Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,000 members, 7,806,917 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:53 AM

Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary - Culture (37) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (501446 Views)

We Need To See More Hausa And Fulani Girls Representing Nigeria And In Nollywood / Traditional/ Native Hausa And Fulani Names? / How Did The Populations Of The Igbo, Hausa, And Yoruba Come To Be So Large? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by TheWayToZion: 6:17pm On May 14, 2016
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Americofficial: 2:24am On May 16, 2016
Hi guys, not sure this is the right place to post this but ive just joined and need some help with some igbo. Can anyone tell me what olugbajie boys are or means?

Thanks

Rico
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by RussiaWithLove: 12:00pm On May 20, 2016
Please can somebody help me with yoruba language? would like it to be through Skype, am one of those whose parents didn't install it. i can pay per hour through PayPal. My timezone is eastern standard, i know only the very basics but cannot hold down a conversation. let me know please
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by RussiaWithLove: 12:01pm On May 20, 2016
Please can somebody help me with yoruba language? would like it to be through Skype, am one of those whose parents didn't install it. i can pay per hour through PayPal. My timezone is eastern standard zone (U.S. East Coast), i know only the very basics but cannot hold down a conversation. let me know please, my email dodgersbaseball5@gmail.com
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Sayelabola(m): 7:32pm On May 20, 2016
[quote author=ifyalways post=3802952]In Igbo :
Birthday :[i]Ubochi a muru onye[/

My sister,

Phlegm in Yoruba is known as "kélébé".
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by AjaanaOka(m): 7:13am On May 21, 2016
Americofficial:
Hi guys, not sure this is the right place to post this but ive just joined and need some help with some igbo. Can anyone tell me what olugbajie boys are or means?

Thanks

Rico

"Olu gbajie boys" or "Onu gbajie boys" means something like "May boys break their necks". I haven't heard that expression in a long time. But when we were kids, very attractive girls were called "Olu gbajie boys" because it was said that boys would turn and twist (and break!) their necks while staring at such girls as they walked by.

I believe there was also a female hair braiding style known by that name.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ghettochyk(f): 9:15pm On May 23, 2016
Wow! Today I remembered Nairaland! lol! I haven't posted since 2010 and last logged in back in 2012. I remember I was mostly in the culture section after asking Seun to create the section. I wonder if all the other old heads are still here.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Seths(f): 11:40am On Jun 17, 2016
Hi guys i just joined in and i need some help with yuroba. can anyone tell me what the following means in yuroba:
good morning?
how are you?
how was your day?
what are you upto ?

thanks wink smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by StarFlux: 12:56am On Jun 23, 2016
Seths:
Hi guys i just joined in and i need some help with yuroba. can anyone tell me what the following means in yuroba:
good morning?
how are you?
how was your day?
what are you upto ?

thanks wink smiley

(E) kaaro
Bawo ni?
Bawo l'ojo re?
Ki'lo n sele?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Seths(f): 7:43am On Jul 04, 2016
thanks smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Ken24(m): 9:17am On Jul 07, 2016
some pls hep to solve ds brainstormin questn,it has its clue to d answer as osun state, it says" I took upon a mysterious figure hoping i will not be discovered, My hidden jewel were unlocked by the granddaughter of a deity, from the 1st to the seventh I flow with beauty know to no man." pls if u answer kindly PM pls.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 11:33am On Jul 22, 2016
ifyalways:
In Igbo :
Birthday :Ubochi a muru onye
celebration:Mme-mme/Emume
Phlegm:ajo aso/onu mmiri
Gold digger:Onye-ocho-nga-n'oko  cheesy
I think "Emume anuli/anwuli" for Celebration is better
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 11:36am On Jul 22, 2016
smile4kenn:
Obodo means place Ile means Home
Town e.g My town=Obodo m
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 11:38am On Jul 22, 2016
smile4kenn:
Obodo means place Ile means Home
Town e.g My town=Obodo m
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 11:53am On Jul 22, 2016
Ajokebelle you will find this interesting

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nestken: 10:42am On Jul 24, 2016
Kedu is how are you
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jul 31, 2016
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by DemonUnderSiege: 1:50am On Aug 03, 2016
AloyEmeka9:
Candle:

Igbo: Ori ona

Yoruba: ?

Hausa: ?

Key:

Igbo: Mgbachi .... key is igodo

Yoruba:?

Hausa:?

Padlock

Igbo: igodo

Yoruba:?

N/B:
If you have other translations like Benin, Fufulde, Efik, Ibibio, Urhobo etc please add them.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Aare2050(m): 2:15am On Aug 03, 2016
RussiaWithLove:
Please can somebody help me with yoruba language? would like it to be through Skype, am one of those whose parents didn't install it. i can pay per hour through PayPal. My timezone is eastern standard zone (U.S. East Coast), i know only the very basics but cannot hold down a conversation. let me know please, my email dodgersbaseball5@gmail.com

hello.
greetings from Nigeria.
I'm a graduate of Yoruba Language (BA.ED)

I can make you understand the language withing some weeks.
I've not been able to send message to your mail.
you can message me on akbams2020@gmail.com

note: money is not the issue, it's the passion and the interest you have in the language that matters.

message me let's start
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Aare2050(m): 2:19am On Aug 03, 2016
AloyEmeka9:
Candle:

Igbo: Ori ona

Yoruba: ? fìtílà/àbélà

Hausa: ?

Key:

Igbo: Mgbachi

Yoruba:? kókóró

Padlock

Igbo: igodo

Yoruba:? àgádágodo

N/B:
If you have other translations like Benin, Fufulde, Efik, Ibibio, Urhobo etc please add them.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by spakspoki86: 6:22pm On Aug 26, 2016
Hi,
Are you looking for the lattest books but you can't find them , and you can't buy them on AMAZON ??

Don't buy EXPENSIVE eBooks while you can find then much cheaper in my store.
I have access to a huge digital library, which contains Millions of eBooks. Simply send me an email at : spkspoki86@gmail.com and include the details of the eBook(s) that you're looking for.
I'll check and let you know if it's available. If so, each eBook would be $2 ONLY. These eBooks are PDF files that I'll send you via email and you can download them into your personal devices. There is no expiry or limitation on them.
Here how it works:
- If the eBook is available, then I'll email you the first 20-30 pages of the eBook as samples, so you can check the details and quality.
- After checking the samples, if you decided to purchase, then I'll take payment via Paypal and email you the complete eBook.

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by aribisala0(m): 6:55pm On Sep 04, 2016
ChinenyeN:
I can't claim to have any sort of answer to the 'ejima' question, speculative or otherwise. I can say though that I have thought about the etymology of 'ejima' before, and I too came to conclude that it was weird term. The problem I have had with 'ejima' is two-fold.

1. The lack of a satisfactory explanation of its etymology.
2. The lack of lexical variation.

Over the years that I have observed/studied Igbo, I've come to see Igbo words as being placed in one of three categories: Proto, Pre-colonial and Modern. Not much differentiates these categories except that the degree of lexical variation for general words decreases exponentially as one goes from proto to modern. There is also an apparent correlation between this downward trend in variation and the upward trend in traceable etymology. Of course, this isn't set it stone. It's more like a practically applicable, general guideline, except in cases like 'ejima'. The lack of a satisfactory etymological explanation tempts us to want to put 'ejima' farther back in lexical history. Yet, the occurrence of the word is completely devoid of any lexical variation whatsoever (to the best of our collective knowledge), tempting us to want to say that the word may be recent, relative to the time period between proto and modern. It's a paradox.

I can't claim to have any sort of resolution for the paradox, but one thing I am [mostly] convinced of is that 'ejima' does not have its roots in the proto period (but, I'm not a linguist, so my conviction is amateurish at best). I believe that if the lexical history of 'ejima' extended that far back (proto period), then there is an increased likelihood that the word would have since been displaced in at least a few of the surviving lects. If not that, then the sound shifts between proto and modern would have at least caused significant variation in pronunciation between lects. We see no evidence of either. We can also be sure that the word is not modern, because if it were, it's etymology would most likely be immediately traceable. With that, I'm tempted to say that occurrence of 'ejima' likely goes back to the pre-colonial period. It would take more critical thinking before either of us could lands on any satisfactory, speculative conclusion.

Is there a word for TRIPLETS?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by IhuomaOkorie: 3:43am On Sep 21, 2016
Hey guys, please take out some time to check out my blog: ihuomakelechi..com . I try to highlight important social issues (especially in Nigeria) through interesting stories smiley. Also, please don't forget to leave a comment and let me know what you think. Thanks!!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 2:58am On Sep 22, 2016
aribisala0:
Is there a word for TRIPLETS?

It will still be 'ejima'. At least, that is what I grew up hearing when people referred to multiple births of any kind.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by AjaanaOka(m): 3:32am On Sep 22, 2016
ChinenyeN:

It will still be 'ejima'. At least, that is what I grew up hearing when people referred to multiple births of any kind.

After two we just add the number to 'ejima'.

Hence, ejima ito, ejima ino, and so on.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 11:36pm On Sep 22, 2016
AjaanaOka:
After two we just add the number to 'ejima'.

Hence, ejima ito, ejima ino, and so on.

Very true. I've also witnessed that.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Ahmadgani(m): 9:33pm On Oct 01, 2016
Hausa speakers. pls what is the meaning of "kanka ake ji"
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by BammyCreations: 8:17am On Oct 10, 2016
Bammys' Creations present to you this wonderful Online Training.

Fee - #500 to bank
OR
#700 recharge Card

Do it yourself. Distance is not a barrier. learn how to make Ankara Crafts and Designs for yourself, family, friends and clients.Make money, look good, and be fulfilled....

Learn How To Make:
Bags
Sandals 
Shoe Coverings
Purse 
Clutches
Slippers
Note pads
Phone pouch
Hand fan
Jwellry box
Earrings
Bangles
Necklaces

AND SO MANY MORE....

This training includes:
•pictures (videos)
•list of materials and where to get them
•Question & Answer
•Detailed explanation

Be trained and train others.. This could be your door of success...(Smiles)

please interested ppl should whatsapp me via 07068834345

Remember standing out is a serious business.

KINDLY RE-BROADCAST
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by babyfaceafrica: 6:48pm On Oct 27, 2016
RussiaWithLove:
you still interested?

(1) (2) (3) ... (34) (35) (36) (37) (38) (39) (40) ... (52) (Reply)

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.