Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,976 members, 7,806,853 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:20 AM

Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary - Culture (48) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (501437 Views)

We Need To See More Hausa And Fulani Girls Representing Nigeria And In Nollywood / Traditional/ Native Hausa And Fulani Names? / How Did The Populations Of The Igbo, Hausa, And Yoruba Come To Be So Large? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by TAO11(f): 11:50pm On Mar 11, 2022
Ungodly:
Àmọ̀tẹ́kùn Is leopard
Yes.

And see the screenshot below. You gerrit?

4 Likes

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Jameseddi1: 7:18pm On Mar 14, 2022
TAO11:
DEBUNKED!

I have debunked this false video many, many times. See one of my comments below:

(1) Regarding your bitter lies about the trans-Atlantic slave trade, the following piece-by-piece devastating refutation:

(A) Contrary to your ignorance, captives weren’t taken from “all across Africa” as you imagined.

Rather, captives were taken from Central Africa and West Africa — including people from Benin kingdom whom the Nupe, the Ibadan, Ogedengbe, etc. raided.

(B) Contrary to your ignorance, the Yoruba people have long been known by the name Yoruba (and they’ve been living in their present homeland) for centuries prior to the period when ex-captives began to be returned to Africa.

We know this because the process of returning ex-captives back ‘home’ to West Africa didn’t begin until circa the late-1700s.

Whereas, there are manuscripts written in the early-1600s which list Yorubas (by their name Yoruba) among some of the ethnic groups of our region of West Africa.

This manuscript which was written by Ahmed Baba in 1615 is attached below.

The name Yoruba is shown in red highlight (among the other ethnic groups) as can be seen in the original manuscript as well as in the translation embedded below respectively:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12934148_5117c6d550154217817d7c66b5fa0fe6_jpeg_jpeg2a73d5172c14cf7a7da91ff200688e3e

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12934147_3336ed29985b499e82c4e140b455b9fa_jpeg_jpeg62ecafabb59c692d4ba471597fdf16bb

This translation was prepared by John Hunwick and Fatima Harrak for The Institute of African Studies Rabat, Morocco

Oh, I should add that we know that this manuscript was written by Ahmad Baba in the year 1615 because he himself penned his date as highlighted (in the attached verso) below:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/13082305_6e49d8d129844a578af9272699e1586a_jpeg_jpeg2d5891d724a6428e2c0f4e6898bd60cc

The highlight here literally shows the wording “(the year) one thousand and twenty four (of the Hijrah)”.

When converted from this Hijri “AH” calendar into our Gregorian “AD” calendar; the year 1024 AH falls into the year 1615 AD

The formula “D = 0.9692*H + 622” proves practically useful for this conversion.

In sum, your falsehood that returned-slaves (from all across Africa) are what became known as Yorubas is nothing but a but-hurt lie from a depressed bald-head.

(C) These ex-captives who were of West-African origin and Central African origin were repatriated directly to Sierra-Leone and Liberia.

Some began a new life there, while some decided to go back to their homeland from which they were taken ab-initio.

Nobody was repatriated to south-West Nigeria, bald-head.

A number of Yorubas among the returnees chose to return back to Yorubaland — just as many others who returned to their respective original homeland.

(2) The only ethnic-group whom I know of who couldn’t fight their way to freedom and be returned back to Africa are ……. [take a guess].

They couldn’t think of returning until about 400 years later when some of their descendants decided to tap into the science of Genetics as a guide to finding their way back home. ~ See video. below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxDve0rwQbM

The two attachments below also shows some earlier corroborative confessions made available to Dr. R. E. Bradbury by these people themselves.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12996709_af6378be36104010b036a2f7ab4096cd_jpeg_jpeg07ca8a3f5b191f4126cdcd6bf2f7faf7

www.nairaland.com/attachments/12996710_b28de88ee10a4b7a83b95532f6609396_jpeg_jpegaca1a6203806c9d893c79b42b9a6c76e

(1) Occupying a key site on the route from the Bend to Ife, Oyo was probably one of the earliest-founded provincial capitals in the Ife empire.

~ Robin Horton, “Ancient Ife,” (1979), p.115.

(2) A ”bight” is a feature of a water body (Atlantic ocean in this case).

Ife, in contrast, is deep in the Yoruba interior. It is in no way near the Atlantic coast.

How could the 1400s Portuguese then have named a part of the Atlantic Ocean (the bight) after it?

You see your life? cheesy See how you embarrassed yourself, family and friends.

(3) Yoruba is not one kingdom. It is a land of free-borns, where each of its many kingdoms has got some sovereignty.

As such, the bight could not have been named after a land as a whole. It was named after one of the two major polities near the coast — particularly the one which the Portuguese first had trade relations with.

Of the two major kingdoms near the coast in the late 1400s when the Portuguese first arrived, only Benin kingdom was willing to sell its people. The bight was thus named after that kingdom whom they knew.

*It wasn’t until in the 1520s before Benin embargoed the sale of its men (allowing only women) due to fear of depopulation of able-bodied men.

(4) First of all, Britain didn’t have any fight with Benin. It was a punishment, not a fight. It is called a “punitive expedition” for a reason. A punishment in relation to which Ovoramwen recanted and trembled in court.

Imaging “canning” a child as a punitive measure for mis-behaviors, and then the child suddenly turning around to say s(he) had a fight with you. No be juju be that? cheesy

There was no reason to punish Ife, hence no such expedition happened there. Instead, they helped to end the ongoing wars within Yorubaland.

(5) The country called Benin Republic did not take its name from Benin kingdom. Neither does it relate to Benin kingdom.

The country’s former name was “Dahomey” — a name which doesn’t reflect the diverse ethnicities in the country.

The name “Benin” (after the bight which the country sits on) was then settled for due to its neutrality.

In the late 19th century French colonizers making inroads from the coastal region into the interior borrowed the name of the defeated Dahomey kingdom for the entire territory that is now Benin; the current name derives from the Bight of Benin

~ https://www.britannica.com/place/Benin

In contrast, an entire group of people in today’s Togo, have insisted to be known by the name IFE. Yes, it is the “Ife” of present Nigeria they want to be associated with.

Yoruba language is being spoken in Benin Republic. Tell me where (outside of Edo state) Bini language is beinig spoken. cheesy

Peace! cheesy

Edoid is speaking in Ondo anyway forge about language Rome and Greece own the home to most European but their language can’t be compered to English of yesterday.

According to you here Benin was in near the Atlantic Ocean that why they name the bale bight of Benin so what you trying to say now is that. Itshekiri Lagos was always under Benin kingdom I mean this 2 place was dependent tribe of Benin until the fall of Benin.

Because the last time I check Nigeria map it only Itshekiri Lagos that near the Atlantic Ocean Edo seat above Lagos and Itshekiri.

You agreed to a claim today tomorrow you will want to twist it again @Tao11 way
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by TAO11(f): 10:27pm On Mar 14, 2022
Jameseddi1:
[s]Edoid is speaking in Ondo anyway forge about language Rome and Greece own the home to most European but their language can’t be compered to English of yesterday.

According to you here Benin was in near the Atlantic Ocean that why they name the bale bight of Benin so what you trying to say now is that. Itshekiri Lagos was always under Benin kingdom I mean this 2 place was dependent tribe of Benin until the fall of Benin.

Because the last time I check Nigeria map it only Itshekiri Lagos that near the Atlantic Ocean Edo seat above Lagos and Itshekiri.

You agreed to a claim today tomorrow you will want to twist it again @Tao11 way[/s]
(1) Edo is NOT ‘spoken in Ondo’.

(2) Edoid language(s) are NOT ‘spoken in Ondo’.

(3) Yorùbá language is the language ‘spoken in Ondo’.

(4) Regarding the phrase “bight of Benin”, I’m not sure about your dog-shit, but my precise words are:

“It was named after one of the two major polities near the coast — particularly the one which the Portuguese first had [slave] trade relations with”.

In other words it was based purely on convenience & acquaintance.

Cheers.

9 Likes

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Jameseddi1: 9:56pm On Mar 21, 2022
TAO11:
(1) Edo is NOT ‘spoken in Ondo’.

(2) Edoid language(s) are NOT ‘spoken in Ondo’.

(3) Yorùbá language is the language ‘spoken in Ondo’.

(4) Regarding the phrase “bight of Benin”, I’m not sure about your dog-shit, but my precise words are:

“It was named after one of the two major polities near the coast — particularly the one which the Portuguese first had [slave] trade relations with”.

In other words it was based purely on convenience & acquaintance.

Cheers.

Benin was never near the cost and according to you Portuguese first had relationship with Itshekiri and Lagos before Benin. Now why did they named the bale bight of Benin?

I know you are a professional in twisting issues lol.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Jameseddi1: 10:11pm On Mar 21, 2022
Lagos and Itshekiri are the people near that cost and are same people Portuguese meet first according to you but why did they named that bay or gulf from Itshekiri to Dahomey bight of Benin if Benin land wasnt geographically covering both Lagos and Itshekiri then.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by TAO11(f): 11:21pm On Mar 21, 2022
Jameseddi1:
Benin was never near the cost and according to you Portuguese first had relationship with Itshekiri and Lagos before Benin. Now why did they named the bale bight of Benin?
(1) Dummy! cheesy “On the coast” is different from “near the coast”. Anyway, See the first attachment below.

(2) Yes, the Portuguese did have trade relations with Itsekiri before Benin — this is according to me Benin traditions.

(A) However, they didn’t trade at all with Lagos in the 1470s. They (de Sequeira’s team) only explored Eko-Aromi-re (Lagos) in the 1470s.

(B) The Binis had more of what the Portuguese really needed than the Itsekiris or others at/near the coast.

These items specifically include melegueta pepper & the ọba’s slaves — i.e. Binis.

(C) As such, the Portuguese obviously had significantly more trade relations with the Binis than Itsekiris, et al.

(D) In light of these historical facts, even the dumbest Bini mind would realize that the phrase Bight of Benin is based on acquaintance.

See the highlights in the second attachment below for a reminder.

[s]I know you are a professional in twisting issues lol.[/s]
Eeyah. Sorry that I keep adducing facts to debunk your heritage of lies. cheesy

Cheers.

6 Likes

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Jameseddi1: 1:26am On Mar 22, 2022
TAO11:
(1) Dummy! cheesy “On the coast” is different from “near the coast”. Anyway, See the first attachment below.

(2) Yes, the Portuguese did have trade relations with Itsekiri before Benin — this is according to me Benin traditions.

(A) However, they didn’t trade at all with Lagos in the 1470s. They (de Sequeira’s team) only explored Eko-Aromi-re (Lagos) in the 1470s.

(B) The Binis had more of what the Portuguese really needed than the Itsekiris or others at/near the coast.

These items specifically include melegueta pepper & the ọba’s slaves — i.e. Binis.

(C) As such, the Portuguese obviously had significantly more trade relations with the Binis than Itsekiris, et al.

(D) In light of these historical facts, even the dumbest Bini mind would realize that the phrase Bight of Benin is based on acquaintance.

See the highlights in the second attachment below for a reminder.

Eeyah. Sorry that I keep adducing facts to debunk your heritage of lies. cheesy

Cheers.

One thing you should know is this Edo state is across lagos and Itshekiri to the north Edo state is never close to the costal Atlantic gulf at all and I wonder why they named it gulf of it. Or maybe you don’t even know what gulf or bay means. If Lagos was near the gulf and the gulf was named Benin instead of Lagos it proofs all your preaching in nairaland land since wrong.

Naming that place bight of Benin again this also means Lagos and Itshekiri was just one or 2 different state of the Benin nation or kingdom then.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Jameseddi1: 1:28am On Mar 22, 2022
According to the definition you brought it said the territory was miss with Forrest which is the present day Edo state now and swamp wich is present day Lagos and Itshekiri. Even your definition prove you wrong
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by TAO11(f): 7:09am On Mar 22, 2022
Jameseddi1:
[s]One thing you should know is this Edo state is across lagos and Itshekiri to the north Edo state is never close to the costal Atlantic gulf at all and I wonder why they named it gulf of it. Or maybe you don’t even know what gulf or bay means. If Lagos was near the gulf and the gulf was named Benin instead of Lagos it proofs all your preaching in nairaland land since wrong.

Naming that place bight of Benin again this also means Lagos and Itshekiri was just one or 2 different state of the Benin nation or kingdom then.[/s]
Sorry, I’m causing you so much tears: cheesy See link and attachment. Read slowly this time around.

https://www.nairaland.com/261964/nairaland-official-igbo-hausa-yoruba/47#111246634

Cheers.

7 Likes

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by TAO11(f): 7:33am On Mar 22, 2022
Jameseddi1:
[s]According to the definition you brought it said the territory was miss with Forrest which is the present day Edo state now and swamp wich is present day Lagos and Itshekiri. Even your definition prove you wrong[/s]
The so-called “definition you brought” actually never mentioned the word “Lagos” or “Itsekiri” anywhere in any part of that article.

You’re clearly delusional enough to see what does not appear in the article — i.e. “Lagos” and “Itsekiri”.

Instead of seeing the reality that your “Edo state” itself actually include its riverine areas which comprises of mangrove swamp vegetation.

I’m sorry but not sorry that I keep exposing your for the fool that you are.

Cheers.

7 Likes

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Jameseddi1: 8:26am On Mar 22, 2022
TAO11:
Sorry, I’m causing you so much tears: cheesy See link and attachment. Read slowly this time around.

https://www.nairaland.com/261964/nairaland-official-igbo-hausa-yoruba/47#111246634

Cheers.

And so why did they give the gulf of Lagos and Itshekiri bights of Benin you mean the Portuguese were still lying as well?

So you don finally transfer your debunking agenda from Benin to European Portuguese, Netherland, French. Who named that bay
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by TAO11(f): 8:44am On Mar 22, 2022
You’re slow to learn — but at least you’re learning.

Jameseddi1:
And so why did they give the gulf of Lagos and Itshekiri bights of Benin you mean the Portuguese were still lying as well?
Ask this question in English.

And there is nothing called gulf of Lagos or gulf of Itsekiri though. cheesy

So you don finally transfer your debunking agenda from Benin to European Portuguese, Netherland, French. Who named that bay
Re-type this — in English this time around. cheesy

Cheers.

6 Likes

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Jameseddi1: 9:12am On Mar 22, 2022
TAO11:
You’re slow to learn — but at least you’re learning.

Ask this question in English.

And there is nothing called gulf of Lagos or gulf of Itsekiri though. cheesy

Re-type this — in English this time around. cheesy

Cheers.

Bight/bay or gulf of Benin was named by the European before Nigeria was created.

Gulf definition: a deep inlet of the sea almost surrounded by land, with a narrow mouth.
Bay definition: a broad inlet of the sea where the land curves inwards.

Now you have seen what bight of Benin means so to name a place bight it must have her land close to the body of ocean(Atlantic Ocean)

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Jameseddi1: 9:21am On Mar 22, 2022
Now the current Edo state or Benin do not have her land close to any sea or ocean now what must be the reason European named all southern Nigeria bay ( last land border Atlantic Ocean) bight of Benin?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by TAO11(f): 9:28am On Mar 22, 2022
Jameseddi1:
[s]Now the current Edo state or Benin do not have her land close to any sea or ocean now what must be the reason European named all southern Nigeria bay ( last land border Atlantic Ocean) bight of Benin?[/s]

Jameseddi1:
[s]Bight/bay or gulf of Benin was named by the European before Nigeria was created.

Gulf definition: a deep inlet of the sea almost surrounded by land, with a narrow mouth.
Bay definition: a broad inlet of the sea where the land curves inwards.

Now you have seen what bight of Benin means so to name a place bight it must have her land close to the body of ocean(Atlantic Ocean)[/s]
(1)Benin is not on the coast of the Atlantic ocean, but it is near the coast of the Atlantic Ocean. ~ Refer to the first screenshot again.

(2) And Benin doesn’t have to be on the Atlantic coast (although it is near the Atlantic coast) for its name to be adopted for the bight by its European customers.

(3) For instance, the whole of the Gulf of Western and Central Africa was named after Guinea; simply for the same reason — namely that, the early Europeans had significant trade relationship with the Guinea.

Again, it’s all based on convenience & acquaintance.

Cheers.

7 Likes

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Jameseddi1: 9:47am On Mar 22, 2022
TAO11:

(1)Benin is not on the coast of the Atlantic ocean, but it is near the coast of the Atlantic Ocean. ~ Refer to the first screenshot again.

(2) And Benin doesn’t have to be on the Atlantic coast (although it is near the Atlantic coast) for its name to be adopted for the bight by its European customers.

(3) For instance, the whole of the Gulf of Western and Central Africa was named after Guinea; simply for the same reason — namely that, the early Europeans had significant trade relationship with the Guinea.

Again, it’s all based on convenience & acquaintance.

Cheers.

What you are saying is European lied to have named that location bight of Benin or they only named it because they have trade connections with Benin. Was it Benin fault that it kingdom or empire were in control in all southern Nigeria then.

And yes the guinea you said also have it land bordering Atlantic Ocean and that must be their reason for name.

If you think that not also the reason they named bight of Benin it means you are saying the European also lied in favor of Benin.

You are the only correct person even the world is lying if not on your imagination favor.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by TAO11(f): 10:14am On Mar 22, 2022
Jameseddi1:
[s]What you are saying is European lied to have named that location bight of Benin or they only named it because they have trade connections with Benin. Was it Benin fault that it kingdom or empire were in control in all southern Nigeria then.

And yes the guinea you said also have it land bordering Atlantic Ocean and that must be their reason for name.

If you think that not also the reason they named bight of Benin it means you are saying the European also lied in favor of Benin.

You are the only correct person even the world is lying if not on your imagination favor.[/s]
The Europeans named the bight after Benin.

The Portuguese traded much with Benin for pepper & the ọba’s slaves (Binis) which the Portuguese sought.

Guinea, on the other hand, is not near Nigeria region. It is no where near Central Africa too.

Yet the gulf of the Atlantic from Senegal to Cameroon in west and central Africa is named after Guinea.

Not only that, the forest region of west Africa & some parts of central Africa forest is named after Guinea.

Again these naming of names is based on the name of the places with which the Portuguese had significant trading — i.e. the names they are acquainted with.

Cheers.

8 Likes

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Jameseddi1: 11:21am On Mar 22, 2022
TAO11:

The Europeans named the bight after Benin.

The Portuguese traded much with Benin for pepper & the ọba’s slaves (Binis) which the Portuguese sought.

Guinea, on the other hand, is not near Nigeria region. It is no where near Central Africa too.

Yet the gulf of the Atlantic from Senegal to Cameroon in west and central Africa is named after Guinea.

Not only that, the forest region of west Africa & some parts of central Africa forest is named after Guinea.

Again these naming of names is based on the name of the places with which the Portuguese had significant trading — i.e. the names they are acquainted with.

Cheers.

Yes this European traded with Itshekiri wich was more close to Atlantic Ocean than Benin.

As I said before guinea bordering Atlantic Ocean so by this it has a gulf. So naming a lot of Region to country that has a gulf with the Atlantic Ocean do not change or contradict anything. Any gulf or bay must have boders with sea or ocean.

But present day Benin or Edo do not have gulf close to the Atlantic Ocean and naming it bight of Benin a place that is not bordering Atlantic Ocean in anyway has a lot of contractions to do with most of your past narrative of Lagos and Itshekiri were not in the geographic area of the Benin kingdom then.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by TAO11(f): 5:26pm On Mar 22, 2022
What manner of trash is this boy writing? How old are you sef?

Jameseddi1:
[s]Yes this European traded with Itshekiri wich was more close to Atlantic Ocean than Benin.

As I said before guinea bordering Atlantic Ocean so by this it has a gulf. So naming a lot of Region to country that has a gulf with the Atlantic Ocean do not change or contradict anything. Any gulf or bay must have boders with sea or ocean.

But present day Benin or Edo do not have gulf close to the Atlantic Ocean and naming it bight of Benin a place that is not bordering Atlantic Ocean in anyway has a lot of contractions to do with most of your past narrative of Lagos and Itshekiri were not in the geographic area of the Benin kingdom then.[/s]
Benin city is not in the geographical area of “Guinea”.

Yet the land on which Benin city stands is named after Guinea. cheesy

Or are you implying that Guinea owns Benin city?

Las-las you would receive sense and realize that the Europeans named the gulf, bight, forest, etc. after the places they are more acquainted with, & not because they thought Guinea owns Benin city for example.

Cheers. cheesy BTW, use your @gregyboy account.

7 Likes

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Jameseddi1: 10:44pm On Mar 23, 2022
TAO11:

Las-las you would receive sense and realize that the Europeans named the gulf, bight, forest, etc. after the places they are more acquainted with, & not because they thought Guinea owns Benin city for example.

You are the one writing trash here keep deceiving your fellow Yorubas.

The only Guinea I know is the Gulf of Guinea Which was named by the European because it is bordering Atlantic Ocean. You can go re check in Africa map.

As we read before gulf is a place bordering sea or ocean.

Present day Edo is not bordering any sea or ocean. madam rest oh we dor catch you for this one.

Anyway sha the world know the full southern Nigeria was among the old Benin kingdom no amount of your twisting and 19thc tunde write up can change the fact.

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Jameseddi1: 10:48pm On Mar 23, 2022
European named Gulf of Guinea because it had a gulf and truly it has.

Benin don’t have but why the name it a simple question that you are twisting up and down. Nawa

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by TAO11(f): 12:05am On Mar 24, 2022
Jameseddi1:
[s]European named Gulf of Guinea because it had a gulf and truly it has.

Benin don’t have but why the name it a simple question that you are twisting up and down. Nawa [/s]

Jameseddi1:

[s]You are the one writing trash here keep deceiving your fellow Yorubas.

The only Guinea I know is the Gulf of Guinea Which was named by the European because it is bordering Atlantic Ocean. You can go re check in Africa map.

As we read before gulf is a place bordering sea or ocean.

Present day Edo is not bordering any sea or ocean. madam rest oh we dor catch you for this one.

Anyway sha the world know the full southern Nigeria was among the old Benin kingdom no amount of your twisting and 19thc tunde write up can change the fact.[/s]
Nope! Guinea is originally a place in West Africa. ~ See first attachment.

However, the whole of lower-West Africa lands (from Senegal through Ghana, Togo, Yorubaland, your Benin city, and all the way to the cameron) was named after Guinea. ~ See second attachment.

In other words, the very land upon which your Benin city stands is named after the place called Guinea.

Do you insist that this means that Guinea is the owner of your Benin city?

Or do you agree with me that Guinea is simply one of the place with which the early Portuguese had trading relations significantly; and as such they chose its name to describe a vast expanse of West-African land (plus your little Benin) based on acquaintance

Your Benin is no where near where Guinea is located, yet the very land on which Benin city stands is named after Guinea. (See the first attachment for the distance between the Guinea area and your Benin dotted red in the Nigeria area).

In conclusion, the great distance between Guinea and your Benin city doesn’t stop the early Portuguese from naming your Benin’s land after Guinea.

Similarly, the very small distance between your Benin and the bight/coast doesn’t stop the early Portuguese from naming the bight after Benin.

Benin had much of what the Portuguese seek (pepper & the ọba’s slaves) and thus traded a lot than with any other group in our region.

The bight was thus named after Benin (in the same way as your Benin’s land among other lands were named after Guinea) on the basis of acquaintance.

Cheers.

12 Likes

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Christistruth00: 11:18pm On Mar 26, 2022
Jameseddi1:

Yes this European traded with Itshekiri wich was more close to Atlantic Ocean than Benin.

But present day Benin or Edo do not have gulf close to the Atlantic Ocean and naming it bight of Benin a place that is not bordering Atlantic Ocean in anyway has a lot of contractions to do with most of your past narrative of Lagos and Itshekiri were not in the geographic area of the Benin kingdom then.

The Benin River flows into the Gulf Of Benin

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Jameseddi1: 2:04pm On Mar 29, 2022
TAO11:

According to well know Itshekiri man they as on of the few state of Benin nation work hand together in selling slaves but this bitch Tao11 think otherwise.

Itsekiris and the Binis had Igbo slaves for centuries before British colonialism. After the British banned slavery, we were forced to set them free. Some of them returned to Igbo land, others remained with us and gradually formed a new language called ******* (an Itsekiri word which we used to call them while they were our slaves). There are about 200,000 ******* still with us.
(I will not reveal the name of this tribe called *******, because I do not want to offend them, but they are in Delta state)
If they speak, an Igbo person will understand some of what they say, while Itsekiris, Binis and even European Portuguese people will understand them too. Those of them who chose to return to Igbo land have Igbo names that sound like Itsekiri or Benin names, for example Iweka, and many names beginning with Oba or Iken.
That is how some of our names and also Benin names went into the Igbo lexicon.
We have century old carvings in Ode Itsekiri and Benin depicting Igbo slaves, which we sold to the Portuguese via our ancient pre colonial port called Ogidigben. The grandfather of the present Oba of Benin showed some of these carvings to the world famous British anthropologist, Sir David Attenborough in 1973. The video is on YouTube. When you see the carving, even you will have no doubt that the person is Igbo.
Because of the sheer number of Igbo slaves we sold at Ogidigben, the Portuguese named the town Escravos, which means slave in Portuguese. Till today, many people still call Ogidigben Escravos.
We also sold slaves in another town called Burutu, which the Portuguese renamed Forcados (meaning forced labourer, which is a nicer way of saying slaves).
Obviously, I am not too proud of this history. I wish it never happened. History is not always pleasant. I am only revealing it to you because you are getting the wrong idea of linkages between our two peoples

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by TAO11(f): 7:31pm On Mar 29, 2022
Jameseddi1:
[s]According to well know Itshekiri man they as on of the few state of Benin nation work hand together in selling slaves but this bitch Tao11 think otherwise.

Itsekiris and the Binis had Igbo slaves for centuries before British colonialism. After the British banned slavery, we were forced to set them free. Some of them returned to Igbo land, others remained with us and gradually formed a new language called ******* (an Itsekiri word which we used to call them while they were our slaves). There are about 200,000 ******* still with us.
(I will not reveal the name of this tribe called *******, because I do not want to offend them, but they are in Delta state)
If they speak, an Igbo person will understand some of what they say, while Itsekiris, Binis and even European Portuguese people will understand them too. Those of them who chose to return to Igbo land have Igbo names that sound like Itsekiri or Benin names, for example Iweka, and many names beginning with Oba or Iken.
That is how some of our names and also Benin names went into the Igbo lexicon.
We have century old carvings in Ode Itsekiri and Benin depicting Igbo slaves, which we sold to the Portuguese via our ancient pre colonial port called Ogidigben. The grandfather of the present Oba of Benin showed some of these carvings to the world famous British anthropologist, Sir David Attenborough in 1973. The video is on YouTube. When you see the carving, even you will have no doubt that the person is Igbo.
Because of the sheer number of Igbo slaves we sold at Ogidigben, the Portuguese named the town Escravos, which means slave in Portuguese. Till today, many people still call Ogidigben Escravos.
We also sold slaves in another town called Burutu, which the Portuguese renamed Forcados (meaning forced labourer, which is a nicer way of saying slaves).
Obviously, I am not too proud of this history. I wish it never happened. History is not always pleasant. I am only revealing it to you because you are getting the wrong idea of linkages between our two peoples[/s]
According to a well known Itsekiri man” or what did I just read?? grin grin grin

You’re naturally ret@rded clearly. cheesy cheesy

Until you adduce actual contrary historical evidence to my submissions and evidence (or cite a historian), then you remain a joke.

Remember, your evidence should show that the land on which your Benin city stands was not named after Guinea — as far away as it is. cheesy

Cheers.

6 Likes

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Jameseddi1: 8:01pm On Mar 29, 2022
TAO11:
According to a well known Itsekiri man” or what did I just read?? grin grin grin

You’re naturally ret@rded clearly. cheesy cheesy

Until you adduce actual contrary historical evidence to my submissions and evidence (or cite a historian), then you remain a joke.

Remember, your evidence should show that the land on which your Benin city stands was not named after Guinea — as far away as it is. cheesy

Cheers.

Reno Omokri (born 1974) is a Nigerian lawyer, bestselling author and human rights activist. He is also the star of a travel documentary series, Reno Around the World. He is well known Itshekiri man
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by TAO11(f): 1:03am On Mar 30, 2022
Jameseddi1:
[s]Reno Omokri (born 1974) is a Nigerian lawyer, bestselling author and human rights activist. He is also the star of a travel documentary series, Reno Around the World. He is well known Itshekiri man[/s]
Lmao

You can bring on your Reno Omokiri when next we’re discussing APC vs. PDP — not even Nigerian Law. cheesy

For now I’m discussing history, so you’re only allowed to cite from historians; not Nigerian political jobbers.

And when you eventually do, don’t forget your task of proving that the land on which your Benin city stands wasn’t named after Guinea — as far away as Guinea is from your Benin city.

Kisses kiss Peace cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Jameseddi1: 2:06am On Mar 30, 2022
TAO11:
Lmao

You can bring on your Reno Omokiri when next we’re discussing APC vs. PDP — not even Nigerian Law. cheesy

For now I’m discussing history, so you’re only allowed to cite from historians; not Nigerian political jobbers.

And when you eventually do, don’t forget your task of proving that the land on which your Benin city stands wasn’t named after Guinea — as far away as Guinea is from your Benin city.

Kisses kiss Peace cheesy

Close your mouth bitch. What do woman know accept d**k. your own dor too much you claim you know history and you don’t even know anything. Reno Omokiri an Itshekiri man from Royals, state documented fact how Benin geographically covered what is now know as Itshekiri before and together them and Benin sold Ebo as slaves.

But a hole want us to leave nobles from Royals house of Itshekiri documented scrolls facts and believe her.

And least you are not even Itshekiri or lagosian.

This bitch want you to leave citizen of a place and believe her that she know more. Fool
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by TAO11(f): 2:26pm On Mar 30, 2022
Jameseddi1:
[s]Close your mouth bitch. What do woman know accept d**k. your own dor too much you claim you know history and you don’t even know anything. Reno Omokiri an Itshekiri man from Royals, state documented fact how Benin geographically covered what is now know as Itshekiri before and together them and Benin sold Ebo as slaves.

But a hole want us to leave nobles from Royals house of Itshekiri documented scrolls facts and believe her.

And least you are not even Itshekiri or lagosian.

This bitch want you to leave citizen of a place and believe her that she know more. Fool[/s]
Why are you crying? Did I even touch you? So why are you even crying? cheesy

Anyway, I didn’t ask to see your tears. All I asked for is that you cite only historians, and not political jobbers like Reno — I’m not discussing APC vs PDP here.

And whenever you eventually agree to cite historians, make sure to mention where they’d said that the land on which your Benin city stands was not named after Guinea — as far away as your Benin is from Guinea.

Kisses kiss

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Empiree: 2:02am On Apr 04, 2022
Prioritizing Native Language

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w5KJ3dw3dM
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Simonokeh7(m): 2:10pm On Jul 02, 2022

(1) (2) (3) ... (45) (46) (47) (48) (49) (50) (51) (Reply)

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.