided
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by AndreUweh(m): 10:33pm On Oct 30, 2009
ezeagu:

high heel shoe - koi koi. grin
Park - Ohia izu ike undecided
High heel shoe--Agbagha (as in Etiti and Nsu areas).
Park-Mbara.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 7:09pm On Nov 01, 2009
In Igbo

Nation
National
International
Card (as in travel card)
Travel
Paint
Pram
Table
Keyboard
Letters (of the alphabet)
Heater
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 10:53pm On Nov 01, 2009
Nation - Ala (name of place)
National - Nke Ala
International - Nke gbasara ala di iche iche
Card (travel card) - Akwukwo Njem
Travel - Njem
Paint - Amama
Pram - ??
Table - Agada
Keyboard - Piano or Typing Unit?
Letters (of the alphabet) - . . .
Heater - Nkpomoku
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by lightwalk(m): 2:03am On Nov 03, 2009
^^^How do you get these names? Are they conventional??
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 2:29am On Nov 03, 2009
ChinenyeN:

Nation - Ala (name of place)
National - Nke Ala
International - Nke gbasara ala di iche iche
Card (travel card) - Akwukwo Njem
Travel - Njem
Paint - Amama
Pram - ??
Table - Agada
Keyboard - Piano or Typing Unit?
Letters (of the alphabet) - . . .
Heater - Nkpomoku

Baby walker, keyboard for typing.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 5:35am On Nov 03, 2009
Lightwalk, those words are commonplace in my house. The only one that is a rather recent coinage is "Amama".

Ezeagu:
Pram - Ugbonwa
Keyboard - I know someone to have translated it to "oyorompiaka" ("collection [bunch] of keys [buttons]"-- literal translation).
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 11:16pm On Nov 03, 2009
I think paint is 'Uli'
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 11:52pm On Nov 03, 2009
If you prefer that, then yeah. That works to, but in my mind, I see "uri" as being more synonymous with "cosmetics" than just simply "paint", but that's just me. My mom also prefers to use "uri" when talking about "paint".
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 5:54pm On Nov 05, 2009
Shapes:
Circle - Gburu Gburu
Oval - Bọrọ Bọrọ
Triangle - Ọnụatọ (I guess. . ) -- (Ọnụ from the phrase "ịkpakọta ọnụ" -- "to collect/bring to a point"wink
Square - Nhataọnụanọ (I guess. .) -- (Ọnụ from the phrase "ịkpakọta ọnụ" -- "to collect/bring to a point"wink
Cylinder - [EDIT - better translation] Okpokoro
Sphere - Ọkpụrụkpụ (more like 'spherical', but it still works as 'sphere' or 'ball' depending on how you use it) or Ogbe (maybe)
----- I guess there is an Igbo word for 'ball' after all (although, dialectal).

I couldn't get all shapes, but at least I tried. All the above (with the exception of Triangle and Square) are dialectal because I simply don't know the general Igbo variants (if there are any). I'll also probably end up throwing out the translations for triangle and square, anyway. They doesn't associate well, in my mind.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by lightwalk(m): 3:10pm On Nov 08, 2009
Now I know why the Igbo vocabulary is so unconventional sad
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 5:58am On Nov 09, 2009
Sorry, Lightwalk. grin If I knew the general Igbo variants, I would have posted those instead, but I'm not conversant with general Igbo.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by AloyEmeka6: 2:37am On Nov 26, 2009
Someone please translate rape for me in all the three languages?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (52) (Reply)

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.